The Missing Lantern Guesthouse Reviews

1185 Dean Street, Brooklyn N.Y., New York, USA

Pretty great all around. Could be a bit cleaner, but nothing major. Probably would go back. Area was great. Felt very safe. I read reviews on other sites that said otherwise. Didn't feel unsafe (as a white female) for one moment, even late at night.

• 5th Sep 2014

Cute little apartment style room(s). We stayed only one night, but the place was very clean and exceeded my expectations. Our bus arrived late, so no one was on site to check-us in, however there were plenty of signs posted to lead us to our room. The inn-keepers were easy to reach by e-mail and answered each one quickly!

• 9th Mar 2013

The Suite was awesome! Unfortunately, the visitors above my suite decided to have a very loud party for six hours way into the wee hours of the morning. I wish the staff would post emergency contact information somewhere in the suite. Maybe like a "Welcome book" that gives some information about the suite, local eateries, traveling accomodations ect... I was told that I should have called someone, but didnt have a number to call, and given "extra" business card for next time.

• 10th Nov 2012

Overall great experience, far better than a hotel. Only two minor issues that should be easy to address, both in the bathroom: the shower drained so slowly that it would have overflowed if I hadn't rushed my shower and turned the water off quickly; and although the blue lighting in the bathroom was cool, it was difficult to shave with.

Mediocre experience at this strange "guest house." The "main office" has no guest house signage but is rather the owners dentistry practice. We stayed in two rooms, both of a similar quality. The rooms are relatively clean and smell nauseatingly and overwhelmingly of cleaning products. They are very old, have peeling paint and stains on the walls, and have visibly had many shoddy repairs over the years. I would not recommend it, but for those on a budget, they come stalked with the necessities.

• 16th May 2012

There was an excellent kitchen, bathroom, television, and washer and dryer machine available. We liked this place a lot but there was a bit of a roach problem.

• 27th Dec 2011

area is ok, no problems; we came home every evening at 1/1.30 am in the morning. You should not show the typical tourist behaviors or sautering all alone in the late evening

• 9th Dec 2011

As long as people want a private space, not a community experience, it is a great place.

No Breakfast en no second bed although we paid for both..had to sleep on the sofabed

• 2nd Nov 2011

A large one bed apartment in Brooklyn at a great rate. Our midnight checkin was no problem.

This is an excellent place to stay in New York - we stayed at the suite on Jefferson street, which was an entire apartment with a kitchen, two TVs, beautiful art deco design, 10 min. from the subway and near some great places to eat. Try "Peaches" on 393 Lewis Avenue, around the corner. A 15 min. ride to Manhattan on the A train. For this price in NY you'd have a hard time finding anything close in either comfort or quality. Great place, will stay there again. Don't tell your friends.

Although the location is not ideal, everything else was perfect. We really enjoyed our stay!

There is no reception. I saw a mouse in the room. One of the beds were not comfortable. The code to go into the building was not working at the first night.

It's in a not great part of Brooklyn, so don't head over too late at night. But the hostel itself is very safe. And it's about 15 minutes by train to lower Manhattan, so not a great location. But other than those minor things, it's a fabulous hostel. The apartments really are beautiful and very nice. The staff is very helpful, even wrote us a note telling us how to get into our room since we got in too late to check in.

• 9th Sep 2011

I was very surpised when I arrived. Room was perfect, I realy en joy stay at The Missing Latern.

• 6th Sep 2011
  • Czech Republic

We loved The Missing Lantern, it was way more than we expected. The location is not ideal but you still get amazing value for money with the amenities, and it isn't too difficult to get into the city.

Convenient location, nice staff, accommodating and good communicators. We appreciated especially that they mailed our raincoats that we had forgotten in the suite. What a nice gesture in light of what was going on in New York at the time. thank you very much.

• 22nd Aug 2011

Great place to stay in Brooklyn, easily accessible by subway from and to Manhattan. Good quality for the price.

This guesthouse ended up being exactly what I was looking for. Everything was perfect. The room was beyond clean and it had more character than I could have asked for. I highly recommend the Missing Lantern.

A bit off of the common nyc path but very worth it for confident travelers. Terrific and modern apartment in a vintage Brooklyn brownstone. Clean and well appointed with terrific staff who went far and beyond for me. Thanks again

View all New York Bed and Breakfasts