The Mango Tree Reviews

Prudente de Moraes, 594, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Don't bother staying anywhere else in Rio. Mango Tree has it all -- great location, great staff, great guests, great facilities, and a whole lot of charm.

This place is all about the location! Really close to Ipanema beach and many restaurants. Common area is nice, but the dorms were rather run down and there were only shutters, no windows, so quite a lot of mosquitoes at night; also a lack of sockets. Bathroom not quite clean enough. However, breakfast was quite good and staff was reliable, friendly and helpful in organizing transportation or tours, which worked pretty well. As said before, the location is excellent in the heart of Ipanema!

The Mango Tree Hostel is a great place to stay in Rio da Janeiro. Good location and excellent staff. In my opinion the only problem is the noise in the rooms 4 and 5. It is a busy avenue , so it is difficult to sleep in these rooms.

We had a bad experience at this hostel owing to a shockingly rude manager. A misunderstanding relating to when our bill was due resulted in us being shouted at, bullied and disrespected. After the manager admitted the error was the fault of the hostel, I got nothing more than an insincere apology and only after he was prompted to do so. I feel this kind of treatment of guests is unacceptable and it is an embarrassing display of the unprofessionalism of the manager/staff of this hostel.

This hostel is in a great location one street back from the beach. However, its location feels sheltered and there is always someone on reception watching who enters and leaves the hostel. The rooms are simple, comfortable and cleaned daily. The bar area is a great place to meet people and has a really good atmosphere most of the time. The staff are generally OK but some members of reception tend to seem a little stand-offish. Not my favourite hostel in Rio but I'd definitely go back!

Thu location is amazing, perfect! But the facilities and cleaness could be much better.

• 20th Mar 2015

Awesome location! You can go walking to the beach taking nothing else than your sandals. Great breakfast and very close to good bars and restaurants. Very easy to take taxis in front of it. Very good private rooms for couples. Staff could be more caring. The TV remote was missing when I got there, so I asked for 3 different people but no one provided it to me in the whole week I stayed there.

Good place to stay in Rio. Great location. Wifi doesn't work.

Fairly priced - considering the excellent location and alternative offers. The staff was very friendly and they gave nice advice on Rio and things to do. Furthermore, they helped us book tours/transfers etc.

I loved staying a the mango tree hostel! Location is perfect, the rooms are spacious and clean, and there is a nice patio in the back. I would definitely go back!

I loved staying at mango tree hostel! The atmosphere is great and the location is amazing.

I had the best time when I stayed in Mango Tree! The staff was very friendly and welcoming when I arrived and the location to Ipanema Beach is super! The breakfast was just what I wanted and during the weekend the Mango Tree bar was perfect place to start your night out. I've med alot of new friends during my stay at Mango Tree and the people at the hostel did alot of tours and activities together which was a good way to meet the others. Thank you Mango Tree, my next trip to rio I'm coming back!

• 2nd Jan 2015
  • Sweden

No wifi available in the private rooms. The wifi only works in the bar area and when no one was there. If there was more than 3 people it would be slow. I paid NYE rates, so for triple the amount of money I would at least expect decent wifi. It really hindered my research during this time.

Excellent location - so close to Ipanema beach and the metro station. Really helpful staff. Had a great time here for New Years 2014/2015. Would recommend.

The Mango Tree is one of the nicest places I have stayed in South America. It really feels more like a home. I made friends with a lot of the staff and met some great people here. The location is amazing. 1 block from Ipanema beach and close to the supermarket and plenty of bars and restaurants. Ipanema also felt like a really safe area compared to other parts of Rio I visited. Breakfast is also great. My only fault would be the three tier dorm beds. Not fun if you are at the top!

Stayed here my first night in Rio, when I arrived the British receptionist asked me 3 times to make sure I payed him before his shift finished. I hadn't even put my bag down in my room yet. I think it was a bit pushy. Also it was very hot that day and although the rooms at night are air-conditioned and fine, there is no cool place to relax and stay cool during the day and evening. Okay for one night but I was glad to change hostel the next day.

The hostel is just across from the beach and there are nice bars/restaurants nearby and being a couple of minutes from the metro and a bus stop outside makes it easy to get around. The biggest downside of this hostel is that you have to leave the common area at 10pm, you can sit at the front of the hostel but it's not as good

Mango Tree is a chilled out hostel with limited atmosphere and a lot of people keeping themselves to themselves. The wifi went down for a day when I was there and is not great at the best of times. It could really benefit from more enthusiastic staff as they couldn't really care less while I was there. The "Bar" closes early and doesn't really have the punters to make it a fun place to be.

The location is amazing! The only problem was the mosquitos...

Extremely noisy, far too expensive for what you are paying, poor security and DIRTY. The only good thing about this hostel is the location. See my longer review on tripadvisor (lauraleeds666)

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7