The Maze Backpackers Reviews

417 Pitt Street, Sydney, Australia

Quite frankly, We didn't enjoy our stay at maze during those 8 days. Firstly, the rooms are very small, with no tables and chairs, no closets, nothing. We can hardly move around. There's no air conditioning and bad ventilation. Each night that we've stayed there was like having a nightmare because of the loud,unbearable noise that some guests were creating and yet the staff didn't mind what other guests might think. All in all,Terrible place. I think the government should consider demolishing

• 27th Sep 2014
  • Taiwan

The hostel was disgusting. Stayed in a private room which wasn't vacuumed. Showers were dirty and full of hair all the time - never cleaned. However they vacuumed the corridors every morning at 8:30.

• 25th Sep 2014

Ideal for group looking for cheap stay and party hostel. Just thought bedrooms where very cold!

I stayed here for when I arrived in oz for the first 2 days I arrived! It was ok at first but the rooms was poor and damp and the place was very badly put together but just across the street there is a place call nomads westemd. And it's so much better and it's a part place and the people there are so friendly, I recommend nomads to anyone compared to maze backpackers!

• 30th Aug 2014
  • samgoldstone881544
  • British Virgin Islands

This hostel is just disgusting. I was given a small, bare room that smelled strongly like grease. A window opened to a narrow back alley where a staircase ran right outside the window. The window did not lock and there was no screen on it providing a major security concern. All the exhaust fans from the local restaurants vented into the alley, so there was grease all over the walls, and there were huge cockroaches running around the window sill. A lot of the showers and toilets were broken too.

The rooms of two beds are grate but the carpet of all the hostel smell really bad, no more carpet in hostels! All the other things grate!

• 19th Aug 2014

Shocking hostel. Not usually one to write negative reviews but this place is a dump. Smells like feet, probably due to the fact that the cleaners do a half-arsed job in return for a free stay. The reception staff are friendly enough, but don't seem too bothered about leaving their nest to help. It is definitely a party hostel no doubt, but a lot of people are put off of getting involved by the English chavs that are off their face on drugs. These people should be kicked out by management.

Room smelled and my bed was broken but I managed. Other than that the bathrooms were very clean with good showers, had a good common area which was good for meeting new people, the staff were helpful and its a great location

Excellent hostel, fantastic staff!! Kitchen and social areas are very clean and have a great relaxed atmosphere! Toilet/shower facilities are below standard could do with an upgrade!

• 6th Aug 2014
  • Scotland

First class experiance, close to everything in beautiful Sydney

• 3rd Aug 2014

Window for room did not close

• 1st Aug 2014

You get what you pay for! The communal bathrooms were mouldy and you were lucky enough to get a hot shower on the odd day. If you want to get some sleep, don't stay here because it's noisy from around 3am for a couple of hours when partyers come home. Good if you want to party.

• 30th Jul 2014

Pretty good value, got a cheap single room. Atmosphere seemed alright, cleanliness was ok, but was a very noisy hostel, from outside and inside. Old building, be warned there is not lift!!! But the guy at reception was nice enought to help me bring my bags up!

we being there twice before, we had our luggage in the storage in the baseman but when we arrive for the third time they could find our reservation so the put us in a dorm fot the same price we had pay before for a private room $60 AUS dollars, the also told us that the weekends were $90 AUS and we could be there for the $60 AUS that we had paid before we left, so, we went on line to HOSTEL WORLD and we fund a private room for $50 AUS dollares, them we saw how she discriminate us.

It was ok, the only problem is that the room was extremely dirty and smelt really bad. Also, the window did not close completely so it was a bit cold at night (but the staff gave me an extra blanket)

• 27th Jul 2014
  • Spain

This is the second time I've stayed on a weekend from Newcastle. Great location in the city, especially if you want to party. No lockers in rooms which is a shame and the common lockers provided are super expensive. There is a luggage room though. I will probably stay here again.

Beds were very uncomfortable; felt like sleeping on springs. Also, very loud at night but that is expected. Fun party hostel but not expect much sleep! Airport shuttle from front desk very helpful. Great to have the Coles one street up. Bring a zip up fridge bag!

• 17th Jul 2014

Great location for seeing Sydney, but be prepared to amuse yourself away from the hostel until 11pm if you're not keen to party. If you are keen to party you'll enjoy yourself. However, don't be surprised if you hear that there is an "extra guest" in the hostel room, and lots of long stay patrons... overall it's clean enough and in a great spot.

This hostel caters to its market - it is definitely a party hostel. First impressions weren't great - all the smokers milling about outside the door - but the staff seemed good and checked me in quickly. The room was fairly basic, but had a bad smell. The kitchen seemed good, but I didn't use it. Showers weren't great - could definitely use a makeover and I could only get cold water. If you're here to party you'll have a good time. If you're here to sleep you will be disappointed.

The Maze staff is friendly and accommodating with bookings and suggestions. During my 4 night stay, there were 2 free meals, several evening activities for groups wanting to go out, and we found plenty of nearby eateries and pubs. The showers are hot with good water pressure. A Coles grocery store, bottle shop and other shopping is a one minute walk away. If you like a nice coffee, definitely check out The Shed cafe around the corner on Goulburn. Highly recommended for a price and location.

• 6th Jul 2014