The Mousetrap Backpackers Reviews

11 Kings Road, Paihia, New Zealand

Nice friendly hostel. Loved the sunny communal areas. Kitchens a bit small but functional. Really helpful owners.

One of the coziest hostels I've been to. Loved the common area upstairs and the views of the beach from the balcony. Felt like I was in someone's home and the couple who run it are so helpful. The shower head however is so low I had to crouch, so the showers could use a redo but other than that the atmosphere almost made up for it.

Better than we have expected for a backpackers accommodation. The atmosphere is welcoming and the place is accessible to all amenities so my friends and I were very happy with out booking.

• 18th Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Great place and good value for money. Would recommend staying here.

So comfy and cozy!

The people running the place were very friendly, helpfull and made is feel at home. The thing we really liked was that it is a quiet hostel, so no noise after 11pm. The views from the balcony are really good.

This is an awesome hostel! Its so cozy and really one-of-a-kind. The owner is super friendly and informative, you can borrow bikes and helmets for free and there's a great bar just across the street with live music! If your going to Paihia, I'd definitely recommend you stay here!

I came for 4 nights and stayed for 6! Awesome hostel , quiet , laidback , sociable atmosphere . Met a bunch of nice people

This was such a great, laid back hostel - the beach is two blocks away and the supermarket is a ten minute walk through town. It is nautical themed in decor and build (feels like your in a ship) and has a nice view of the water from the common area. Diverse age group of people staying there, and separate small common areas so it never got too loud, but was easy to talk other other guests if you want to. Friendly staff. Make sure to hang your laundry on the correct line.

Amazing hostel! It is everything a hostel should be; it's clean, comfortable, conveniently located and very charming and cozy. The lounges make you feel right at home and the outdoor areas are really lovely and relaxing. The staff are also extremely friendly and helpful (thanks again for helping me make my bus!!). It's one of the best hostels I've been to, I would highly recommend staying here!

Good all round hostel in character building.

Beds were very comfy and the lounges were lovely.

Great quiet spot. House has a lot of character.

We probably would have given this hostel 100% had it not been for the horrendously creaky bunk beds in our 4 bed dorm (room III). If anyone moved in the night it meant that everyone usually woke up. Please replace these for future guests sanity. Apart from that it is great. Big lockers in the dorms, good wifi, good kitchen and communal areas, really nice balcony with view of the bay, good showers and bathroom facilities and a really nice atmosphere. The staff are great too.

lovely atmosphere, friendly staff. i felt instantly very at home here, it's peaceful and well looked after. I stayed almost an extra week.

• 5th Feb 2015

Mousetrap This hostel is in a great spot on the main road with all the others. It's is a big old house that has been well outfitted into a backpackers that feels like home. Three kitchens, tons of space, balcony with sea views, private bathrooms, clean showers and good wifi ( not unlimited but good) The hosts were so welcoming and helpful. Would absolutely recommend this hostel.

Fantastic hostel! Really cute set up, ocean views from lounge, lots of games

Good location however was right opposite the rowdy pub. Great areas to meet people and good atmosphere between the backpackers. I feel the owner ruined this though by being quite pedantic and rather unfriendly. I appreciate there are quiet times in the hostel but I was hardly being rowdy sat in the corner uploading pictures and was told to sit way outside the hostel in the dark on a picnic bench. I found the rooms stuffy and did not sleep well. Disappointing considering good reviews.

Great hostel-2 minutes walk to the beach. Always clean and good free wifi.

Nothing to complain about. Nice Lounges, balcony and 3 kitchens. Very nice and comfy atmosphere.