The Northern Greenhouse Reviews

117 Grafton Street, Cairns, Queensland, Australia

This place is a breath of fresh air after staying at Giligans. If you are after a nice place to stay, friendly people, clean facilities, but dont want to be at a party hostel 24/7 then this hostel comes highly recommended. Wireless could be better. The wireless signal is strong when in the main communal area. But the Internet connection gets congested during peak hours and is unusable. We even got a free trip to the waterfalls! Which was a great way to make new friends. Highly recommended.

Really nice hostel, everyday something going on like free bbq or free shuttlebus to the botanic garden...free breakfast is great rooms are ensuite with own kitchen and lockers with chargers in it loved it

I found a big coqueroche in my room

Northern Greenhouse is AMAZING! It's probably the best hostel I had ever stayed. They provide free basic breakfast, free wifi (although it does not work well in the room and had some problems once in a while, but it is quite smooth at the common area); and they have so many free activities going on! Including free BBQ dinner, free tour to the Rainforest; also a swimming pool and a snooker table for everyone to enjoy! Staff are nice, all facilities are clean and location is superb!

Liked it very much and come back for sure!!!! ;-)

A big hostel so it didn't have much atmosphere, but the common areas are good with free wifi. I would have preferred more common area toilets and possibly bathrooms - with 6 people sharing an ensuite, there was quite often a long wait. The lady running the trip info/bookings was really helpful and not pushy at all. The cleanliness score is low because the kitchen was often unhygienic looking - too many people using the facilities.

Nice hostel. There are lots of people around at night, but most of them seem to be in groups that are a little hard to break in to. Maybe I'm just not outgoing enough. Facilities were pretty nice...each dorm has it's own bathroom. Staff is very friendly and helpful. I did try to extend my stay one night, but was told there was no availability. When I checked hostel world, there were rooms available...so I booked there instead of at the desk. Worked out fine. Free wifi is nice!

I hope it have more common shower and toilet .

The staff, location, cleanliness and security are excellent. To be honest, it depends what you are looking for. This hostel is quite big and had lots of drunk teenagers. I prefer smaller hostels that have a traveller atmosphere. It was good here regardless.

So much is included with this hostel for the rate charged. Free wifi, free lockers, fridge freezer and kitchenette in your room. There's a great swimming pool, activities and free food most evenings. Really helpful staff and lovely social area to meet and play pool with new friends. The best hostel I've stayed in all year. Thank you Northern Greenhouse!!

• 27th Dec 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights and had amazing nights there. All the staffs are so kind and friendly. Also, this hostel was very close to groceries. Best ever hostel I've ever visited.

Hostel is like a tropical paradise and staff were very helpful. Nice large common area (outdoor but covered) and pool. Staff helped me book a few tours. Rooms were large and clean. Only issues are some rooms have windows that face the back of another building, so the room is very dim. Ask for a room facing the street if you want light. Wifi is only available in the common area (but it's free). There is a fridge and sink in the room, and there are power outlets inside the lockers.

Excellent hostel, best free wifi ive seen in Oz, great hangout area, Best free bbq ive seen also. Big single beds with fridge and ensuite in room, free air con . Highly recommend. I will return

Best hostel by far and I've stayed in a few now.x

• 13th Dec 2013

Great place to stay for all ages, young and older! Very nice, helpful and a fun place to stay!

my stay was great. the room was fantastic, very large and the fridge and sink area was a huge bonus. the free BBQ was awesome and the office books excursions which is helpful. the only downfall was a man with glasses at the front desk that I had to deal with on my first day, he was extremely unfriendly and almost made me rethink my stay. luckily I never had to speak with him for the rest of my stay.

This is a nice pretty quiet hostel. If you want to party there are definitely other hostels in Cairns you should go to. The rooms are a bit on the hot side but do have a sink and fridge. My biggest complaint was the WIFI. It couldn't connect to my iPhone and I had to go download chrome to get it to work. When I did get connected, the speed wasn't good enough to use for Skype without dropping constantly. Further, the wifi doesn't reach to the rooms, only the central area.

Nice hostel and facilities enjoyed my stay

I am shocked at how this hostel has received such good reviews in the past. Me and my friend had several problems during our stay. On our first night we had a problem with a man in our room who kept waking everyone up from 2am-6am. We all asked reception to help TWICE but they did nothing! The next night me and my friend were walking to our room talking at 12am on the way to bed where we were confronted by a worker who threatened to escort us off the premises for literally nothing! No atmosphere

Good hostel, very quiet and clean rooms. Very helpful and friendly staff, especially when you need advice for your trips to the Reef or other tours around Cairns.