The Nunnery Reviews

116 Nicholson Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Australia

Found the double room very comfortable and pleasently surprised to see it equipped with fridge and heater with a decent tv. Staff are very accomodating and easy to talk to!

• 24th Jul 2015

I loved the location, which was a quick 20 minute walk to the city. The staff were friendly, and answered any questions I had. Free breakfast was a plus, and the kitchen was really nice. The only things I didn't enjoy was how warm my dorm was, and the shower leaked constantly. I overall enjoyed my stay, and will choose this place again in the future.

• 23rd Jul 2015

In peak times, the hostel can get quite crowded.

• 22nd Jul 2015
  • Denmark

Good atmosphere but kitchen and facilities needed to be improved .

I really enjoyed staying at The Nunnery. I loved the old building and friendly staff. My only was with the breakfast provided. I am highly allergic to peanuts and when I went to have breakfast (covered under the daily rate) I found that there was peanut butter out and being used. I'm usually ok being around peanuts being eaten by others but saw several guests use cutlery for peanut butter and then jam (contaminating the jam) as well as remnants of peanut butter on 'clean' cutlery & crockery.

• 12th Jul 2015

The hostel staffs are very helpful and nice. I stayed two nights. One of them was fine but one night was super annoying, many peoples had loud party in the common room, which is just next door to many rooms. The music played by hostel was also very loud and some TV games might be connected to the music system of the hostel so it was super annoying to listen to those game sounds. The faculty was fine but the toilets and washroom need to be cleaned and fixed. No free wifi is still a shock to me...

Great staff!

Pros: Nice renovated house, good common spaces, 10 minutes from CBD, fun Fitzroy neighborhood, easy-to-navigate tram line, basic free breakfast. Cons: People basically move in to this hostel, so the rooms get really messy and stuffed (it took me 15 minutes to find a place for my bag in the room because it was full of junk that no one ever tidied). Shower is burning hot or ice cold, no compromise. All faucets leaked significantly. Extremely loud long beyond 10pm quiet hours.

I stayed at the Nunnery for 3 nights with a friend. We had high expectations, but were disappointed. I'd recommend this hostel if you're young, and looking for people to meet. However, I would not recommend this hostel if you're looking for a good night's sleep as guests tend to be loud in the evenings. Also, the rooms were not at all what we anticipated: unlike the photos shown on the booking page, our four-person room was EXTREMELY tiny and generally depressing due to how dark and cold it was.

Such a fantastic hostel! I really enjoyed my stay here, roomsrooms and bathrooms were clean, free breakfast and they organise various events throughout the week such as movie night and sausage sizzle. Staff were very helpful and this hostel seems to attract a lovely bunch of people to stay here. Good location, you can walk or get the tram to the CBD and very close to Brunswick Street for a good night out.

I stayed at this backpackers two years ago - it was much the same though I had rosy spectacles about it. It's such a STUNNING building - all it would take is a little care to make this place something really special. The rooms, and I saw a few of them, were so messy. There were two couches in our room but you wouldn't make use of them they looked so filthy. It is a good place to stay - it's just such a pity that it's not better kept.

Absolutely a must if one stays in Melbourne!

within CBD and near to tram. however not near to free tram station

• 30th May 2015
  • Malaysia

The Nunnery is a beautiful old building - with grand staircase & stained glass windows - and its location very central . The atmosphere was great. Staff members always friendly & helpful ; with the airport shuttle bus a real bonus. I enjoyed the Friday sausage sizzle too. Definitely great value for money !

• 14th May 2015

loved this funky hostel! the front desk was open late and very helpful in booking tours. the room was on the small side, but who cares, as it was just a place to lay my head between adventures. ladies, you can check out hair dryers and straighteners at no charge! towels are included, which is a plus. also LOVED the free and unlimited hot chocolate--SCORE. downsides: front desk wasn't open early when I checked out and you have to pay for wifi.

We had a fantastic stay with you guys, friendly staff, great atmosphere and heaps of information on stuff to do around Melbourne. One of the nicest hostels I've stayed in for a while! Thank you

• 10th May 2015

Excellent, convenient hostel, highly recommended

I only stayed two nights and was out most of the day so didn't really see much of the hostel, but but for a bed for the night it was good and the complimentary breakfast in the morning was really good. They the things that they put on of an eveing sounded really good (not that I really had time to try them)

I never expected it to be so good! There is a real homely feeling as soon as you walk through the door, all the people staying there are very friendly and welcoming. The staff are so helpful and go out their way to help you in any way they can (Alyse, Matt, Jackie, Jen, Nikki, Harriet). All the activities that are put on are super fun, and it is the cleanest hostel I've ever been to! The free breakfast/bread/hot dog day/ soup days are amazing as well, I was never hungry! Everyone should go here!

• 14th Apr 2015

The bathrooms were clean but would have been better if the shower mats had been changed every day. They were always soggy. Secondly the external sink on the second floor that provided paper towels was a little untidy due to discarded used towels always on the floor until I picked them up. Otherwise the place was clean.

• 12th Apr 2015