The New York Loft Hostel Reviews

249 Varet St., Brooklyn, NY, New York, New York, USA

Very nice place to stay apart from the unfriendly staff and the fact that you have to pay an extra fee for everything! I´d rather pay one more Dollar each night and be able to use the computers, storage room and borrow towels for free.

Hello Guest, We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the hostel. Regarding the unfriendly staff, please write us a personal email explaining the situation you experienced so that we can address this immediately. We take our customer service and satisfaction very seriously and we look forward to having you again.

Great staff, great facilities. Location is good, couple bars/groceries around, very close to the metro station.

My room was really cold during 6/7 nights in the hostel (despite two complaints). Also quite noisy and not too comfortable beds. Service pretty bad. Nice that it's close to the L train! However, there were so many delays with the L train I think the cons outweigh the pros for this place... Would not recommend it

Hello Guest, We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay while at the Hostel, but we would like to thank you for writing a review and bringing things to our attention. We will use this review to better our customer service and amenities.Unfortunately, we cannot control when the MTA schedules construction on the trains, but as New Yorkers we understand how frustrating that can be. We hope that you had a chance to enjoy our beautiful city during your stay and we hope to have you return.

BBQ was amazing. Very cool building. Some of the other guests were very noisy (playing guitars at 2am, 4am and 6.30am) in the next room. This went on over several days and nothing was done. Shame!

• 16th Nov 2013

Usually I am nervous about staying in hostels but this one surprised me with the cleanliness& friendliness of the staff. I didn't feel like I was staying in a hostel, it was more like I was staying in a small boutique hotel. The interior design is very unique and I loved it! The neighborhood was artsy and industrial with many art studios and cool vintage shops. I would definitely recommend this hostel if you are looking to stay somewhere that's cheaper than a hotel but better than a plain hostel

• 14th Nov 2013

Hello, Thank you for your leaving us your review! It was our pleasure to have provided you a great and comfortable stay during your time in New York. We look forward to having you stay with us again!

The heater was faulty in my room. It was sooooo cold everywhere in my room and in the kitchen/ communal room. I should have claim compensation for that issue. In the middle of november you need a well-working heater in New York!!!!

• 10th Nov 2013

The Hostel was pretty nice when I first started using it a few years ago. It is starting to get pretty run down and shabby. Electric lights were ripped out of bedroom walls, other lights were dangling unplugged from walls.

• 9th Nov 2013

NO HEATING in November. And NO blankets available. The only comment received by the staff has been "yeah, it's pretty chilly, but I can't do anything". From one of the top 10 hostels in NY I expected much more. Moreover, the shower hadn't been cleaned for centuries. Do a favor to yourself, go somewhere else.

• 8th Nov 2013
  • Sweden

Thank you for leaving us a review about your stay. We appreciate hearing from our guests, as your comments are vital in improving our accommodations. It is with great concern that I address the incident you experienced during your stay. This issue is unusual and not the standard of the Hostel. We would like to apologize and assure you that the heater has been fixed and a surplus of blankets purchased to ensure our guests never have to endure this again. We sincerely express our deepest apology.

The staff was always very helpful. Especially, I did appreciate when they change the room for me after I was placed in a room where someone was snoring. Very clean environment. Close to subway.

• 7th Nov 2013
  • Slovakia

Great time at the loft, area is unique and hip, seems grimey, run down and dodgy but is harmless, full of funky cool characters. Kitchen and tv room great place to socialise, made lots of friends, few BBQ on Friday, 5 stops away is Bedford Avenue a cool less intimidating party area compared to Manhattan, which is a further 3 stops away. Location might therefore seem far out but you get best of both worlds and some peace. Rooms are big and clean, only a bit cold in winter, otherwise awesome place

Very nice atmosphere for guess to meet each other. However, the cleanliness could be better. Also, some of the staff were not helpful and cold. But most of the staff were very nice.

Great things: good staff, the garden/kitchen. A few things I noticed: the beds are uncomfortable and the rooms are stuffy. Bathrooms can do with better cleaning and ventilation: they wreak of fungus + chlorine. Although the hostel is near to the L-line, if you do intend on spending lots of time in Manhattan, be mindful that it takes 25 minutes to get to 7th Ave stop on the L-line. So there is a fair amount of time spent on commuting, especially if you have to transfer to a different subway line.

• 1st Nov 2013
  • Trinidad And Tobago

Dorm room, bathrooms and kitchen area were very clean! Staff (receptionists, cleaning, maintenance) were kind and courteous! Also appreciate the free breakfast.

• 31st Oct 2013

Great hostel, good atmosphere, definitely recommend

I loved it. Loved the decor. Loved that we (3 or less) had our bathroom. Loved that there were more bathrooms only a few steps away when someone else was in the bathroom. Loved the waffles. Great.

• 28th Oct 2013

Very cool Location but the Price for the single room with ensuite bad is too high for what you get! Tiny bathroom, tiny room.

• 28th Oct 2013

We stayed on the fourth floor and there was this intense smell of chlorine, perhaps to cover up some other smell of fungus. So the air didn't feel good for an allergic and asthmatic as myself. Also, the door to our room 417 didn't feel like it closed completely. It did close, but it felt as if it could be opened with a harder push, this could be easily fixed.

The location is ok not too special, they double booked my bed the first night. I came from a party at 9 in the morning and somebody was in my bed this guest put all my stuff on the flour, they fixed me another bed wich I had to get off before 3, I asked If they could give me a complementary night for the inconvinient Terry told me that i did have a bed and they dont give complementary night. I saw the lady changing the linens from other beds and left the durty bed sheet in it for next guest.

Great place to stay. Nice staff, ok breakfast, clean rooms. The only bad thing was that the heather in our room didn't work. And there were no more blankets or covers, so our stay was nice, but freezing.

• 25th Oct 2013
  • Sweden

I have been in a few hostels in NY and this has been the best I've been by far. It is really clean and spacious. I stayed in a dorm for 2 and in a dorm for 3. Both rooms were very spacious but specially the dorm for 3. One bad thing, the coffee for breakfast is disgusting.