The Matterhorn Hostel Zermatt Reviews

Schluhmattstrasse 32, Zermatt, Switzerland

The biggest downside was the showers were several flights of stairs away... In the basement. The rooms were comfortable enough- we were in a 6 bed mixed dorm room. There is an excellent view of the Matterhorn on the 10 minute walk from the train station. The atmosphere feels a little bit like a cabin you would stay in with your Boy Scout or Girl Scout troupe- not bad but not fancy at all. Perfect for what we needed!

Zermatt is very expensive but by staying here we got to see and hike around the Matterhorn on our budget. The hostel was similar to others we have stayed at in Europe. If you have a positive attitude and understand that you are getting a great price for Zermatt, you will enjoy this hostel and meet some really cool people. Also, it is pretty cold at night so bring some layers!

The staff was very friendly and did a great job answering all of our questions. Good location in Zermatt, pretty close to everything.

• 20th Jul 2015

Its exactly what you expect from a hostel. Clean, basic, good location.

Good hostel in a very beautiful location.

The hostel could have been great. My friend and I happened to be there the weekend of the Matterhorn Marathon (which was awesome). 3 of the older gentlemen in our room were running the marathon and their training gear was rather smelly in our very hot room. The is one outlet in the room. I would totally come back but book a private room or suggests our picky roommates book a private room. Common showers and bathroom but was fine. Close quarters that can be very hot.

• 3rd Jul 2015

I found the staff friendly and very helpful. Even though I was there during off season, I still met friendly travelers, and the common room in the basement ended up a being a decent place to hangout despite being small and weirdly located. The whole place is a bit shabby, but still perfectly fine. I slept well in the bed. The biggest issue was the severe lack of plugs (only one in my 6 bed dorm). Showers are communal for the whole place, not very nice.

The hostel was decently organized and provided all that was necessary. However, it was frustrating to have to rent a flat sheet, only the fitted sheet was provided.

Off season so was quiet and not much was happening but good location.

This histel is a cheap alternative to the surrounding chalets, with the same view. It's located next to the river (while this may be a personal preference the sound of the river was a nice white noise for sleeping). The facilities are very basic. It was a comfortable place to sleep and I was not in the histel much during my trip to Zermatt.

This hostel has a great location although in such a small town everywhere is a good location. A little cramped in the rooms but an interesting hostel. The reception was very friendly. I would definitely recommend this hostel.

The beds are more like thin mattress pads, you can feel the metal bed frame all night. They don't have sheets, only an itchy unwashed quilt that smelt funny. The rooms were very crammed, dark, and cold. There were no locks or keys for the rooms and the main door. The wifi was bad. The bathroom was overcrowded and dirty. This is the most overpriced, miserable hostel I've ever stayed at. The bar wasn't open either so it was boring and unsocial.

Lockers available with 10 CHF deposit. However if you wish to check out before 7:30, whether don't borrow a locker or leave the deposit behind. TV room is really small, filled with tables. No place to charge electronics in the room. Shower was ok, at least not cold. Very nice to have hair dryers free for use on the walls. Bed looks clean but I still slept in my own linen. This is in fact the cheapest you can find in Zermatt. Don't expect too much.

The restaurant and bar were closed for the season- should have been noted in the description. Showers were dirty and the water backed up. Lockers were not very secure. Poor security at the hostel, no locks on the doors to the dorms. Great location though!

Great place to stay if you're visiting Zermatt on a budget. Everyone was helpful and friendly!

• 27th Apr 2015

Spent four nights at this hostel and couldn't be happier, some of the cheapest accommodation in town and the location puts you right beside one of the main lifts, also with an excellent view of the Matterhorn. The bar downstairs was great as well, some of the best food I've eve had. rooms are a little cramped but they're still very cozy.

Security is a little lax - the rooms don't lock and the lockers in the room aren't very good. The bar is fantastic - great food and wonderful staff. Not the closest to the train station but the entire town is so small you can walk anywhere.

Good price. Good staff Can't choose temp. of shower room. No lock at shower.

• 21st Feb 2015
  • China

the problem it's just with the people come in... too noisy... the staff was great, the cleaning good. Need more plug for the shared room, waitress not very confortable....

Three minutes walk to the Matterhorn express lift and the same time to town. Very nice staff.

• 8th Feb 2015