The Nunnery Reviews

116 Nicholson Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Australia

The Nunnery is a beautiful old building - with grand staircase & stained glass windows - and its location very central . The atmosphere was great. Staff members always friendly & helpful ; with the airport shuttle bus a real bonus. I enjoyed the Friday sausage sizzle too. Definitely great value for money !

• 14th May 2015

loved this funky hostel! the front desk was open late and very helpful in booking tours. the room was on the small side, but who cares, as it was just a place to lay my head between adventures. ladies, you can check out hair dryers and straighteners at no charge! towels are included, which is a plus. also LOVED the free and unlimited hot chocolate--SCORE. downsides: front desk wasn't open early when I checked out and you have to pay for wifi.

We had a fantastic stay with you guys, friendly staff, great atmosphere and heaps of information on stuff to do around Melbourne. One of the nicest hostels I've stayed in for a while! Thank you

• 10th May 2015

Excellent, convenient hostel, highly recommended

I only stayed two nights and was out most of the day so didn't really see much of the hostel, but but for a bed for the night it was good and the complimentary breakfast in the morning was really good. They the things that they put on of an eveing sounded really good (not that I really had time to try them)

I never expected it to be so good! There is a real homely feeling as soon as you walk through the door, all the people staying there are very friendly and welcoming. The staff are so helpful and go out their way to help you in any way they can (Alyse, Matt, Jackie, Jen, Nikki, Harriet). All the activities that are put on are super fun, and it is the cleanest hostel I've ever been to! The free breakfast/bread/hot dog day/ soup days are amazing as well, I was never hungry! Everyone should go here!

• 14th Apr 2015

The bathrooms were clean but would have been better if the shower mats had been changed every day. They were always soggy. Secondly the external sink on the second floor that provided paper towels was a little untidy due to discarded used towels always on the floor until I picked them up. Otherwise the place was clean.

• 12th Apr 2015

I really enjoyed my stay at The Nunnery. The building is a bit old so can look a bit run down in places but the great staff, great atmosphere and free breakfast make up for this. The tram runs right past the hostel so its very easy to get to and also really close to lots of great bars and cafes and not too far from the city centre either. The staff were all really friendly and organised a great pub crawl and there was also a free sausage sizzle. Would definitely recommend!

Cleanliness/ facilities: the kitchen was a bit of a mess and there is not enough space for everyone to Cook at the same time...besides that a lot of people don't clean and put their dishes Away. Furtheremore good hostal end we enjoyed our stay.

• 4th Apr 2015

I always stay at this place -close to the city - friendly staff and very clean rooms.

• 2nd Apr 2015

Staff failed to mention construction works were starting the next morning, the building should not have been occupied while they were installing sprinklers in the rooms. Kitchen is closed more than it's open, closing for an hour at a time throughout the day. WiFi is extremely expensive, I got a good data plan for my phone. Atmosphere was pretty dull, just a TV room where most people kept to themselves, more a long term stay kinda atmosphere with few backpackers up for the craic. Nunnery like.

Cute Hostel, clean, the Kirchen is a Little Bit smalltalk, awsome Baby. Friendly persons, 15min to the Central City, good arra in melbourne

Loved this hostel! Such a beautiful part of Melbourne. Very warm atmosphere in the hotste as well. Clean rooms and good free breakfast.

Best hostel I've stayed at! So chill and laid back, love the rooms and the staff. The public transit is just outside of the door so no issues! Can't wait to go back.

This hostel is amazing. Great staff who help with activities such as the bar crawl and FREE barebeque. They give good advise and are always helpful if you leave your key in your room. Great common areas where everyone enjoys a few beers together and you are 5 mins walk from Brunswick street's bars, bottle shops and the CBD for free trams.

The social scene at this hostel was boring. The nightlife was quiet, and everyone was extremely introverted. This place feels like a nunnery, and most people are there to work and not socialise. I wanted to leave almost as soon as I arrived, and I could not get a refund when I checked out early, despite my best efforts to get one. The staff were useless, and getting any information out of them was like pulling teeth. If you want to stay in Melbourne, stay in a nice hostel downtown.

The Nunnery is really basic hostel and quite good value for money. Some issues bothered me during the stay. First of all, during the night there was a big punch of teenagers sitting on the floor next to other rooms and making noises just front of the sign "Silence after 22, please". If you get the room on the side of road be aware that it might be quite noisy. Staff was polite, but they offered me false info about public transport on Sunday. I had to run 30 min to station to catch the airbus.

Quiet location (good for sleeping) but there's a tram stop just outside (free tram zone is a 2 stops walk) so you can get to and from CBD very quickly and easily or out to Brunswick. People were nice, and there are social activities through the week. Breakfast is always a big bonus and if you don't want to purchase wifi ($15 for the week) you can always find it in the city during the day.

Good hostel, at a very central location just opposite Melbourne museum. The people were not backpacker, people staying there were either working or were looking for jobs. But overall a great stay.

• 21st Feb 2015
  • India

Location is good! I could go “white night” easily. Staffs are friendly.I didn't speak English so much, but they tell me information kindly. Thank you! And there're meny events like BBQ!! It's fun.(but I couldn't join it because I wasn't sure about that, at that time.) If internet including, more satisfay! Thank you!

• 20th Feb 2015