The Moustache Delhi Reviews

S-25, Greater Kailash Part 1, New Delhi, India

The good things: Nice common areas, regular breakfast, high speed internet, comfy beds. All seem nice. Unfortunately, I'm giving this hostel a bad review because of its staff. I arrived at night and the individual in charge almost made me go crazy. He doesn't speak good english, which is fine, not mandatory, but in an international hostel this is desirable. He basically ignored all my requests and even though I tried to make clear what I needed, I had to do all myself. Not a good experience.

Hey there! Our usual night person was on leave for 2 weeks and we had to temporarily get in help from someone not familiar with the hostel systems. We apologize for the inconvenience this caused. Our night guard, Raj, is now back and we believe this problem won't repeat itself. Sorry again! Save travels.

Decent hostel. Friendly staff, clean and safe. Nice roof terrace and common rooms.

I would come back. I look for 1) comfortable bed, 2) clean room and 3) good shower. Got all three (shower was iffy). Wi-fi undependable. Staff is great. Wonderful map showing local places of interests and marking way to nearest Metro. Plus a map of Metro system. Very helpful.

Had a great time at this hostel. Lots of interesting people around and the common spaces make it a great place to meet others. Location is great in a quiet and modern part of Delhi with lots of good food options nearby. Would definitely stay again.

The staff isn't that helpful or friendly. I had questions about getting around New Delhi, things to do etc... and every time i felt like I was inconveniencing them even though they weren't busy. cold vibes.

Hi there! March was a bad month for us from a staff point of view. We had unexpected departures during a busy month and several of our guests including you faced issues with the new staff. We have now successfully crossed that hurdle and are ready with a much better team. Apologies for the inconvenience you faced during your stay with us.

Can't say I was a big fan of the place. It's a nice building and in a nice neighborhood. But the atmosphere in the place is quite odd, doesn't seem like a very social hostel. Also beware of the tours, they tell you that they are "donation" based. So you think it will be cheap day out. You then have to pay 200 ruppees for tuk tuk and then at the end of the tour the guide awkwardly says what she expects as a donation. Kind of defeats the purpose of donation, also demanding a lot at 500 INR each!

The tours truly are donation-based. That means you can pay what you like. That shouldn't stop the guide from suggesting a donation. At the end of any "free" walking tour across Europe and South America, the guide suggests what people usually donate so that people unfamiliar with costs of a place know what's a decent tip. Also, just because a tour is donation-based does not mean we will pay for your transport and food. That's really unreasonable to expect and not what is ever promised!

Nice place to stay. They were kind enough to let me pay for only one night after I'd made a mistake with my booking. Dorms are nice, and good facilities. The lockers are a bit insecure and bathrooms not the cleanest, but otherwise a good place in a decent location.

Really nice area, acceptable distance to metro station, and many good places around there, many locals food too if u dare to try, i got nice frankies there. I would recommend this hostel , I'll stay here again if come to delhi in future

A nice little, friendly gateaway from the chaos of delhi. Perfect for lone travellers. Met some really cool people to share stories with. Highly reccomend

• 21st Mar 2015
  • Malta

Never stayed in a hostel in India before and being Indian myself, I was surprised that it was a good effort, Rooms and bathrooms were clean, but being an Indian staying at the hostel seemed to surprise the staff. Who in my view needs to be trained more especially the night staff. In others hostel, the lock for lockers is provided, but here the locks were not provided. and though locker concept was good as wheeled bunk below the bed but it made a lot of noise which can be problem in late night.

Hey! We are glad you enjoyed Moustache. Sorry about your experience with the staff; some of them are new and we're working on training them. That said, it had nothing to do with your nationality. Indians are one of the 10 largest nationalities to stay with us. Locks are never provided in hostels and most hostels around the world ask you to carry or buy your own lock. This is for the safety of your stuff (we don't want to keep spare keys for lockers for e.g.). We do sell padlocks, however.

