The New York Loft Hostel Reviews

249 Varet St., Brooklyn, NY, New York, USA

Good location, close to Morgan Avenue on the L train. Rooms were clean and atmosphere at hostel was good! Would recommend to young travellers going to New York.

• 20th Aug 2014

Very much liked the decorations throughout the hostel (Batman, Spiderman, Superman, adorning the elevators.) Each room has a different New York icon. I was happy to be in Chinatown rather than next door in the NY Yankee room (but the Groucho Marx room was my favorite. One quibble, was that Al Capone on the Wiseguys door? He was a Chicago guy.) The breakfast was fine and the staff was helpful and friendly.

• 18th Aug 2014

building is great, new and well arranged just like the pictures. rooms are not enough cleaned though, could be better cared and the wifi sign is very low in them.

I did not like that I had to change my room in the middle of my stay for no reason. At first I was checked in a room that was already fully booked, than I got a bed in a different room for a night and had to moove later, that did not makle sense at all. In the new room there was a locker missing (5rooms , 4 lockers (room 105)) - I asked the staff to get the missing locker - they told me that they will di it ASAP but it never happend - that"s why I think the staff did a very poor job this weekend

• 14th Aug 2014

Thank you for taking the time our to review our hostel. Our number one priority is customer service and we will take your critique to better our Hostel.

A group of 3 of us stayed at this hostel whilst travelling after summer camp, be aware, the taxi drivers from the airport may not know where the road is, and when you are driving through Brooklyn you look like you are in the middle of nowhere, but when you get to the hostel it's definitely worth it! 3 blocks from a subway station that gets you right to the centre. The staff even moved bookings round when we got there to fit us in the same room, even though it wasn't what was on the booking!

• 13th Aug 2014

Accommodation basic but comfortable. Hostel is in a lively area, so can be noise from outside at night. Communal facilities very pleasant and adequate free breakfast. Close to subway (L), so easy access to Manhattan and plenty of good cafes and bars in the neighbourhood.

Thank you for your kind review. We hope to see you back soon!

5 min walk from the metro station, which was not bad. there was a bar in the building - the live concert on Fridays was fun. I traveled alone, so I felt the cheerful (?) music sounded like they welcomed me. the balcony on the 3 rd fl was cute -- i read kindle at night there. the only downside was that the music from the bar was heard in my room. I had a headset/ear plug, so it did not bother my sleep that much though.

• 8th Aug 2014
  • South Korea

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your input and are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you soon!

my first impression was "oh! here isn't residential area but warehouse/industrial area." but I could recognize that here is relatively safe and clean. my room with restroom and shower was clean and decent. I liked breakfast and barbecue party that I met a lot of good friends from different countries. If you want to find more amusing spots, then I will recommend Bedford Ave. area. Staff were very helpful. by the way, i was very annoyed by noises from other buildings on Friday and Saturday night.

I really enjoyed staying in this hostel,very nice personal,everything you need for to stay if you travel.Perfect location,close to subway.Exellent place at all.Thank you very much!I will be back this place next time for sure.

• 7th Aug 2014
  • Russia

Thank you for your kind review. We hope to see you back soon!

the staff is very rude the ones that I talk with were very unapproachable. they were rude and unhelpful..

• 6th Aug 2014

I stayed in a smaller private room - the beds comfortable, the roommates were considerate and kept to themselves. There was a bar and an outdoor area with a barbeque the hostel threw for the dwellers which was fun. The atmosphere was convivial and international. The neighborhood is industrial and the community consists of artists and cool kids and there seemed to be something going on behind those doors. Cafes in the area are funky and charming. Food trucks line the street in the evening

• 6th Aug 2014

Thank you for your kind review- we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you soon!

The staff was very friendly. There was plenty of seating in the patio area. My only complaint is the mattresses on the bunk bed were brutally hard and therefore uncomfortable.

• 5th Aug 2014

There were not a lot of Hostel organised events that I've experienced at other hostels, for example pub crawls or walking tours which help to meet people. I would have also liked to have more travel materials available, I was only given a small subway map when asked and a larger map would have been great.

This hostel is the best !!! It's not that far from center and all what u need it's around hostel. Rooms are very nice, clean, staff's very friendly. U'll love it.

• 2nd Aug 2014
  • Czech Republic

Shower was cold the last 2 days. Free breakfast was mostly just cereal and air bread toast. Beyond that, a very nice stay, with free BBQ on Wednesday and Friday, grand opening of the Downstairs Bar, and a relaxed environment with lots of international travelers to meet.

• 2nd Aug 2014

I had a bad experience with a roommate that had a horrible odor to his clothing. It was the worst thing I had ever smelt in my life. I had to request another room. The female staff member who did check me in was a little unsure what I was asking but later I was able to communicate my situation to one of the other staff after having him come into the room and smell the foul odor. It concerned me deeply because I had a headache from the odor for three days. It burned right through my lungs.

Thank you for taking the time out to review our Hostel- we are happy the situation was resolved. We hope to see you back soon.

My husband and I enjoyed our time there. The bathrooms were cleaned, as well provided. (Of course, bring ur own towel, soap...)There was every morning: bread, milk, coffee, orante juice, apple, cereal...better than having nothing!! The hostel is like 3 blocks from the subway..not toó bad. What we liked was the free bbq con friday!! (Its wedn and friday) Would recommend going there...its worth the money.

• 1st Aug 2014
  • Colombia

Thank you for your review- we appreciate your input and are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you soon!

Rob, at front desk, the was especially kind to me when I checked in after a long exhausting day. I really appreciated his patience with me.

• 31st Jul 2014

What a great place to stay. Pros: clean rooms and bathrooms, great patio space on floors 1&3, great tv area, free meals on occasion and always free breakfast, laundry room (not advertised yet), fast (enough) wifi, and some very friendly staff. Cons: Not all the staff is so friendly. The girl working the front desk one of the days I was there was working really hard at not caring about anyone or anything around her. Being so sullen is a tough thing to manage, but her skills were advanced.

Thank you for your review- we appreciate your input and will take your suggestions to better improve our hostel. Hope to see you soon! Message from sullen girl: Apologies Mr. Capone, It was one of those days- I swear I'm actually quite cheery :)

It is a great looking place and I really loved the facilities etc. But my room was really small for 3 persons and my roommates were really messy. The bathrooms are not enough when the hostel is full, I had hard time to find a free one in the morning. They have to update the images of the rooms on their web page to give a true picture of the room sizes.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7