The New York Loft Hostel Reviews

249 Varet St., Brooklyn, NY, New York, USA

If you expect to have a good night sleep this is not the place. There is too much noise in the building from other guests and from the staff of the hostel.

Thank you for your honest review! We do provide free ear plugs for our guests and try to keep the noise level to a minimum. We hope to see you back very soon! Cheers!

My first experience staying in a hostel! The staff were very friendly and the room was great!

• 19th Dec 2014

Hey Thanks for the kind review! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay! Please visit us again soon! Cheers!

The facilities were really great and the kitchen was amazing!! Really loved how much stuff you had available for your guests. I would say the bathrooms could do with a bit more cleaning, it always felt like the 4th floor ones were dirty. And I don't know if it was just the distance of being on the 4th floor or the actual internet, but your WiFi is not the best and could do with some improvements. Great atmosphere. Overall though, would definitely visit again!!

• 18th Dec 2014

We appreciate your honest and helpful review. Please visit us again soon :) Cheers!

This hostel was clean and functional. It was not huge but was large, and therefore didn't feel particularly cosy. There isn't really anything to do within walking distance, though the metro is close by with easy access to Manhattan. The bar downstairs played music that was not to my taste (techno) but it was nice chatting to people over breakfast. There didn't seem to be any activities organised or place for other ideas. It did the basics very well and the doors had pictures of cool new york

Thank you for your honest review. We will take your suggestions to help better our Hostel services. We hope to see you back very soon to see these actions take place. Happy travels!

I had never stayed at a hostel before so I was definitely a little "iffy" about staying at one and this one was awesome! The staff was really helpful with everything, the security guard that works there at night was super cool and the bathrooms were always extremely clean. The bar downstairs also had a good crowd and good drink specials. Would stay here again.

• 18th Dec 2014

Hey! Thanks so much for your honest and helpful review! Please visit us again in NYC! Safe travels!

A couple complaints: 1. The breakfast -- I know it's free, but it's just really sugary and not nutritious at all. At the very least, add wheat bread as an option. 2. I came in just during the shift change and was told it would be 5-10 mins before I checked in. No problem! But instead I and one other person were waiting for at least 20 minutes while we could hear the staff chatting and giggling behind the desk. Everything else was great! I'll probably stay again next time I'm in the city.

Thank you for your helpful and honest review. Our breakfast option does include wheat bread as well as fruit and oats. We apologize for any other inconvenience you may have experienced and hope to see you back very soon! Cheers!

The breakfast was a joke. Store bought bread with the most generic jelly, peanut butter, and "butter," along with stale cereal. Just don't offer breakfast, if this is the best you can do. Not a good location. Felt very unsafe on walk from subway to hostel at 8 PM. Staff was unprofessional and not helpful. No tour or explanation of facilities. I had to explore to find everything. They wanted me to wait to check out for 10 minutes to change shifts. I am dropping off a card key.

Hello, We appreciate your honesty and apologize for inconvenience you may have experienced. We hope to see you back very soon! Happy travels.

Very confortable hostel with a good location. When I first arrived the neighbourhood seemed a little sketchy, but it is actualy a safe place. I walked around with no concerns. The atmosphere was only average during my stay, but I guess that depends more on the guests than on the hostel. Overall I would definetely reccomend and I will surely stay there the next time I'm in NYC.

Thank you for your honest and kind review. We hope to see you soon on your travels! Cheers!

The location is pretty good! It's less than 3 minutes from the subway station which makes everything a lot easier for travelers. The bathrooms are clean but could be cleaner, especially at 10 AM when a lot of people make use of them. The rooms were pretty spacious with lockers (you have to bring your lock) and things to hang your clothes. The only problem with the rooms that they were pretty hot, but you can actually solve this problem by opening one of the windows.

• 15th Dec 2014

Hello, Thanks for your kind and honest review! We hope to see you back very soon! Cheers!

maybe the breakfast can be improved (with some fruit juices for example) and toilet brushes could be added in bathrooms but besides that I had no issue at all, and I had a good stay.

• 12th Dec 2014

Thanks for the review and suggestions! We hope to see you back very soon!

I highly recommend staying here. The place is clean, cozy, and is next to many great places to eat, coffee, and even a nice "whole foods" type convenience store. The metro is about a block away and brings you right into a main hub in Manhattan. You can't beat the bang for your buck.

• 11th Dec 2014

Thanks so much your kind review. We hope to see you back very soon :) Happy travels!

NYC has a reputation for hostels that are overpriced and not necessarily in the top league. The NY Loft Hostel bucks that trend. Brooklyn is a fascinating borough and staying there gives the opportunity to explore a different style of neighbourhood from Manhattan, but to be only a short ride away from it. The area might look a bit rundown at first but persevere and you'll really enjoy it. The hostel is good value, well-run and attracts a diverse crowd. A great find.

Thanks for your helpful and honest review! It was a pleasure having you stay with us! We hope your future journeys bring you back to visit us again. Happy travels!

Really good value for money! Facilities are great and the staff (particularly Ali) were great! A bit out of the way but easily accessible by metro!

Very cool hostel and fun place to stay. Can be expensive but best price you will get in NYC

Thank you for your honest and helpful review! Hope to see you back in NYC soon!

Friendly staff. It was really dirty underneath my bed.

Hey Thanks for the review! We are happy to have our cleaning staff take care of any unnoticed areas if requested! Please visit us again :)

Overall I really liked the Hostel. The atmosphere was below average, but I guess that just comes down to who's staying there at the time. Would be nice if the Hostel arranged some day tours or something around the city, it'd be a great way to meet people and get the atmosphere going a bit more. It's really clean, the neighbourhood is safe & close to the L train. The staff aren't very talkative, but they are helpful if you ask them something.

Hello, Thanks for your insightful and honest review. We will take your suggestions to help better our services! We hope to see you back very soon! Cheers!

Not much atmosphere. Hard to meet people.

Thank you for you review- we hope to see you back very soon!

Great place. I'd stay again but super noisy. Bring ear plugs

• 5th Dec 2014
  • New Zealand

Hey! Thanks for your honest review! Good things we have free ear plugs :) Cheers!

The Staff were extremely helpful and kind. Would love to stay here again and would recommend to anyone! One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in! Very clean and convenient. Private bath and showers were a plus! My only advice is to try and grab a room that isn't directly over the basement bar. Free breakfast in the morning was also appreciated!

• 5th Dec 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words- we love nothing more than a happy guest :) Please visit us soon! Happy travels!

I was a little scary, it was my first time in a Hostel, but I am really surprised. I meet very nice people, and it was a great experience. I want to repeat.

• 4th Dec 2014
  • Spain

Thank you for your review- We are so glad you had a great experience at our hostel! Please visit soon! :)