The Old Swan Barracks Reviews

6 Francis St, Northbridge, Perth, Australia

They advertise free wifi but you only get 1 hours worth per day which is very inconvenient when your wanting to search for jobs online!

• 2nd Jan 2015

Only stayed here for three nights and didn' venture around the city a lot, but for us the location was alright. Be aware that if you're travelling with a car, the hostel's parking spots are not for free! We weren't told about that when making the booking and had to find this out as we arrived. The bathrooms were alright, but the showerheads could have been fixed a little higher for the taller ones among us. The staff were nice, but not very helpful when asked about local recommendations.

• 30th Dec 2014

No byo alcohol or outside drinking, so no atmosphere whatsoever.

• 18th Dec 2014

Good location, clean room, helpful staff. Really don't have anything to complain about. Of course it was very noisy at night, being in Northbridge so I didn't get much sleep but I survived.

The Old Swan Barracks is a clean place with good staff and a very good location. There is absolutely no atmosphere, you need to give deposits for every single thing you need and the bathrooms are not convenient. The bedrooms are very basic and rather narrow for the average hostel but very clean and taken care of. I paid 30 dollars for a night in the weekdays and I think it was not worth it.

Although we were aware you were not allowed to bring alcohol in the hostels we had a bottle of vodka in our room. One of the reception staff came in the room, saw the vodka took it and poured it down the sink. When asked if we could have it back she was very rude and smug in telling us what she had done with it. Clean sheets provided but matress protecter not cleaned in months, bed bug bites all over my body :/

The communal areas were always busy with lots going on in the evening so the atmosphere was generally good. The rooms however were really quite dirty. Layers of dust along the skirting boards and edges of the carpet. The dorm door locked but was relatively loose so wouldn't be difficult to gain entry. The metal frames on each of the bunks in the dorm were damaged and some missing. Although I liked the atmosphere, I wouldn't choose to stay here again

• 27th Nov 2014