Upon arriving I wasn't greeted. After dealing with an error in my bill I was shown to my room. The bunk bed in the mixed dorm is fine. Comfortable. Includes pillow & blanket & sheet. You need a lock for the large locker. The bathroom was filthy as are most India hostel bathrooms. I was not shown the rest of the hostel or given a tour. I found the kitchen. It was fine, has all the amenities. The common room was fine. But overall the hostel has a cold atmosphere. Internet ok. Staff is not helpful!

Hey! We are really sorry about your experience with the staff. You stayed with us during the busiest period in our 15 month history. On top of that, we were short of 2 staff members due to unexpected departures from the team. All this contributed to the staff being rushed and over-stretched. We are working hard on fixing this. Safe travels!

Moustache is the best hostel I've been to in my 6 weeks in India. It's like being in a European hostel. The atmosphere is great, with lots of backpackers to hang out with. There is good wifi, it's clean, and there is even hot water in the showers, which is a huge plus. The staff is really friendly and helpful. If you are just arriving in India this would be a nice way to ease into the trip, or in my case it was a really nice break from the intensity of India.

The staff was wonderful. The instructions they provide before your trip are very helpful. I arrived at 3am and Raj was so nice and explained everything. The staff is very helpful in pricing rickshaws and set up up with great tours that locals use so they are inexpensive. The environment is super chill and attracts cool people. Very easy to meet and talk to people.

The chai at breakfast was great and so was the common area. It was easy to meet other travelers, and there's lots of seats and places to hang out. The staff wasn't helpful for really anything. The dorm room was standard, plugs by the bed are always nice, and the under bed storage felt a little janky but fit a ton which is nice.

Hey! We're glad you liked the setup of the hostel and the chai :). Sorry about your experience with the staff; we have had to deal with unexpected departures in our team and are in the midst of training new people. Hopefully it'll all be fixed real soon. Safe travels!

I enjoyed meeting a lot of interesting travelers at the Moustache Delhi. Overall, the hostel was above average in most categories. The biggest highlight was the helpful, youthful and energetic staff. I also greatly appreciated loading up for a busy day of traveling with a large complimentary breakfast. I actually liked staying in a quieter area of town. I appreciated having the ability to sleep well at night after pushing myself through long travel-days outside.

Really nice hostel with a good vibe. Nice breakfast and common areas. However the travel desk is a rip-off! We paid quite a bit for a trip and ended up having way more hassles (i.e. train tickets booked for the wrong day, dodgy hotel, guide and driver who refused to take us to some of the sights and went to the tourist rip-off places instead) than we've had traveling by our selves.

As for the staff: one person was definatelly more helpful than the other - though it is funny to have fun on the job, when you are in India for the first time you appreciate soembody who can actually help you. I would definately recommend this hostel: clean, safe, great atmosphere, location: you can always wlak to the underground station or take the "auto".

Hey! Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed the hostel and would recommend it to others. We apologise for your experience with one of our staff members. We've had to deal with unexpected departures of some of our team members and are in the midst of building a new team. It'll all be fixed soon, we hope :) Safe travels!

The hostel is cozy. It's very nice atmosphere to stay, although it's quite crowded hostel. The bed is the most comfortable bed I've been slept on, so far, for the hostel.

The beds in the private room were extremely soft, they desperately needed fitted sheets rather than a flat sheet that came untucked the second you lay on it. The blanket inside the cover was ill fitting and as a result did not stay in properly and one person ends up with nothing. one day they brought people to sleep in our room when we were still there. The common room was like a therapy room for the attention indian staff member who didn't want to marry, such an attention seeker!

Hey! We're sorry to hear about your experience. There is no one mattress that works for everyone. So, we use industry standard mattresses found in most starred hotels. We apologise for the confusion with the occupancy of your room. It was a mistake that was corrected immediately (the wrong room number was mentioned on the check-in list). We'll look into the sheets and blanket covers to ensure better fitting linen. Safe travels!

Great place, nice living room. One complaint is that the taxi driver that the hostel booked for me and another traveler to the train station charged us 350 each when we definitely agreed to 350 total. Didnt argue because I didnt want to be late for my train to Agra.

Hey! We are really sorry about your experience with the taxi service! We were trying a new service out and it seems like the driver messed up. We'd be happy to refund your money if you stop by in Delhi next. Cheers The Moustache Team