The Monkeys in the Trees Reviews

49 Becklow Road, Shepherds Bush, London, England

The palce wasn't hard to find. Me and my friends felt like home there, the staff was amazing, the place is very cosy. I have nothing bad to say about this place, only positive things :)

• 17th Oct 2014
  • Latvia

Everything was fine but I got attacked by bed bugs! They got a pest controller in but I still got bitten, Not good.

Very nice and clean hostel in a good location.Very easy you can get to the points of interest even in the night time. Very kind,helpful and informative staff Nice big rooms with solid wooden bunks,fast wifi working I the rooms as well Great free and fresh continental breakfast Very nice and quiet pub downstairs with discounts for guests. Overall I would highly recommend this hostel if you want cheap and cheerful stay in London

• 8th Oct 2014
  • Poland

As long as you're fine with a little under a mile walk to and from the ubderground station, the hostel is cheap and has the nicest lobby/lounge/staff of any hostel I stayed in in England.

Very nice hostel, especially by its unique atmosphere. The breakfast is a very nice opportunity to meet people lodging in the hostel. The bar is pleasant, with discounted drinks for hostel customers. The covers could be better, the same for the mattresses, but the most important thing is people and I met really nice people in there. Then I went to another hostel which is definitely not bad, but if I come to London again one day, I will go back to Monkeys. Special thumbs up for bartender Piotr!

• 7th Oct 2014
  • Czech Republic

Quiet and clean rooms, security lockers, 24 hour access, always felt safe, lovely staff. Would be amazing if they had washing facilities but there's a laundrette nearby. It's a bit far from the tube but 24 hour buses available.

Not a bad hostel but with some minor changes it could be so much better. The kitchen could be upgraded a bit and some power sockets next to each bed would make this place a lot better! Showers are average as well.

This hostel was very far away from central London and really filthy. I've been to a lot of hostels, but never to a disgusting one like this. The staff is lazy& unfriendly, the showers& toiletts are very dirty& almost falling apart& it seems like there is no one ever cleaning anything in this place. I can only tell you: don't go to this hostel, it's not even worth the low price! We only stayed there for one night, didn't get our money back& moved to generator hostel, which was very clean& good..

You were unhappy with the hostel as you did not like our location, you were here for less than 10hrs, arriving late at night and leaving the next morning. We are in a great area, that you do need to catch transport , which is clearly obvious in our description . As for staying at another hostel, that is double the price to us, it is unreasonable to compare us. We offer a great hostel at a good price and it is a shame you did not appreciate this. Our staff have won award for customer service.

To say that there's a kitchen is pretty much a cruel joke. There is a dirty little room with a sink, a microwave and a fridge and that's it. Horrible! I've stayed in plenty of hostels but that one was by far the worst! Also, the credit card machine thing wasn't working so people had to get cash in order to pay for the stay. Not too bad but rather inconvenient! Showers were not clean (hair everywhere- disgusting!!). Only the bar was alright and the staff friendly!

There is only one microwave at common kitchen. No fire, No stoves so we cannot cook anything.... ah, I see, here is England....

Hello, Thanks for the comment, we do not have a stove/Oven in the kitchen due to health and safety restrictions. We hope you had a great stay other than this. Monkeys in the trees

PROS: downstairs bar is nice, breakfast has EGGS!, staff is nice, beer is cheap! CONS: slow internet, tiny closet rooms with 6 beds in them, water in the showers is inconsistent (it freezes you then burns your flesh), location is far out so its a metro+bus to get anywhere If you really want to feel like monkeys in trees, this is the place!

Great stay at this Hostel, People at the desk were helpful, room ok, great atmosphere, great breakfast, close to a few cheap restaurant and convenient store. The first floor with the Pub is so great to rest after a day out ! Really good value for money. I definitely recommend !

The guy at the bar/reception (same one during the 2 days/2 nights I stayed) was really nice and helpful.The big downfall of this hostel is definitely the lack of cleanliness and the fact that it's not well taken care of. The mattress didn't properly fit on the bed so it came up on one side, no curtains around the bed, no lockers in the room. It lacks facilities to make your stay enjoyable and comfortable. You can find better places for the same price!

Lovely place but random in that some bathroom sinks didn't have Taps. Worst thing... The beds... Might as well have been made purely of springs. Covered in bruises and barely slept.

• 11th Aug 2014

The hostel has a great atmosphere with it's own bar and a common room where you can hang out, the staff is friendly. When going there, look for the pub "The Greyhound", it's the same building. The rooms are basic, breakfast great. The official wifi works poorly, ask for another one. There are no sockets or bins in the bathrooms which makes life for girls a little complicated. Located quite far from the underground so maybe not suitable for just one night but highly recommended for longer stays.

Nice hostel. Room was very messy which obviously has to do with the people but I think the lack of lockers in the room contributed (you can hire lockers though but it's not the same). Annoying having bathrooms on different levels but they were clean. Normal breakfast and nice bar downstairs. Only stayed one night so didn't get much of a feel for the vibe. Annoying it's not closer to a tube station. I walked as couldn't be bothered getting a bus and the train and it's a bit of a walk

My visit started off bad, the guy told me they didn't accept credit card despite the Hostelworld page clearly saying they did. He wouldn't let me settle in before going out to find a cash machine. This was the last thing I wanted to do as I was pretty tired from trying to find the place. The sign for the hostel is no bigger than a A4 size piece of paper on the window of the pub. It worked out in the ene but first impressions set the tone and I wasn't pleased.

Hello, Your arrival started of badly due to arriving after our Last check in time of 11pm without letting us know you would be late. We have a huge sign on the side of the hostel/pub, sorry you did not see this or prepare for your stay by printing out the map with our location. In regards to the card machine, yes we are having some problems and have taken this off the websites, we also sent you an email to advise you of this issue, so you could organize alternate payment on arrival.

Basic, but clean with a friendly atmosphere.

• 30th Jul 2014

The staff and location are great, they also offer a great breakfast. However the place is dirty, floors are full dust, toilets smell musty and showers don't work very well, somethings just taking a shower was a nightmare.

For the price paid I could have stayed elsewhere with much less people in the room. There was little to no security in terms of luggage safety. You can rent a small locker but as to protecting your luggage itself there was no place to put it. The kitchens only contain a fridge and microwave. And often had fruit flies. Bathrooms were quite small and most showers broken in one way or another. Noise was also a big issue with seemingly no noise curfew on the building.

« first « Prev 1 2 3