The Maze Backpackers Reviews

417 Pitt Street, Sydney, Australia

This is by far the worst hostel I've ever been, and I travel a lot. It's so dirty, so laut and not safe at all. The only positive thing is its location. I will never stay there again.

The weekend I was there the atmosphere was buzzing with lots of people hanging out in the dining area playing games. Great location.

Good location and good kitchen. No common area so very difficult to make friends. My room STANK and the showers weren't very clean. The housekeeping guy came in the room every morning, shouting, switching on the lights etc. horrible way to wake up. Would not recommend this hostel, especially for single travellers.

Great stay, good location and atmosphere. Nice friendly staff. Would definitely reccomend.

• 2nd May 2014

Maze had a great atmosphere for the common backpacker. They had nightly events which made it really easy to meet other travellers and the event staff seemed to really have it together. The location is prime... A 5-10 minute walk to the downtown area although the city is easy to navigate regardless. I would definitely come back here, although it is a party hostel the front desk asks you if you'd like to be in a quiet area or a social one. We requested a quiet one and were never disturbed!

• 28th Apr 2014

Very big inprovment since the last time i stayed there. Much cleaner and less noisy in the reception area. New kitchen is fantastic but bathrooms certainly need renewing. Also being much older i was given a nice quiet room, yea!!!

The hostel was in great location and the staff was all very helpful and nice. My room was pretty messy and smelled terrible, but that was because of the people currently staying in it. My suitcase had a padlock on it when my trip began and about halfway though, someone in the hostel (roommates or cleaning staff) cut the lock off with bolt cutters. I should have used a locker from the very beginning though.

• 18th Apr 2014

I was in a single room. Although it is really small, it is good value for the price and location. With so many male guests, it's no surprise that toilets could look terrible.

Great hostel to stay at, I have only stayed in private rooms and I guess I would not want to stay in a dorm here due to the fact that there is many long-term stayers living in here for a while.

Thanks for your review! We do have some long-term guests here, but everyone that works here has been a backpacker at some point, so we understand the same point you made. What we do here at MAZE is put the long-term guests in dorms together. This means when new visitors arrive they get to share dorms with other travelers. Everyone seems to be happy then! And we stay happy when we see you happy :) We have our free nightly activities to bring the whole hostel together too! Happy Travels

Maze indeed. They got PLENTY of rooms so it was quite easy to get lost in there. Still, great location, nice staff. We lived in a twin bed room which was quite narrowed but a good place to sleep at. Good facilities if you want to cook your own meal. Ok showers, a little dirty.

Perfect central location. Got lost so many times coming back from the bathroom!(maze!) would defo stay there again

• 8th Apr 2014

Thanks for your positive review! Yeah we are pretty lucky with our location! We could put up signs directing you to your room, but where is the fun in that? We look forward to seeing you again, don't worry we'll give you a clue if you really can't find your way out of the MAZE :) Happy Travels!

Very average. Wouldn't rush back, don't go if you like your sleep!!!. Toilets were old and needed a good clean. Location was the only plus point.

Thank You for your review. We do try to target our accommodation to guests that enjoy evening activities as we have events and food/drink each evening. We do have a curfew at 11PM when we turn off our music. We then encourage all of our guests that wish to enjoy the evening further to attend one of the local pubs, we have a great one just next door that we have drinks vouchers for. The bathrooms in this heritage building are due to be upgraded, but we do our best to maintain cleanliness.

The maze is a very good place to stay in Sydney close to every thing in Sydney i have been there many time,s before and when in Sydney it is very good place to stay and good price

My stay in the maze was absolutly amazing! Ist was clean, the staff was friendly, the people where amazing and every day intertainment and free drinks or food! :) Best hostel I ever stood :)

I found the staff to be very helpful and accommodating, good value for money and great location

• 24th Mar 2014

the music was too loud

• 19th Mar 2014

unfortunately our room backed onto the pub which was very noisy and kept us awake until after 2am on Monday night. Perhaps soundproofing would be an advantage. Also the shower roses were dripping every time I went into the ladies toilet facilities. Perhaps new washers are necessary to prevent such waste of water, or a sign to people to turn off the taps properly Regards, Susan

• 17th Mar 2014
  • Couple, 41+

DO NOT STAY HERE!!! This is easily the worst place i have ever stayed. Cocky and rude staff, sticky floors, noise all night as common area is right next to most rooms on both levels. The staff overbooked the room. I was woken up by one of the staff 2am to ask who i was and what room i was staying in. Was woken up at 7:30am by a staff lady grabbing my sheets off me then asking the same questions asked before. At 9am same bloody thing happened. No apologies or anything for it. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Good place to stay, the price was great and in a good location. Only complaint is that one member of staff was very rude when we were checking out and asking about the airport transfer (on the website it says you get free airport transfer if you stay three nights or more but they only mean pick up not free drop off) she was making faces behind our backs at her co-worker when she thought we weren't looking no big deal just maybe wait till the customers are right out the door first.

it would be good if some lockers can be provided within dormitory room.