The Mango Tree Reviews

Prudente de Moraes, 594, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The Mango Tree is one of the nicest places I have stayed in South America. It really feels more like a home. I made friends with a lot of the staff and met some great people here. The location is amazing. 1 block from Ipanema beach and close to the supermarket and plenty of bars and restaurants. Ipanema also felt like a really safe area compared to other parts of Rio I visited. Breakfast is also great. My only fault would be the three tier dorm beds. Not fun if you are at the top!

Stayed here my first night in Rio, when I arrived the British receptionist asked me 3 times to make sure I payed him before his shift finished. I hadn't even put my bag down in my room yet. I think it was a bit pushy. Also it was very hot that day and although the rooms at night are air-conditioned and fine, there is no cool place to relax and stay cool during the day and evening. Okay for one night but I was glad to change hostel the next day.

The hostel is just across from the beach and there are nice bars/restaurants nearby and being a couple of minutes from the metro and a bus stop outside makes it easy to get around. The biggest downside of this hostel is that you have to leave the common area at 10pm, you can sit at the front of the hostel but it's not as good

Mango Tree is a chilled out hostel with limited atmosphere and a lot of people keeping themselves to themselves. The wifi went down for a day when I was there and is not great at the best of times. It could really benefit from more enthusiastic staff as they couldn't really care less while I was there. The "Bar" closes early and doesn't really have the punters to make it a fun place to be.

gutes hosteel, super lage, nette mitarbeiter

The location is amazing! The only problem was the mosquitos...

muito bom, a um quarteirão da praia, muito bem localizado, perto de varios restaurantes e do lado do posto nove de ipanema.

• 24th Oct 2014

O preço se comparado aos demais hosteis da cidade esta numa faixa razoável, o que mais te pega de surpresa são os mosquitos, pernilongos mais especificamente, então leve repelente. Outra coisa é a limpeza dos lençóis e toalhas, o lençol de cama apesar de parecer ter sido limpo tinha umas manchas de sangue, pequenas porém estavam la, e o lençol parecia sujo de ferrugem ou sei lá o que era, mas era o tipo da sujeira que impreguina e mesmo lavando continua. Tirando isso o hostel é bom sim!

Extremely noisy, far too expensive for what you are paying, poor security and DIRTY. The only good thing about this hostel is the location. See my longer review on tripadvisor (lauraleeds666)

Gostei muito da organização, limpeza e cordialidade dos funcionários parabens a.toda equipe do Mango Tree.

Okay hostel. However the toilets and baths appered to be not so clean. Small rooms, a bit crowded. Lovly breakfast and freindly staff.

The young girl on reception was lovely and very helpful. location was excellent but could do with bringing the weekend atmosphere to the whole week.

The hostel is in a great location. Just one block back from Ipanema beach. Very clean with a good kitchen. The only negative comment I have to make relate to the reception staff. Firstly the reception staff are the worst I've ever come across travelling. They are not helpful nor friendly. Expect to be given no information or the wrong information. Luckily the manager at the hostel is lovely, so she made our stay a good one. If the rest of the staff were better this would be a 10/10 hostel.

• 29th Sep 2014

The staff weren't very attentive and helpful, twice cabs were called for me that delivered me to areas I didn't specify. They just didn't seem to care and weren't overly approachable.

The hostel is located one block from the beach. Excellent location. The staff are not very helpful and not very friendly either. The private rooms are very nice. I stayed one night at the 8 bed dorm. The dorm is nice and has plugs and night lights for each bed however there is not much space.

The place definately benefits from its ideal location in Ipanema, which makes it a very safe place and only a stones throw away from the beach and that's what you pay for. Besides this it is an average hostel. Service is even poor. Noone seems to know anything about the surrounding. They even don't know how to get to the main attractions like the sugar loaf and the Christ statue but give you wrong indications and wrong bus numbers. In general there's a lack of communication with the hostel staff

Buena experiencia, muy agradable el ambiente. El precio es justo y ofrecen buenos Tours.

• 26th Sep 2014
  • Mexico

Nao apreciei o atendimento da Gabriela, acho que poderia ter sido mais simpática e colaborativa. No geral, gostei da estadia por lá.

• 19th Sep 2014

Great located in Ipanema We always felt safe Nice atmosphere and good breakfast The tour to maracana Stadium is quite expensive, do it better by your own

• 12th Sep 2014