The Mango Tree Reviews

Prudente de Moraes, 594, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The Mango Tree is one of the nicest places I have stayed in South America. It really feels more like a home. I made friends with a lot of the staff and met some great people here. The location is amazing. 1 block from Ipanema beach and close to the supermarket and plenty of bars and restaurants. Ipanema also felt like a really safe area compared to other parts of Rio I visited. Breakfast is also great. My only fault would be the three tier dorm beds. Not fun if you are at the top!

Stayed here my first night in Rio, when I arrived the British receptionist asked me 3 times to make sure I payed him before his shift finished. I hadn't even put my bag down in my room yet. I think it was a bit pushy. Also it was very hot that day and although the rooms at night are air-conditioned and fine, there is no cool place to relax and stay cool during the day and evening. Okay for one night but I was glad to change hostel the next day.

The hostel is just across from the beach and there are nice bars/restaurants nearby and being a couple of minutes from the metro and a bus stop outside makes it easy to get around. The biggest downside of this hostel is that you have to leave the common area at 10pm, you can sit at the front of the hostel but it's not as good

Mango Tree is a chilled out hostel with limited atmosphere and a lot of people keeping themselves to themselves. The wifi went down for a day when I was there and is not great at the best of times. It could really benefit from more enthusiastic staff as they couldn't really care less while I was there. The "Bar" closes early and doesn't really have the punters to make it a fun place to be.

The location is amazing! The only problem was the mosquitos...

Extremely noisy, far too expensive for what you are paying, poor security and DIRTY. The only good thing about this hostel is the location. See my longer review on tripadvisor (lauraleeds666)

Okay hostel. However the toilets and baths appered to be not so clean. Small rooms, a bit crowded. Lovly breakfast and freindly staff.

The young girl on reception was lovely and very helpful. location was excellent but could do with bringing the weekend atmosphere to the whole week.

The hostel is in a great location. Just one block back from Ipanema beach. Very clean with a good kitchen. The only negative comment I have to make relate to the reception staff. Firstly the reception staff are the worst I've ever come across travelling. They are not helpful nor friendly. Expect to be given no information or the wrong information. Luckily the manager at the hostel is lovely, so she made our stay a good one. If the rest of the staff were better this would be a 10/10 hostel.

• 29th Sep 2014

The staff weren't very attentive and helpful, twice cabs were called for me that delivered me to areas I didn't specify. They just didn't seem to care and weren't overly approachable.

The hostel is located one block from the beach. Excellent location. The staff are not very helpful and not very friendly either. The private rooms are very nice. I stayed one night at the 8 bed dorm. The dorm is nice and has plugs and night lights for each bed however there is not much space.

The place definately benefits from its ideal location in Ipanema, which makes it a very safe place and only a stones throw away from the beach and that's what you pay for. Besides this it is an average hostel. Service is even poor. Noone seems to know anything about the surrounding. They even don't know how to get to the main attractions like the sugar loaf and the Christ statue but give you wrong indications and wrong bus numbers. In general there's a lack of communication with the hostel staff

Fantastic. We're a couple in our late 20's & we stayed for 8 nights in a private double ensuite. The room was spacious and clean. The shower was hot and powerful. All staff were really friendly and helpful which hugely contributed to our fantastic stay in Rio. Not much of a party hostel but we weren't really looking for that and once we met more guests we got together for a night out and staff have flyers for all nights out. Breakfast great, maybe get another power socket so both appliances work

• 9th Sep 2014

Really enjoyed our stay- would highly recommend it. Beautiful place.

• 9th Sep 2014

Close to metro station, staff were friendly, helpful and informed, breakfast was more than adequate, all in all 'The Mango Tree' was more than I hoped for. I will be staying there again next year.

Everything was great but I have two important suggestions: one is to offer free coffee during the day. And I had 2 issues, 1, the TV had no signal. I called the responsible, she said she will fix it and she never did, It is true that we didn´t go to Rio to watch TV, but I was nice if I could relax on my bed with some local television, that´s why I paid the deluxe room.

Open space with green wooded area provide pleasant enviromnment while having breakfast that is included in price. Staff is friemdl and cooperative and location is excellent, very close to IPANEMA Beach and good access to public buses.

Amazing Stay in the heart of Ipanema; the hostel is nice and cosy, very well located and the staff is friendly and super helpful. On top of this the common areas are vast and comfortable and perfect to meet other travellers. Highly recommend!

• 15th Aug 2014

Loved this hostel!! Perfect location in Impanema; close to beach, restaurants and bars! Showers hot and bathrooms really clean. Lovely helpful staff and great kitchen. Perfect place to stay in Rio!

Wonderful location and friendly staff.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7