The New York Loft Hostel Reviews

249 Varet St., Brooklyn, NY, New York, USA

I visit New York about four times a year, and this is my preferred lodging--when the price is right. Excellent facilities and extremely spacious for NYC. Hostel is a converted warehouse in an industrial district (or "Bohemian" if you prefer). Gritty looking neighborhood but seems safe. Nothing to see in the vicinity of the hostel, but the subway is nearby. Good wifi. Only problem is the price, which ranges from $30-60 for a dorm bed depending on date. When it is $30, snap it up!

Thank you for your honest and helpful review! We hope to see you soon!

There was no heating for 2/3 nights and only a blanket was provided. Had to sleep in my full clothes and winter jacket and was still freezing reception were very reluctant to help with this matter. Breakfast good location good Only heating situation let the place down!!!

• Scotland

To be brief : did not the rooms we had booked, bedrooms very cold (would say 13-15°C) and NOT ENOUGH BLANKETS FOR EVERYONE so obliged to sleep with coats and hats. One man from the reception was useless, did not really try to find solutions for us when we had problems of blankets and preferred repeating that he didn't have blankets anymore, he couldn't do anything for us. Pretty bad when you know that empty rooms have blankets, but he didn't know which rooms are free...

• 15th Feb 2015

Hello, Thank you for your honest review. We apologize for any discomfort that you may have experienced. We have since fixed our heating system and acquired many blankets/heaters for our guests. We hope that you visit us in the summertime where we have free BBQ's! Happy travels.

No wifi in the room and almost no heating during the deep freeze. Encouraging me to "sit in the hall by the elevator" to do work online and that I should just "get an extra blanket" (which was more like a towel) to deal with a severely under-performing heater is simply unacceptable - even for a hostel. One of the front desk folks (platinum hair and nose ring) made the stay especially unpleasant. I can take a good deal of Bushwick smug (that's why I love it after all), but seriously: do your job.

• 15th Feb 2015

Hello, We appreciate you taking the time out to review our hostel. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have had. Our main priority is excellent customer service and we are working on improving our amenities during this frigid season. We hope to see you back in the warmer months!

The heat wasnt working

• 14th Feb 2015
  • Mexico

Thank for your review- we have since fixed our heating system. We hope to see you in the summertime to enjoy our free BBQ's!

We were without heating for 3 nights and it was bone chillingly cold.

• 13th Feb 2015

Thank you for reviewing us. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have had. We have since fixed our heating system and increased the number of blankets and heaters provided. We hope to see you back in the summer time!

Nice hostel, generally pleasant stay. Worst part of stay was the bathrooms. They are single use only, which is great, but they were not especially clean, almost always out of paper towels, and were generally unwelcoming. Also, many of the other guests during my stay were heavy party-ers, and were very loud and obnoxious at night. However, the staff and security dealt with them very well, and kicked at least one person out, so I commend them for actively keeping everyone under control.

• 12th Feb 2015

Hello, Thank you for your honest and helpful review. We hope to see you back very soon! Happy travels!

After I paid, I was notified that I had to change in the middle of my stay to another room. That was NOT specified anywhere in their site or in my confirmation email. I told them that I was sick and I didn't feel like packing and unpacking many times, what it's worse, I had to ckeck out at 11 a.m. and then wait until 3 p.m. to check in "again", really annoying. They didn't care about my health condition. Receptionists were unfriendly. Poor facilities, super cold rooms and bad location.

Thank you for reviewing our hostel. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We do not guarntee a dorm style room for all consecutive nights unless a private room is reserved. We had a large group stay with us and this is why the changing of the rooms occurred. We do hope you visit us in the summer time- we offer free BBQ dinners!

02/01 ~ 02/08. lived in loft hostel. I'm a foreign tourist, from south korea. first time tour at New York. not bad. good price and hostel services next time, if i going to new york, reservation again. maybe. I can't english very well. sorry!

Thank you for your review! We hope to see you soon!

I would say my biggest complaint is how dirty some of the floors were.

• 1st Feb 2015

We appreciate your honest review. We will take your suggestions to help better our services. Please visit us again soon! Happy travels!

Easy to get to Manhattan, good area-plenty of bars and restaurants near by. Some staff weren't very welcoming/ friendly but overall good hostel.

• 25th Jan 2015

We appreciate you taking the time out to review us! We hope to see you back very soon!

I Love New York Loft Hostel!

Had a great time! Thanks to everybody there!!!

• 21st Jan 2015
  • Argentina

Thank you for staying with us!!

Really cool rooms, some hipster bars and cafés surrounding. Free breakfast is super handy (white toast, jam, peanut butter, cereals, milk, cereal, OJ, coffee available 24hrs, apples). Would recommend.

• 21st Jan 2015

Thanks so much for the kind review. Please visit us again :)

Great location. Staff were friendly. Was warm and comfortable and bathrooms were big. Best hostel I have found so far in NYC and will certainly stay here again.

Thank you for the kind and honest review! We look forward to seeing you again!

Great Hostel, I will back! Like at home.

• 20th Jan 2015
  • Spain

Thank you for your review! Please hurry back! :)

Good facilities but terrible location (definitely not as good as advertised). One day there was no breakfast. Would not recommend.

We appreciate your review. Our breakfast started a bit later that day but it was never cancelled. We hope to see you in the warmer months.

Overall, great hostel! Convenient to Manhattan, lots of activities and the free breakfast was awesome. Very clean, comfy rooms and it wasn't too loud at night. However, the thin curtains did let in a fair amount of morning light.

• 18th Jan 2015
  • lduncan8582247

Thank you for your honest and helpful review! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay! Please visit us again :)

Good facilities, terrible location. Almost empty in January. One day there was no breakfast. Would not recommend.

From my previous stay here 2 years ago to now, someone's really reduced quality while upping prices. Some staff are great; others have a poor attitude. The breakfast is really average; the in-room lockers are old, loud and rickety; the rooms themselves have been divided to be smaller (and more expensive); and the noise from the club they now have downstairs permeates every level. And the wifi is catastrophically laughable. I loved staying in the area, and used to rave about NYLH. But no longer.

We appreciate your honest review. We have since updated our wifi service to work much faster. We also offer our guests free ear plugs if the room they have is a bit noisy. We hope to see you very soon.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7