The Mad Monkey Reviews

Building 26, Street 302, BKK1 Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

1930 Total Reviews

The dorm I stayed in was under the roof top bar and the sound of scraping chairs and furniture went on all night. Also I came back to room one day find a master set of keys in the door lock. No one was in the room, cleaning, and thankfully no one else had gotten in either. Very disappointing and unsettling.

Great for solo travellers. Party hostel but party continues elsewhere after 12am so you can get your sleep. Fun and great value for money

Went here after staying at mad money kampot (which was great and would highly recommend) but a bit disappointed with my stay in Phnom Penh. Wifi didn't work for the duration of the stay and when I asked about it they couldn't tell me why or when it would be working again. Reception weren't very helpful. Bedrooms and bathroom clean but had a nasty smell. Highlights were good bar and good food in restaurant. Nice big beds with large lockers underneath.

Friendly staff. Modern clean hostel.

• 30th Aug 2015
  • British Virgin Islands

Great place!

• 29th Aug 2015
  • Israel

Stayed at the Mad Monkey hostel in Siem Reap which was great so I chose to stay in it at Phnom Penh too, probably not as good as the one in Siem Reap but still a really good hostel. The hostel served slightly expensive but good food and the bar was really lively in the evening making it easy to meet people and start a good night out.

Fun place to meet other backpackers!

I stayed in mad monkey while I was looking for a place to live in Phnom Penh. The staff is very busy, but helpful. If you are traveling by yourself and looking to meet backpackers, this is definitely the place to be. This place offers quick visas for Vietnam, and other places, so even as an expat I use them sometimes. Great place!

Probably the best hostel I've ever stayed at - a perfect set up for backpackers. Food was fairly average though, you can get a better meal for the same price/cheaper elsewhere in the city

Mad monkey pretty much has it all. The only thing is it's far as hell from everything. I don't mind walking but most people get tuk tuks and they add up eventually. Good hostel though. Wifi worked nearly everywhere for me. Actually stayed 3 nights

What I liked: the downstairs cafe bar area - great to meet people. Private rooms and shared bathrooms very clean. All staff were so friendly. What I didn't like: people from other hostels used the bar therefor would just walk about hostel (not very secure). Stayed in shared dorm first 2 nights and ended up having everyone from bar in my room one night and also people from bar using dorm toilet if bar toilet in use. Breakfasts are so nice but expensive.

Mad monkey is divided into two -first is where the rooftop bar & restaurant are located and the second is like an old mansion. We stayed at the old mansion house and it was very nice! Our room was very spacious too especially for 4 ladies. Since bars are already closed by 12MN, you can bring beers inside your room and drink. I would say the best part of Mad monkey was their bar restaurant. They offer delicious food from breakfast to dinner and beers for a late night chill!

The staff were so unwelcoming and unfriendly. The room was like a prison. The girl who showed it to us used our loo to look at herself before we even got to use it after a 12 hour journey. The restaurant is also really expensive! However, they get you having fun in the bar and take you to other bars and clubs. We had a great night out there, which I think is the main of the hostel.

We only had one night in the Mad Monkey due to timing but would have loved to have stayed longer! The dorms were good, the location was great and it had a great social side to it! They have there own bar which has a really good atmosphere, perfect place to start the night out and was really busy when we were there! The food is the restaurant was fantastic!

Had a fantastic time at this hostel! Great atmosphere and staff. I would highly recommend anyone visiting the city to stay here.

Everything about the hostel was amazing. Very social, food was good and staff were amazing. Can't wait to come back next year!

Good place to stay, beds are clean and quiet, laser tag, lots of grenades to drink but this definitely is a party hostel, not a place to chill.

Perfectly nice but nothing special, honestly wasn't overwhelmed by the bar or the movie room. Be warned we booked for an 8 person dorm room and got put in a 22 person dorm room which was kind of annoying and pretty loud even at night.

Nice place if you like to party. Major construction next door to some of the dorms that started at 5 am.

Absolutely brilliant hostel. Everyone's loving it, it's cheap as chips for what you get, just don't go there if you're looking to be in bed by 10 for a quiet night sleep. Would 100% come back