The Old Swan Barracks Reviews

6 Francis St, Northbridge, Perth, Western Australia, Australia

You get what you pay for which is an average hostel with good spacious rooms, good kitchen, great atmosphere. Unfortunately the showers are few and the pressure in them is baaad. Our room only had one fan so it was boiling! One of the guys in the room complained about bedbugs but i didn't see any...

I'm still here! I always stay in swans when in Perth. It's right in the centre of northbridge so perfect for nightlife and city is just over the train station, clean, fun, friendly. No problems! Also has kool nights like pizza night, pool night, burger and chips for 3 dollars. Love this place! Ooo now free wifi for an hour aswell bonus!

Initially in reception there were people on drugs stealing drinks from the fridges! I was going to say something but i chose not too because they were still there and i was worried about my safety. Then a few of these people were in my dorm room! The room was so hot, you couldn't open the window and the fan didn't help. I chose to stay at a friends house in Perth instead of the dirty and dangerous hostel. I was refused a refund and offered credit to return another time!

• 28th Feb 2014

I had a single room that had once been a corridor, connecting doors Not sound proof. Toilets showers not so clean and the kitchen with no pots and pans[ you get these from the front desk, and they look none too clean either] For what it is it is expensive, can do better than this at another place

Absolutely loved this hostel, planned to stay for 1 night- stayed a week. Can't believe we wasted our time in other hostels in Perth. Great free breakfast, ping pong, pool table, $3 burger and chips on Thursday, plenty of showers. All the staff were very welcoming. Well worth the money :-)

• 24th Feb 2014

Nice hostel. 1 hour of free WiFi per day. Unfortunately No milk for breakfast. Airconditioning a bit too cold and horrible mattress. Friendly staff. I recommend a stay!

• 22nd Feb 2014

Unfirndly staff, dirty as a rat hole, smelly dorms and no good facilities. I've been sleeping at a lot of hostels over the years but this takes the price. Had booked four nights but stayed just one, couln't stand the smell any more.

Nice staff, good location. Not much going on there though, a bit too quiet for me

Not that clean in the kitchens and food area. Not enough space for people to store their food. The front desk charge me in my own currency instead of aus$ with a lousy rate even though I asked them to use dollars.

• 31st Jan 2014
  • Sweden

The hallway where my room was situated had a strong sour smell coming from it. The room I shared has a strong bad smell coming from it and it was dirty and unitidy. When I reported these two things the staff member on duty did not do anything or attempt to sort something out. The building is run down and is need of a major re decoration/ refurbishment. I have spent some time in a number of back packers hostels during my trip but this one has to be the worst I have experienced.

• 28th Jan 2014

Horrible smell in the dorm and overall filthy. Lots of long-termers. My guess is the cleaning staff didn't care anymore.

Inexperienced staff at reception, no sightseeing tips, e.g. that there are free buses around Perth. Not enough fridges for customers to store food properly. No aircon, mosquito nets are not fastened to window rims correctly, so they are of no use.

The only downside of this hostel is that the exterior doens't match the interior. Other than that, it's a fine hostel and I would visit it again!

Everything very good except facilities for free wi-fi.

I booked a room to myself for $50. It turned out to have two doors that were nailed shut and I could hear people on the other side. The bathrooms were ok but they were on the other side of the wall. So I didn't get much sleep. But the staff were friendly and it's an amazing old building.

• 7th Jan 2014

This was a big hostel nicely located in a historical building. It is clearly a large operation, though, so there are some things that fall through the cracks. The rooms lock but are kept open. The keys and locks are only available with a large deposit. It was chilly at night and my bed had no blanket (though it was meant to). Rules about mess, alcohol, quiet hours, etc, are not enforced. "Conditions apply" to wifi use and the charge for computers is huge. Not too bad, but overall disappointing.

Very big public place.

• 30th Dec 2013
  • China

Nice architecture building with a huge potential Former barracks should keep more discipline and hygiene Very friendly staff and a cute parrot

• 26th Dec 2013

It was a very nice hostel, clean and everypne was reall friendly. The only think I have to complain is the shower as the water which was coming out was really less.

• 18th Dec 2013

Nice room, nice hostel, good location. Very near the train station and the blue cat bus route. A bit noisy at night outside but that's to be expected in northbridge. Just bring some earplugs :-).