The Mango Tree Reviews

Prudente de Moraes, 594, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Great location and nice hostel to stay in with DVDs and relaxing areas. Not a party hostel but there are plenty nearby. Lack of toilets/showers though.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We are quite surprised about your comment regarding the showers. We have 5 communal bathrooms with a total of 7 showers and 6 toilets, these are shared by only 30 people as most rooms have ensuite bathrooms. This means that there is one for every five people. They can get busy if everyone comes back from the beach at the same time, however, the wait is usually not long.

The best hostel ever! Great staff and good opportunities to find great company!

The place is nice, but its a little bit old and not clean.

• 19th Jul 2013
  • Mexico

I had a fabulous time, as a solo traveler I found the social atmosphere perfect, everyone gathers in the evening at the bar and many go out go together to fun planned events. It was a very inclusive group with a wide age range. I particularly loved the fresh passion fruit cocktails. After 10 it was always quiet at the hostel as the party would move elsewhere , sleeping was never a problem on the nights I chose to stay in.

• 11th Jul 2013

Great time at the Mango Tree. We only stayed 2 nights as the hostel was fully booked, but would have loved to stay longer. Spent a long time comparing hostels before arriving in Rio - this place should be your first choice. Amazing breakfast as well.

• 10th Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland

Very friendly. Great location. I'll be back. Thanks. AB.

• 1st Jul 2013
  • Costa Rica

Perfect location! We had a double with private bathroom and it could have been amazing, great shower, good bed, nice people etc. but there was an awful smell when we first entered the room and this didn't go away during our stay. We told reception and they basically gave us the idea that we were crazy, although more so the girl than the guys. They sprayed something which didn't help and that was it. The smell even got into our luggage so that we had to wash all our clothes twice once we got home

• 28th Jun 2013

Excellent location, 1 block from the beach. Staff was friendly and helpful. Common area was nice but a little dull, hostel did not seem like a "party hostel" if that's what you're looking for. Dorm rooms were small but bathrooms were clean and spacious, and there were lots of outdoor areas where you could hang out.

Great very clean, comfortable hostel with friendly staff. Great location only 2 blocks from the beach! Nice breakfast.

• 8th Jun 2013

The staff at Mango Tree is unbelieveably amazing. I kept going back and was gutted when they were booked up and I had to move. The atmosphere is very relaxed and there is always a good vibe around Mango Tree. Location is amazing, just one block from Post 9 Ipanema beach. I stayed in rooms 4, 8, and 10. Each had its ups and downs just as any room would. Everything is clean, which is the most important I think. You must stay at Mango Tree if you plan on staying in Ipanema!!!!

• 8th Jun 2013

Great hostel in Ipanema. Great location, nice hostel, helpful staff, very sociable place.

• 1st Jun 2013

Brilliant hostel in a great location. Staff were very helpful but was pretty pricey!

Breakfast was great, awesome location, some staff were very helpful and friendly

Perfect place to stay in Rio. Beds are comfy, its a good shower, theres a nice breakfast and its in the perfect location.

The staff is very nice and helpful, but the owner is very unfriendly!

That was an awesome experience in Rio!! The hostel is near (1 block) to the beach Ipanema, to the Rodrigo do Freitas lake, to copacabana and 1 block to McDonalds also d: Most of the staff of the hostel are extremely kind (just one is grumpy) the breakfast is basic but delicious! Really advisable!! Only they have to tell about the cat in the hostel, because many people is allergic to them...

• 24th May 2013
  • Mexico

Mango tree is a pretty awesome hostel. You won't want for anything - good bathrooms, hot showers, good lockers, good beds, great breakfast, good bar, helpful staff, good tours, good security, perfect location 1 block from the beach and in the best district. It is quite expensive compared with other hostels, so because of that, if I had to suggest anything, it would be nice to have a shelf and some hooks in the dorms to make things easier, and maybe mosquito nets on the windows. :)

Nice place and nice staff. A good option if you're looking to stay at Rio's beaches.

I stayed at Mango Tree for about 10 nights and I had an amazing stay there. The hostel is only a block away from Ipanema Beach, and other parts of the city are easily accessible by bus. The hostel has a very laid-back and fun vibe and is a great place to meet other travelers. However, what really makes the hostel incredible is the staff - very cool, fun and helpful! (Renata, Mateus, Richard & Michael - thanks for evrything!!!)

I've been travelling in Brasil for 4 months, and everytime I go to Rio I've stayed at mango tree! it is just because I know that no other place can beat it! The staff is just wonderful, really helpful and friendly. The atmosphere is really nice, always meet new friends there, and the breakfast is really good! The service is really good, the staff will always help you with what you need! It is also really close and easy to go to the beach! Can't say anything bad about it! Love mango tree! :)

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels