The Old Swan Barracks Reviews

6 Francis St, Northbridge, Perth, Australia

Although we were aware you were not allowed to bring alcohol in the hostels we had a bottle of vodka in our room. One of the reception staff came in the room, saw the vodka took it and poured it down the sink. When asked if we could have it back she was very rude and smug in telling us what she had done with it. Clean sheets provided but matress protecter not cleaned in months, bed bug bites all over my body :/

• 28th Nov 2014

The communal areas were always busy with lots going on in the evening so the atmosphere was generally good. The rooms however were really quite dirty. Layers of dust along the skirting boards and edges of the carpet. The dorm door locked but was relatively loose so wouldn't be difficult to gain entry. The metal frames on each of the bunks in the dorm were damaged and some missing. Although I liked the atmosphere, I wouldn't choose to stay here again

• 27th Nov 2014

Unfortunately it was the worst hostel I stayed in during my stay in Australia (2 years). Messy and very dirty, especially the bathrooms. Friendly staff though.

• 26th Nov 2014

Convenient to museum

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Couple, 41+

was only one night stay. we had so nice night. Me and my friend got there so late. The roommates had turned the light off. just so sorry to wake them up because we were so anoying.

Nice, big hostel in a good location with large communal areas and kitchen. The large militant type lockers were really handy in the dorms, and the free breakfast is as you would expect. Only very few bathrooms for a lot of people, but luckily I didn't queue. Good place to meet people, though quite a few are long term-ers working (but you'll get that anywhere), would recommend to stay here!

Really dirty. Needs cleaning

• 24th Sep 2014

For what I paid (private room paid for 2 ppl though only 1 staying) I did expect a bit more comfort ie an electric jug in my room. Overall my stay was ok but that was more due to the people and location than anything. The disappointment I had was how threadbare the place looked etc. The bathrooms are seriously in need of updating no urinals in mens bathroom in section I stayed in. Plus for size of Hostel the bathroom size was not near adequate for amount of people staying same with kitchen.

• 21st Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Good experience, big hostel

The Old Swan Barrak has a very good postition but the quality of the cleaning in very low. I don't know if I'll come back.

• 2nd Sep 2014

Its really dirty there. And there is no free wifi!!!! Only one hour a day and it doesnt work really. The staff is not really nice. And the breakfast was really bad. Cornflakes but no milk.... And its a really loud hostel.

• 28th Aug 2014

10 yrs ago my partner stayed at the Old Swan Barracks and he remembered it as a decent place where you get good value for your money. Therefore we decided to book it again- such a disappointment! Initially we booked 5 nights through their homepage but checked out after the first night. For a hostel (even in Perth) it is ridiculously expensive and incredibly dirty. The whole place is just filthy; old nasty pillows and blankets, dirty carpet and shower rooms are in desperate need of a good clean.

• 15th Aug 2014

Great place to stay. Doesn't look very barracks-y tho. Staff were nice. Bathroom wasn't the cleanest in the world but I think that's because some inconsiderate guest left his hair from shaving all over the basin - but the bathroom still wasn't cleaned by the next morning - some people just abuse the facilities I think. Enjoyed my stay, met some nice people. Will deff stay again!

I had really good stay at The old swan barracks. The location was very close to Perth station and easy to explore the whole city. All of staffs were friendly and helpful. The kitchen and dining hall were really huge. Highly recommended for everyone who plan to visit Perth.

Nice hostel, very central and close to a lot of restaurants. A bit dirty but no more than you'd expect in a hostel. Staff was nice, some more friendly than others but all very helpful. Facilities a bit difficult to find at first but nice when I did find them. Would recommend!

Mattress had more springs in it than padding. Showers on the wall barely put out any water - you had to practically hug the wall to get the water on your body. General overall grotty old feel to the hostel. Even if it is an old place it could have been better.

• 31st Jul 2014
  • New Zealand

Not much of an atmosphere but that’s to be expected as it seemed quiet and in the off season. My stay exceeded expectations with staff extremely helpful and accommodating, especially the gentleman who seemed to be the general handyman/cleaner. I will defiantly book again when I next visit Perth.

• 30th Jul 2014

Broken windows, broken light bulbs, bunk bed along windows without safety bars, ... the place does not seem to have been renovated for years. Laundry room is really bad. BUT price is good and location is great -- and there is no bad crowd hanging there. The atmosphere is rather safe.

• 29th Jul 2014

I didn't like the terrible smell in the room and I was freezing whole the night.

• 23rd Jul 2014
  • Czech Republic

Hostel was great fun. You meet so many people and everyone is sound! I'd recommend it!

• 22nd Jul 2014