The Nunnery Reviews

116 Nicholson Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Australia

Really nice building/interior. Free breakfast, but kitchen a bit small. Friendly and helpful staff. I got the upper bunk in a three man room with a fan right over the ladder. Might want to move one or the other. They put me in another room tho so no headaches or decapitations. No aircon alas cept the ceiling fans. I would happilyvstay there again though. :-)

Loved it! Great location in Fitzroy, Victorian building with authentic furniture, nice outdoor areas, free breakfast with rolls, great bathrooms (one with whirl pool), but more bathrooms would be good

A beautiful hostel which may fall into the "style over substance" category. It's very well organised and clean, but has limited space and lacks all that much of a social feel. We only stayed for 2 nights, so it's not long enough to judge as a whole, but we can only go on what we experienced. The room was a tip, we seemed to end up with some of the messiest people imaginable, and the shower door was severely damaged. However, if clean and repaired, for a dorm room, it would border on luxury.

We had a great weekend and the Nunnery is a great place to stay. We didn't even mind sharing a room with a nice English boy not sure how he felt 7 women and him but he was very nice. The toilets down stairs were a bit smelly as they smelt of urine, but other wise everything was great and we will stay there again.

• 6th Dec 2014

Have stayed at The Nunnery previously and had a great stay so maybe just a bad room or day but I found the cleanliness really poor (dirty bowls left in the room, unclean ensuite). The pillow on my bunk was the most stained and smelly I've ever used, including India and 7 months backpacking in Europe- I expected better, very hygienic

The location of this accommodation is great. I think though that noise control really should be enforced after 10pm for guests who really would like to sleep, not everyone is into partying and drinking. Alcohol and food should not be allowed in the shared dorm rooms as they become smelly and slummy! Maybe there could be a special dorm room dedicated to quieter guests???

Not air-conditioned

great place to stay - great people, great times, great facilities and events throughout the week! could do with a little bit more of a clean but other than that great 👍

The Guest House was AWESOME. We stayed there for one night and the bathroom was spotless, and the room was super nice. The next night we stayed in the normal part of the hostel, and we avoided the bathrooms because they weren't clean. Cleaner bathrooms is a must. The room was nice though.

• 30th Nov 2014

The hostel doesn't really foster interaction with other hostel members

• 26th Nov 2014

Super convenient - located just outside of Melbourne CBD, with a tram stop right outside that leads you into the CBD or a 10 minute walk to Parliament Station/15 minute walk into the CBD. It's also very close to Brunswick St - less than 10 minute walk to get there. The hostel is your average hostel - bunk beds and shared bathrooms, but no free WIFI! If you want something more private, you can opt for the more pricey Inn next door which is also part of The Nunnery. Staff are lovely & helpful!

• 25th Nov 2014

I would recommend to my best friends. :)

The nunnery is a great place to stay when you want to be kinda in the centre of Melbourne, but in a peaceful quite area. The tram is a good connection to the city centre. I booked a 4 girls dorm room, but they over booked me. So I had a free upgrade to a private room for two nights. Victoria market is close by. Maybe 10 to 15 min walkin. Wifi is not free.

It was a really fun experience in a central location. I met a lot of amazing people & did not pay a lot for that!

Loved this hostel, best one I stayed at in Melbourne. Such a nice friendly atmosphere, and great breakfast and freebies during the week for example ice cream, bbq and soup. Only criticism would be having lights above each bunk would be great, and more places to hang your stuff whilst you're in the shower.

• 20th Nov 2014

A great hostel. All the staff and guests were very welcoming and friendly. There is a lot of long term guests but they are all friendly and include you in activities etc. The evening activities are good. Location is good, 5 minutes walk from the centre of Fitzroy then a 15/20 minute walk to Melbourne city centre or it's a 5 minute tram ride. The dorm rooms are very dark, but that's my only criticism. Would definitely recommend staying there and would stay there again myself.

Beautiful gardens and courtyards.

The Nunnery is excellent value for money, the staff was very friendly and although we were not the typical hostel clientele (mum with 12year old daughter) we had a great time and would stay there again.

• 17th Nov 2014

I stayed at the Guesthouse and I loved it as it has its own kitchen and dinner table. The 6 bed dorm was comfy and it even had a TV and a fake fire place. The interior was lovely too, just like a traditional B&B. I found the girls at the reception very helpful as well as the maps they provided. One way by which the Nunnery could improve is by offering free internet and maybe fruit with the otherwise yummy breakfast. Moreover, I can also very much recommend the area as a base to explore.

The common room is very nice, but the kitchen is way too small. No lift. The rooms are nice with hangers and safes. I didn't really like the location - it was too far from the CBD. The Carlton Gardens nearby is however very nice and does give a great atmosphere to the location.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4