The New York Loft Hostel Reviews

249 Varet St., Brooklyn, NY, New York, USA

Accommodation basic but comfortable. Hostel is in a lively area, so can be noise from outside at night. Communal facilities very pleasant and adequate free breakfast. Close to subway (L), so easy access to Manhattan and plenty of good cafes and bars in the neighbourhood.

Thank you for your kind review. We hope to see you back soon!

my first impression was "oh! here isn't residential area but warehouse/industrial area." but I could recognize that here is relatively safe and clean. my room with restroom and shower was clean and decent. I liked breakfast and barbecue party that I met a lot of good friends from different countries. If you want to find more amusing spots, then I will recommend Bedford Ave. area. Staff were very helpful. by the way, i was very annoyed by noises from other buildings on Friday and Saturday night.

I really enjoyed staying in this hostel,very nice personal,everything you need for to stay if you travel.Perfect location,close to subway.Exellent place at all.Thank you very much!I will be back this place next time for sure.

• 7th Aug 2014
  • Russia

Thank you for your kind review. We hope to see you back soon!

the staff is very rude the ones that I talk with were very unapproachable. they were rude and unhelpful..

• 6th Aug 2014

Thank you for taking the time our to review our hostel. Our number one priority is customer service and we will take your critique to better our Hostel.

I stayed in a smaller private room - the beds comfortable, the roommates were considerate and kept to themselves. There was a bar and an outdoor area with a barbeque the hostel threw for the dwellers which was fun. The atmosphere was convivial and international. The neighborhood is industrial and the community consists of artists and cool kids and there seemed to be something going on behind those doors. Cafes in the area are funky and charming. Food trucks line the street in the evening

• 6th Aug 2014

Thank you for your kind review- we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you soon!

The staff was very friendly. There was plenty of seating in the patio area. My only complaint is the mattresses on the bunk bed were brutally hard and therefore uncomfortable.

• 5th Aug 2014

There were not a lot of Hostel organised events that I've experienced at other hostels, for example pub crawls or walking tours which help to meet people. I would have also liked to have more travel materials available, I was only given a small subway map when asked and a larger map would have been great.

Shower was cold the last 2 days. Free breakfast was mostly just cereal and air bread toast. Beyond that, a very nice stay, with free BBQ on Wednesday and Friday, grand opening of the Downstairs Bar, and a relaxed environment with lots of international travelers to meet.

• 2nd Aug 2014

I had a bad experience with a roommate that had a horrible odor to his clothing. It was the worst thing I had ever smelt in my life. I had to request another room. The female staff member who did check me in was a little unsure what I was asking but later I was able to communicate my situation to one of the other staff after having him come into the room and smell the foul odor. It concerned me deeply because I had a headache from the odor for three days. It burned right through my lungs.

Thank you for taking the time out to review our Hostel- we are happy the situation was resolved. We hope to see you back soon.

My husband and I enjoyed our time there. The bathrooms were cleaned, as well provided. (Of course, bring ur own towel, soap...)There was every morning: bread, milk, coffee, orante juice, apple, cereal...better than having nothing!! The hostel is like 3 blocks from the subway..not toó bad. What we liked was the free bbq con friday!! (Its wedn and friday) Would recommend going there...its worth the money.

• 1st Aug 2014
  • Colombia

Thank you for your review- we appreciate your input and are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you soon!

Rob, at front desk, the was especially kind to me when I checked in after a long exhausting day. I really appreciated his patience with me.

• 31st Jul 2014

What a great place to stay. Pros: clean rooms and bathrooms, great patio space on floors 1&3, great tv area, free meals on occasion and always free breakfast, laundry room (not advertised yet), fast (enough) wifi, and some very friendly staff. Cons: Not all the staff is so friendly. The girl working the front desk one of the days I was there was working really hard at not caring about anyone or anything around her. Being so sullen is a tough thing to manage, but her skills were advanced.

Thank you for your review- we appreciate your input and will take your suggestions to better improve our hostel. Hope to see you soon! Message from sullen girl: Apologies Mr. Capone, It was one of those days- I swear I'm actually quite cheery :)

It is a great looking place and I really loved the facilities etc. But my room was really small for 3 persons and my roommates were really messy. The bathrooms are not enough when the hostel is full, I had hard time to find a free one in the morning. They have to update the images of the rooms on their web page to give a true picture of the room sizes.

Only downside was that the showers took 5 minutes to get hot, and then sometimes the hot water would only last for 2 minutes; even though there's a sign on the wall saying be thoughtful of others and take 5 minutes to have a shower. Other than that can't complain.

• 28th Jul 2014

I didn't get to use all of the facilities during my stay but I really enjoyed my time. The place was probably the cleanest/most modern hostel that I've stayed at, I was incredibly appreciative. The one thing I will say is that staff weren't particularly explanatory during checkin, and whenever I would ask things like, 'where's the common area?' or.... 'which direction is my room?' i would get looked at like a fool. Which I was! Guys! I'd never been before, how am I to know, haha.

• 28th Jul 2014

Great stay! Hotel was wonderful, but the location is a bit far from Manhattan.

• 28th Jul 2014

two person room too expensive!

• 28th Jul 2014

Thank you for your review- we appreciate your input and will take you suggestions to better improve our hostel. Hope to see you soon!

Just coming from the HI in Boston maybe I was a bit spoilt regarding hostel quality, but still I was expecting a bit more from the highest ranked hostel in NY. Rooms were ok but for example there were no plugs anywhere near my bunk bed or any place to lay stuff (like my phone) aside during the night. There weren't a lot of bathrooms around and all of them were lacking means to put down stuff/clothes, even just a hook would've been nice.

Great hostel. The best thing about it was the courtyard, where it was easy to meet new people. Actually the place with the best hostel culture I've ever been too. Subway connection to Manhattan and JFK airport is good. Showers could have been cleaner.

Everything was fine, except not having any shelves to put my stuff on or hooks for hanging my clothes and my towel in the bathroom. It would be nice not having to put yout fresh clothes on the dirty and wet floor in the bathroom.

• 27th Jul 2014