The Old Swan Barracks Reviews

6 Francis St, Northbridge, Perth, Australia

Excellent location! Unfortunately this place needs a good top-to-bottom clean. It's very run-down and has a creepy atmosphere. The beds, carpets, furniture, etc are all decades old. The wifi is only free for the first hour and security is poor. A place like this would go out of business almost instantly Europe.

The establishment has improved a lot in the last two years. The staff seem friendlier.My only real concernis that it is often difficult to get a drink at the bar, You often have to wait there for an inordinate time before a bar person shows up,

My 6 bed dorm room was ridiculously hot. Seems to be a lot of people living there who work in Perth. I spent the majority of my few days in Perth out and about so I luckily never had to put up with it too much. There is no free WiFi, you only get 1 hour per day with your stay. For $30 I did not find this value for money. Having travelled the East Coast, I expected a lot more for $30.

This Hostel does not deserve this name. It's far away from the standards of any European hostel. Very dirty, smelly, unconfortable, old and disgusting. Free wifi only one hour a day and really bad. Paid wifi with insanely high price. Maybe it was good 15 years ago... but not now. Some investment needed urgently.

Hi,i did stay only one night at old swan,and the room,a 6beds dorm female only was soooo small that i couldnt even open my backpack proprely. The lockers are way to small for a traveller's backpack! The bathroom! Waaaaw....super dirty,when you take a shower you put water on your towel and clothes,again too small! Really not pratical. The girl (pretty small,long hair,blond ish) was really nice. Anyway,i wont stay at this Backpackers again. And you have to rent everything you for cooking!!

• 5th Feb 2015

It was advertised that there was nightly entertainment but that wasn't the case. The reception staff didn't no the answer to many of my questions (mainly about the local area). Overall I didn't believe the advertisement matched up to the hostle itself.

• 17th Jan 2015

Security - poor, anyone can easily enter whole facility. Room doors are fragile Location - great, near CAT bus stop, near to the City Staff - easy goin & helpfull Atmosphere - like on the party Cleanliness - despite the announced daily vacuuming of rooms, there was none. Sofas in common area hides under pillows a lot of rubbish Facilities - nothing exceptional, guaranteed breakfast is more than poor

• 15th Jan 2015
  • Poland

Location can't be beaten. Staff are good

They advertise free wifi but you only get 1 hours worth per day which is very inconvenient when your wanting to search for jobs online!

• 2nd Jan 2015

Only stayed here for three nights and didn' venture around the city a lot, but for us the location was alright. Be aware that if you're travelling with a car, the hostel's parking spots are not for free! We weren't told about that when making the booking and had to find this out as we arrived. The bathrooms were alright, but the showerheads could have been fixed a little higher for the taller ones among us. The staff were nice, but not very helpful when asked about local recommendations.

• 30th Dec 2014

No byo alcohol or outside drinking, so no atmosphere whatsoever.

• 18th Dec 2014

Good location, clean room, helpful staff. Really don't have anything to complain about. Of course it was very noisy at night, being in Northbridge so I didn't get much sleep but I survived.

The Old Swan Barracks is a clean place with good staff and a very good location. There is absolutely no atmosphere, you need to give deposits for every single thing you need and the bathrooms are not convenient. The bedrooms are very basic and rather narrow for the average hostel but very clean and taken care of. I paid 30 dollars for a night in the weekdays and I think it was not worth it.

Although we were aware you were not allowed to bring alcohol in the hostels we had a bottle of vodka in our room. One of the reception staff came in the room, saw the vodka took it and poured it down the sink. When asked if we could have it back she was very rude and smug in telling us what she had done with it. Clean sheets provided but matress protecter not cleaned in months, bed bug bites all over my body :/

The communal areas were always busy with lots going on in the evening so the atmosphere was generally good. The rooms however were really quite dirty. Layers of dust along the skirting boards and edges of the carpet. The dorm door locked but was relatively loose so wouldn't be difficult to gain entry. The metal frames on each of the bunks in the dorm were damaged and some missing. Although I liked the atmosphere, I wouldn't choose to stay here again

• 27th Nov 2014

Unfortunately it was the worst hostel I stayed in during my stay in Australia (2 years). Messy and very dirty, especially the bathrooms. Friendly staff though.

Convenient to museum

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Couple, 41+

was only one night stay. we had so nice night. Me and my friend got there so late. The roommates had turned the light off. just so sorry to wake them up because we were so anoying.

Nice, big hostel in a good location with large communal areas and kitchen. The large militant type lockers were really handy in the dorms, and the free breakfast is as you would expect. Only very few bathrooms for a lot of people, but luckily I didn't queue. Good place to meet people, though quite a few are long term-ers working (but you'll get that anywhere), would recommend to stay here!

Really dirty. Needs cleaning