The Old Swan Barracks Reviews

6 Francis St, Northbridge, Perth, Australia

Location can't be beaten. Staff are good

They advertise free wifi but you only get 1 hours worth per day which is very inconvenient when your wanting to search for jobs online!

• 2nd Jan 2015

No byo alcohol or outside drinking, so no atmosphere whatsoever.

• 18th Dec 2014

Good location, clean room, helpful staff. Really don't have anything to complain about. Of course it was very noisy at night, being in Northbridge so I didn't get much sleep but I survived.

• 12th Dec 2014
  • Sweden

The Old Swan Barracks is a clean place with good staff and a very good location. There is absolutely no atmosphere, you need to give deposits for every single thing you need and the bathrooms are not convenient. The bedrooms are very basic and rather narrow for the average hostel but very clean and taken care of. I paid 30 dollars for a night in the weekdays and I think it was not worth it.

Although we were aware you were not allowed to bring alcohol in the hostels we had a bottle of vodka in our room. One of the reception staff came in the room, saw the vodka took it and poured it down the sink. When asked if we could have it back she was very rude and smug in telling us what she had done with it. Clean sheets provided but matress protecter not cleaned in months, bed bug bites all over my body :/

The communal areas were always busy with lots going on in the evening so the atmosphere was generally good. The rooms however were really quite dirty. Layers of dust along the skirting boards and edges of the carpet. The dorm door locked but was relatively loose so wouldn't be difficult to gain entry. The metal frames on each of the bunks in the dorm were damaged and some missing. Although I liked the atmosphere, I wouldn't choose to stay here again

• 27th Nov 2014

Unfortunately it was the worst hostel I stayed in during my stay in Australia (2 years). Messy and very dirty, especially the bathrooms. Friendly staff though.

Convenient to museum

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Couple, 41+

was only one night stay. we had so nice night. Me and my friend got there so late. The roommates had turned the light off. just so sorry to wake them up because we were so anoying.

Nice, big hostel in a good location with large communal areas and kitchen. The large militant type lockers were really handy in the dorms, and the free breakfast is as you would expect. Only very few bathrooms for a lot of people, but luckily I didn't queue. Good place to meet people, though quite a few are long term-ers working (but you'll get that anywhere), would recommend to stay here!

Really dirty. Needs cleaning

• 24th Sep 2014

For what I paid (private room paid for 2 ppl though only 1 staying) I did expect a bit more comfort ie an electric jug in my room. Overall my stay was ok but that was more due to the people and location than anything. The disappointment I had was how threadbare the place looked etc. The bathrooms are seriously in need of updating no urinals in mens bathroom in section I stayed in. Plus for size of Hostel the bathroom size was not near adequate for amount of people staying same with kitchen.

• 21st Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Good experience, big hostel

The Old Swan Barrak has a very good postition but the quality of the cleaning in very low. I don't know if I'll come back.

• 2nd Sep 2014

Its really dirty there. And there is no free wifi!!!! Only one hour a day and it doesnt work really. The staff is not really nice. And the breakfast was really bad. Cornflakes but no milk.... And its a really loud hostel.

• 28th Aug 2014

10 yrs ago my partner stayed at the Old Swan Barracks and he remembered it as a decent place where you get good value for your money. Therefore we decided to book it again- such a disappointment! Initially we booked 5 nights through their homepage but checked out after the first night. For a hostel (even in Perth) it is ridiculously expensive and incredibly dirty. The whole place is just filthy; old nasty pillows and blankets, dirty carpet and shower rooms are in desperate need of a good clean.

• 15th Aug 2014

Great place to stay. Doesn't look very barracks-y tho. Staff were nice. Bathroom wasn't the cleanest in the world but I think that's because some inconsiderate guest left his hair from shaving all over the basin - but the bathroom still wasn't cleaned by the next morning - some people just abuse the facilities I think. Enjoyed my stay, met some nice people. Will deff stay again!

I had really good stay at The old swan barracks. The location was very close to Perth station and easy to explore the whole city. All of staffs were friendly and helpful. The kitchen and dining hall were really huge. Highly recommended for everyone who plan to visit Perth.

Nice hostel, very central and close to a lot of restaurants. A bit dirty but no more than you'd expect in a hostel. Staff was nice, some more friendly than others but all very helpful. Facilities a bit difficult to find at first but nice when I did find them. Would recommend!