The New York Loft Hostel Reviews

249 Varet St., Brooklyn, NY, New York, USA

Had the time of my life hanging out in their basement bar and in the back garden area! Amazingly diverse international community, awesome facilities in a very cool neighborhood. I can't say enough good things about NYLH!

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us!! Please visit us again soon :) Happy travels!

This is one of the best hostels I stay at, except some periods of time the nightly rate gets too high. But its a clean modern place with a nice breakfast spread downstairs, and large rooms.

We appreciate you reviewing us! We hope to see you back soon :) Cheers!

I think the staff did a very good job at making the place hospitable and interactive. They had brilliant organized events, and the place was generally clean and proximate to multifarious awesome places. I loved staying there.

• 16th Mar 2015
  • Egypt

Hey! Thanks for your review. We hope to see you back this summer and enjoy our weekly BBQ's! Happy travels!

The bathrooms were clean everyday, they are always provided liquid soap and toilet paper, the breakfast was good, the kitchen was very clean and they had enough kitchen equipment, the rooms were clean, very comfortable beds with warm blankets, they always kept the place warm at every area in winter. The wifi was good but the signal was too low, they should install more routers in every floor, that is my only observation. the staff was kind and nice. You are gonna love staying there.

• 16th Mar 2015
  • Venezuela

Thank you for your honest and helpful review- We hope to see you back very soon :)

Great experience, great people, great value.

• 15th Mar 2015

Thanks for your review! We are thrilled you enjoyed your time here! Please visit us again!

Overall, experience was good. I was not much for the type of area but I did enjoy my stay in the hostel. My two biggest complaints were the dirtyness of hostel bathroom and lack of staff to provide a lightbulb for me in my bed after asking 3 times. Its the little things that count. All in all, the staff were wonderful.

• 14th Mar 2015

We appreciate your honest and helpful review! We hope you visit us again in the summer time! Happy travels!!

Very expensive for what you get. The room I got was very small, with a shared bathroom. The area is quite desolate, which is nice if you are a photographer. Maybe it's better in summer. Breakfast is also very minimal and unhealthy.

We appreciate you taking the time out to review us. We will take your suggestions to help better our services. Please visit us in the summertime where we offer free BBQ dinners for our guests! Happy travels!

It was nice to be able to check in later in the evening. Even though it was loud on the first floor from the bar below, we did not hear much of it since we were on the 3rd floor. We are a married couple, so we were able to reserve a private room with its own bathroom. The room and bathroom were clean. Only the WiFi was slower and inconsistent, and the heating was a little too high. The weather has getting warmer. Overall though, the experience was good and we wouldn't mind going again.

• 12th Mar 2015
  • imagineme302

Thank you for your honest and helpful review! We hope to see you back in the summertime! Happy travels!

Overall I found the hostel very good but expensive. You could find excellent hostels for its price tag somewhere else in the world but I think not in NYC. Stay at the hostel because: - Good location (NYC is more than just Manhattan) - You will share a room with 2 or 3 people - Basic breakfast included - Enough bathrooms to share (not overcrowded) The staff could be a bit friendlier by not showing how bothered they actually feel when you ask them anything! Although you´ll get helped.

• 11th Mar 2015

The hostel location was great! So close to the metro and lots of great bars/cafes/restaurants. I loved the kitchen and courtyard, but the room itself was excessively hot on my first night there--I suppose the heat was still cranked up and not adjusted after the really warm day New York had just had. I was told that it was central heating and there was nothing that could be done about it. The wifi signal sucked, and I was awoken by renovation work on nearby rooms on the weekdays.

• 11th Mar 2015

Hey Thanks for your honest and helpful review! We appreciate you staying with us and we hope to see you this summer where we offer our guests free BBQ dinners and more! Happy travels!

Not a fan of big city, hundred bed hostels, but this one is well run and really works at generating it's own atmosphere

Thank you for your honest and helpful review! Please visit us again soon!

I loved the place and its surroundings ... lot of thibgs to do! Apart from two girls ;) I thought the staff was quite boring :( Breakfast was great

• 4th Mar 2015

Hello, Thank you for contacting us! We appreciate your review. We hope to see you back very soon!

Breakfast should include vegan options as clientele are coming from various locales. All we could really eat were the apples. (Peanut butter was really poor tasting).

We had a great time! We were greeted by chatty, friendly, easy-going staff who were helpful without being overly attentive. The immediate neighborhood was fantastic, and the hostel is so conveniently located near bars, brunch places, coffee shops, and co-ops. The only downside was that the room was super dusty, but not enough to deter us from staying there again.

• 26th Feb 2015

Stayed in 3 bed dorm, appreciated how everyone got a single bed (I hate being allocated a top bunk!). Did NOT appreciate how a 24 hour no curfew hostel can close their kitchen at 1am. Unacceptable. Heater was terrible, barely worked. It blasted hot air for about 5minutes before turning itself off permanently. Neighbourhood was not the best, but better than a previous stay in Long Island City. The biggest drawback is the L train, which is not a very good train line to be travelling on.

The hostel itself, the infrastructure, location, rooms and loos are all decent and good value for money. You also find a good eclectic mix of people to meet. There could be more being done about cleanliness in the common areas - the cleaning ladies are really sweet and do a good job, but the tv room couches for example, could be in better shape and color and smell.

• 21st Feb 2015
  • India

Hello! Thanks for your helpful and honest review. We will take your suggestions to help better our hostel. Please visit us again soon!

I visit New York about four times a year, and this is my preferred lodging--when the price is right. Excellent facilities and extremely spacious for NYC. Hostel is a converted warehouse in an industrial district (or "Bohemian" if you prefer). Gritty looking neighborhood but seems safe. Nothing to see in the vicinity of the hostel, but the subway is nearby. Good wifi. Only problem is the price, which ranges from $30-60 for a dorm bed depending on date. When it is $30, snap it up!

Thank you for your honest and helpful review! We hope to see you soon!

There was no heating for 2/3 nights and only a blanket was provided. Had to sleep in my full clothes and winter jacket and was still freezing reception were very reluctant to help with this matter. Breakfast good location good Only heating situation let the place down!!!

• Scotland

Thank you for reviewing us! We apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced. We hope to see you back this summer where we will host our free BBQ's! Happy travels.

To be brief : did not the rooms we had booked, bedrooms very cold (would say 13-15°C) and NOT ENOUGH BLANKETS FOR EVERYONE so obliged to sleep with coats and hats. One man from the reception was useless, did not really try to find solutions for us when we had problems of blankets and preferred repeating that he didn't have blankets anymore, he couldn't do anything for us. Pretty bad when you know that empty rooms have blankets, but he didn't know which rooms are free...

• 15th Feb 2015

Hello, Thank you for your honest review. We apologize for any discomfort that you may have experienced. We have since fixed our heating system and acquired many blankets/heaters for our guests. We hope that you visit us in the summertime where we have free BBQ's! Happy travels.

No wifi in the room and almost no heating during the deep freeze. Encouraging me to "sit in the hall by the elevator" to do work online and that I should just "get an extra blanket" (which was more like a towel) to deal with a severely under-performing heater is simply unacceptable - even for a hostel. One of the front desk folks (platinum hair and nose ring) made the stay especially unpleasant. I can take a good deal of Bushwick smug (that's why I love it after all), but seriously: do your job.

• 15th Feb 2015

Hello, We appreciate you taking the time out to review our hostel. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have had. Our main priority is excellent customer service and we are working on improving our amenities during this frigid season. We hope to see you back in the warmer months!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7