The Maze Backpackers Reviews

417 Pitt Street, Sydney, Australia

Great location. Bathroom on my floor was under construction, fair enough but frustrating to use. Seemed to be mostly late night partiers, so it's great if you want to spend nights out, not great for people who want a quiet sleep. Also my roommates never locked the door, again not really hostels fault but keep in mind

Great place to be, close to many things, pleasant, many activities for guests, helpful staff. Loved it and would stay there again.

spotted my very first cockroach in a hostel, crawling on my roommates bed. no lockers, which was really annoying since everybody's stuff was on the floor, there was barely any space to walk. nobody in the kitchen cleans up after themselves, showers sucked

I would NOT recommend staying here we stayed for nearly 3 weeks only due to its location our rooms were never cleaned and the toilets are disgusting! The staff had done our booking incorrectly on our last week so decided to go into our room put all our belongings in bags and threw them all on the floor at reception claiming this was there policy for non payment , even though we were under the impression we had paid ! My I phone screen was smashed in the process and money stolen ! DISGUSTING

• 21st Oct 2014

Quite frankly, We didn't enjoy our stay at maze during those 8 days. Firstly, the rooms are very small, with no tables and chairs, no closets, nothing. We can hardly move around. There's no air conditioning and bad ventilation. Each night that we've stayed there was like having a nightmare because of the loud,unbearable noise that some guests were creating and yet the staff didn't mind what other guests might think. All in all,Terrible place. I think the government should consider demolishing

• 27th Sep 2014
  • Taiwan

The hostel was disgusting. Stayed in a private room which wasn't vacuumed. Showers were dirty and full of hair all the time - never cleaned. However they vacuumed the corridors every morning at 8:30.

• 25th Sep 2014

Ideal for group looking for cheap stay and party hostel. Just thought bedrooms where very cold!

I stayed here for when I arrived in oz for the first 2 days I arrived! It was ok at first but the rooms was poor and damp and the place was very badly put together but just across the street there is a place call nomads westemd. And it's so much better and it's a part place and the people there are so friendly, I recommend nomads to anyone compared to maze backpackers!

• 30th Aug 2014
  • samgoldstone881544
  • British Virgin Islands

This hostel is just disgusting. I was given a small, bare room that smelled strongly like grease. A window opened to a narrow back alley where a staircase ran right outside the window. The window did not lock and there was no screen on it providing a major security concern. All the exhaust fans from the local restaurants vented into the alley, so there was grease all over the walls, and there were huge cockroaches running around the window sill. A lot of the showers and toilets were broken too.

The rooms of two beds are grate but the carpet of all the hostel smell really bad, no more carpet in hostels! All the other things grate!

• 19th Aug 2014

Shocking hostel. Not usually one to write negative reviews but this place is a dump. Smells like feet, probably due to the fact that the cleaners do a half-arsed job in return for a free stay. The reception staff are friendly enough, but don't seem too bothered about leaving their nest to help. It is definitely a party hostel no doubt, but a lot of people are put off of getting involved by the English chavs that are off their face on drugs. These people should be kicked out by management.

Room smelled and my bed was broken but I managed. Other than that the bathrooms were very clean with good showers, had a good common area which was good for meeting new people, the staff were helpful and its a great location

Excellent hostel, fantastic staff!! Kitchen and social areas are very clean and have a great relaxed atmosphere! Toilet/shower facilities are below standard could do with an upgrade!

• 6th Aug 2014
  • Scotland

First class experiance, close to everything in beautiful Sydney

• 3rd Aug 2014

Window for room did not close

• 1st Aug 2014

You get what you pay for! The communal bathrooms were mouldy and you were lucky enough to get a hot shower on the odd day. If you want to get some sleep, don't stay here because it's noisy from around 3am for a couple of hours when partyers come home. Good if you want to party.

• 30th Jul 2014

Pretty good value, got a cheap single room. Atmosphere seemed alright, cleanliness was ok, but was a very noisy hostel, from outside and inside. Old building, be warned there is not lift!!! But the guy at reception was nice enought to help me bring my bags up!

we being there twice before, we had our luggage in the storage in the baseman but when we arrive for the third time they could find our reservation so the put us in a dorm fot the same price we had pay before for a private room $60 AUS dollars, the also told us that the weekends were $90 AUS and we could be there for the $60 AUS that we had paid before we left, so, we went on line to HOSTEL WORLD and we fund a private room for $50 AUS dollares, them we saw how she discriminate us.

It was ok, the only problem is that the room was extremely dirty and smelt really bad. Also, the window did not close completely so it was a bit cold at night (but the staff gave me an extra blanket)

• 27th Jul 2014
  • Spain

This is the second time I've stayed on a weekend from Newcastle. Great location in the city, especially if you want to party. No lockers in rooms which is a shame and the common lockers provided are super expensive. There is a luggage room though. I will probably stay here again.