The New York Loft Hostel Reviews

249 Varet St., Brooklyn, NY, New York, USA

Perfect place. Fun. Big. Cool neighborhood. Fast to go to Manhattan. Etc..

very fine

• 28th Sep 2014

Hey - Thank you for taking the time out to review our Hostel! We hope to see you soon! Happy travels :)

Overall poor value for money very small room with 2 superposed beds : the one on the top had to pay attention not to hit the ceiling when sitting the sink was very small as well in the ensuite bathroom

• 24th Sep 2014

Great hostel! In a safe area and only one stop to Manhattan. Four or five to Times Square but doesn't take long at all! Hostel is clean and the facilities are great. Definitely recommend staying here!

• 23rd Sep 2014
  • Scotland

I liked the friendly, helpful desk staff. I'm a frugal business traveler in Manhattan for an interview and professional meeting. NY Loft Hostel fit my needs and my budget although I woke up early because of a dorm roommate's early schedule.

Hey, Thanks so much for the kind words! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to see you back very soon :)

The staff looked after me when I was sick and frightened, they were magnificent! I highly recommend this place to anyone and everyone.

• 22nd Sep 2014

Hostel is ok. Nothing special. But it pretends to be. Totally overpriced. Price for PC use is an imposition. Connection to Manhattan is very good. Free BBQ is the best thing about the hostel. The neighbourhood is hip but very very expensive. If thrift-shopping is your passion and you are willing to pay $1,80 for a peach at the local deli and have a laptop with you, this hostel might be ok for you. Otherwise look for something else

• 21st Sep 2014

Hello, Thank you for taking the time out to review Hostel. We appreciate your input and will take your suggestions to help better our services. We agree, New York City can be very expensive but we hope our room fares highlight all of the great amenities we offer. We hope to see you back soon.

Very large clean room but not enough locker space

• 21st Sep 2014

Hello, Thanks for the kind review :) We appreciate your suggestion! We also have a large storage room that guests can utilize during their stay to store luggage. It is also equipped with surveillance cameras. We hope to see you back soon!

Nice area where you can find some bars and grosseries store and 5min walk to the subway. The commun area and the barbecue are great to meet people and socialize (good for people travelling alone). The facilities include all that you need (bring your towel otherwise you will have to pay 2 dolars). Bathrooms are good too and so as the kitchen. The bed is confortable and is a little expensive for a hostel, but considering the options, i would say this is the best one! Definitely would come back!

Amazing kitchen and outdoor common-space. Staff were average. Building is loud and echoes everything. Bed's are hard and uncomfortable. Cafe a few doors down is phenomenal.

Hello Sarah, Thanks for reviewing us- we will take your suggestions to help better our services. Hope to see you back very soon :) Safe travels!

Only complaint I have is that i booked a girls dorm bed and then without informing me the hostel converted the room to a mixed-gender dorm room. When I complained to management, they were unapologetic.

Hello, We appreciate you taking the time out to review our hostel. Our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Due to our hectic season the room type may have been overlooked- we assure you that this will never happen again and we hope to see you back soon so you can witness this first hand. Happy travels :)

We liked your hostel and the homey feeling. Our only complaint was the choice of food for breakfast. We would have liked to see at least one cereal container with granola or raison bran instead of 2 sugary Fruit loops. Also one whole wheat bread would have been nice. Didn't get to try out the bar-b-que. The staff were very friendly and kind. Emily

Hey, Thank you for taking the time out to review our hostel. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. We will take into account your suggestion for a larger cereal variety. We do offer whole wheat bread as a second choice for guests. We hope to see you back very soon :)

15 mins subway to Manhattan. Area looks dangerous at night. Booked very early for 2 person in a 3 bed room but still was split into 2 rooms. Bathrooms were not clean and looked slimy. Only good thing was barbeque night.

• 17th Sep 2014
  • Malaysia

Hello, Thank you for reviewing us- Our dormitory style bedrooms do not guarantee you will be placed in the same room upon arrival. Only private rooms guarantee the same room- we apologize for any confusion. Our cleaning staff is also on call everyday. We are glad you enjoyed our weekly free BBQ! Please visit us again :)

The hostel is really clean and spacious. It has a great communal area and location. The staff are friendly but the atmosphere is lacking. I am not sure whether it is due to the bar down stairs and not being able to bring your own alcohol in people don't tend to hang around the hostel after lunch.

Hey, Thank you for taking the time out to tell us about your stay at our Hostel. Due to our bar being open everyday the liquor authority does not allow outside alcohol to be brought on to the premises. That being said we schedule a Happy Hour everyday in our garden from 5:30pm-10pm and then our bar opens up from 10pm-until late. We also have weekly scheduled live band performances that go on in our bar as well as a free BBQ. We hope to see you back soon so you can enjoy these amenities.

I was in the hostel for two weeks and got to meet a lot of great people. Only drawback were a few "older" travellers in there twilight years who appeared to pop up every now and then and were a bit out of place, there was one particular guy who kind of creeped me out a bit over my last three day,so only suggestion on that is maybe have an age limit at 40-45!? Staff were good but could have organised a few things like pub crawls or sight seeing groups rather than focusing on there own bar.

• 16th Sep 2014

The hostel have really good location, stays in a new area in Brooklin, full of young people, streat art and nices places like coffee shops, and restaurantes. The access to subway station is easy, you'll use Morgan Av., an L line station. The place have good facilities, wifi throughout the whole building, great outside area, big kitchen. I've stayed in a 3 bed female bedroom at 4th floor: big room, bathroom inside,good light during the day.

• 15th Sep 2014

IT WAS MY FIRST STAY IN NEW YORK. I WAS TRAVELLING ALONE AND I WAS LOOKING A GOOD PLACE WHERE MEET PEOLE, WHICH WAS ALSO SAFE AND CLEAN. CAN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT THESE 3 THINGS! GOOD EXPERIENCE. I WOULD RECOMMEND. METRO STATION IS 3 MINUTES WALKING, YOU CAN REACH MANHATTAN IN 20 MINUTES. EAST WILLANSUBRG IS NOT THE BEST, NOTHING TO DO AROUND..YOU NEED TO GO TO MANHATTAN.

Hey! Thanks for taking the time out to review us! We wish you safe travels and hope to see you back in New York very soon :)

very welcoming, could mention that a 5 minute walk gets you to the station with the M line, straight to times square, and no need for working out changing trains.

• Wales

Hello - Thank you for the kind review! We will take your suggestion to help better our services :) We hope to see you back very soon!

One of the best hostel I've been! Incredible location, close from bars and restaurants around, very clean and good atmosphere. The patio was my favorite place! Also the bar downstairs is very good too (cheers to Roxannem the bartender) ;)

• Switzerland

Hey David, Thanks for the great review! We are beyond thrilled you enjoyed your time with us! We hope to see you back very soon! Cheers!

Really nice hostel in a cool location, didn't check out all the facilities as it was a rushed stay but the communal breakfast / lounging area was great!

• 14th Sep 2014