The Nunnery Reviews

116 Nicholson Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Australia

Staff failed to mention construction works were starting the next morning, the building should not have been occupied while they were installing sprinklers in the rooms. Kitchen is closed more than it's open, closing for an hour at a time throughout the day. WiFi is extremely expensive, I got a good data plan for my phone. Atmosphere was pretty dull, just a TV room where most people kept to themselves, more a long term stay kinda atmosphere with few backpackers up for the craic. Nunnery like.

Loved this hostel! Such a beautiful part of Melbourne. Very warm atmosphere in the hotste as well. Clean rooms and good free breakfast.

This hostel is amazing. Great staff who help with activities such as the bar crawl and FREE barebeque. They give good advise and are always helpful if you leave your key in your room. Great common areas where everyone enjoys a few beers together and you are 5 mins walk from Brunswick street's bars, bottle shops and the CBD for free trams.

The social scene at this hostel was boring. The nightlife was quiet, and everyone was extremely introverted. This place feels like a nunnery, and most people are there to work and not socialise. I wanted to leave almost as soon as I arrived, and I could not get a refund when I checked out early, despite my best efforts to get one. The staff were useless, and getting any information out of them was like pulling teeth. If you want to stay in Melbourne, stay in a nice hostel downtown.

The Nunnery is really basic hostel and quite good value for money. Some issues bothered me during the stay. First of all, during the night there was a big punch of teenagers sitting on the floor next to other rooms and making noises just front of the sign "Silence after 22, please". If you get the room on the side of road be aware that it might be quite noisy. Staff was polite, but they offered me false info about public transport on Sunday. I had to run 30 min to station to catch the airbus.

Quiet location (good for sleeping) but there's a tram stop just outside (free tram zone is a 2 stops walk) so you can get to and from CBD very quickly and easily or out to Brunswick. People were nice, and there are social activities through the week. Breakfast is always a big bonus and if you don't want to purchase wifi ($15 for the week) you can always find it in the city during the day.

• 26th Feb 2015

Location is good! I could go “white night” easily. Staffs are friendly.I didn't speak English so much, but they tell me information kindly. Thank you! And there're meny events like BBQ!! It's fun.(but I couldn't join it because I wasn't sure about that, at that time.) If internet including, more satisfay! Thank you!

• 20th Feb 2015
  • Japan

I had a wonderful time at this hostel....very nice women in my dorm. The barbeque and pancakes were fantastic. Young people did not clean up after themselves so well, but staff came in and did it. The staff could not have been better. They help you with all your questions!! I would return, but not in room 5 so close to the kitchen.

One of the best hostels I've stayed at - helpful staff, breakfast, good wifi, comfortable rooms and common areas. Kitchen is a little small but it doesn't cause much of a problem.

Had a great time at The Nunnery! Really nice staff and a cool old building in a really nice area of Melbourne. I know it's not that uncommon in Australia, but I thought having to pay for wi fi was a bit ridiculous.

1. This is not actually a nunnery, there are no nuns here. 2. Bathrooms are dirty (stains on the seats). 3. The showers have no pressure and leak. 4. Living room is dirty - Informed the front desk of a dirty living room table and they pointed towards to bathroom wanted customers to do the cleaning. The table is so dirty that cleaning it made no difference. 5. The rooms are small. 6. The staff is generally irritated, curt and unhelpful. 7. There is no lift at this establishment.

The best hostel I've stayed in. Clean, good location and the building looks wonderful! The rooms are spacious which makes 12 bed dorms very bearable. The kitchen is a little too small but that's my only complaint. And you get free breakfast! Staff are OK--nice, but nothing special--and the atmosphere is quite relaxed. Mind that there are a lot of long term stayers here so sometimes it is a bit hard to make friends (but Melbourne is very easy to socialise in anyway).

Probably the best hostel in Australia, especially for the price and location.

I enjoyed my stay , but I feel like the staff did their bare minimum and weren't always very accomadating. Above all though , a great place !

• 4th Feb 2015

Thank you for the wonderful free icecream, pubcrowl, free bbq...

really great place, lovely building and the bbq was really nice!!! great location too... but its a shame you have to pay for wifi and you get only access to one device even then.

• 2nd Feb 2015

As a first-time traveler, I would NOT recommend the Nunnery. Nobody talked to each other or made efforts to become friends - each kept to their own. The bottom floor had no bathroom facilities, so I had to climb the stairs each time I wanted to shower or pee. Not ideal. My room was located 10 meters from the tram line, where the noise would keep me awake at night. The kitchen is absolutely tiny, and during meal-times people would have to squeeze to get anywhere near the sinks or stove.

Great place with awesome facilities and atmosphere.stayed in 3 and 4 bed dorms and really enjoyed.had one spontaneously booked night at a 8 bed dorm.that was too crowded for mme.the have two beautiful buildings and lovely bathrooms.highly recommendable

I've travelled for a month in Australia, stayed at a lot of nice hostels, and The Nunnery was by far the best.

Try to get a place in the guest house.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4