The Mango Tree Reviews

Prudente de Moraes, 594, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Don't bother staying anywhere else in Rio. Mango Tree has it all -- great location, great staff, great guests, great facilities, and a whole lot of charm.

This place is all about the location! Really close to Ipanema beach and many restaurants. Common area is nice, but the dorms were rather run down and there were only shutters, no windows, so quite a lot of mosquitoes at night; also a lack of sockets. Bathroom not quite clean enough. However, breakfast was quite good and staff was reliable, friendly and helpful in organizing transportation or tours, which worked pretty well. As said before, the location is excellent in the heart of Ipanema!

The Mango Tree Hostel is a great place to stay in Rio da Janeiro. Good location and excellent staff. In my opinion the only problem is the noise in the rooms 4 and 5. It is a busy avenue , so it is difficult to sleep in these rooms.

We had a bad experience at this hostel owing to a shockingly rude manager. A misunderstanding relating to when our bill was due resulted in us being shouted at, bullied and disrespected. After the manager admitted the error was the fault of the hostel, I got nothing more than an insincere apology and only after he was prompted to do so. I feel this kind of treatment of guests is unacceptable and it is an embarrassing display of the unprofessionalism of the manager/staff of this hostel.

This hostel is in a great location one street back from the beach. However, its location feels sheltered and there is always someone on reception watching who enters and leaves the hostel. The rooms are simple, comfortable and cleaned daily. The bar area is a great place to meet people and has a really good atmosphere most of the time. The staff are generally OK but some members of reception tend to seem a little stand-offish. Not my favourite hostel in Rio but I'd definitely go back!

Thu location is amazing, perfect! But the facilities and cleaness could be much better.

• 20th Mar 2015

Awesome location! You can go walking to the beach taking nothing else than your sandals. Great breakfast and very close to good bars and restaurants. Very easy to take taxis in front of it. Very good private rooms for couples. Staff could be more caring. The TV remote was missing when I got there, so I asked for 3 different people but no one provided it to me in the whole week I stayed there.

Good place to stay in Rio. Great location. Wifi doesn't work.

Fairly priced - considering the excellent location and alternative offers. The staff was very friendly and they gave nice advice on Rio and things to do. Furthermore, they helped us book tours/transfers etc.

I loved staying a the mango tree hostel! Location is perfect, the rooms are spacious and clean, and there is a nice patio in the back. I would definitely go back!

I loved staying at mango tree hostel! The atmosphere is great and the location is amazing.

I had the best time when I stayed in Mango Tree! The staff was very friendly and welcoming when I arrived and the location to Ipanema Beach is super! The breakfast was just what I wanted and during the weekend the Mango Tree bar was perfect place to start your night out. I've med alot of new friends during my stay at Mango Tree and the people at the hostel did alot of tours and activities together which was a good way to meet the others. Thank you Mango Tree, my next trip to rio I'm coming back!

• 2nd Jan 2015