The Mango Tree Reviews

Prudente de Moraes, 594, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Fantastic. We're a couple in our late 20's & we stayed for 8 nights in a private double ensuite. The room was spacious and clean. The shower was hot and powerful. All staff were really friendly and helpful which hugely contributed to our fantastic stay in Rio. Not much of a party hostel but we weren't really looking for that and once we met more guests we got together for a night out and staff have flyers for all nights out. Breakfast great, maybe get another power socket so both appliances work

• 9th Sep 2014

Really enjoyed our stay- would highly recommend it. Beautiful place.

• 9th Sep 2014

Close to metro station, staff were friendly, helpful and informed, breakfast was more than adequate, all in all 'The Mango Tree' was more than I hoped for. I will be staying there again next year.

Everything was great but I have two important suggestions: one is to offer free coffee during the day. And I had 2 issues, 1, the TV had no signal. I called the responsible, she said she will fix it and she never did, It is true that we didn´t go to Rio to watch TV, but I was nice if I could relax on my bed with some local television, that´s why I paid the deluxe room.

Open space with green wooded area provide pleasant enviromnment while having breakfast that is included in price. Staff is friemdl and cooperative and location is excellent, very close to IPANEMA Beach and good access to public buses.

Amazing Stay in the heart of Ipanema; the hostel is nice and cosy, very well located and the staff is friendly and super helpful. On top of this the common areas are vast and comfortable and perfect to meet other travellers. Highly recommend!

• 15th Aug 2014

Wonderful location and friendly staff.

My second time staying in this hostel on the same trip. Great location one block from ipanema beach posto 9. Nice buffet breakfast. Beds are comfortable and rooms cleans. Would recommend.

Very nice hostel, excellent location: close to the beach and to restaurants and bars, very good value for money, nice breakfast. Safes are provided. Staff is friendly, but could give a little more information.

Really Nice Stay.! great location, relaxing atmosphere, very clean and comfortable. Really helpful and lovely staff.!

• 19th Jul 2014

Great hostel!

I really enjoyed my stay. The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful about recommendations. I only wish I could have stayed more time.

Location is good. Staff are awesome, owners/managers are not. Unprofessional - scolding young child infront of guests for something small. Hesitant to provide a refund for the difference in a price drop, make excuses. The internet was horrible, not dependable, if you have to work, send emails, communicate, book flights/ buses, transfer cash/ receive online money transfer you cannot depend on the connection here. Bar is amateur, bad drinks, expensive prices. Used tissues in bed upon arrival

• 11th Jul 2014

Sorry you didn’t enjoy our hostel but thanks for commenting. Thanks for praising our staff, they do a great job; sorry about the tissues had we known we would’ve changed the sheets; the poor internet was due to a dodgy router now replaced; you were upgraded from a dorm to a luxury double ensuite as requested but only the next day as we were full. Our bar is simple and cheap, beers cost R$4, caips cost R$8. Parenting style rated in a hostel review? We´re frankly too gobsmacked to respond.

Loved our stay here. Couple in private room shared bathroom. Great location stones throw from beach, bank, restaurants, and shops. Great breaky and fully equipped kitchen. Great staff who were really helpful and great guys, booked tours for us no dramas and even joined us in there own time. Really social hostel but not a party hostel by any means, just perfectly chilled and nice open bar area/courtyard. Our dbl private was adequate and well kept. No complaints only recommendations.

Spanish girl at the front desk and bar was INCREDIBLE. Very friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and spoke various languages. The bathrooms could use a little more attention after morning and evening showers. Pricing was good relative to other hostels, but expensive in general due to the world cup. The atmosphere would probably be better outside of the world cup actually, as mostly dudes were in Rio and the crowd just wasn't very diverse.

• 28th Jun 2014

I had a fantastic time at the Mango. So close to the beach, and right in front of the restaurant where "the girl from Ipanema" was written. The staff at the bar was very nice, and the people at the front desk very cordial. It was too bad that they close the common area in the bar at 10:00 (even on weekends). I met fantastic people, the dorms were clean and the bathrooms were clean as well. I really enjoyed my stay and the location was fabulous! Definitely recommend it.

• 26th Jun 2014
  • Colombia

Really excellent hostel. 9 weeks traveling so far and one of my favourite stays so far. Comfortable beds, clean bathrooms, good kitchen, solid breakfast, very helpful front desk and the location speaks for itself. Stayed up the road at lemon spirit before coming to mango tree. Mango tree is better value for money in every sense. The staff are genuinely helpful and friendly and the whole place lacks that fake "trying too hard to be your friend" vibe you get from some of the party hostels.

Nice hostel with good security and close to the beach. Clean hostel with good breakfast.

Amazing location, but sort of felt more like a hotel than a hostel in that people kept to themselves more and were more vacationers than travelers. Great place for groups who want to go to the beach and bars in the area and are not too limited by a budget (the area is very expensive).

Our room didn´t ligth and the administration only put a advise, room very small and, one door for two rooms, men´s bath in first floor not inside room.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels