The Mousetrap Backpackers Reviews

11 Kings Road, Paihia, New Zealand

Beds were very comfy and the lounges were lovely.

We probably would have given this hostel 100% had it not been for the horrendously creaky bunk beds in our 4 bed dorm (room III). If anyone moved in the night it meant that everyone usually woke up. Please replace these for future guests sanity. Apart from that it is great. Big lockers in the dorms, good wifi, good kitchen and communal areas, really nice balcony with view of the bay, good showers and bathroom facilities and a really nice atmosphere. The staff are great too.

lovely atmosphere, friendly staff. i felt instantly very at home here, it's peaceful and well looked after. I stayed almost an extra week.

• 5th Feb 2015

Mousetrap This hostel is in a great spot on the main road with all the others. It's is a big old house that has been well outfitted into a backpackers that feels like home. Three kitchens, tons of space, balcony with sea views, private bathrooms, clean showers and good wifi ( not unlimited but good) The hosts were so welcoming and helpful. Would absolutely recommend this hostel.

Fantastic hostel! Really cute set up, ocean views from lounge, lots of games

Good location however was right opposite the rowdy pub. Great areas to meet people and good atmosphere between the backpackers. I feel the owner ruined this though by being quite pedantic and rather unfriendly. I appreciate there are quiet times in the hostel but I was hardly being rowdy sat in the corner uploading pictures and was told to sit way outside the hostel in the dark on a picnic bench. I found the rooms stuffy and did not sleep well. Disappointing considering good reviews.

Nothing to complain about. Nice Lounges, balcony and 3 kitchens. Very nice and comfy atmosphere.

By far one of the best hostels I've ever been in. I was shown around as soon as I arrived and shown to my room which I really appreciated. The common areas are a great place to meet people. Would recommend to anyone, especially single travelers!!! Right down the road from the beach and close enough to town!

Had a wonderful stay at this hostel for two nights. Only a short walk to the main town

This place was great. Jake was so nice, friendly, and helpful. I'd definitely recommend this place.

One of the best hostels I have ever been to. Accommodating staff, clean, comfortable rooms, great leisure areas, sea views. The best hostel on the strip in Paihia

• 12th Jan 2015

This was a wonderful hostel. Jake was super helpful and friendly! I would definitely recommend it. The only downfall was if you moved hardly at all in the beds the would squeak really loudly...but I had earplugs and it easily solved that problem!!

Kitchen, room, and bathrooms are very clean. Owners ensure place is quiet after 11 pm for a good sleep . I had breakfast in the Eastern kichen, with the sun shining on me, as I enjoyed a million Dollar view of the ocean and Green hills. I booked 3 days and stayed for 5 days. Owner helped me with plannig hikes. Plus there are free bikes..

A great hostel with bags of character and lots of social areas. The staff are super friendly and the hostel is centrally located. Really enjoyed my stay here.

I really liked this hostel. It was very tidy and it really felt like a home! It was cosy and the people who stayed and worked there were really nice and helpful. The room I stayed in was a little bit small and a little old but the bed was good and there were big lockers! The bathroom was very good and awesome that there were multiple kitchens, bathrooms, living rooms and places to sit outside. Awesome place!

• 22nd Nov 2014

Great spot, friendly staff, good off-the-road spot to park my bike, comfy bead, pleasant common areas and toasty hot water in the showers. Good hostel

• 26th Oct 2014

Enjoyed my stay in this homely hostel. Good amount of socialising space and very friendly owners

The owner was really nice

Loved this place. Great atmosphere, very friendly, log fires when it's colder. Great views from the balcony. Nina and Jake who own and run the BP are lovely and really helpful with ideas for trips around the area. Free bikes to use and free internet (although limited GByte). Really nice rooms, comfortable beds and warm!

Really confortable beds, big lockers, very quiet, and also with a good lounge if you want to meet other people. They also offer free bike hire! I arrived after 9:00pm and there was a note telling me exactly wat to do, and the owner did my check in without any problems! I recommend if you want a good place to rest and enjoy Bay of Islands.