The Old Swan Barracks Reviews

6 Francis St, Northbridge, Perth, Australia

Great place to stay. Doesn't look very barracks-y tho. Staff were nice. Bathroom wasn't the cleanest in the world but I think that's because some inconsiderate guest left his hair from shaving all over the basin - but the bathroom still wasn't cleaned by the next morning - some people just abuse the facilities I think. Enjoyed my stay, met some nice people. Will deff stay again!

I had really good stay at The old swan barracks. The location was very close to Perth station and easy to explore the whole city. All of staffs were friendly and helpful. The kitchen and dining hall were really huge. Highly recommended for everyone who plan to visit Perth.

Nice hostel, very central and close to a lot of restaurants. A bit dirty but no more than you'd expect in a hostel. Staff was nice, some more friendly than others but all very helpful. Facilities a bit difficult to find at first but nice when I did find them. Would recommend!

• 2nd Aug 2014
  • Sweden

Mattress had more springs in it than padding. Showers on the wall barely put out any water - you had to practically hug the wall to get the water on your body. General overall grotty old feel to the hostel. Even if it is an old place it could have been better.

• 31st Jul 2014
  • New Zealand

Not much of an atmosphere but that’s to be expected as it seemed quiet and in the off season. My stay exceeded expectations with staff extremely helpful and accommodating, especially the gentleman who seemed to be the general handyman/cleaner. I will defiantly book again when I next visit Perth.

• 30th Jul 2014

Broken windows, broken light bulbs, bunk bed along windows without safety bars, ... the place does not seem to have been renovated for years. Laundry room is really bad. BUT price is good and location is great -- and there is no bad crowd hanging there. The atmosphere is rather safe.

• 29th Jul 2014

I didn't like the terrible smell in the room and I was freezing whole the night.

• 23rd Jul 2014
  • Czech Republic

Hostel was great fun. You meet so many people and everyone is sound! I'd recommend it!

• 22nd Jul 2014

I didnt really like this place. I was tired when I arrived and didn't feel very welcomed. The rooms are big and its just by the museums.

The hostel also takes on workers staying for the long term. Great staff and right in the middle of it all. Good place if you're in Perth,

The hostel location is great and they have parking which is a bonus. The reception was very accommodating. The only downside is the fact that we were given a key to the room and it would take us over 5 minutes to get the door open, after going to reception though they provided us with a better key. The bar area is huge and they seem to have awesome deals on food which is always a bonus.

• 12th Jun 2014

Lack of cleanliness in kitchens due to guests not staff. Staff very helpful. Location right in centre of Perth.

• 2nd Jun 2014
  • New Zealand
  • Couple, 41+

Could use cleaning of carpets. More bathrooms. More electric outlets in public area/s.

• 24th May 2014

A big hostel, so hard to make friends. Good accomodations and nice staff. Perfect location near all restaurants bars and clubs

• 2nd May 2014

Not enough bathrooms and they are dirty. Great common area, good kitchens.

I liked the hostel,the place was clean and great location. However, I found the staff not to be helpful at all. At checking in, the guy did not explain where the toilets/showers were, where to go for the free breakfast, where the TV room was, anything. And when checking out, I met the rudest girl ever on reception. She knew I was in a rush to the airport and stood talking to her friends,made me run around getting sheets and made me put them away, rolling her eyes and grabbing my money.

Everything is old and sometimes brocken, e.g the chairs at the TVA Room,my bed. and the aircon in my room

• 14th Apr 2014

You get what you pay for which is an average hostel with good spacious rooms, good kitchen, great atmosphere. Unfortunately the showers are few and the pressure in them is baaad. Our room only had one fan so it was boiling! One of the guys in the room complained about bedbugs but i didn't see any...

many people stay there, a good place to meet friends! They only provide one hour free wifi, and require people to pay deposit for everything... maybe something bad happened before. Facilities are enough for all backpackers. Not bad and I may stay there again if I go back to perth someday

I'm still here! I always stay in swans when in Perth. It's right in the centre of northbridge so perfect for nightlife and city is just over the train station, clean, fun, friendly. No problems! Also has kool nights like pizza night, pool night, burger and chips for 3 dollars. Love this place! Ooo now free wifi for an hour aswell bonus!