The New York Loft Hostel Reviews

249 Varet St., Brooklyn, NY, New York, USA

I enjoyed my experience at The Loft - best breakfast of any hotel I've come across yet and great chill out/kitchen lounge area with outdoor hammock. Staff were helpful and accommodating, subway was very close and room was spacious and comfortable. Cool vibe and good bar with good entertainment.

Thanks so much for the positive feedback! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay! Hurry back soon :)

New York Loft Hostel was conveniently located next to loads of tasty food and coffee, the subway station, and what some would describe as hipster mecca. Seriously, I did not feel cool enough to be in this neighborhood-- it came with a kind of industrial trendiness that I wasn't prepared for. The hostel itself had lots of places to relax other than your room; the back garden itself was my favorite. The bar downstairs was reasonably priced for the area and stocked with friendly people.

• 7th Oct 2015

Thanks so much for the review. We think you're very cool! :) Come back soon!

We stayed for a week in a spacious twin room with private bathroom and really enjoyed our stay. The staff was friendly and offered great advice in questions of local activities. The free breakfast was a pertty good starter for the day as was the free BBQ night a nice happening. The common rooms were quite inviting. I'd always come back.

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Hurry back soon :)

I was a little disappointed with this hostel overall, for $90 a night I expected a little more. My dorm was quite small (smaller than the ones shown in the pictures). However the staff were polite and helpful, the common area was spacious and comfortable, and the basement bar was good fun (and had an event on when I stayed).

First of all, they asked us to change rooms on our last night because they double booked our room by accident. When we arrived in our first room, the sheets had not been changed, the garbage was full and there were dirty coffee mugs laying around im the room. The fire alarm went off twice during our stay and lasted over 30 minutes each time. Our second room had blood stains on the floor. Both rooms were very cold and there were no heaters. The hostel was pretty noisy.

• 1st Oct 2015

We appreciate you taking the time out to review our hostel! We wanted to keep you and your party together, that is why we asked if you could change rooms :) We will take your suggestions to help better our services. We hope you enjoyed your concert and you will be back soon to visit :)

Good location and responsive, astute staff. The Basement Bar was a big problem. Note in room said music ends at 11pm on weekdays and midnight on Saturday. It ends at 3am or 4am, even if you complain. Anyone staying on the 1st floor will not be able to sleep. All of my roommates complained and no one liked it. I had to switch rooms. Which is just as well as the mattress in room 107 smelled like urine.

• 1st Oct 2015

We appreciate you taking the time to review us! We are sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the room you were in. Our upper story rooms are more quiet and can be requested upon check-in if they are available. We hope to see you back soon!

Wifi was very poor, really frustrating. The leak in the room was annoying too think it made the room colder plus a chunk of the painting from the ceiling fell down on the floor. Staff was ok, almost couldn't be bothered, for instance the cleanup was just to plonk a towel on the floor but leave the paint there. Rooms spacious. Bathroom nice think it needs an extra hook to hang your stuff on otherwise there's nothing to put or hang your clothes/towel. Otherwise easy stay in hostel.

We appreciate you taking the time out to review our hostel. We will take you suggestions to help better our services. Hope to see you back soon!

Good value for New York, although if you plan on seeing the sights in Manhattan all day, you won't have time to pop back, so take everything with you! Easy to access from the metro but the metro isn't the fastest mode of transport.

Thanks for your helpful review- We hope to see you back soon so you can explore more of Brooklyn :)

Really clean and safe which are my top priorities in a hostel

The first level room was too loud. The automatic shower light would turn out, and we heard drilling noises and the dinger for the luggage security. Breakfast, common room, bar--all very nice. In shared rooms, kind of weird to have people check in so late. Came back on third night after being in city and toothbrushes, toothpaste gone. A couple times felt communications with front desk were terse; other times very good. I'd only recommend to someone traveling solo and younger.

• 24th Sep 2015
  • Couple, 41+

We appreciate you taking the time out to review us! We hope to see you back very soon! Happy travels!

Beautiful hostel, great installations and excelent people. It is located near the L subway. The breakfast was a little poor .

Thanks for the positive review. We have since added some healthier options to breakfast such as more fruit and yogurt :)

Great stay, especially the fruit at breakfast. The WiFi NEVER worked though. Everyone complained about it.

Thanks for your helpful review! We have since updated our internet provider! We hope to see you back soon!

I stayed at this hostel for close to a week in September/October and loved it. The common areas on the ground floor are great for meeting people and fun to hang out in, there's free breakfast in the mornings which is always welcome, my room and the bathrooms on my floor were clean and pretty well maintained, the Brooklyn location is wonderful with plenty of cafes and a grocery store around the corner, and the staff are great and super easy to deal with. I would definitely recommend this hostel!

Two girls with dark hair (one with curly hair) at reception during our stay were pretty unfriendly and impatient with us. We had to endure and face the two girls' cold smile and porker face when we asked for their help. We chose to stay at the New York Loft Hostel because of its fabulous reviews from the customers but kind of shocked when experiencing such rude attitude at the front desk. We are wondering how come such staff who lack passion can be hired.

• 20th Sep 2015
  • Taiwan

Thank you for reviewing us- we are sorry to hear that you experienced unsatisfactory customer service. We pride our selves in hiring and training staff who work hard and love helping our guests. We hope you can visit us again so we can show you how much our guests matter to us! Happy travels!

I loved the interiors, the breakfast and the common spacies;the garden and the deck - great areas to chill. I have some doubts about the cleanliness of the common bathrooms - those accesible for everyone, not the one in the room - that one was perfect. It would be great if you provided locks to the lockers, or just inform in advance that we need to bring our own. Basically a very good and likely to recommend to friends experience. Wouldn't mind some encouragment to revisit, like -15% off price.

Thanks for the helpful review! We do offer seasonal discounts for returning guests! Keep an eye out for an email from us :)

worst wifi connection ever

• 15th Sep 2015
  • Turkey

Thank you for contacting us- we have since upgraded our internet provider! We hope to see you back soon!

This hostel is a bit of a party spot. It has live music throughout the week and cheap alcahol. However it is quite large so it's not as easy to meet people. The wifi was terrible. And in the upper bunk there was no where to charge my phone. In order to charge I'd have to leave my phone on someones bed below me, which I didn't do.

We appreciate your helpful review. Our main goal is great customer service. We hope you can visit us again soon!

Had one of the best weeks of my life at the NYLH. Staff were so accommodating, breakfast had a wide variety, rooms were adequate for saying you hardly spend anytime in there. Kitchen and living room were great and had a cute little garden. It's located round the corner from the metro station which takes you straight into Manhattan in under 15 minutes. Definitely will be returning if I'm ever back in New York. Thanks so much!

• 13th Sep 2015

Yay! So glad to hear you had the best time ever! Hurry back and visit us again :)

This was a really great hostel. I was in a 4 bed mixed dorm and everyone was super friendly and a big group of us ended up going out together. Air con and wifi is great, my room had an ensuite too which was really clean. The bar downstairs is a good place to start off your night by meeting others at the hostel. A bit expensive but NYC is one of the most expensive cities in America so it was expected. Great location - lots of good food places around. Would definetely come back

The girl at reception when we checked out was pretty rude. Those on the bar were lovely, though.

• 11th Sep 2015

Hi, we are very sorry you had to experience a staff member being rude. We train our staff to always be friendly and awesome! we will address this review to the staff and make sure this will never occur again!