The Mad Monkey Reviews

Building 26, Street 302, BKK1 Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Good place for solo travelllers to meet others. Dorms fairly spacious and kept very clean. Bar upstairs is busy most nights but shuts before midnight for those wanting to sleep. Restuarant downstairs serves excellent khmer and western food but is slightly pricier than your average backpacker budget would normally stretch to. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Wow! What an incredible hostel! Great location away from the chaos but only $2 to the riverside. Efficiently run by friendly young staff. Wide selection of pristine rooms at affordable rates. Great place to stay for one night or a week. The restaurant is fantastic and offers a great variety of really tasty grub. The hotel boasts a social responsibility and should be praised for its fantastic achievements. This place is really special and definitely worth a visit, highly recommend staying.

The hostel is everything that you would want while travelling. It is located in a good area, within easy tuk tuk/cab from popular attractions and night life. The hostel is split between two buildings 100m apart from one another. The rooms are spacious and clean, with the highest bunk beds I've ever experienced. Would definitely recommend.

I was amazed how friendly the Cambodian staff were even the cleaners were keen to have a chat. The beds are huge and comfortable. The dorm I stayed in was a bit too big however and the toilets consistently busy. The rooftop bar is great and goes off most nights. Food in the restaurant however is more expensive than usual but still very tasty.

Awesome.........

Hostel had everything we wanted for a stay in Phnom Penh, rooms and beds were very clean and comfortable. Bar and restaurant were an added bonus and a provide a great social environment, bar shuts at 11pm and the evening continues at another bar with free tuktuk journey. Hostel is located in an upmarket area and a short tuktuk ride is required to get in to 'tourist town' on the river. Staff were great, would recommend.

I really have no idea how mad monkey is because they didn't hold my reservation which granted I was 20 minutes later then I had booked for but when a girl outside told me it was given away at 7pm and I was due to arrive at 11pm the night porter was so drunk he could bearly stand and told me I could sleep on the couch before the manager came out then absolutely refused to give my booking deposit back. Granted only a small amount of money more about principal. Don't stay here

The best place I've stayed in Phnom Penh.

Had a really good stay here, the rooftop bar was packed the night we were there and everyone went out together after some competitive beer pong. The dorms had were spacious with comfortable beds, good quality bathrooms and good A/C. They had no towels to rent/borrow which wasn't particularly helpful but if that's the worst thing to say about a place it can't be all bad! I'd stay here again if I returned to Phnom Penh.

A very nice, clean hostel with some of the biggest dorm beds I have ever slept in. The staff was not overly friendly but were still helpful. Only drawback is that the location could be better.

The Mad Monkey PP has something for everyone: quiet private rooms in the villa, more lively dorms in the main buildings. All off them come with good facilities, although the wifi-signal in the villa is too weak. But the nice sunset bar and the restaurant with excellent breakfast options really make up for it. Just take your electronic devices there! Recommended for all walks of life!

Mad Monkey is now a big machine. It sucks you in on arrival and spits you out again on departure. And in between you are processed close to perfection. But it has lost some of its human touch. Food is exciting, dorms are spacious and clean, toilets were clogged, reception was efficient and helpful, exept the big guy there is not really cool monkeying his South Texan accent that was hardly understandable for me as average second language English speaker.

CONS: 1. The staff on reception are RUDE. 2. Cockroach and big ants in my room. 3. My room didn't even lock, you could force the door open. 4. One night we were offered a 'free' tuk tuk to the bars, and then our driver practically assaulted us asking for money PROS: 1. Sensational bar and great atmosphere. 2. Good location 3. GREAT food and SUPER friendly kitchen staff. 4. What they do with profits to benefit under privileged kids. 5. Pretty sweet rooms with great air con.

We enjoyed our stay here, we liked the chilled out atmosphere and the staff were very helpful.

Awesome atmosphere at this hostel with good food, friendly staff and some really cool wall paintings. Sadly we wanted to sleep early some days and couldn't because of the noise from the "sunset bar" which was right next to our room, so be aware of this if sleep and a quiet environment are important to you. Also the wireless internet got really slow during the evening hours, possibly because of the adjacent bar as well?

Love this place, wish I wasn't in a hurry so I could stay longer :)

Stayed in a dorm for one night on my way through. Great place, the dorms are a sensible size (6) and the beds are huge! Sunset bar had a great atmosphere for the Friday BBQ and I met a couple of really nice people there. The staff here are very well treated and they treat you nicely as a result, without being overly polite or apologetic or any of the other terrible traits that come with low pay. I enjoyed being spoken to as an equal, it was refreshing!

I booked my stay at the Mad Monkey Hostel in November 1 through Hostel World. 2 days before going to the Mad Monkey Hostel, I received an e-mail from book@monkeyhospitalitygroup.com saying that my stay was cancelled. I did not cancel it. Upon arriving at the hostel, I was informed that it was automatically cancelled without my permission. I was guaranteed a booking at Mad Monkey from Hostel World but it was cancelled. It was extremely inconvenient. I demand you refund me my $5.20.

• 15th Nov 2013
  • Philippines

Fun, clean, great place to stay!

Huge room and beds, located on a dirt road so messy when raining. Great value for money but building work going on just now. Very helpful staff and location fairly central, free pickup from airport by tuk tuk if you notify them.