The Old Swan Barracks Reviews

6 Francis St, Northbridge, Perth, Australia

terrible bd, hot hot hot, small fan with 40 + C outside, no proper window, so very noisy outside and because of lack of proper window: difficult to sleep. Great location, but that s about it.

• 9th Feb 2016

Poor - foam mattress, room dirty, bathroom small and dirty, limited facilities. The only good thing was that the bed was made on arrival.

• 7th Feb 2016

Thanks for your comments. All of our mattresses are quality inner spring mattresses, but are maintainence team are checking out the mattress to see if it needs replacing. We are also looking in to the cleaning issues raised. I am surprised you found we had limited facilities.. we have a great cheap bar with pool tables, ping pong tables, foxtel, 1hr free wifi per day, computers, printing facilities, free breakfast, laundry facilities, car parking and our 24hr reception desk sells drinks and snacks. We also have 2 kitchens, and 2 dedicated TV rooms and we are very centrally located. Good luck with your travels.. :)

After arriving in Perth in the early hours of the morning from Queenstown we hung around in the airport for a while knowing check in wasn't until 1pm. At twelve pm we asked for an early check in which was declined even though she told us our beds were empty. We found the majority of the staff rude and unhelpful and feel this is because we are 'just backpackers'. So.. apparently breakfast is included. This is the case if you want dry cereal and tea and coffee with no milk as milk wasn't included!

• 5th Feb 2016

Thanks for your comments. We can appreciate that you were very tired from your overnight flight, but as you have acknowledged check in time is from 1pm. We need time between check out and check in to clean the rooms. If your room was ready/clean, we would have happily checked you in early. We do provide a basic free breakfast, it consists of toast, tea/coffee. Not all hostels do this, but its an extra service we like to provide. :) Good luck with your travels... :)

there idea of air conditioning is a small fan mounted on the wall, i was there during the heat wave where for 4 days straight it was 40 plus degrees. internet only worked downstairs, had to have own locks for lockers, bathrooms always filthy

• 4th Feb 2016

Thanks for your comments. I have checked your booking, and you had actually booked a NON air-conditioned room. These rooms do come with fans. We also have air-conditioned rooms available, for $1 extra a night. We would have happily put you in one of these rooms, had you asked. Our free wifi is available in our huge common area/bar area. As for the lockers, it is pretty common practice to supply your own padlocks for lockers. This provides better security as only you have the key. Our bathrooms are cleaned 3 times daily, but we will look at improving this. Thanks :)

I never ever saw horrible place that this

Without further information, it is hard to reply to your comments. After speaking to other staff members, we don't believe you have brought any issues regarding your stay, to our attention. So that makes it difficult to solve any issues you may have had. Good luck with your travels.. :)

The place was great.

• 17th Dec 2015

I think the old swan barracks is a very good hostel, the staff is very nice and I met alot of cool people there. Everything was okay, but sometimes the hyginiec wasnt very good, but I think it is hard to clean out everything. So all in all it was a very nice stay and I would go there again :)

• 16th Dec 2015

Such an amazing venue for a hostel, with so much room in the old barracks. Friendly staff and a good atmosphere. However, the hostel misses the mark in terms of food facilities. No plates or cutlery are provided and the kitchen is very out of the way. Open the door to the common room!

Nothing to be enjoyed. Probably ok when you are drunk. Small, smelly and hot dorm rooms with old bunk beds. Left one night earlier to go and a joy myself in a hotel.

• 14th Dec 2015

Good hang out area, very clean, nice staff. Roomdoor could have been locked, but people in my room never bothered, which was a bit annoying. You can get dishes (plate, bowl, fork, knife, spoon, cup) for a deposit, have to leave room key for a pan or pot. Met wonderful people and had a good time! Location is perfect, takes no time to get into town.

a bit run but good overall. WIFI is limited to one hour per night which sucks. The Library with free WiFi is just 5 mins away but still its annoying to walk there each day for internet

Common area very nice. Expensive bar

Thanks for your great rating! :) ... although i am confused about the comments about our bar - I am guessing your meant "inexpensive bar" .. as we would easily have one of the cheapest bars in perth. Our pints start from $6! Super cheap! :) We are glad you liked our hostel and hope to see you again.

Room was not made up when we arrived late in evening. staff were very good and handled situation well. Bathroom was not very clean. On the positive side, bed was very comfy, free bus just around the corner, helpful staff and a convenient location.

I my key in room and staff gave me another without confirming who I was. The hostel smells of teenage boy locker room. All the staff have been friendly and helpful

The location of this place was very good it was only a 7 to 10 minute walk to the port to take you to South Perth where the zoo is located. It's only a block or two blocks away from James Street where all the bars are. Definitely recommend it, although it is heavily populated by workers who work in the mines and in the oil rigs ,definitely worth the $20 that I spent for the night.

Too big vary noisy.

This was my first time staying in a hostel of this scale. I couldn't believe how many people there were! I stayed in a 6 bed dorm and from the moment I walked in I knew it wasn't the place for me. The others in the room has stuff strewn everywhere and one person had claimed two lockers. The beds were creaky and made noise all night long. It wasn't terrible but not a place I'd stay again.

My room was good but I could not sleep at all because it was way too noisy at the hostel. The door of the toilet was broken so you really needed to push it hard in. And because my room was right next to it I woke up every time someone does that. Also my key locker was broke, that was annoying. So I would wish for the future for that hostel to repair their doors and to get a quiet time. And also I was shocked when I saw the poor bird living in that dirty empty cage in the hallway all alone,cruel!

• 31st Oct 2015

Very friendly and sooo helpful stuff - thank you soooo much.

Thanks for your review. We hope to see you again soon. :)

My stay at The Old Swan Barrack was a good decision because I enjoyed it a lot .The staff are very friendly and the cleaning team does a very good job to keep the hostel tidy specially the bathroom. I stayed in a private room and it was very convenient.

• 2nd Oct 2015

Thanks for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. :)