The Monkeys in the Trees

Good 1173 Total Reviews

• England, Male, 31-40
22nd Apr 2017
7.1

Staff extremely unhelpful, even aggressive when I tried to alter my booking, even though I did so in good time. Very uncooperative and for that reason I wouldn't recommend it. Otherwise a pretty nice hostel with really good character, and generally friendly staff if you're on their good side. although they didn't offer anywhere safe to lock my bag, even on request.

14th Apr 2017
5.4

Overall, this hostel was okay for the amount of money I paid. It was rather dirty and smelled bad, but the bed was comfortable. The biggest problem I had was getting into the hostel initially, since there is a code on the door, and no one answered when I knocked many times. The staff was not very welcoming either. The location is not bad though.

• Australia, Male, 25-30
6th Apr 2017
2.6

Do not stay here unless you are broke. This hostel is very dirty and rooms smell. The guy doing the cleaning does a very poor job he basically just empty the bins each day. Room use a pin and long term guests enter rooms they are not currently staying in. The common room/pub is only open 6pm-1030pm and was closed for a kids party one of the days without notice. wifi is only good in the pub. Kitchen is a microwave and kettle no cooker and hardly and plate.Pros Free lockers, nice owner.

• USA, Female, 18-24
6th Apr 2017
2.6

This hostel is unbelievably dirty. The floors and bathrooms are disgusting. All the doors use codes, so I'm sure it would be very easy for someone to break in since I doubt the codes ever change. Their lockers claim to be "free", yet you can't use your own lock and have to use one of theirs and give a deposit for it...so I just left my stuff in my room and hoped no one would steal anything. There's also only one guy working it, so hope you arrive in time to check-in, since it's not 24/7.

• Australia, Male, 25-30
3rd Apr 2017
2.0

Worst hostel I've ever stayed in. No area to sit in during the day, was told i could sit on the dirty floor. No kitchen utensils, everything in the hostel was filfthy, showers barely worked, wifi went on and off all day, and staff were extremely unhelpful. Never staying in this prison again.

• klausdenecke
  • Germany, Male, 18-24
31st Mar 2017
2.9

This was the worst hostel I ever stay. To go in is not in the main door, is on the side, no one knows. If you want to go in you need to knock hard in the door then the RUDE staff will come. They DO NOT HAVE A KITCHEN, is a microwave and fridge, all the kitchen is durty and smelly. The bedroom and bathroom are disgusting. PLEASE DO NOT stay in this hostel, is a favor for you. The location is not so bad, has busses and shops really close.

• Australia, Male, 18-24
20th Mar 2017
2.6

I never leave reviews whether the Hostel is good or bad. But i felt I needed to so people can avoid this hostel.Rooms were dirty, power kept going off, wifi didn't work half the time and there was no common room on the first floor as stated. The bar downstairs is actually quiet nice but was locked up and not open for 6 out of the 7 days we were there. This meant that we had to either eat our food in the hallway or in our hostel room. Spend 15 more pounds and stay somewhere decent.

15th Mar 2017
7.7

My stay was pleasant, but when my friend came to stay one night with me (even that i informed 4 days ahead) they didn't put us in the same room. And they don't take just one night. I haven't seen my friend for years so I booked two nights for her to stay with me in the same place. The hostel itself is pretty good but the bunk bed has three layers. The space isn't so big, you can't sit up straight and I bumped my head so many times when I get up from bed, I am at the bottom, close to the floor.

• Ireland, Male, 41+
13th Mar 2017

Most of the people staying in the hostel were looking for work in the UK and the hostel is an affordable place to stay until they find more permanent accommodation . This is reflected in the atmosphere with not many tourists or talk of sight seeing . The breakfast is good value . The hostel is situated in off the main road which makes it feel quieter and cleaner . It is more suitable for workers who would not use the hostel during the daytime to socialize as the communal area is closed daytime .

• Northern Ireland, Male, 41+
3rd Mar 2017
5.1

Typical for price. Cheap, available at short notice, breakfast included. A pain to get to and needs a good clean. Plenty of bathrooms, all tiny with lukewarm water. Staff quick & courteous. Combination locks rather than keys (secure?). Painted bedroom door was now too big for the frame so it didn't close or lock properly. I found toenail cuttings and a used hankie IN my bed. When I was checking out, I noticed that the fuses had been removed from the fire alarms in the main box in the hallway.

Thank you for your review.