The Maze Backpackers Reviews

417 Pitt Street, Sydney, Australia

Maze indeed. They got PLENTY of rooms so it was quite easy to get lost in there. Still, great location, nice staff. We lived in a twin bed room which was quite narrowed but a good place to sleep at. Good facilities if you want to cook your own meal. Ok showers, a little dirty.

Perfect central location. Got lost so many times coming back from the bathroom!(maze!) would defo stay there again

• 8th Apr 2014

Thanks for your positive review! Yeah we are pretty lucky with our location! We could put up signs directing you to your room, but where is the fun in that? We look forward to seeing you again, don't worry we'll give you a clue if you really can't find your way out of the MAZE :) Happy Travels!

Very average. Wouldn't rush back, don't go if you like your sleep!!!. Toilets were old and needed a good clean. Location was the only plus point.

Thank You for your review. We do try to target our accommodation to guests that enjoy evening activities as we have events and food/drink each evening. We do have a curfew at 11PM when we turn off our music. We then encourage all of our guests that wish to enjoy the evening further to attend one of the local pubs, we have a great one just next door that we have drinks vouchers for. The bathrooms in this heritage building are due to be upgraded, but we do our best to maintain cleanliness.

The maze is a very good place to stay in Sydney close to every thing in Sydney i have been there many time,s before and when in Sydney it is very good place to stay and good price

My stay in the maze was absolutly amazing! Ist was clean, the staff was friendly, the people where amazing and every day intertainment and free drinks or food! :) Best hostel I ever stood :)

I found the staff to be very helpful and accommodating, good value for money and great location

• 24th Mar 2014

the music was too loud

• 19th Mar 2014

unfortunately our room backed onto the pub which was very noisy and kept us awake until after 2am on Monday night. Perhaps soundproofing would be an advantage. Also the shower roses were dripping every time I went into the ladies toilet facilities. Perhaps new washers are necessary to prevent such waste of water, or a sign to people to turn off the taps properly Regards, Susan

• 17th Mar 2014
  • Couple, 41+

DO NOT STAY HERE!!! This is easily the worst place i have ever stayed. Cocky and rude staff, sticky floors, noise all night as common area is right next to most rooms on both levels. The staff overbooked the room. I was woken up by one of the staff 2am to ask who i was and what room i was staying in. Was woken up at 7:30am by a staff lady grabbing my sheets off me then asking the same questions asked before. At 9am same bloody thing happened. No apologies or anything for it. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Good place to stay, the price was great and in a good location. Only complaint is that one member of staff was very rude when we were checking out and asking about the airport transfer (on the website it says you get free airport transfer if you stay three nights or more but they only mean pick up not free drop off) she was making faces behind our backs at her co-worker when she thought we weren't looking no big deal just maybe wait till the customers are right out the door first.

it would be good if some lockers can be provided within dormitory room.

I had a single room and it was clean and very basic, just a bed and a chair and a window. The internet, from the room, was fast. Internet price of $12/7 days I thought was quite good. I had to go out of the room for a shower or pee but overall, with the cost I paid, which was around $60/day for a single room, it was good. The location was excellent I thought. Close to Chnatown or Thaitown. There were a couple of excellent Thai restaurants on Campbell St, just a block south of the Maze.

Only for party people... If you want a quiet place... Run away!

This is the worst hostel that I stayed at. There was almost no security - my room key opened the door but I couldn't lock it. Anyone could walk in; we had an extra person stay in our room one night who wasn't checked in. The beds were very rickety and actually mine was falling apart. The place was dirty and the atmosphere not good. The line for free pancakes took over an hour. The fire alarm went off twice in 4 days. I didn't get any sleep here or meet any people worth staying in touch with.

I appreciate the staff's accommodating my request for a quieter room, especially after witnessing how rowdy and noisy it could be. I'm also thankful that they seem to constantly clean all areas of the place. That made me feel more at ease about the cleanliness of the hostel, especially after seeing how a few of the guests didn't practice common sense when it comes to health.

Great location. Kitchen was big and had good facilities. Showers and toilets were little dirty but worked. Big and old hostel but ok to stay. Every night some party going on.

The service was atrocious staff couldn't have been less enthusiastic and were cocky and rude. The whole place stank. There's a charge for the wifi? Are you serious?!?! The best thing about this hostel is the location which was very convenient. I would only stay here again if i were desperate and had no other options.

My room was very smelly and there wasnt much space for bags. Showers and toilets were good accept for them being horrendously dirty throughout my entire stay. The place is truly a maze but its good for meeting people. Didnt use kitchen or joined in the festivities (had other plans booked since earlier) so have no comment about those. The hostel is abit pricy in comparison to what you get. Would stay again tho due to location and staff!

I stayed with my girlfriend in a private room there since they have one of the best prices in Sydney for that. It looks a little bit shabby and worn out at times and the ambiente could be better, but it is well clean due to all the people working and staying there and has an unbeatable location!

The location of this hostel is good, a few minutes from the bus station and a moderate walk to the opera house! The cleanest kitchen I have used since travelling!!! I would recommend this hostel on the kitchen alone. Free goon as well. Win.