The Mad Monkey Reviews

Building 26, Street 302, BKK1 Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Awesome hostel, great location, and always has something going on every night. Easy way to also meet other travellers. Highly recommended.

I stayed here twice as it's a well run hostel. It's clean, the bar is great & the staff in the restaurant & the bar are lovely. the staff on reception can be selective when they want to be helpful which can be a bit irritating. When trying to ask advice on onward travel, they're a bit vague. Security is good but watch your belongings when you're out! it isn't as social as other mad monkeys but it's ok :)

I stayed 2 nights and must say it's one of the cleanest and most comfortable hostels I've stayed in. Security is great, food at the restaurant is excellent allbeit on the more expensive side. This place is aimed mainly towards the younger crowd so it was quite noisy especially seeing as the rooftop bar is right next to the dorm, bring your earplugs if you're not partying as you'll need them to sleep through the night.

Great value. Rooms and bathrooms are clean. Staff are helpful and service in the restaurant is good. Location is in a good neighborhood, but a short drive to most of the attractions.

Best Western food! pub crawl every night. Tuktuks in front of the door 24/7

Amazingly friendly staff always ready to help. Great facilities with an entirely separate restaurant and rooftop bar. Enjoyed it so much I booked with the same chain in a different city.

Mixed feelings...This hostel has a great social vibe and they are full every night. The food they serve is nicely priced. Bathrooms slightly dirty. Looks like they only clean them once a week. And some of the rudest reception staff ever. They definitely don't care about their guests. Yet, the restaurant staff were amazing.

From the moment I arrived there was 1 young lady at the reception who didn't seem to like her job. She was rude & wasn't paying a lot of attention while the other staff was very happy. I stayed for 2 nights but after coming back the first day ( I went out sight seeing)there was someone else in my bed; my stuff was gone. The same girl from C-I helped me but she told me I didn't pay for the 2 nights while I did. I even signed for 2 nights on the C-I sheet. Instead of helping out she blamed me

Awesome place, really clean and felt safe. There was everything you needed, and the food in the restaurant was delicious. Mostly though the staff here were really incredible, nothing was too much trouble and they we're so friendly.

The staff are a little "in their own world" at this hostel much friendlier and helpful at the Siem Reap mad monkey. Its also located quite a bit from anything going on, so if you dont mind A $1/$2 tuk Tyneside then its pretty good. The restraint had some good food and the bar upstairs was pretty neat, was a little wierd that half the hostel is across the street from the other half. Good party atmosphere and decent price I would remlcomend this place to mostly the 21 and younger crowd though.

Cool hostel. Nice rooms. Good sized beds. Awesome bar. Friendly staff. Wish the lockers were a bit quieter and the toilet and shower was separate.

Great place to stay. Always have special offers on drinks and love the bazucca challenge.

• 12th Apr 2014

We stayed around Khmer new year, the room was great but the staff weren't particularly helpful when we trying to organise transport out of phnom phen / anywhere really. Prices here are higher both in their restaurant and the tuk tuks they use. We'd suggest finding your own tuk tuk to trips to the killing fields etc.

Mad monkeys is a great place to stay especially to meet other backpackers!!! Had a great time there... Definitely a must. The staff are great to .. So helpful and always happy.

One off the best in PP, nice clean rooms ( 8 bed with AC and 2 bathrooms was perfect). Restaurant is excellent and the bar upstairs is a great spot for meeting people to party with! Staff always appear busy but they can get you tours and tickets sorted easily if u persist. Laundry can be done cheaper elsewhere.

Really had a great time staying here. It may have helped that I was here only on a weekend because right next to my room was the bar, which was usually loud until 11:30 or so. But the environment was really nice, and I was happy to go to the bar each night. Good accomodations, friendly and helpful staff, and good facilities.

• 4th Apr 2014

Beautiful and friendly staff, reliable ac, big private double room with ensuite. Ask staff if you want your room cleaned. Good restaurant, tuk tuks always nearby, lots of places to eat nearby - try Malis. Buses were easily booked by staff, good vibe. Will be staying there again. A bit noisy before 1am due to the rooftop bar but we managed to sleep no problems.

Good food and nice common area but the room was like a sauna could barely sleep

Overall the hostel is good, it is a little noisy but no more than the average back packer hostel, music is off by 11/12 too. The staff are helpful with organising trips buses etc. it's a great stop to explore pp. food is good and not too expensive. We are staying here again on our way back through pp. the private rooms are very good, ac big comfortable, well worth the extra couple of quid. I would reccomend a stay here! Be careful with wet floors, I slipped and really hurt my knee!

There were a lot of bugs in the bathroom. The room doesn't have windows and due to kitchen proximity we had Lost of smells in the room. Apart from that there were all night parties upstairs and the rumour was extreme. The food was two or tree times more expensive than in the city, and not very tasty too.This hostel is good for party animals backpackers. I don't like this place at all.