The Nunnery Reviews

116 Nicholson Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Australia

Loved my time at the Nunnery. Staff couldn't be any lovelier and the facilities are great

After 6 month in Australia, I have stayed at quite a few hostels and I can honestly say that The Nunnery is by far one of the very best! The atmosphere and the place is super cosy and with lots of personality. The rooms are clean, have lots of power plugs and are cosy as well, and the beds a good. The courtyard and outdoor area is small yet well decorated and really nice. And great free breakfast! Small kitchen though. Defiantly value for the money!

Really well located, close the Melbourne CBD and Fitzroy. The only problem is that there are a lot of people living there and they don't socialize with others, so if you're travelling alone or want to know another people, this is not the best place (also staff is not very friendly). But the acommodation is good and breakfast is ok.

I enjoyed my stay at The Nunnery, the staff were courteous and professional, albeit quite busy every time I went to speak with them (not their fault, of course, it was around Christmastime and everything is hectic). A couple of things were a wee bit inconvenient for me: 1) the kitchen is closed from 22:00-07:30, I'm an early riser & budget traveller and like to start my day with my coffee and brekkie before the kitchen gets crowded, and 2) no free wifi. Otherwise a fantastic place to stay.

The receptionists were all extremely helpful and friendly. Common rooms are nicely set up, you can easily meet people. One of the best hostel I have ever stayed in!

Excellent location just a tram away from city centre. Got free upgrade to guest house which was a pleasant surprise. Very clean toilets, free breakfast and light snacks to help ourselves too. Quirky "nunnery" style reminders were great. Nice deco in hostel. More than value for money for what i paid.

• 21st Dec 2014
  • Singapore

Really nice building/interior. Free breakfast, but kitchen a bit small. Friendly and helpful staff. I got the upper bunk in a three man room with a fan right over the ladder. Might want to move one or the other. They put me in another room tho so no headaches or decapitations. No aircon alas cept the ceiling fans. I would happilyvstay there again though. :-)

Loved it! Great location in Fitzroy, Victorian building with authentic furniture, nice outdoor areas, free breakfast with rolls, great bathrooms (one with whirl pool), but more bathrooms would be good

A beautiful hostel which may fall into the "style over substance" category. It's very well organised and clean, but has limited space and lacks all that much of a social feel. We only stayed for 2 nights, so it's not long enough to judge as a whole, but we can only go on what we experienced. The room was a tip, we seemed to end up with some of the messiest people imaginable, and the shower door was severely damaged. However, if clean and repaired, for a dorm room, it would border on luxury.

The best hostel. The staff were exceptionally helpful, (even at 1:30am when I first checked-in). There are many areas to chill but also activities or entertainment offered most nights of the week. It's a good thing the hostel is located a short tram ride away from the CBD. It permits you to view the city from the outside-in. Also, Fitzroy is one of the coolest suburbs in the world: A melting pot of caffeine dealers, live music, hip hangouts and traditional pubs. Definitely worth a gander!

We had a great weekend and the Nunnery is a great place to stay. We didn't even mind sharing a room with a nice English boy not sure how he felt 7 women and him but he was very nice. The toilets down stairs were a bit smelly as they smelt of urine, but other wise everything was great and we will stay there again.

• 6th Dec 2014

Have stayed at The Nunnery previously and had a great stay so maybe just a bad room or day but I found the cleanliness really poor (dirty bowls left in the room, unclean ensuite). The pillow on my bunk was the most stained and smelly I've ever used, including India and 7 months backpacking in Europe- I expected better, very hygienic

The location of this accommodation is great. I think though that noise control really should be enforced after 10pm for guests who really would like to sleep, not everyone is into partying and drinking. Alcohol and food should not be allowed in the shared dorm rooms as they become smelly and slummy! Maybe there could be a special dorm room dedicated to quieter guests???

Not air-conditioned

great place to stay - great people, great times, great facilities and events throughout the week! could do with a little bit more of a clean but other than that great 👍

The Guest House was AWESOME. We stayed there for one night and the bathroom was spotless, and the room was super nice. The next night we stayed in the normal part of the hostel, and we avoided the bathrooms because they weren't clean. Cleaner bathrooms is a must. The room was nice though.

• 30th Nov 2014

It was a nice hostel. The name gave the impression that this would be a quieter hostel, but there's a fairly large number of people on their gap year who are looking to party so they were very active at night. Not your typical hostel, but has all the necessary facilities. There was no aircon or fan in ours - it was broken in the wardrobe. Thankfully it wasn't that hot when we were there but it would have likely been unbearable had it been.

• 28th Nov 2014

The hostel doesn't really foster interaction with other hostel members

• 26th Nov 2014

Super convenient - located just outside of Melbourne CBD, with a tram stop right outside that leads you into the CBD or a 10 minute walk to Parliament Station/15 minute walk into the CBD. It's also very close to Brunswick St - less than 10 minute walk to get there. The hostel is your average hostel - bunk beds and shared bathrooms, but no free WIFI! If you want something more private, you can opt for the more pricey Inn next door which is also part of The Nunnery. Staff are lovely & helpful!

• 25th Nov 2014

I would recommend to my best friends. :)