The Nunnery Reviews

116 Nicholson Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Australia

The Nunnery is really basic hostel and quite good value for money. Some issues bothered me during the stay. First of all, during the night there was a big punch of teenagers sitting on the floor next to other rooms and making noises just front of the sign "Silence after 22, please". If you get the room on the side of road be aware that it might be quite noisy. Staff was polite, but they offered me false info about public transport on Sunday. I had to run 30 min to station to catch the airbus.

Quiet location (good for sleeping) but there's a tram stop just outside (free tram zone is a 2 stops walk) so you can get to and from CBD very quickly and easily or out to Brunswick. People were nice, and there are social activities through the week. Breakfast is always a big bonus and if you don't want to purchase wifi ($15 for the week) you can always find it in the city during the day.

• 26th Feb 2015

I had a wonderful time at this hostel....very nice women in my dorm. The barbeque and pancakes were fantastic. Young people did not clean up after themselves so well, but staff came in and did it. The staff could not have been better. They help you with all your questions!! I would return, but not in room 5 so close to the kitchen.

One of the best hostels I've stayed at - helpful staff, breakfast, good wifi, comfortable rooms and common areas. Kitchen is a little small but it doesn't cause much of a problem.

1. This is not actually a nunnery, there are no nuns here. 2. Bathrooms are dirty (stains on the seats). 3. The showers have no pressure and leak. 4. Living room is dirty - Informed the front desk of a dirty living room table and they pointed towards to bathroom wanted customers to do the cleaning. The table is so dirty that cleaning it made no difference. 5. The rooms are small. 6. The staff is generally irritated, curt and unhelpful. 7. There is no lift at this establishment.

The best hostel I've stayed in. Clean, good location and the building looks wonderful! The rooms are spacious which makes 12 bed dorms very bearable. The kitchen is a little too small but that's my only complaint. And you get free breakfast! Staff are OK--nice, but nothing special--and the atmosphere is quite relaxed. Mind that there are a lot of long term stayers here so sometimes it is a bit hard to make friends (but Melbourne is very easy to socialise in anyway).

Probably the best hostel in Australia, especially for the price and location.

I enjoyed my stay , but I feel like the staff did their bare minimum and weren't always very accomadating. Above all though , a great place !

• 4th Feb 2015

Thank you for the wonderful free icecream, pubcrowl, free bbq...

really great place, lovely building and the bbq was really nice!!! great location too... but its a shame you have to pay for wifi and you get only access to one device even then.

• 2nd Feb 2015

As a first-time traveler, I would NOT recommend the Nunnery. Nobody talked to each other or made efforts to become friends - each kept to their own. The bottom floor had no bathroom facilities, so I had to climb the stairs each time I wanted to shower or pee. Not ideal. My room was located 10 meters from the tram line, where the noise would keep me awake at night. The kitchen is absolutely tiny, and during meal-times people would have to squeeze to get anywhere near the sinks or stove.

I've travelled for a month in Australia, stayed at a lot of nice hostels, and The Nunnery was by far the best.

Try to get a place in the guest house.

I thought it was rather expensive: two people sharing a tiny room with bunk beds. We did appreciate the TV. The kitchen facilities were good and the breakfast was nice. They could do with some new bathmats!

• 23rd Jan 2015

The Nunnery has great lounges and free breakfast and quiet place . I enjoyed the backpackers I met .

• 21st Jan 2015

Nice house to stay, a little out the city center. As a female traveler i would next time choose a place more in the center but the place itself is very nice. Very friendly staff!!!

The dorm was really dirty. In all other hostels I have stayed at so far the floor got cleaned once a day and so did the bathroom. I have spent five nights at the Nunnery's and that hasn't happened once. It was dirty when I had arrived and even more disgusting when I left.

I had a super time here. Everything was great - other guests, rooms, location, bathroom, communal areas, atmosphere. The only hostel I stayed in in 5 weeks to offer a free towel and breakfast. Staff really friendly and helpful. Everywhere was nice a spacious. Only down sides were the bed were a bit creeky and the kitchen was too small.

Really nice hostel, great vibe, big and clean. Arrived on a great day free breakfast and free BBQ dinner.

Still a nice hostel. Tried their guesthouse the second night. Very swanky and a bit more quiet. Could use a timer or a sign, so people don't spend half hours in the bathroom/toilets. Or a toilet without a shower. And still needs better aircon than a ceiling fan and open windows.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5