The Monkeys in the Trees Reviews

49 Becklow Road, Shepherds Bush, London, England

I will always look back fondly in my dotage upon my time in the Trees. This was my second stay here and I had a great time. The showers need some TLC and one is missing a lock. The staff is great and James is easy to talk to. Just a great place to stay a few days.

Positives: it is cheap,including breakfast Negatives: it is way too far from the centre or even tube station and it is way too small - there are three floor beds which are so small I was banging my head all the time, rooms are very small too - nine people in a room 2x2 metres.Kitchen is small and does not even have a cooker, just microwave oven. Reception is not open 24 hours a day, their card terminal didn't work and the bathroom is again too small, springing water to all sides, no dryer

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Czech Republic

Pros: 1. Breakfast is inclusive. 2. Super friendly staff( the biology major staff). 3. Great back yard. 4. Easy to access to central by subway cons: 1. Not enof bathroom and toilets. 2. Kitchen is lack of equipments, not easy to manage self-prepared meals. 3. The mattress is comfy but can be better quality and bigger size. 4. Not easy to central by buses

Probably the best hostel I've stayed at in London. Good atmosphere and facilities. Shower's are actually hot, good wifi, super comfy beds. All the staff were friendly and went out of their way to help you.

You get what you pay for. The bad: The kitchen is always a mess so don't plan on cooking anything. Beds are triple decker bunks that are Very uncomfortable (spring mattress with no padding so you can feel every spring). Location is pretty far away from metro and city but atleast quiet enough to sleep. Weak showers that fill up because of blocked drains. The good: good free breakfast, fast wifi, and a nice chill pub on the ground level

Super friendly staff, I loved the pub and beer garden. Good location, nice and quiet, about 15 mins walk or 5 mins by bus to the nearest tube station. Definitely excellent value for money. Only bad things about my stay were the slightly uncomfortable mattress I had, and the fact that they had no lockers left when I arrived. I definitely plan to stay here again.

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • Northern Ireland

Great staff! Very nice and helping guys! The best breakfast in the city. The bunky beds are a great idea, but the mattresses could be improved. Toilets and showers need a little improvement as well as the internet connection. In general, a great experience!

This hostel was very nice. When I was there it was very quiet, the people were not there to meet other people, everyone was by him/herself. For me it was ok. The staff was very friendly! The breakfast was very good and the breakfast-room/bar is the highlight! It so cosy! It is a bit long to walk to the next underground, but it was ok, perhaps 15 minutes. Cheap shops are around the hostel, some supermarkets and very cheap fast-food-restaurants, that was cool. I would come again!

For a hostel with a bar, kitchen and free breakfast it is definitely worth the money. The rooms small with three bed bunks and not a lot of space in the room to store bags. Only a limited number or lockers out in the halls so you can lock your pack but you can put a deposit on a small locker for valuables. The staff are friendly and will recommend bars and cheap eats. A bit out of the main area of shepards bush but the underground is 15 minutes walk.

It is the perfect place to stay if you want a calm youth hostel with many services that are good provided. It is clean and the commune part are very friendly. Just to know: there is only a microwave and a fridge in the kitchen. However the little garden is wonderful to have breakfast and it is well decorated.

• 11th Jun 2014

You can't sit in your bed if you are not sleeping on the top one. keep knocking your head Horrible location , remote from the city need 45 min one way to travel Staff overall fair water temp not steady, sometimes like in fire while sometimes like swimming in Thames. But never have a mild temp price is expensive like shxt for that location and facilities. Other hostels close to town even cheaper than this one Feels like in a concentration camp while you need to pay. :)

I liked this hostel. It was fairly close to the tube which can take you just about anywhere in London. James was a very nice host. Decent wifi in the bar and getting better throughout. Clean and safe. I like the cubbys in the bunks that gave you some added darkness and privacy when sleeping. When I am in London again in a month or two I will definitely stay again so long as I can get a bottom bunk. I would not care to climb the bunk stairs to the middle or top with my bulk and age. Stay!

When we arrived early, they told us we could stay & then kicked us out into the rain to 'clean' (not that we ever saw any sign of cleaning). The staff were unknowledgeable, we were given bad directions twice. For every little thing (keys, lock, towels, hair dryer) it was a £5 deposit. The kitchen & bathrooms were DISGUSTING. The ladders to the beds weren't safe at all & the bunks were 3 high. The maid stole our pajamas. BUGS in one of our beds. We had to pull 6 beds off the wall to use outlets.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. You arrived too early, check-ins start at 2p.m. and it's not fair to blame us for having to clean the hostel in the morning. All the things you listed are free to use and I believe a £5 deposit is a good way to assure people remember to give them back before check out. The maid put your pajamas next to your bed while she changed your bed sheets to clean ones, sorry about that. Lastly triple bunk beds are visible on ALL pictures. Thanks for your stay

Good hostel - bit far out but good price. Nice bar common area underneath, peaceful area and comfy beds :)

As far as London hostels go this is the best I've stayed in. Although the location isn't in your typical tourist areas all of the sites are easily accessible by tube. By London standereds this is the cleanest, most affordable hostel!

Location was kind of out of the way. Very friendly staff.

• 14th May 2014

Very dirty. A total of 12 lockers available to store valuables even though they sleep around 100 people. The kitchen has pots but no stove/hob to cook. No hooks for towels in the ladies bathroom. Staff were rude and unhelpful. Would not recommend this place to anyone.

• 10th May 2014

In regards to this review. You are purely upset because you tried to scam the hostel and did not get away with it, you complained about getting separate rooms to your friend even though you both booked online separate room types and wanted to be upgraded for free so you could be together and was refused a full refund that you demanded after sleeping a night in the hostel. We have 2 sets of 8 big lockers placed literally side by side with a set of 24 metal ones which shows this review is biased.

This hostel isn't extraordinary, but not bad : the staff is cute, the place is quite enjoyable, the beers are tasty and no too expensive. I didn't like : the beds are not comfortable because of their thick mattress, the breakfast could be more diversified (fruits and yoghourts for example). Especially, toilets and bathrooms are too small ... and quite dirty.

Hostel is very out of the way, not near anything. Showers were not good, rooms were cramped and security was appalling everyones stuff was laying around the room and the door was rarely locked. Ok for what you pay it is quite cheap.

We loved it! The directions to find it were very helpful and easy to follow! The staff was super friendly and it was a very clean facility! Would recommend to others! Bunkbeds are stacked very high.. But it was an adventure. :)

« first « Prev 1 2 3