The Midland Hostel Reviews

Str Biserica Amzei, nr 22, Apt 3, Sector 1, Bucharest, Romania

One of the best hostels I have been to. The founders of the hostel have designed their own card game called TravelIn. The game exercised my mental muscle and helped me get to know fellow travellers better. Played Catalan (a strategy based board game) after a few rounds of TravelIn. I spent only a night at Bucharest which was a night-out(after a very long time) playing games and smoking up. Had a great time. Highly recommend the Midland Hostel

Staff was very friendly and helpful all the time. Nice rooms and a good shower.

The common area is absolutely perfect, situated in the reception area it means people have to walk through to get to their rooms, so everyone ends up hanging out. Staff were friendly and helpful, I had a great stay.

The hostel has a good location, the staff is very kind and friendly, but we must make improvements to their bathrooms and showers (very bad) and the floor of the kitchen never looks clean. otherwise fine.

Our stay here, even short was unique. We had the time of our lives. The sense of community is strong, all travellers there can talk and socialize and the stuff were very helpfull and kind. Especially when we were trying to find a taxi to continue our route! Plus the atmosphere and the walls were awesome!

It was an awesome stay, the staff were amazing and the there was a really good vibe.

Midland is the best hostel I've ever stayed in. Every aspect of its design is geared toward creating an environment for travelers. I meant to stay 5 days and I stayed for a month. This is not rare; several people who filtered through during my time at Midland ended up staying longer than their initial booking. The staff is exceptional- the first thing they do after you've settled in is sit down with a map to show you everything you might need in the area. Facilities serve their purpose.

• 10th Sep 2015

The staff was nice and gave us the information we needed and access to all facilities. It is an old building and it seems very little investment was done in the recent years. We had a huge room, at the ground floor, but outside the secured area, so anyone from the street could enter if the door was unlocked.The bathroom is at the floor, quite inconvenient for us. If the room had at least a lavatory and access to a ground toilet, would be much better value for money.

Thanks for the kind words about the staff - we're glad we could make a positive impression. On the other hand, not so much thanks for the negative comments. Yes, anyone could enter IF the door was unlocked, but it's a LOCKED private room and you have the key. Also, directly from our info page, "Our private room is located 1 floor downstairs from the hostel and is not ensuite." Please remember to read a hostel's description before booking and you'll be much happier with your choice. :)

- welcomed us very friendly -the stuff is friendly - providing all the touristic information, recommending good places to eat, where to spend the evening or sight seeing tours. - situated on a highly safe location, just across the French Embassy where a guard holds service 24/7 -very close to the old town and is actually in the city centre -double room has some rather awkward decoration even though it is a beautiful old room -the showers are TERRIBLE - dirty, smelly

• 8th Sep 2015
  • Czech Republic

Hello there, we're very sorry about your experience of having to deal with a dirty bathroom. Our cleaning routine is twice a day (once in the late morning/early afternoon and once at night), so possibly you caught us between cleanings. Thanks for the compliments on staff and the beauty of our private room - it makes us feel good. :) Cheers and safe travels.

Alina was an incredible help to me - really welcoming and friendly and knowledgable about Bucharest, what to do and how to spend my time. She really helped me plan my trip and travel and was the highlight of my time in Bucharest. She is a credit to the hostel, going above and beyond what was required of her. Great ambassador and very professional...the sort of service you would expect from a 5 star hotel! Thanks so much Alina - you're fab! :)

Excellent hostel with great staff and atmosphere. Staff is very knowledgable about local area and can help with any questions. Definitely recommend and will be back if I'm back in Bucharest. Thank you!

The Midland Hostel is what hostels are meant to be: a place to stay staffed by friendly people (who are cooler than you or certainly me) and peopled by travellers,from various countries. It is far enough from the Old Town to mean you can get a good night's sleep but close enough to allow to enjoy a good night out and still stagger back rather than emptying your wallet into some taxi-driver's grasping hand. Good sized kitchen, smokers' balcony, large common room, enough loos and showers...

Good vibes, nice people, decent location

• 22nd Aug 2015
  • Bulgaria

Honestly one of the best hostels I have stayed at. Although the facilities arnt the best & a little older everything else about it makes it great. The staff are all some of the nicest and most accommodating I've ever met and the way the hostel is set up provides for a great atmosphere. Occasionally in hostels it's difficult to meet people but the friendly and homey atmosphere allows for a great experience. Can't imagine staying anywhere else next time I'm in Bucharest.

Excellent stay! It may seem far, but it's not. It's a straight shot (15 min) walk from the train station on one street. The atmosphere was one of the best I've experienced with hostels. Loved this place, I'd def recommend it.

I loved this hostel. It has a wonderful familial vibe and the staff are not only helpful but they join in to make you feel at home and to make the atmosphere wonderful. I was very sad to leave

It feels like HOME!

Only once in a rare occasion does a hostel come along like the Midland hostel in Bucharest. First and foremost the atmosphere, a combination of the hostel itself along with the incredibly kind and welcoming staff and guests, is the best I have encountered in stays at over 100 hostels. RUXANDRA, ALINA, DAN, AND ELI are more like family then hosts and it's not unlikely that I would return to the Midland just to revisit the staff alone. My advice to you: STAY HERE!!!

I felt very welcomed the whole time, as the staff is more than happy to help you with everything. However, my suggestion for improvement are the bathrooms, which clearly need a refurbishment.

Staff lovely and very informative, friendly snd helpful. Good location