The Mango Tree Reviews

Prudente de Moraes, 594, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Good place to stay in Rio. Great location. Wifi doesn't work.

I loved staying at mango tree hostel! The atmosphere is great and the location is amazing.

I had the best time when I stayed in Mango Tree! The staff was very friendly and welcoming when I arrived and the location to Ipanema Beach is super! The breakfast was just what I wanted and during the weekend the Mango Tree bar was perfect place to start your night out. I've med alot of new friends during my stay at Mango Tree and the people at the hostel did alot of tours and activities together which was a good way to meet the others. Thank you Mango Tree, my next trip to rio I'm coming back!

• 2nd Jan 2015
  • Sweden

No wifi available in the private rooms. The wifi only works in the bar area and when no one was there. If there was more than 3 people it would be slow. I paid NYE rates, so for triple the amount of money I would at least expect decent wifi. It really hindered my research during this time.

Excellent location - so close to Ipanema beach and the metro station. Really helpful staff. Had a great time here for New Years 2014/2015. Would recommend.

The Mango Tree is one of the nicest places I have stayed in South America. It really feels more like a home. I made friends with a lot of the staff and met some great people here. The location is amazing. 1 block from Ipanema beach and close to the supermarket and plenty of bars and restaurants. Ipanema also felt like a really safe area compared to other parts of Rio I visited. Breakfast is also great. My only fault would be the three tier dorm beds. Not fun if you are at the top!

Stayed here my first night in Rio, when I arrived the British receptionist asked me 3 times to make sure I payed him before his shift finished. I hadn't even put my bag down in my room yet. I think it was a bit pushy. Also it was very hot that day and although the rooms at night are air-conditioned and fine, there is no cool place to relax and stay cool during the day and evening. Okay for one night but I was glad to change hostel the next day.

The hostel is just across from the beach and there are nice bars/restaurants nearby and being a couple of minutes from the metro and a bus stop outside makes it easy to get around. The biggest downside of this hostel is that you have to leave the common area at 10pm, you can sit at the front of the hostel but it's not as good

Mango Tree is a chilled out hostel with limited atmosphere and a lot of people keeping themselves to themselves. The wifi went down for a day when I was there and is not great at the best of times. It could really benefit from more enthusiastic staff as they couldn't really care less while I was there. The "Bar" closes early and doesn't really have the punters to make it a fun place to be.

The location is amazing! The only problem was the mosquitos...

Extremely noisy, far too expensive for what you are paying, poor security and DIRTY. The only good thing about this hostel is the location. See my longer review on tripadvisor (lauraleeds666)

Okay hostel. However the toilets and baths appered to be not so clean. Small rooms, a bit crowded. Lovly breakfast and freindly staff.

The young girl on reception was lovely and very helpful. location was excellent but could do with bringing the weekend atmosphere to the whole week.

The hostel is in a great location. Just one block back from Ipanema beach. Very clean with a good kitchen. The only negative comment I have to make relate to the reception staff. Firstly the reception staff are the worst I've ever come across travelling. They are not helpful nor friendly. Expect to be given no information or the wrong information. Luckily the manager at the hostel is lovely, so she made our stay a good one. If the rest of the staff were better this would be a 10/10 hostel.

• 29th Sep 2014

The staff weren't very attentive and helpful, twice cabs were called for me that delivered me to areas I didn't specify. They just didn't seem to care and weren't overly approachable.

The hostel is located one block from the beach. Excellent location. The staff are not very helpful and not very friendly either. The private rooms are very nice. I stayed one night at the 8 bed dorm. The dorm is nice and has plugs and night lights for each bed however there is not much space.

The place definately benefits from its ideal location in Ipanema, which makes it a very safe place and only a stones throw away from the beach and that's what you pay for. Besides this it is an average hostel. Service is even poor. Noone seems to know anything about the surrounding. They even don't know how to get to the main attractions like the sugar loaf and the Christ statue but give you wrong indications and wrong bus numbers. In general there's a lack of communication with the hostel staff

Fantastic. We're a couple in our late 20's & we stayed for 8 nights in a private double ensuite. The room was spacious and clean. The shower was hot and powerful. All staff were really friendly and helpful which hugely contributed to our fantastic stay in Rio. Not much of a party hostel but we weren't really looking for that and once we met more guests we got together for a night out and staff have flyers for all nights out. Breakfast great, maybe get another power socket so both appliances work

• 9th Sep 2014

Really enjoyed our stay- would highly recommend it. Beautiful place.

• 9th Sep 2014

Close to metro station, staff were friendly, helpful and informed, breakfast was more than adequate, all in all 'The Mango Tree' was more than I hoped for. I will be staying there again next year.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels