The Old Countryhouse Reviews

437 Gloucester Street, Christchurch, New Zealand

Very pleasant garden and room very clean

• 18th Jan 2015

Hi Jerome, Thank you for your time to review our hostel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Great hostel clean kitchen, bathrooms, beds. Nice spa outside as a bonus!! The staff are wonderful, there was a mix up with our key and they came back afterwards to sort us out. Big negative though they don't let you check into the dorms after 8pm which was a massive pain as we got stuck in traffic and had to upgrade to a private and pay double.

I booked the 4 bed mixed dorm. They have a really spacious kitchen, great toilet and shower facilities and a Lounge area that has t.v and wifi which was perfect. The staff at reception were so friendly and welcoming and very knowledgeable about the area and were more than willing to give you any advice or help. The location for me was not bad at all but if you are not one for walking for long periods of time you may not enjoy it so much. Over all really good stay :)

• 9th Jan 2015

The location sucks and it’s a good 45 min walk from city center. However, the block area has good, cheap grocery/food stops. The facilities are average. Kitchen, sauna, bathrooms are ok. The rooms/beds are below average with limited power points. The wifi is decent with good room coverage. Weak atmosphere, more a place to crash while you explore. The staff are fantastic here though with legit local insight and recommendations to offer. Very helpful.

Nice, spacious hostel with spa pool and garden. 10-15 minutes walk to town center.

Comfortable hostel with great facilities :) :) :)

Great to hear you have enjoyed the little extras, so our guests can enjoy a relaxing and comfortable stay.

the soa is really nice and the dorms are clean. i put a bad price rate as they in my opinion missuse their late night policy. i understand the fact they don`t want to let the people in very late but 9pm is really tooearly, 99% of the people are still awake at 10 or 11 pm. and the fact that they charge 120 dollar for a standart private room without shower and bathroom ist just too much. as you can`t cancel your booking any more you are more or less forced to upgrade to a ridicolouse overpriced ro

Note: I'd have rated it all Excellent if I had been in the dorms. The dorms are fantastic. This rating is based on "The Cottage" which is a room stuck on its own. It smells like mould (I felt ill each morning) and you have to walk outside to the other houses to use the bathroom. I told staff about the mould - they told me they'd check into it, but didn't give me a follow-up. So don't rent that room (it's labeled a "twin private" and is definitely not worth the price).

Really nice hostel. Kept nice and clean. Excellent facilities. A little bit of a walk to the city but not too bad. Would definately stay here again if I come back to Christchurch.

Thanks for your feedback. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. Yes, unfortunately, we can't do nothing about the 1500 metres walk to the city centre, but are so lucky to have a bus stop in front of the hostel. Please do visit us again next time you are in Christchurch.

great hostel. friendly staff excellent facilities. amazing spa :)

We love it when people enjoy the hostel, our company and make the most of enjoying our great facilities. Can't beat a lazy afternoon in the sun on the big bean bag pillows...

I had a nice stay. Very helpful staff. Very low key and respectful environment.

• 29th Dec 2014

Thank you for taking a moment to comment your recent stay with us, and thanks for commenting on our staff. They are the ones that make make a great hostel. I will pass your comments onto them. Cheers and perhaps we will see you again next time you are in Christchurch?

The staff are very friendly and helpful and the hostel itself is very clean and tidy. My only issues is the location isn't the best and had to rely on the bus or 20/30 minute walks. Also the 48 hours cancellation policy is a bit much, majority of places i've stayed at have 24 or less.

Older, quaint, cute, and not really modern, but homey. It's far out of town, so spend a few bucks on a bus anytime you want to go anywhere. The location is good for "at home" stuff- very neighbourhoody. There's a sauna and hot-tub (if only I had known!) and the staff can be helpful if they want to be. I was so uncomfortable being the only woman in an all-male "mixed" dorm, I actually went to the commons room to sleep. When I asked to move rooms, the staff was annoyed. Had to pay more to move.

Fantastic hostel! Without doubt the cleanest hostel I've ever been in, and I've been travelling for 6 months! The kitchen was very spacious and had all the cooking equipment you could ever need. Staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, showers were always hot, free wifi was excellent. Sauna and jacuzzi were both great. Was a slight walk from the city centre however I quite liked this. Only recommendation would be to have individual lockers for valuables. Fantastic overall! Thanks!

HI John, Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. It's expecially great to hear this from such a well traveled guest who has been on the road for 6 months and knows all the hostels out there. We are so glad we made your stay memorable and that you enjoyed our great facilities and the free WiFi. We are constantly trying to improve, so it's great to get your feedback. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

The staff was amazingly nice. The people at the hostel were great. Perfect atmosphere. The only thing I thought was that it was pricey for the location. I paid 42$ for my night and it wasn't in the city center which sucked. I must admit that the location it was at did have cheaper shops so if you needed to cook or just eat or even buy small things there were shops and even a dollar store. It was located about 10-15 min walk from city center.

Good hostel a bit away from the central part, but nothing a walk can't handle.

This place was great. They have multiple houses on the property, each with separate facilities which was pretty cool. It's a little bit out of the city centre but the walk doesn't really take too long. There was quite a relaxed feel to the place - which may be due to the hot tub and the sauna! Would recommend for anyone wanting a good nights sleep.

No hooks or shelves in the dorm meant we could only store things on the floor. No lockers No lounge in the house I was in, so people had to use the kitchen table for laptops. Could be better with a few simple changes.

Amazing hostel. A bit out of the city centre, but in Christchurch better shops and eateries in the suburbs than city centre. Really good facilities, very homely feel and most helpful and friendly staff I met in New Zealand

Our stay at The Old Countryhouse was really good. The place is clean as a hospital and we really liked that it was clearly not a party hostel. The atmosphere was really relaxed and people enjoyed themselved, that for sure. We would have prefered to have lock on the door to the room and lockers in the room, to keep our belongings secure. Some of the time one out of two showers/toilets were closed in our building for some reason, but we were few people then so it was OK anyway.

View all Christchurch Hostels