The Matterhorn Hostel Zermatt Reviews

Schluhmattstrasse 32, Zermatt, Switzerland

Its exactly what you expect from a hostel. Clean, basic, good location.

Good hostel in a very beautiful location.

The hostel could have been great. My friend and I happened to be there the weekend of the Matterhorn Marathon (which was awesome). 3 of the older gentlemen in our room were running the marathon and their training gear was rather smelly in our very hot room. The is one outlet in the room. I would totally come back but book a private room or suggests our picky roommates book a private room. Common showers and bathroom but was fine. Close quarters that can be very hot.

I found the staff friendly and very helpful. Even though I was there during off season, I still met friendly travelers, and the common room in the basement ended up a being a decent place to hangout despite being small and weirdly located. The whole place is a bit shabby, but still perfectly fine. I slept well in the bed. The biggest issue was the severe lack of plugs (only one in my 6 bed dorm). Showers are communal for the whole place, not very nice.

The hostel was decently organized and provided all that was necessary. However, it was frustrating to have to rent a flat sheet, only the fitted sheet was provided.

Off season so was quiet and not much was happening but good location.

This histel is a cheap alternative to the surrounding chalets, with the same view. It's located next to the river (while this may be a personal preference the sound of the river was a nice white noise for sleeping). The facilities are very basic. It was a comfortable place to sleep and I was not in the histel much during my trip to Zermatt.

This hostel has a great location although in such a small town everywhere is a good location. A little cramped in the rooms but an interesting hostel. The reception was very friendly. I would definitely recommend this hostel.

The beds are more like thin mattress pads, you can feel the metal bed frame all night. They don't have sheets, only an itchy unwashed quilt that smelt funny. The rooms were very crammed, dark, and cold. There were no locks or keys for the rooms and the main door. The wifi was bad. The bathroom was overcrowded and dirty. This is the most overpriced, miserable hostel I've ever stayed at. The bar wasn't open either so it was boring and unsocial.

Lockers available with 10 CHF deposit. However if you wish to check out before 7:30, whether don't borrow a locker or leave the deposit behind. TV room is really small, filled with tables. No place to charge electronics in the room. Shower was ok, at least not cold. Very nice to have hair dryers free for use on the walls. Bed looks clean but I still slept in my own linen. This is in fact the cheapest you can find in Zermatt. Don't expect too much.

The restaurant and bar were closed for the season- should have been noted in the description. Showers were dirty and the water backed up. Lockers were not very secure. Poor security at the hostel, no locks on the doors to the dorms. Great location though!

Great place to stay if you're visiting Zermatt on a budget. Everyone was helpful and friendly!

• 27th Apr 2015