The Nunnery Reviews

116 Nicholson Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Australia

Very well organized hostel with good organization of services, laundry, night activities and tv room. Thought would organize some activities themselves instead of have only leaflets and rooms could be cleaner.

Great security, I felt happy to leave my valuables in the lockers which are not always available at hostels

Great Hostel.

I had a good time, met a few people. The location is not too bad but you have to take the tram for a few minutes or you walk for 25 min. But the trams runs until late so thats alright. Room was clean, kitchen as well and almost every day something cool is on like pub tour or beach or free bbq/ ice cream. Enjoy it, i would recommend it!

The cleanest and comfiest hostel I have stayed in yet! Thanks!

Wonderful stay! Very homely feel. Not a party hostel. Cute old building and relaxed leafy outdoor areas. Terrible wifi. Other than that no complaints; friendly staff & other guests, would definitely stay again! Thank you!

Strong hostel

The hostel is friendly and relaxed. Basic standards of hygiene etc are well maintained. The lovely old home, with its high ceilings broad corridors and spacious interiors was the opposite of claustrophobic. My private room, with views out onto a lovely park, was great. Staff were always helpful. The location, on the fringe of the fantastic inner suburb of Fitzroy, was great. The outstanding Melbourne museum is across the road. The free inner city tram zone is just 400 metres away.

• 20th Jan 2016
  • New Zealand

The Nunnery is a really quirky place to stay and theres lots of nice little touches which make it feel homely. Good location, right next to a tram stop, clean, good breakfast and BBQ and comfy. Though it's a shame the rest of the occupants are a bunch of snooty hipsters who are totally inconsiderate of other people - not the hostel's fault. Just made the atmosphere a bit strange.

Overall great hostel with good security, lounge and courtyard area, great staff and location. Wifi is paying (not too expensive) but most of the time is slow, understandable with how many people use it at once but if it's paying, the money could be used to upgrade it. Bathrooms are the only real letdown, everything in one - one person can only use most of them at one time and this means queueing, plus the bathrooms themselves are old and worn (toilet seats terrible condition/shower cubicles).

Really friendly staff helped me when I booked the wrong month! Even put me in the guesthouse when I was meant to pay more. Activities everyday (except for Saturday's) are lots of fun. Free breakfast and braai on a Friday are bonuses. Overall very much enjoyed my stay.

• 14th Jan 2016

This hostel is fine, lovely location next to the park and a few minutes walk from the free trams. The free breakfast was a nice perk! The rooms/ facilities aren't the best but they're fine for a hostel! The staff were a mixed bag too!

Ceiling Fan is dangeous for occupants of the bunker beds.You have to think of it as it is safety risk.

• 13th Jan 2016
  • Sri Lanka

Great location on the edge of Fitzroy with super close tram stop. 8 Bed dorm was good - could have more storage/lockers to put stuff in. Breakfast was expectedly busy, especially with pancakes on Sunday. Good atmosphere, always people around in the common spaces.

Great place to stay! Definitely my favourite hostel in melbourne.

I emailed the hostel to say that I wouldnt be arriving for the 1st night I'd reserved due to a missed connection, but that I would be there for the second 2 nights I'd booked. After this was confirmed via email, I arrived to find that my bed had been sold. I booked in a 4 bed dorm and the only thing I was offered to compensate was a cot in a 12 bed dorm at the same rate. It wasn't until I was near tears that the woman helping me miraculously found a spot in a 3 bed dorm. Poor customer service.

• 7th Jan 2016

Absolutely terrific. Really nice staff, great amosphere with the guests. The location is perfect, so close to wonderful fitzroy as well as the central parts of Melbourne.

This is definitely one of the best hostels I've been to...the atmosphere is great, the hostel is very clean and they even have breakfast for free!

• 5th Jan 2016
  • Israel

This is a great hostel in a great location. Free breakfast is good and the bathrooms are pretty decent. My main issue was there just wasnt enough of them. I stayed inthe guest house and there are only 3 showers for at least 5 rooms of 6-8 people. Because there are no separate toilets, there was a queue every morning. As per other comments, the carpets are quite worn out and stained. There was also staining on the bedding, but nothing too bad. Generally though i had a great time!

Good hostel. Only stayed one night but it seemed pretty social. Facilities were what was expected for the price