The Old Countryhouse Reviews

437 Gloucester Street, Christchurch, New Zealand

Home away from home feel... Keep coming back :)

• 5th Aug 2015
  • Sweden

I loved my stay here! The facilities are extremely clean, I was impressed! Comfortable beds, great kitchen area and lounge. Free wifi too! The staff was very friendly and welcoming. It's a little bit of a walk to the CBD but not too bad. Loved the spa as well. Would 100% stay here again when I'm in the area!

Lovely little hostel bit of a walk from town but didn't make much difference. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms and facilities were good. Sadly didn't see the famous Max!

Great little hostel, perfect for us as staying in Christchurch for a couple of days to see the sights-the walk into town was easy and took 10-15mins. Clean, tidy & had good facilities-all the basics. We stayed during winter (end of July) yet were perfectly comfortable and warm overnight. Used the hot pool once which was really nice. Staff were super helpful & friendly, we left early in the morning & forgot to check out the night before, yet they arranged a bank transfer to refund $20 deposit. :)

Great hostel, very quiet, very clean, even the dog is really friendly. Good showers, free wifi and free tea and coffee. The best one i've been in Christchurch, just a little more expensive than the others but totaly worth it.

• 15th Jul 2015
  • Uruguay

Good clean hostel.

Everything is fine and bathroom is clean. Great stay and recommended!

Interesting hostel, more like several small houses on one property. Fantastic kitchen/common room in the house I was in. Hot tub and sauna seemed to get lots of use. Bunk beds are lovely wood but very high. Two outlets for an 8-bed doom is sad, but free and fast WiFi makes up for it. Bit of a walk to Christchurch center, but not too bad. I'd stay here again.

Very clean and cozy. But only two bathrooms for 16 people.

I loved this hostel! Its exactly as it sounds - a cosy,old country house feel,but with modern facilities! City is 15mins walk.I stayed in House 1,big spacious dorm room and also tv room,kitchen etc. I loved the personal touches like fresh eggs, a travellers cookbook and many other things. The sauna was great - didn't try the spa pool! I ended up staying 3 nights - and for the 3rd night I moved to House 2 - still nice but no communal tv area which made the kitchen a bit cramped. Would recommend!

The hostel looks great and feels great. It's very spacious with loads of facilities which are all in excellent state. The downside is the location: it's a pretty long walk into town, which I had previously estimated to be shorter, so that was a big disappointment. It is also a relatively expensive hostel, which might be worth it if you use all the facilities, but if you leave early morning as I did, it doesn't really way up.

First time I've seen doors in a hostel being washed down with soap and water, was my initial impression of the hostel. I've never met staff who tried so hard to keep a hostel clean. Very friendly. Really beautiful little garden area and buildings. One of the most impressive I've stayed in. Only slight drawback (which wasn't for me, but might be for some) was that the hostel wasn't in city centre. In nice quiet little neighbourhood with amenites but 1/2 hr. walk from most things.

It's a beautiful location with a really nice garden to hang out, porches in case of rain and even a jacuzy free of charge. Very nice to stay, relax and explore the city.

Fantastic hostel with a great location. I especially loved the wooden bunk beds, they didn't make any noise whats. A lot of hostels can learn a thing or two from TOC. When I'm in Christchurch again I'll definitely stay here for a second time.

Comfiest backpackers, legit free wifi, do note the spa is not warm enough in the morning in the rain when you are hungover

View all Christchurch Hostels