The Old Countryhouse Reviews

437 Gloucester Street, Christchurch, New Zealand

This was a great hostel. The most "homely" hostel I have stayed in in my 3months of travelling. The staff were extremely nice and the beds were the most sturdy bunk beds I've found in any hostel! If you're looking for a party hostel this is not one for you as it is quiet which was perfect for my 3days in Christchurch.

Very quiet hostel but was a great place if you want to chill in peace and quiet

Bloody nice place to hang out in. Great kitchen.

• 1st May 2014
  • New Zealand

There weren't enough power outlets in the room. There was one outlet next to one bed. With most travelers carrying multiple electronic devices, this is not nearly enough. Otherwise the hostel is quite nice.

I had a really nice stay here. It is a social environment with neat facilities

I was a bit disappointed about the location because it was a good 30min walk from the bus terminal, and the description on the websites made it sound like it was quite close. I'm ok with walking that much, but not with the "surprise" effect.... All the facilities were good except for the lack of plugs in the room : 2 for a 8 people dorm. A multi-plug, even a cheap one, wold be a very nice service, and much appreciated i4m sure.

Thank you for reviewing us, your review score is a bit harsh so lets clarify we are 1500 meters from the centre of town and about 1000meters from the intercity bus stop. if you used the $1 naked bus they drop off at less convient spots around the city, they are cheap but... When we built the place people read books now most people have lots of electronic gadgets that they carry around and need to charge on a daily basis so we are working on it and most rooms have mutiplugs now. Andrew

really far from the city centre. but nice hostel otherwise.

It was a good hostel but the hours open are short, making it hard to get in if a have an evening flight into Christchurch they almost didn't let us in because we had a later flight

• 13th Mar 2014

Thank you for you review our Hostel hours are 9am to 8pm everyday then our staff get to go home and be with their families. Late night arrivals can be arranged for private rooms but not for dorms as nobody wants to be in a dorm when people come crashing in at 2am then 3am then 3;30am when they want to sleep. Hope this helps clarify the situation and you had agreat trip around NZ Kind regards Andrew

It was a perfect hostel! Everything was fine. The location is a bit far from the city center. But easy to walk. I really can recommend to stay in this hostel!

Spent one night here

• 4th Mar 2014

Great hostel with friendly staff and free wifi. No lockers in rooms, but very nice, comfortable place.

Me and my girlfriend decided to stay here for our first hostel in NZ. The main reason this hostel was horrible was because of the rudeness from the French ladies at reception that I had to deal with,Very angry and just plainly don't like their jobs(Tip-don't work in tourism) you want to be greeted with smiles and friendly attitudes. If you are French or German you will love this place! Positives are, reasonably clean, shops across the road and a spa bath. Social skills needed frenchies!! Aussie

Worst wifi ever.

No locker for the share room. It maked me very nervous.

• 20th Feb 2014
  • Thailand

Large hostel but broken out across 3 houses which makes it more homely. Clean with good facilities, only negative is that its a bit of a walk to CBD (approx 10 mins)

Really good and clean hostel with nice staff. Especially in summer its a great hostel with sauna and a lot of outdor space :)

Had a lovely time here, thanks :)

View all Christchurch Hostels