The Maze Backpackers Reviews

417 Pitt Street, Sydney, Australia

Maze backpackers is just perfect with its location. Paddy's market, opera house, botanical garden and central station. Its 10 on 10 for its location. As for the stay there? Its just one or two who really care about the maintenance of the facilities. The rooms have a distinct stale odour that takes time to accept and go to bed. The shower room? There are not enough rules to educate the users to pee with the toilet seat off. The kitchen area is fairly good but the food was stolen after labelling

• 30th Jun 2014
  • India

The location is best! In the cbd of Sydney and close to the central station. They offer a free shuttle bus if you stay more than 3 nights ( it takes a while to arrive, we waited 1 hour and I talked to an indonesian girl that said that she waited for the bus and it didn't appear so she had to take the train). Other thing is that there is a lot of people living there and they mix the travellers with them so you don't get to know people with the same interests than you. But all the rest is great!

Our room had a pretty bad smell to it. Only one tap in the bathroom worked. I wasn't game to shower there, luckily we only stayed one night. I doubt I would stay there again.

• 21st Jun 2014

There are both negative and positive sides about the hostel. Negative: The 6 bed dorm smelled really bad and the smell didn't go away even with the window open. The mattresses were uncomfortable - you could feel the "metals" inside the mattress. There weren't too many toilets and showers and they were quite outdated. The room was very cold. Positive: Kitchen is really good with excellent cutlery. The staff clean the facilities all the time which is really good! Central location is a plus.

okay, not quite as good as it was a few years ago. as always staff hovering carpets at late hours is annoying, the carpets aren't that dirty, why not wait until after 10am when everybody should be awake. Entertainment crew didn't seem to exist, movie night was actually a few of us watching tennis?!

• 6th Jun 2014

Eek. Most of the toilets were broken in my block. Most had no working locks either. Two bed mixed room shared with some guy who is labouring downtown and kept his dirty construction clothes and work boots in the small room with no ventilation t that is unless you want to be deafened by drunken street noise. Rock and a hard place.

• 6th Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

Thank you for your review, from your feedback and others we have now removed the 2 share option from our hostel. Leaving Twins as a private room to book. So our smallest share dorms are now 4 Share or people can book a private room. Apologies for the bathroom in this section. We are having this bathroom refurbished soon. However there were signs showing the direction to the next sections bathrooms. Enjoy your onward travel :)

This is by far the worst hostel I've ever been, and I travel a lot. It's so dirty, so laut and not safe at all. The only positive thing is its location. I will never stay there again.

The weekend I was there the atmosphere was buzzing with lots of people hanging out in the dining area playing games. Great location.

Good location and good kitchen. No common area so very difficult to make friends. My room STANK and the showers weren't very clean. The housekeeping guy came in the room every morning, shouting, switching on the lights etc. horrible way to wake up. Would not recommend this hostel, especially for single travellers.

Great stay, good location and atmosphere. Nice friendly staff. Would definitely reccomend.

• 2nd May 2014

Maze had a great atmosphere for the common backpacker. They had nightly events which made it really easy to meet other travellers and the event staff seemed to really have it together. The location is prime... A 5-10 minute walk to the downtown area although the city is easy to navigate regardless. I would definitely come back here, although it is a party hostel the front desk asks you if you'd like to be in a quiet area or a social one. We requested a quiet one and were never disturbed!

• 28th Apr 2014

Very big inprovment since the last time i stayed there. Much cleaner and less noisy in the reception area. New kitchen is fantastic but bathrooms certainly need renewing. Also being much older i was given a nice quiet room, yea!!!

The hostel was in great location and the staff was all very helpful and nice. My room was pretty messy and smelled terrible, but that was because of the people currently staying in it. My suitcase had a padlock on it when my trip began and about halfway though, someone in the hostel (roommates or cleaning staff) cut the lock off with bolt cutters. I should have used a locker from the very beginning though.

• 18th Apr 2014

I was in a single room. Although it is really small, it is good value for the price and location. With so many male guests, it's no surprise that toilets could look terrible.

Great hostel to stay at, I have only stayed in private rooms and I guess I would not want to stay in a dorm here due to the fact that there is many long-term stayers living in here for a while.

Thanks for your review! We do have some long-term guests here, but everyone that works here has been a backpacker at some point, so we understand the same point you made. What we do here at MAZE is put the long-term guests in dorms together. This means when new visitors arrive they get to share dorms with other travelers. Everyone seems to be happy then! And we stay happy when we see you happy :) We have our free nightly activities to bring the whole hostel together too! Happy Travels

Maze indeed. They got PLENTY of rooms so it was quite easy to get lost in there. Still, great location, nice staff. We lived in a twin bed room which was quite narrowed but a good place to sleep at. Good facilities if you want to cook your own meal. Ok showers, a little dirty.

Perfect central location. Got lost so many times coming back from the bathroom!(maze!) would defo stay there again

• 8th Apr 2014

Thanks for your positive review! Yeah we are pretty lucky with our location! We could put up signs directing you to your room, but where is the fun in that? We look forward to seeing you again, don't worry we'll give you a clue if you really can't find your way out of the MAZE :) Happy Travels!

Very average. Wouldn't rush back, don't go if you like your sleep!!!. Toilets were old and needed a good clean. Location was the only plus point.

Thank You for your review. We do try to target our accommodation to guests that enjoy evening activities as we have events and food/drink each evening. We do have a curfew at 11PM when we turn off our music. We then encourage all of our guests that wish to enjoy the evening further to attend one of the local pubs, we have a great one just next door that we have drinks vouchers for. The bathrooms in this heritage building are due to be upgraded, but we do our best to maintain cleanliness.

The maze is a very good place to stay in Sydney close to every thing in Sydney i have been there many time,s before and when in Sydney it is very good place to stay and good price

1 2 Next » last »