The Old Countryhouse Reviews

437 Gloucester Street, Christchurch, New Zealand

Great place - it's just quite a way out of the city center. The plus for location is that there are food shops and convenient stores around. The place has nice vibe. Internet is a bit slow during peak night time. Be aware.

I stayed one night at there. It's little bit far from the city center, but you can use bus to get there. There is supermarket just one minute from hostel and also some restraunts. It was really good stay:)

Not your standard hostel. about 10 minutes away from the city center. Lovely place, nice garden and a very clean place. A good place to recoop yourself if you just been to crazy Queenstown.

very friendly and helpful staff. bit over priced for dorm room though.

Best place to stay in Christchurch. Super friendly staff. The houses and gardens are beautiful. Rooms are comfortable and common areas are tidy and clean. Would stay here again.

Very friendly staff, nice dorms (it's nice to have proper wooden bunks rather than the metal rubbish). Showers, kitchen etc were good. Unfortunately we had some noisy neighbors but that is always going to happen from time to time,

• 6th Feb 2015

Clean, reasonable location. Be aware that they will force you into a private room for 70 bucks if you have the audacity to arrive after 8pm. This was certainly not clear to me when booking. However otherwise a good hostel with plenty of bathrooms, good space in dorms, clean kitchen.

It is located quite far from city center. Allow yourself at least 30 minutes to walk there. No fan in the room (luckily that Christchurch is not hot during summer, but sometimes during the day staying inside the room can be a nightmare). No shelf to stock your personal belongings. It is overrated compared to the overall quality.

Really nice hostel although a little far out from the main city. If you're a walker, it's fine but if you prefer to be in the middle of a city, it's more on the outskirts. It's clean and provides everything you need with an awesome atmosphere. It was always buzzy but without being intrusive at night time. Had a lovely stay here although make sure you get a good shower!Heads up to people thinking of staying a while- there's not much to do in Christchurch, I would suggest a maximum of two nights!

Very pleasant garden and room very clean

• 18th Jan 2015

Hi Jerome, Thank you for your time to review our hostel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Great hostel clean kitchen, bathrooms, beds. Nice spa outside as a bonus!! The staff are wonderful, there was a mix up with our key and they came back afterwards to sort us out. Big negative though they don't let you check into the dorms after 8pm which was a massive pain as we got stuck in traffic and had to upgrade to a private and pay double.

I booked the 4 bed mixed dorm. They have a really spacious kitchen, great toilet and shower facilities and a Lounge area that has t.v and wifi which was perfect. The staff at reception were so friendly and welcoming and very knowledgeable about the area and were more than willing to give you any advice or help. The location for me was not bad at all but if you are not one for walking for long periods of time you may not enjoy it so much. Over all really good stay :)

• 9th Jan 2015

The location sucks and it’s a good 45 min walk from city center. However, the block area has good, cheap grocery/food stops. The facilities are average. Kitchen, sauna, bathrooms are ok. The rooms/beds are below average with limited power points. The wifi is decent with good room coverage. Weak atmosphere, more a place to crash while you explore. The staff are fantastic here though with legit local insight and recommendations to offer. Very helpful.

Nice, spacious hostel with spa pool and garden. 10-15 minutes walk to town center.

Comfortable hostel with great facilities :) :) :)

Great to hear you have enjoyed the little extras, so our guests can enjoy a relaxing and comfortable stay.

the soa is really nice and the dorms are clean. i put a bad price rate as they in my opinion missuse their late night policy. i understand the fact they don`t want to let the people in very late but 9pm is really tooearly, 99% of the people are still awake at 10 or 11 pm. and the fact that they charge 120 dollar for a standart private room without shower and bathroom ist just too much. as you can`t cancel your booking any more you are more or less forced to upgrade to a ridicolouse overpriced ro

Note: I'd have rated it all Excellent if I had been in the dorms. The dorms are fantastic. This rating is based on "The Cottage" which is a room stuck on its own. It smells like mould (I felt ill each morning) and you have to walk outside to the other houses to use the bathroom. I told staff about the mould - they told me they'd check into it, but didn't give me a follow-up. So don't rent that room (it's labeled a "twin private" and is definitely not worth the price).

Really nice hostel. Kept nice and clean. Excellent facilities. A little bit of a walk to the city but not too bad. Would definately stay here again if I come back to Christchurch.

Thanks for your feedback. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. Yes, unfortunately, we can't do nothing about the 1500 metres walk to the city centre, but are so lucky to have a bus stop in front of the hostel. Please do visit us again next time you are in Christchurch.

great hostel. friendly staff excellent facilities. amazing spa :)

We love it when people enjoy the hostel, our company and make the most of enjoying our great facilities. Can't beat a lazy afternoon in the sun on the big bean bag pillows...

I had a nice stay. Very helpful staff. Very low key and respectful environment.

• 29th Dec 2014

Thank you for taking a moment to comment your recent stay with us, and thanks for commenting on our staff. They are the ones that make make a great hostel. I will pass your comments onto them. Cheers and perhaps we will see you again next time you are in Christchurch?

View all Christchurch Hostels