The Maze Backpackers Reviews

417 Pitt Street, Sydney, Australia

-Strong security, avoid strangers or non-hostel people enter -Cleanliness of Kitchen and toilet. Kitchenwares are clean and tidy. Toilet is clean just a little bit old. You will find staff keeping place clean almost 24hrs. -Rooms are nice but tiny, I took a twin bedroom which has a bunk bed and small table, if you got a large suitcase, shouldn't have much space for walk. -The only thing want to complaint that is found some cockroaches in the corridor for 6hrs. Anyone clean it up!

Really nice, friendly. If your feeling kinda down, the reps will do what they can to cheer up. The staff behind the counter are really helpful. It was noisy but only because my dorm looked out on to a Main Street, but that did have its perks as it meant you made more of your day.

• 23rd Jan 2016

Overall OK. The staff were really patient, helpful and cheery and the location was great. The facilities are poor however. I only found 1 communal bathroom on my floor amongst about 50 dorms (over 100 ppl?) and they are pretty old and just not nice. I don't believe that these backpackers can justify ever raising their prices without doing renovations :)

One massive down fall was there was not one plug for an 8 bedded dorm :(

• 22nd Jan 2016

Staff was soooo rude! I stayed in an 8 person mixed dorm which only had two outlets for all of us, the fan barely worked so it was soooo hot, the beds suck I thought they were going to collapse! They only have two bathrooms for the whole hostel of like 60 rooms to share and the water only goes super hot or cold. They have a "party manager" wake you up and try and force you to party. Blah not a good time

no air conditioning. fan not enough

• 22nd Jan 2016

Room was a sweat box

• 21st Jan 2016

Worst hostel I've ever stayed in. The rooms were rediculously hot so I couldn't sleep all night! The hostel is very dirty. The internet doesn't even work after paying $12 for it. There was free chicken and rice and the staff serverd in in there boxers. Somebody said that they seen a cockroach there. I stayed there for a day and I was ment to be booked in for a week but had to leave early.and didn't get a refund. Terrible hostel

• 21st Jan 2016

Severe attitude problems from all the staff. Rude, abrupt and will do anything not to help you. Sat in the reception, heard about 5 people complaining about various things with staff giving zero cares. "Entertainment managers" are only concerned about getting laid and been told to F off when I didn't want to join them on the pub crawl. The white British receptionist girl should not be in customer facing role with her personality. Having said that, location is good as are the dorms.

it was awsome. the stuff is really really helpful and nice, especially henry. he solved my problem in seconds. the bath in the second floor is not that good as in the first but it's still clean and tidy. there is free food every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday - ideal for backpackers :D and the events are really social and fun. I extend my stay for a couple of days and I would do this again!

Maze is a really good hostel in a great location just a short walk to shops, restaurants and bars. The hostel itself is good with friendly and helpful reception staff who are available 24/7. Also has entertainment staff who offer a variety of activities for guests to do every day and night and offers a great way to meet hew friends. Kitchen is clean and a large dinning area to eat and is clean. Overall would recommend to anyone looking to stay in Sydney.

• 10th Jan 2016

Only stayed one night, I had a single room so can't really comment about the social side of things. The room smelled a little bit and also the bathroom smelled a lot and wasn't very Nice at all but I'm guessing this is with the number people using it

Lots of ppl, great staff, run-down hostel perfectly located in the heart of everything in Sydney CBD. Pros are the location and the athmosphere, cons are the fact that the owners obviously don't put any effort in making the place hospitable - the bathrooms look like they didn't get a do-up since the 30s, and so does the rest of the place for the matter. Staff is nice.

Smells really bad and rotten

The staff was super friendly all the time and ready to help with any minor issue we had! Great team!

Maze feel like home. It's like a big family

• 1st Dec 2015
  • Norway

The manager the old blond guy is definitely not made to work in front of people. hostel was ok but expensive. not very clean. My first my room was smelly and so dirty.... it was toooo HOT in the room there is no AC. my pillow was yellow/brown instead of white. there is nothing to do unless drinking party. They took my food cause the rule is no food in the room but it was just pasta.... but it's allowed to drink in the room obviously.... stupid rule and everyone was eating snacks or whatever so.

OK hostel.

I am an Australian citizen, so is my partner.as a consequence I do not need to carry my passport in Australia. On arrival at the hostel my booking was cancelled because we could not produce a passport. We offered our driver's licences as ID. This was not accepted. No other hotels expect Australian citizens to have a passport. This hostel is discrimatory. Result- lugging heavy bags around the city on a 38degree day and paying for last minute accomodation I could not afford. Don't book here

• 20th Nov 2015

This hostel could do with a bit of a refurb, not least the bathrooms. It was mostly clean enough, and security ok although the window in my room (by the fire escape) didn't shut, which wasn't great. Avoid paying for the wifi if you can, it's very slow and unreliable. Overall this is far from the best hostel in the world, though it's fine for a cheap couple of nights in the city, especially as the location is outstanding - right in the CBD close to all the sights and main transport links.

« first « Prev 1 2 3