The Maze Backpackers Reviews

417 Pitt Street, Sydney, Australia

The rooms very spacious and cheap compared to most places in Sydney CBD. Minutes to Central station and a block away from George street so most things are within walking distance. Rooms were clean and showers and toilets were okay considering the amount of people sharing them. Only stayed a night and had an early flight so didn't participate in drinking but looked like there was a good party going on.

Absolutely loving it here. The staff are very helpful. Fantastic location. Id recommend this to everyone if they were lookingfor a place in Sydney.

• 18th Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

Amazing place to stay! Friendly staff, fun events, good facilities for the price!

• 16th Aug 2015

I've stayed here previously, and it was a no-brainer for me to return and stay again. I got a private room this time and it was spacious and clean and I loved it. The staff are friendly, and the laundry and kitchen are convenient. The only thing I would say I don't like is the toilet cubicle doors would be better if they were lower, as it feels like people can see your whole legs when you're pooing. And the showers might BE clean, but they FEEL dirty. I don't know how you combat that though.

Our room (3 beds shared bathroom) was spacious, clean and pretty quiet. The hostel is also in a really good location, maybe a 10 minute slow walk to Circular Quay. Sadly, the floor of the shared bathroom was always wet (even were the toilets were) and the shower water pressure was very little (as in a tiny little trickle). However, the staff were nice and talkative and I would probably stay again.

• 8th Aug 2015

Very nice people (staff) - well situated! :-)

• 5th Aug 2015
  • Switzerland

Hostel is located near the center, which is great, because everything is quite close to you. Kitchen is big and well equipped. Our room was big enough and clean. Toilets/ showers are not the best, but it's hard to keep them clean when there's so many people around. All in all, I would stay there again.

very cold and showers didn't work the way you would expect them too , hair on the sheets ...😑 broken window in our room was fixed up with tape

• 3rd Aug 2015

The hostel has too many people going in and out. Some of the bunk beds did not have ladders. Although the hostel has trips and tours as well as specific nights for food, it is very big and the toilets can get very dirty if not cleaned often. The room was always cold as there was a crack on the window. Too many people hanging around everywhere, was not told that there is a tv room and area for computers until you wander around. The hostel is very big hence the name Maze. Great location.

• 3rd Aug 2015

Disgusting bed sheets (toothpaste and blood stains on mine and others) hadn't been changed since last occupant. Dusty floors, spiders cobwebs on ceilings and poor bed frames that made constant squeeky noises throughout the night.

• 31st Jul 2015

Great place to stay. Friendly staff and perfect location. Would recommend to others!

• 25th Jul 2015
  • Scotland

Place was dirty & very noisy. Could not stay for the 2nd night that I had paid for because I felt creatures crawling over me during the night!

• 24th Jul 2015

Toilets were dirty, rooms were smelling, very noisy even after 10 pm (time to stop drinking), unfriendly staff (except for a blonde guy in the morning around 9 am on monday 21st).

Good party hostel, pretty clean. But by god it's cold!

Our room was FREEZING cold! Showers were dirty as but were told they were being renovated soon...

• 17th Jul 2015

Perfect in everyway Quite cold in night so you'd better ask extra blanket Many young people and many activities and very center of city Of course little bit noise but I enjoyed staying here anyway

No heat or extra cover. I had to sleep with my coat cause was really cold.

Soooo cold only the reception has heating and run out of blankets, rooms are damp and smell for the same price just stay round the corner ...

• 13th Jul 2015

Very friendly and helpful staff, they put on a very good range of events including free meals which is great, overall good atmosphere! Location in perfect, close to the bus station and easy walk to the city. The down side... We stayed in a twin room, pretty small and very smelly, cleaned to an okay standard. It's a very old and run down building. The toilets/showers closest to our room had basically no running water. However alternative showers on the other side worked fine.

The staff at the desk were exceptional, and I'd like to take two or three of them home with me. They were informed, patient, and quick to help. Elliott was especially professional, and volunteers Richie and Davide were awesome. The Maze is indeed a maze, but I totally enjoyed being in the ideal location for who I am and what I was doing there.