The Old Countryhouse Reviews

437 Gloucester Street, Christchurch, New Zealand

The bed was very comfortable, the room nice and warm and the toilet and bath facilities very tidy. On my first night the people outside the room were audible, but I could get to sleep without difficulty. The second night there was some giggling idiot watching something on his laptop in his bunk and at 1.30am the people outside were quite rowdy. My expectation of any accommodation is that first and foremost it is a place to sleep. House rules should reflect this. Perhaps I am getting old...

Comfortable accomodation, nice folks, convenient location.

• 12th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Spa, kitchen, bathrooms and dorms are lovely and very clean. However, I did find the walk from the city centre with my bags a bit of a struggle and wouldn't recommend it for a one night stay unless you have transportation. Also, would suggest earlier reception hours as almost every bus in NZ leaves before 8am. It is pretty pricey but I guess you get what you pay for.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We understand that the buses leave early in the morning and that is why we ask people what time they are leaving so they only have to drop thier key in the return box on the way out.

This was a great hostel. The most "homely" hostel I have stayed in in my 3months of travelling. The staff were extremely nice and the beds were the most sturdy bunk beds I've found in any hostel! If you're looking for a party hostel this is not one for you as it is quiet which was perfect for my 3days in Christchurch.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your kind words.

Very quiet hostel but was a great place if you want to chill in peace and quiet

Bloody nice place to hang out in. Great kitchen.

• 1st May 2014