The Old Countryhouse Reviews

437 Gloucester Street, Christchurch, New Zealand

I was a bit disappointed about the location because it was a good 30min walk from the bus terminal, and the description on the websites made it sound like it was quite close. I'm ok with walking that much, but not with the "surprise" effect.... All the facilities were good except for the lack of plugs in the room : 2 for a 8 people dorm. A multi-plug, even a cheap one, wold be a very nice service, and much appreciated i4m sure.

really far from the city centre. but nice hostel otherwise.

It was a good hostel but the hours open are short, making it hard to get in if a have an evening flight into Christchurch they almost didn't let us in because we had a later flight

• 13th Mar 2014

Spent one night here

• 4th Mar 2014

Great hostel with friendly staff and free wifi. No lockers in rooms, but very nice, comfortable place.

Me and my girlfriend decided to stay here for our first hostel in NZ. The main reason this hostel was horrible was because of the rudeness from the French ladies at reception that I had to deal with,Very angry and just plainly don't like their jobs(Tip-don't work in tourism) you want to be greeted with smiles and friendly attitudes. If you are French or German you will love this place! Positives are, reasonably clean, shops across the road and a spa bath. Social skills needed frenchies!! Aussie

Worst wifi ever.

No locker for the share room. It maked me very nervous.

• 20th Feb 2014
  • Thailand

Large hostel but broken out across 3 houses which makes it more homely. Clean with good facilities, only negative is that its a bit of a walk to CBD (approx 10 mins)

Really good and clean hostel with nice staff. Especially in summer its a great hostel with sauna and a lot of outdor space :)

Had a lovely time here, thanks :)

Lovely place, good atmosphere.

great place

• 1st Feb 2014
  • New Zealand

Just stayed there for one night, and had a good one. Beautiful place to chill out, easy access to the city, nice kitchen, bathrooms and bedrooms! Was quiet expensive though, $38 for a 6bed dorm. Oh and watch your food, I was preparing dinner around 7 and afterwards when I wanted to do the dishes and get my stuff the receptionist apparently took it away, so my breakfast for the week was gone. Pretty weird.

Very grumpy staff, every time you ask them something they look at you like your annoying them.

• 29th Jan 2014
  • British Virgin Islands

Kitchen was great however this did not compensate for the wifi that didn't work, the lack of security, lacklustre location and silly price! Also $3 just for paying on Visa?!?! OH and an 8pm cut off time for check in...

The german woman who works at the reception is definitely NOT a happy person... the hostel is clean, comfortable with good facilities.

The french manager was really rude. We got a 5 bedroom dorm instead of the 4 bedroom dorm we had booked and she wouldnt give us what we paid for and didnt seem to care that we were really unhappy espescally because it was our last night in NZ. Honestly, its a nice place. But if they dont know how to treat their customers they are working in the wrong job. I wouldnt recommend it to anyone who whants to have a pleasent and rememberal stay with a good atmosphere.

The hostel consists of 3 houses which are linked by a nice garden. I liked that it isn't one of the typical "city hostels". Rooms and facilities are in a good condition and clean. Staff were basically very nice and friendly. However there are some minus points for: - The "french" sounding receptionist that was always in a bad mood and unfriendly. - The missing sockets in our room (not a single one!) - The wifi wasn't working (looked like it hasn't been working for a long time already)

Very good hostel.