The Old Countryhouse Reviews

437 Gloucester Street, Christchurch, New Zealand

Lovely little hostel bit of a walk from town but didn't make much difference. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms and facilities were good. Sadly didn't see the famous Max!

• 31st Jul 2015
  • MeganRaw

Great hostel, very quiet, very clean, even the dog is really friendly. Good showers, free wifi and free tea and coffee. The best one i've been in Christchurch, just a little more expensive than the others but totaly worth it.

• 15th Jul 2015
  • Uruguay

Good clean hostel.

Everything is fine and bathroom is clean. Great stay and recommended!

Interesting hostel, more like several small houses on one property. Fantastic kitchen/common room in the house I was in. Hot tub and sauna seemed to get lots of use. Bunk beds are lovely wood but very high. Two outlets for an 8-bed doom is sad, but free and fast WiFi makes up for it. Bit of a walk to Christchurch center, but not too bad. I'd stay here again.

Very clean and cozy. But only two bathrooms for 16 people.

I loved this hostel! Its exactly as it sounds - a cosy,old country house feel,but with modern facilities! City is 15mins walk.I stayed in House 1,big spacious dorm room and also tv room,kitchen etc. I loved the personal touches like fresh eggs, a travellers cookbook and many other things. The sauna was great - didn't try the spa pool! I ended up staying 3 nights - and for the 3rd night I moved to House 2 - still nice but no communal tv area which made the kitchen a bit cramped. Would recommend!

The hostel looks great and feels great. It's very spacious with loads of facilities which are all in excellent state. The downside is the location: it's a pretty long walk into town, which I had previously estimated to be shorter, so that was a big disappointment. It is also a relatively expensive hostel, which might be worth it if you use all the facilities, but if you leave early morning as I did, it doesn't really way up.

First time I've seen doors in a hostel being washed down with soap and water, was my initial impression of the hostel. I've never met staff who tried so hard to keep a hostel clean. Very friendly. Really beautiful little garden area and buildings. One of the most impressive I've stayed in. Only slight drawback (which wasn't for me, but might be for some) was that the hostel wasn't in city centre. In nice quiet little neighbourhood with amenites but 1/2 hr. walk from most things.

It's a beautiful location with a really nice garden to hang out, porches in case of rain and even a jacuzy free of charge. Very nice to stay, relax and explore the city.

Fantastic hostel with a great location. I especially loved the wooden bunk beds, they didn't make any noise whats. A lot of hostels can learn a thing or two from TOC. When I'm in Christchurch again I'll definitely stay here for a second time.

Comfiest backpackers, legit free wifi, do note the spa is not warm enough in the morning in the rain when you are hungover

Great hostel to get us started in New Zealand. Clean rooms, big & well equipped kitchen, and clean bathrooms. It's a bit of a walk into town (20-30 min) but not a major problem. Bedroom walls were thin so noise travels, but largely it was a pretty quiet hostel so not a big problem.

Great place - it's just quite a way out of the city center. The plus for location is that there are food shops and convenient stores around. The place has nice vibe. Internet is a bit slow during peak night time. Be aware.

Too expensive, regarding all the people in one room.

• 21st Feb 2015
  • Norway

Really good hostel, especially the yard was nice. We enjoyed staying there.

• 21st Feb 2015
  • Finland

I stayed one night at there. It's little bit far from the city center, but you can use bus to get there. There is supermarket just one minute from hostel and also some restraunts. It was really good stay:)

It is over rated for the price. Bed were'nt really confortable. Still a nice hostel. There's a spa, wich is really nice.

Not your standard hostel. about 10 minutes away from the city center. Lovely place, nice garden and a very clean place. A good place to recoop yourself if you just been to crazy Queenstown.

very friendly and helpful staff. bit over priced for dorm room though.

View all Christchurch Hostels