The New York Loft Hostel Reviews

249 Varet St., Brooklyn, NY, New York, USA

Rob, at front desk, the was especially kind to me when I checked in after a long exhausting day. I really appreciated his patience with me.

• 31st Jul 2014

Thanks for your review! Our staff takes great pleasure in making sure our guests are welcomed and settled in properly. We hope to see you back soon!

What a great place to stay. Pros: clean rooms and bathrooms, great patio space on floors 1&3, great tv area, free meals on occasion and always free breakfast, laundry room (not advertised yet), fast (enough) wifi, and some very friendly staff. Cons: Not all the staff is so friendly. The girl working the front desk one of the days I was there was working really hard at not caring about anyone or anything around her. Being so sullen is a tough thing to manage, but her skills were advanced.

Thank you for your review- we appreciate your input and will take your suggestions to better improve our hostel. Hope to see you soon! Message from sullen girl: Apologies Mr. Capone, It was one of those days- I swear I'm actually quite cheery :)

It is a great looking place and I really loved the facilities etc. But my room was really small for 3 persons and my roommates were really messy. The bathrooms are not enough when the hostel is full, I had hard time to find a free one in the morning. They have to update the images of the rooms on their web page to give a true picture of the room sizes.

Only downside was that the showers took 5 minutes to get hot, and then sometimes the hot water would only last for 2 minutes; even though there's a sign on the wall saying be thoughtful of others and take 5 minutes to have a shower. Other than that can't complain.

• 28th Jul 2014

Thank you for your review. We have since fixed the problem and are working constantly to make sure it will never happen again. We apologize immensely for any inconvenience this may have caused. We hope to see you soon.

I didn't get to use all of the facilities during my stay but I really enjoyed my time. The place was probably the cleanest/most modern hostel that I've stayed at, I was incredibly appreciative. The one thing I will say is that staff weren't particularly explanatory during checkin, and whenever I would ask things like, 'where's the common area?' or.... 'which direction is my room?' i would get looked at like a fool. Which I was! Guys! I'd never been before, how am I to know, haha.

• 28th Jul 2014

Hello, Thank you for your review. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. Our number one goal is customer satisfaction and we are constantly improving our staff demeanor. We hope to see you soon.

Great stay! Hotel was wonderful, but the location is a bit far from Manhattan.

• 28th Jul 2014

Hi - Thanks so much for your review. We look forward to seeing you again! Safe travels! :)

two person room too expensive!

• 28th Jul 2014

Thank you for your review- we appreciate your input and will take you suggestions to better improve our hostel. Hope to see you soon!

This place is only a few blocks away from a subway station, so it was a super convenient location. The staff was always friendly and helpful, and the rooms were comfortable. I would definitely stay here again!

• 27th Jul 2014

Hi , Thank you for reviewing our Hostel. We hope to see you back soon and enjoy some new additions to the hostel like our brand new bar Hail Hail!

Just coming from the HI in Boston maybe I was a bit spoilt regarding hostel quality, but still I was expecting a bit more from the highest ranked hostel in NY. Rooms were ok but for example there were no plugs anywhere near my bunk bed or any place to lay stuff (like my phone) aside during the night. There weren't a lot of bathrooms around and all of them were lacking means to put down stuff/clothes, even just a hook would've been nice.

Hello, Thanks for reviewing us! We have placed hooks in all the bathrooms and apologize for any inconvenience caused. We are constantly working to better our services for our guests and we hope to have you back to see these changes in effect!

Great hostel. The best thing about it was the courtyard, where it was easy to meet new people. Actually the place with the best hostel culture I've ever been too. Subway connection to Manhattan and JFK airport is good. Showers could have been cleaner.

Hello - We appreciate your review and are so happy you enjoyed your stay. We are constantly working to better our services as customer satisfaction is our number one goal. We hope to see you back soon.

Everything was fine, except not having any shelves to put my stuff on or hooks for hanging my clothes and my towel in the bathroom. It would be nice not having to put yout fresh clothes on the dirty and wet floor in the bathroom.

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time out to review our Hostel. We have since placed hooks in all of our showers. We hope to see you back soon!

Great people, great place! :)

• 27th Jul 2014

Thank you for your review- we appreciate your input and are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you soon!

A very nice place to visit New York and Brooklyn, very friendly, good staff, very nice dormitory (large, 3 beds, ...) I recommend you !

• 26th Jul 2014

Hey! Thanks for your kind review. We hope you come back and visit us again!

Great hostel atmosphere, and location is great since it is right next to the subway station.

• 25th Jul 2014

Thanks for the kind review! We hope to see you back soon!

I loe love love this place!!! It has a very Euro-travel feel to it:) ITs sooooo artsy too! I loved it! and will always be going there whenever I'm in NYC: ) Its the best! its like a cool fun home away from home:)

• 23rd Jul 2014

Great overall hostel. Pros: Wednesday & Friday communal BBQs are a great way to get to know other people. Great value for money, given it includes breakfast. Air-conditioning :) Free wifi Very helpful staff 2 blocks from a subway station Blankets provided (but not towels) Cons: Only some of the showers have hot water (only found one of the four showers on 2nd floor with it) One of the lockable cupboards in our room had a broken lock, so someone in our dorm couldn't secure their items

• 23rd Jul 2014

Thank you for your review- we appreciate your input and will take your suggestions to better our hostel. Hope to see you soon!

It's a very large hostel and the staff were efficient but do not actively offer advice on the local area or the facilities in the hostel. Avoid a room near the garden; it remained noisy all night...until 7.00am!

Thank you for taking the time out to review our hostel. Our main priority is customer care and we will take your input to help better our services. We hope to see you back soon.

Security of bags in the storage room was nonexistent. If they aren't going to secure they bags, the service should be free. Otherwise, it's a ripoff. The room was very spacious. The breakfast was limited options.

• 19th Jul 2014

Thank you for your review- we appreciate your input and will take your suggestions to better our services. Our storage room is equipped with surveillance cameras to provide a safe room for everyone's belongings. Hope to see you soon!

The hostel offers great things for the price. Big rooms, inluded breakfast (not common in other hostels in NYC), nice common area and clean. The location is not that good, though, since the neighborhood seams bit dangerous and it rather takes a while to the Manhattan, Queens or Bronx.

Thank you for your review- we appreciate your input and will take your suggestions to better our services. Hope to see you soon!

Very nice hostel. Staff are very friendly; some rooms are very spacious, some not as much, but still alright. Everything is quite clean. Best feature is the patio, including a kitchen, which is very nice. Also, twice a weak there's a free BBQ. Breakfast is alright, but nothing special.

Thank you for your kind review! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you back soon!