The Old Countryhouse Reviews

437 Gloucester Street, Christchurch, New Zealand

Comfortable accomodation, nice folks, convenient location.

• 12th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Spa, kitchen, bathrooms and dorms are lovely and very clean. However, I did find the walk from the city centre with my bags a bit of a struggle and wouldn't recommend it for a one night stay unless you have transportation. Also, would suggest earlier reception hours as almost every bus in NZ leaves before 8am. It is pretty pricey but I guess you get what you pay for.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We understand that the buses leave early in the morning and that is why we ask people what time they are leaving so they only have to drop thier key in the return box on the way out.

This was a great hostel. The most "homely" hostel I have stayed in in my 3months of travelling. The staff were extremely nice and the beds were the most sturdy bunk beds I've found in any hostel! If you're looking for a party hostel this is not one for you as it is quiet which was perfect for my 3days in Christchurch.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your kind words.

Very quiet hostel but was a great place if you want to chill in peace and quiet

Bloody nice place to hang out in. Great kitchen.

• 1st May 2014
  • New Zealand

There weren't enough power outlets in the room. There was one outlet next to one bed. With most travelers carrying multiple electronic devices, this is not nearly enough. Otherwise the hostel is quite nice.

I had a really nice stay here. It is a social environment with neat facilities

I was a bit disappointed about the location because it was a good 30min walk from the bus terminal, and the description on the websites made it sound like it was quite close. I'm ok with walking that much, but not with the "surprise" effect.... All the facilities were good except for the lack of plugs in the room : 2 for a 8 people dorm. A multi-plug, even a cheap one, wold be a very nice service, and much appreciated i4m sure.

Thank you for reviewing us, your review score is a bit harsh so lets clarify we are 1500 meters from the centre of town and about 1000meters from the intercity bus stop. if you used the $1 naked bus they drop off at less convient spots around the city, they are cheap but... When we built the place people read books now most people have lots of electronic gadgets that they carry around and need to charge on a daily basis so we are working on it and most rooms have mutiplugs now. Andrew

View all Christchurch Hostels