The Matterhorn Hostel Zermatt Reviews

Schluhmattstrasse 32, Zermatt, Switzerland

Rubbish hostel. Ok, I understand that there is a real shortage of hostels in Zermatt, & that Switzerland is expensive compared with most of Europe; however, for what we paid for it was a joke. Our 6 bed dorm had 1 powerpoint, showers 1 temperature setting, there are no locks on the main door or the dorm room rooms, or even the showers. Reception has very limited hours, & we had a family with a child 3 years old In our dorm room... If I return to Zermatt I'll happily pay extra for a hotel room.

Very disappointing. Rooms are cramped. We had a 7 beds room with only one electric plug. We had to go down 3 floors to go to the toilets and 4 floors to have a shower. Toilets and showers weren't clean. There is no kitchen. There is only a very small, cramped common space that looks more like a waiting room. It seems like they know people that are on a budget have no choice, but to come here, so the service is really poor. Next time, I'll spend more on housing to avoid that place.

• 4th Aug 2015
  • Switzerland

This hostel was uncomfortable, but bearable. I feel like it was not great value for money

Pretty basic hostel but fine if you want to be active (ski, walk, climb etc) and then just want a place to get horizontal at night. Nice little value for money bar/cafe attached to it.

The biggest downside was the showers were several flights of stairs away... In the basement. The rooms were comfortable enough- we were in a 6 bed mixed dorm room. There is an excellent view of the Matterhorn on the 10 minute walk from the train station. The atmosphere feels a little bit like a cabin you would stay in with your Boy Scout or Girl Scout troupe- not bad but not fancy at all. Perfect for what we needed!

Zermatt is very expensive but by staying here we got to see and hike around the Matterhorn on our budget. The hostel was similar to others we have stayed at in Europe. If you have a positive attitude and understand that you are getting a great price for Zermatt, you will enjoy this hostel and meet some really cool people. Also, it is pretty cold at night so bring some layers!

Overall the hostel was fine. It was clean enough and the staff was friendly.

The staff was very friendly and did a great job answering all of our questions. Good location in Zermatt, pretty close to everything.

• 20th Jul 2015

Its exactly what you expect from a hostel. Clean, basic, good location.

Good hostel in a very beautiful location.

The hostel could have been great. My friend and I happened to be there the weekend of the Matterhorn Marathon (which was awesome). 3 of the older gentlemen in our room were running the marathon and their training gear was rather smelly in our very hot room. The is one outlet in the room. I would totally come back but book a private room or suggests our picky roommates book a private room. Common showers and bathroom but was fine. Close quarters that can be very hot.

I found the staff friendly and very helpful. Even though I was there during off season, I still met friendly travelers, and the common room in the basement ended up a being a decent place to hangout despite being small and weirdly located. The whole place is a bit shabby, but still perfectly fine. I slept well in the bed. The biggest issue was the severe lack of plugs (only one in my 6 bed dorm). Showers are communal for the whole place, not very nice.

The hostel was decently organized and provided all that was necessary. However, it was frustrating to have to rent a flat sheet, only the fitted sheet was provided.

Off season so was quiet and not much was happening but good location.

1 2 Next » last »