The Maze Backpackers Reviews

417 Pitt Street, Sydney, Australia

Good location in heart of Sydney but boy oh boy this hostel needs a major refurb. Carpets are all dirty. Bed was pretty comfortable though but bathrooms were disgusting and water pressure was a joke.

The hostel was generally very dirty and smelled of mold. The luggage room is downstairs - I had to put my stuff in there which was nice of them to let me do that, but then I had to carry it back up again and then up 2 flights of stairs. Having just been at the hospital with a foot injury, no staff member offered to help which would have been nice. I know I wasn't paying much, although $60+ for the tiny private room I had was more than enough. Toilets were dirty and the water didn't really work.

We stayed in a 3 bed room. The only feedback I would say is that the room needs somewhere for you to put your clothes, other than keeping them in your luggage.

Smelled like pee and mold, no AC so it was boiling hot, if you're carrying heavy bags expect no help from the staff to get them up the many many stairs, rooms were too tiny for our luggage, showers were dirty and even broken and for this they charged us 40$/night pp. If you want 1 burned pancake with nothing on it on free pancake day you better be prepared to wait in line for at least 30 minutes, same goes for free bbq night. The only good thing I have to say about this place is the location.

• 3rd Jan 2015
  • Sweden

Super clean kitchen but dirty bathrooms! Staff was very friendly and helpful. Laundry facilities were pretty expensive ($4 per wash / dryer = $8 altogether). Rooms were a bit smelly and noisy due to cars and clubs/bars next door.

the only 2 "good" things about this hostel is the free goon games with cool hosts and the location. The bedrooms and especially the bathroom is disgusting!! Needs a big make over

The hostel isn't clean at alll! It needs to get a shine up ASAP! Bathrooms are disgusting. Location great

After 22 you cannot sit down even in the common places. It is a bit restricted.

It's definitely an adventure to find your way around just to get to your room, which is quite funny. However not being able to bring visitors to your own room I don't like at all. I paid for that room, so if I want to bring a friend up, I should be allowed to. This should also be highlighted when making a booking, so I could've looked elsewhere.

• 13th Dec 2014

1st when checking in i was told another price than what i was Quoted over the phone , i was grateful that i got my fri night accom price for $60 Not $70 ....... also im a light sleeper so i had to put up with the noise of the outside air conditioner system most of the night (FOR MY 3 NIGHTS STAY) there were no cupboards in the room & when i took my pillowcase off my pillow like i was asked too the pillow looked (Yellow) in colour , i also had to report a dripping shower problem too :(

• 6th Dec 2014

Good vibes from staff and backpackers alike, free food is always good food All round very pleasant experience

• 4th Dec 2014

Great location. Bathroom on my floor was under construction, fair enough but frustrating to use. Seemed to be mostly late night partiers, so it's great if you want to spend nights out, not great for people who want a quiet sleep. Also my roommates never locked the door, again not really hostels fault but keep in mind

Great place to be, close to many things, pleasant, many activities for guests, helpful staff. Loved it and would stay there again.

spotted my very first cockroach in a hostel, crawling on my roommates bed. no lockers, which was really annoying since everybody's stuff was on the floor, there was barely any space to walk. nobody in the kitchen cleans up after themselves, showers sucked

I would NOT recommend staying here we stayed for nearly 3 weeks only due to its location our rooms were never cleaned and the toilets are disgusting! The staff had done our booking incorrectly on our last week so decided to go into our room put all our belongings in bags and threw them all on the floor at reception claiming this was there policy for non payment , even though we were under the impression we had paid ! My I phone screen was smashed in the process and money stolen ! DISGUSTING

• 21st Oct 2014

Quite frankly, We didn't enjoy our stay at maze during those 8 days. Firstly, the rooms are very small, with no tables and chairs, no closets, nothing. We can hardly move around. There's no air conditioning and bad ventilation. Each night that we've stayed there was like having a nightmare because of the loud,unbearable noise that some guests were creating and yet the staff didn't mind what other guests might think. All in all,Terrible place. I think the government should consider demolishing

• 27th Sep 2014
  • Taiwan

The hostel was disgusting. Stayed in a private room which wasn't vacuumed. Showers were dirty and full of hair all the time - never cleaned. However they vacuumed the corridors every morning at 8:30.

• 25th Sep 2014