The Old Countryhouse Reviews

437 Gloucester Street, Christchurch, New Zealand

I thought the hostel was beautiful and cozy!

• 30th Jan 2016

I was only in Christchurch for one night, but the staff was very accommodating and friendly to my late check-in and very early check-out. This place provided everything I needed before I flew out of Christchurch airport the next morning.

Really great hostel - well run and nice hot tub :)

Great little hostel. Really friendly staff. Highly recommended. Just be aware its not in central christchurch but no more than a 20 minute walk into the centre.

Place is beautiful and the staff were great, very helpful. Not too centric though, and there is no breakfast.

• 7th Jan 2016
  • Spain

Not as central as advertised and not much atmosphere as the curtains are pulled shut mid afternoon by staff - ???? Top bunks don't have safety bars / kitchen well set up but needs more clean cloths to dry dishes - not the best hostel I've stayed at

Really accommodating staff. The location isn't in the center of anything major, but there are a few stores and restaurants within walking distance. Hostel was really clean and well kept. Semi friendly atmosphere with the other travelers, Internet was by far the fastest I had across New Zealand. As a tip, make sure you tell the staff you're checking out early, otherwise you'll lose $20 on the key deposit.

The hostel is clean and with good facilities. Location is okay as it has a supermarket almost next door and 20 min walk to the city center. Would have been good to have some more power sockets as we only had 2 for 6 people.

Beautiful place with an mazing courtyard where you can socialise with people. Awesome staff and atmosphere.

Great staff, nice showers, good atmosphere, excellent kitchen!!

Nice beds and rooms. Big hostel. Nice and chilled. No plug/power sockets in my room however which was a bit odd. About a 20 min walk to town. Clean hostel and helpful staff encountered. Free wifi and decent showers.

Great and clean! Awesome space to unwind. They have a sauna and even hot tub! Cute place. Highly recommend it.

I was very well taken care of though my stay was a short one. The jacuzzi was helpful in releasing my tiredness after a long bus ride from Queenstown. The initiative from the staff to arrange for a taxi to the bus station for my next morning trip was greatly appreciated.

• 4th Dec 2015
  • Singapore

The staff at the front desk were very friendly and helpful about things to see in Christchurch. The hostel is a bit outside of the city center, but still within walking distance and there is a bus stop right in front of the hostel that will take you to the bus terminal. The rooms lacked outlets, but all of the other facilities were great. I especially liked the large laundry room with a washing sink and plenty of room to hang dry clothes as well.

Really good hostel! Aside from the long-ish walk into the city, (it's not that bad - but you can take the bus if you're impatient like me) it was one of the best hostels I stayed at in NZ. The staff was amazing and super helpful / friendly. Free wifi is always a plus. Very quiet and cute.

A very comfortable and well equipped hostel. Staff very pleasant and helpful. I woluld recommend this hostel.

Loved our stay here and got lots of use out of the hot tub! Clean rooms and good kitchen. Highly recommend

Amazing hostel, great staff, very welcoming and accommodating. Great environment and ways to meet other travelers. Good free wifi

Great free unlimited WiFi throughout hostel, nice idea of almost small self contained houses, bit of a walk into though and more power points would be great

View all Christchurch Hostels