The Old Countryhouse Reviews

437 Gloucester Street, Christchurch, New Zealand

Amazing hostel. A bit out of the city centre, but in Christchurch better shops and eateries in the suburbs than city centre. Really good facilities, very homely feel and most helpful and friendly staff I met in New Zealand

Our stay at The Old Countryhouse was really good. The place is clean as a hospital and we really liked that it was clearly not a party hostel. The atmosphere was really relaxed and people enjoyed themselved, that for sure. We would have prefered to have lock on the door to the room and lockers in the room, to keep our belongings secure. Some of the time one out of two showers/toilets were closed in our building for some reason, but we were few people then so it was OK anyway.

Spa is really nice! Please update the 'how to get there' info on hostelworld. Hostelworld says it's 6 dollar with a shuttle from the train station. In fact you have to prearrange shuttles. I was lucky that one shuttle had 1 seat for me left, and it was 7 dollar.

It was a great relief to find such good quality accommodation after having had bad experiences at two other backpacker hostels in Christchurch. I would only stay at this venue in future.

• 30th Oct 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the Old Countryhouse. Staff was really helpfull. Hostel is nice and clean. (Even the radiators got cleaned!) Hottub and sauna were good. You can walk to the city centre, that takes 15 min. There are bars close and the supermarket is around the corner. Thnx guys, the best from the 2 dutchies :)

The bed was very comfortable, the room nice and warm and the toilet and bath facilities very tidy. On my first night the people outside the room were audible, but I could get to sleep without difficulty. The second night there was some giggling idiot watching something on his laptop in his bunk and at 1.30am the people outside were quite rowdy. My expectation of any accommodation is that first and foremost it is a place to sleep. House rules should reflect this. Perhaps I am getting old...

Comfortable accomodation, nice folks, convenient location.

• 12th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Spa, kitchen, bathrooms and dorms are lovely and very clean. However, I did find the walk from the city centre with my bags a bit of a struggle and wouldn't recommend it for a one night stay unless you have transportation. Also, would suggest earlier reception hours as almost every bus in NZ leaves before 8am. It is pretty pricey but I guess you get what you pay for.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We understand that the buses leave early in the morning and that is why we ask people what time they are leaving so they only have to drop thier key in the return box on the way out.

This was a great hostel. The most "homely" hostel I have stayed in in my 3months of travelling. The staff were extremely nice and the beds were the most sturdy bunk beds I've found in any hostel! If you're looking for a party hostel this is not one for you as it is quiet which was perfect for my 3days in Christchurch.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your kind words.

Very quiet hostel but was a great place if you want to chill in peace and quiet

View all Christchurch Hostels