The Monkeys in the Trees Reviews

49 Becklow Road, Shepherds Bush, London, England

Lovely place but random in that some bathroom sinks didn't have Taps. Worst thing... The beds... Might as well have been made purely of springs. Covered in bruises and barely slept.

• 11th Aug 2014

The hostel has a great atmosphere with it's own bar and a common room where you can hang out, the staff is friendly. When going there, look for the pub "The Greyhound", it's the same building. The rooms are basic, breakfast great. The official wifi works poorly, ask for another one. There are no sockets or bins in the bathrooms which makes life for girls a little complicated. Located quite far from the underground so maybe not suitable for just one night but highly recommended for longer stays.

My visit started off bad, the guy told me they didn't accept credit card despite the Hostelworld page clearly saying they did. He wouldn't let me settle in before going out to find a cash machine. This was the last thing I wanted to do as I was pretty tired from trying to find the place. The sign for the hostel is no bigger than a A4 size piece of paper on the window of the pub. It worked out in the ene but first impressions set the tone and I wasn't pleased.

Hello, Your arrival started of badly due to arriving after our Last check in time of 11pm without letting us know you would be late. We have a huge sign on the side of the hostel/pub, sorry you did not see this or prepare for your stay by printing out the map with our location. In regards to the card machine, yes we are having some problems and have taken this off the websites, we also sent you an email to advise you of this issue, so you could organize alternate payment on arrival.

Basic, but clean with a friendly atmosphere.

• 30th Jul 2014

The staff and location are great, they also offer a great breakfast. However the place is dirty, floors are full dust, toilets smell musty and showers don't work very well, somethings just taking a shower was a nightmare.

For the price paid I could have stayed elsewhere with much less people in the room. There was little to no security in terms of luggage safety. You can rent a small locker but as to protecting your luggage itself there was no place to put it. The kitchens only contain a fridge and microwave. And often had fruit flies. Bathrooms were quite small and most showers broken in one way or another. Noise was also a big issue with seemingly no noise curfew on the building.

• 20th Jul 2014

I had a nice and comfortable stay , worth the money spent

• 19th Jul 2014
  • Pakistan

A nice hostel! The staff was really friendly and helpful (thank you again, James!). It seems like it is a bit far from the center, but with buses and the tube you are there really fast. And just around the corner in Uxbridge Road you have lots of good and cheap food! The only thing not perfect was that everything (rooms, beds and facilities) is quite small. But you have a nice pub downstairs to relax in.I had a really nice time there and will definitely stay there again if I come back to London!

I will always look back fondly in my dotage upon my time in the Trees. This was my second stay here and I had a great time. The showers need some TLC and one is missing a lock. The staff is great and James is easy to talk to. Just a great place to stay a few days.

Positives: it is cheap,including breakfast Negatives: it is way too far from the centre or even tube station and it is way too small - there are three floor beds which are so small I was banging my head all the time, rooms are very small too - nine people in a room 2x2 metres.Kitchen is small and does not even have a cooker, just microwave oven. Reception is not open 24 hours a day, their card terminal didn't work and the bathroom is again too small, springing water to all sides, no dryer

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Czech Republic

Our location did not change after you made your booking, we are still a 12min walk or 5min bus ride from the nearest tube station which you are able to see on hostelworld. As for being way to far from the "center" we are in zone 2 and it is convenient to travel into the city. You list being good value as a positive and then complain about the size of the rooms and bathrooms. For safety reasons we do not have an oven or stove top, and you would find most London hostel do not have a kitchen at all

Pros: 1. Breakfast is inclusive. 2. Super friendly staff( the biology major staff). 3. Great back yard. 4. Easy to access to central by subway cons: 1. Not enof bathroom and toilets. 2. Kitchen is lack of equipments, not easy to manage self-prepared meals. 3. The mattress is comfy but can be better quality and bigger size. 4. Not easy to central by buses

Probably the best hostel I've stayed at in London. Good atmosphere and facilities. Shower's are actually hot, good wifi, super comfy beds. All the staff were friendly and went out of their way to help you.

You get what you pay for. The bad: The kitchen is always a mess so don't plan on cooking anything. Beds are triple decker bunks that are Very uncomfortable (spring mattress with no padding so you can feel every spring). Location is pretty far away from metro and city but atleast quiet enough to sleep. Weak showers that fill up because of blocked drains. The good: good free breakfast, fast wifi, and a nice chill pub on the ground level

Super friendly staff, I loved the pub and beer garden. Good location, nice and quiet, about 15 mins walk or 5 mins by bus to the nearest tube station. Definitely excellent value for money. Only bad things about my stay were the slightly uncomfortable mattress I had, and the fact that they had no lockers left when I arrived. I definitely plan to stay here again.

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • Northern Ireland

Great staff! Very nice and helping guys! The best breakfast in the city. The bunky beds are a great idea, but the mattresses could be improved. Toilets and showers need a little improvement as well as the internet connection. In general, a great experience!

This hostel was very nice. When I was there it was very quiet, the people were not there to meet other people, everyone was by him/herself. For me it was ok. The staff was very friendly! The breakfast was very good and the breakfast-room/bar is the highlight! It so cosy! It is a bit long to walk to the next underground, but it was ok, perhaps 15 minutes. Cheap shops are around the hostel, some supermarkets and very cheap fast-food-restaurants, that was cool. I would come again!

For a hostel with a bar, kitchen and free breakfast it is definitely worth the money. The rooms small with three bed bunks and not a lot of space in the room to store bags. Only a limited number or lockers out in the halls so you can lock your pack but you can put a deposit on a small locker for valuables. The staff are friendly and will recommend bars and cheap eats. A bit out of the main area of shepards bush but the underground is 15 minutes walk.

It is the perfect place to stay if you want a calm youth hostel with many services that are good provided. It is clean and the commune part are very friendly. Just to know: there is only a microwave and a fridge in the kitchen. However the little garden is wonderful to have breakfast and it is well decorated.

• 11th Jun 2014

You can't sit in your bed if you are not sleeping on the top one. keep knocking your head Horrible location , remote from the city need 45 min one way to travel Staff overall fair water temp not steady, sometimes like in fire while sometimes like swimming in Thames. But never have a mild temp price is expensive like shxt for that location and facilities. Other hostels close to town even cheaper than this one

Hello, Our beds a 3 high as shown in our photos. We are in Zone 2 and very close to the city definitely not "remote" or "horrible" and you can see when making the booking where we are located from the city.

I liked this hostel. It was fairly close to the tube which can take you just about anywhere in London. James was a very nice host. Decent wifi in the bar and getting better throughout. Clean and safe. I like the cubbys in the bunks that gave you some added darkness and privacy when sleeping. When I am in London again in a month or two I will definitely stay again so long as I can get a bottom bunk. I would not care to climb the bunk stairs to the middle or top with my bulk and age. Stay!

« first « Prev 1 2 3