The Northern Greenhouse Reviews

117 Grafton Street, Cairns, Australia

I would never consider cooking in the kitchen - horrible. But the room was ok, beds very comfortable and nice to have your own bathroom (though lots of mold). Two out of the staff was very nice, the rest of them not at all helpful and actually quite rude. We checked in to our room 3.5 hours after check-in available and found our beds without sheets/with dirty sheets, and got a rude tone back "well, the cleaning lady will take care of that later". Should have been done before we checked in...

The wifi is not applicable in most of time not just in peak hours.

• 2nd Dec 2014
  • Hong Kong

My second time at NG and it never really disappoints! Really enjoy the free breakfast, wifi and BBQ's!

Loved this hostel! Such a nice relaxed atmosphere. Giligans is a few doors down and makes you realise how chilled this place is. Rooms are spacious and clean and you have a small kitchenette and fridge which is a bonus! Staff were friendly and so were the residents :)

We loved our stay at the northern greenhouse! It was perfect for the 5 days, really nice staff, facilities, the rooms, the pool etc. We loved the free tours on monday and tuesday. Good for people staying a week, but too expensive for a longer stay especially if you dont want to do the tours over and over every week ;) we wil recommend it to every traveller asking! Thank you again for being so nice especially at our early arrival!

Great place to spend your weekend in cairns! The best hostel i ever wisit

• 7th Oct 2014
  • Sweden

One of the best hostels I've stayed at in Australia, despite the cockroach I found under my pillow. Northern Greenhouse has a lovely staff, a nice and comfortable common area, and many many activities to offer (including free tours).

Absolutle ZERO atmosphere, a very cold and prision like feel. The rooms were ok, with a fridge, aircon and en suite with a sort of kitchen area too. But the main kitchen was where it all went down hill. Omg! Ive never seen anything like it. I only cooked once in there during my stay. None of the sausepans had handles, so it was near on impossible to pick it up without a tea towel. dont make the mistake I made and get the tea towel to close to the gas, cause youll have big problems!!!

Nice clean and quiet hostel with free breakfast and helpful staff. Would definitly recommend!

There are bed bugs in the beds

• 12th Sep 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

I have nothing but positive things to say about this hostel! Staff was amazing, quiet, the rooms were clean, the beds were so comfortable and it's always a plus to have the bathroom right in your room. Also I loved how there was a refrigerator In the room as well! Great place to stay! I highly recommend it!

• 18th Aug 2014

Nicest staff ever! Jazmine was great help with booking and advice on what to do. They were amazingly accommodating for leaving your bags or hanging out before your bus came. Always around when you needed them. The rooms itself were alright just basic.

Northern Greenhouse was a good place to stay. The rooms have lockers (with plugs) and big bins underneath the beds. There is also a fridge, ensuite, and balcony. Staff was nice, especially the man who helped us with the wifi, which did not work well. The ensuite in the dorm was a little challenging, since there were no other bathrooms that I knew of. They could also use lights at each bed. My dormmates were good. Good location, a couple blocks from the esplanade.

A very clean hostel with great storage facilities. The pool was also great for a quick dip. Location is ideal if you want to be central to everything. If you want a half decent nights sleep, this is the hostel to go to. The only bad point I would say is the wifi. It's very poor and cuts out a lot. It also got really frustrating when you mentioned this to the staff and they said it's because 'a lot of people were using it' when the communal area was dead.

• 25th Jun 2014

The hostels nice and good location secure private parking. One thing that a challenge though is charging your stuff due to no power points free in tv room and none available in common area. In the rooms there are a few but very inconveniently located next to sink and behind bottom bunks.