The Maze Backpackers Reviews

417 Pitt Street, Sydney, Australia

Huge hostel in the centre of Sydney. Friendly staff, nice enough place to stay.

The property is located in the heart of the city. Minutes from everything. But, it lacks cleanliness. There was no heater. Rooms are small. Old rugs. You can smell aged mature bricks and carpets. No wifi. I guess these could be fixed without increasing already stretched price. Only because of it's location, these things are forgiven but if this backpacker were located somewhere outside the city, I would not rent it for half the price. But I must admit, the staffs were OK

Nice with different things going on every night. Good wifi.

I really liked all the activities at Maze Backpackers and how friendly everyone was. The staff helped me find busses and my way to different landmarks each day. My only complaint is the shuttle service. DONT USE IT. It never showed up for my time slot and when you're trying to catch a flight that's pretty important. The Sydney shuttle people were rude, unapologetic, and kept lying about when it would get there. Save yourself the trouble and don't plan on using them at all.

• 3rd Apr 2015

Great hostel with something going on everyday!

No air condition room with bunks very small for two people now where to put your belongings

• 20th Mar 2015

As a 67 year old I didn't expect to interact with the young residents ,but I still enjoyed my stay. I enjoyed the organised meals put on by Maze. I was after a very cheap central hostel - and that is exactly what Maze is. Don't expect 4 star accommodation. It is very basic but there is nothing wrong if that is all you need. kitchen facilities are very good.

• 19th Mar 2015

Stayed here for a week and stayed in a private twinroom. Room was small but perfect for our needs. Kitchen is big and well equipt.

There are no lockers in the rooms but they are provided at a cost downstairs. There were plenty of showers and toilets and a big kitchen. Good atmosphere if you want a lively hostel.

I liked Maze. The staff was great, room was good (tiny but good), location good (really close to darling harbour where we actually ended up spending much of our time at).

not as bad as the reviews are saying ;-) + staff is really really friendly location directly in CBD is perfect and you can explore downtown immediately kitchen is big and equipment is available high security at the night. he is walking around. no loud people or you can complain and he comes. quit good - there is no maintenance, bathrooms are a mess, at least 2 times the day they are cleaned some cockroaches too many drunk british people you get what you get for that money...

Had a 25yr old female roommate pee on the carpet in front of my door inside the room in the middle of the night. She also peed on some of my clothes. Mgmt took care of the incident in the morning and moved me to a private room as a courtesy, which was really nice because I didn't even ask for it.

• 25th Feb 2015

Good location in heart of Sydney but boy oh boy this hostel needs a major refurb. Carpets are all dirty. Bed was pretty comfortable though but bathrooms were disgusting and water pressure was a joke.

Room smelt like grease. Woken up repeatedly by doors being bashed and bottles broken in courtyard. Left two days early, staff claim they cannot process any refunds.

The hostel was generally very dirty and smelled of mold. The luggage room is downstairs - I had to put my stuff in there which was nice of them to let me do that, but then I had to carry it back up again and then up 2 flights of stairs. Having just been at the hospital with a foot injury, no staff member offered to help which would have been nice. I know I wasn't paying much, although $60+ for the tiny private room I had was more than enough. Toilets were dirty and the water didn't really work.

We stayed in a 3 bed room. The only feedback I would say is that the room needs somewhere for you to put your clothes, other than keeping them in your luggage.

Smelled like pee and mold, no AC so it was boiling hot, if you're carrying heavy bags expect no help from the staff to get them up the many many stairs, rooms were too tiny for our luggage, showers were dirty and even broken and for this they charged us 40$/night pp. If you want 1 burned pancake with nothing on it on free pancake day you better be prepared to wait in line for at least 30 minutes, same goes for free bbq night. The only good thing I have to say about this place is the location.

• 3rd Jan 2015
  • Sweden

Super clean kitchen but dirty bathrooms! Staff was very friendly and helpful. Laundry facilities were pretty expensive ($4 per wash / dryer = $8 altogether). Rooms were a bit smelly and noisy due to cars and clubs/bars next door.

the only 2 "good" things about this hostel is the free goon games with cool hosts and the location. The bedrooms and especially the bathroom is disgusting!! Needs a big make over

The hostel isn't clean at alll! It needs to get a shine up ASAP! Bathrooms are disgusting. Location great