The Maze Backpackers Reviews

417 Pitt Street, Sydney, Australia

It smelled really bad on the stairs. Atmosphere is average. Rooms are clean. Showers get super slippery when wet, dangerous. But for its price it was okay though

Really great value and really relaxed atmosphere, it was great!

• 15th Nov 2015
  • New Zealand

I just cannot believe that wifi there should be charged, it's really ridiculous.

My favourite hostel in Sydney! Great central location. The staff were really helpfull and friendly. Lots of activities organised and the burger night was awesome. The kitchen was very well equipped, spacious and always clean. Will definitely stay here again.

Location is good but the room had only one electrical socket and that one was far away from my bed so I could not charge my stuff over night. The hostel did not provide extension cables. No lockers in the room.

If you want to meet lots of new people and have a week full or partying this is a really good hostel to go to!

This place is a winner . For the size and location it's quiet for sleeping.

The whole building has a smell of stale sick. The electricity constantly switched off making it impossible to charge my phone. Loud guests running thru corridors at night stopped me from sleeping. Certain members of staff where rude and unapproachable.

• 22nd Oct 2015

It's a shame to pay this price for this croppy hostel. The situation is good and it's the only good point of this place.

Shower little dirty but otherwise great stay

• 10th Oct 2015
  • New Zealand

Roommate is very dirty.

• 2nd Oct 2015
  • Taiwan

We arrived at the Maze, late at night having travelled all day by train, to be told that The MAZE was adults only and so we could not stay there. Thus we forfeited our deposit to hostel world and had to find someone else to stay at 11pm Friday night in Sydney with an 11 year old child. Thus I have no idea about the MAZE but I am very disappointed that HOSTELWORLD was not more specific about age regulations at their accomodation.

• 2nd Oct 2015

The main drawback is that there's no free internet (neither wifi nor at the computer station). Stayed in a twin room, it had bunk beds and it was not very big, but it was comfortable all in all. Cleanliness and all the rest was fine for this category.

The staff at the hotel are extremely helpful! The downside is mainly the people at the hostel, no security in the rooms and people don't tend to lock doors so using the lockers downstairs (which you pay for) might be for some. If you're looking for a good laugh and meeting people then this is the place though! Great communal kitchen and tv room. Everything in the hotel needs a detox though, carpets are dirty and room I was in was smelly.

• 25th Sep 2015
  • Wales

Bathrooms were so dirty and so was the kitchen. Saw a girl "cleaning" the bathroom she didn't do much.

The location of the backpackers was very convenient and your staff throughout the day shifts were great. The night shift staff seemed less inclined to help and a bit lazy. However, the state of the bathrooms was undesirable at times. The toilets were okay but the showers were not. The female showers on level two didn't have proper shower heads so the water dribbled out like a tap and there was no where to put your bathroom products except on the floor (gross!!).

• 17th Sep 2015

Stayed in the recently renovated blue section, best hostel showers we've seen. Nice, large, clean hostel. Walking distance from darling harbour and Sydney harbour. Helpful staff.

If you stay there just for a Night , to Save Money, than it is okay but I personally didn't wan to take a shower in a bathroom that was obviously not cleaned.

• 10th Sep 2015

The atmosphere is great and staff is friendly. However rooms are very basic, quite stuffy and it's hard to sleep due to noise. In my room there were cockroaches but fortunately receptionist changed my room due to that. I stayed in many hostels in SE Asia (budget ones) and I haven't seen place with such terrible rooms as here.

For me, it was uncomfortable. I could't be relax at all coz the public space was loud and crowded every time. I could hear that sound even though I was in my room. People who are staying there are kind of crazy. If you would like to make friends like that, recommend this hostel.