The Nunnery Reviews

116 Nicholson Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Australia

Lovely place to stay.

Great experience in the single room. Felt very safe!

The staff are really nice and make up where other things fail but as hostels go it's a little out of the way, building is lovely but the atmosphere seems a bit confused, less money should be spent on posh wicker furniture for the entrance and more in other areas, I think calling it 'free continental breakfast' is a bit generous...It was bread and cornflakes, chewing gum and hair stuck to my bunk...All in all not great, towel provided which is nice but think you could do better for the money :(

• 6th Aug 2015

The best hostel I have ever stayed...

Fantastic for the price. Will return.

• 31st Jul 2015

Great experience and nice relaxing environment surprisingly close to the city and other amazing districts that Melbourne has to offer!

Found the double room very comfortable and pleasently surprised to see it equipped with fridge and heater with a decent tv. Staff are very accomodating and easy to talk to!

• 24th Jul 2015

I loved the location, which was a quick 20 minute walk to the city. The staff were friendly, and answered any questions I had. Free breakfast was a plus, and the kitchen was really nice. The only things I didn't enjoy was how warm my dorm was, and the shower leaked constantly. I overall enjoyed my stay, and will choose this place again in the future.

• 23rd Jul 2015

In peak times, the hostel can get quite crowded.

• 22nd Jul 2015
  • Denmark

Good atmosphere but kitchen and facilities needed to be improved .

I really enjoyed staying at The Nunnery. I loved the old building and friendly staff. My only was with the breakfast provided. I am highly allergic to peanuts and when I went to have breakfast (covered under the daily rate) I found that there was peanut butter out and being used. I'm usually ok being around peanuts being eaten by others but saw several guests use cutlery for peanut butter and then jam (contaminating the jam) as well as remnants of peanut butter on 'clean' cutlery & crockery.

• 12th Jul 2015

The hostel staffs are very helpful and nice. I stayed two nights. One of them was fine but one night was super annoying, many peoples had loud party in the common room, which is just next door to many rooms. The music played by hostel was also very loud and some TV games might be connected to the music system of the hostel so it was super annoying to listen to those game sounds. The faculty was fine but the toilets and washroom need to be cleaned and fixed. No free wifi is still a shock to me...

Great staff!

Pros: Nice renovated house, good common spaces, 10 minutes from CBD, fun Fitzroy neighborhood, easy-to-navigate tram line, basic free breakfast. Cons: People basically move in to this hostel, so the rooms get really messy and stuffed (it took me 15 minutes to find a place for my bag in the room because it was full of junk that no one ever tidied). Shower is burning hot or ice cold, no compromise. All faucets leaked significantly. Extremely loud long beyond 10pm quiet hours.

I stayed at the Nunnery for 3 nights with a friend. We had high expectations, but were disappointed. I'd recommend this hostel if you're young, and looking for people to meet. However, I would not recommend this hostel if you're looking for a good night's sleep as guests tend to be loud in the evenings. Also, the rooms were not at all what we anticipated: unlike the photos shown on the booking page, our four-person room was EXTREMELY tiny and generally depressing due to how dark and cold it was.

Such a fantastic hostel! I really enjoyed my stay here, roomsrooms and bathrooms were clean, free breakfast and they organise various events throughout the week such as movie night and sausage sizzle. Staff were very helpful and this hostel seems to attract a lovely bunch of people to stay here. Good location, you can walk or get the tram to the CBD and very close to Brunswick Street for a good night out.

A great hostel! The staff Matt, Jacqui, Elise, Harriet and Nicki areare very friendly! They have free soup night on Wednesday and a sausage night on Fridays which is fun! Stayed here for three weeks and had a good time. The tram stop is just outside the hostel and takes 5 mins to get in to the centre of Melbourne!

• 22nd Jun 2015

I stayed at this backpackers two years ago - it was much the same though I had rosy spectacles about it. It's such a STUNNING building - all it would take is a little care to make this place something really special. The rooms, and I saw a few of them, were so messy. There were two couches in our room but you wouldn't make use of them they looked so filthy. It is a good place to stay - it's just such a pity that it's not better kept.

Absolutely a must if one stays in Melbourne!

within CBD and near to tram. however not near to free tram station

• 30th May 2015