The Only Backpacker's Inn Reviews

968 Danforth Ave, Toronto, Canada

Although everyone seems to focus on the free waffle breakfast (which is EXCELLENT by the way), the hostel can be accredited for much more than that. It is one of the prettiest hostels I have ever seen as the walls are painted in beautiful drawings and with vibrant colors! It has a large and nice terrace in the back and a cool bar downstairs. I would most definitely come back to this hostel! The location was not a problem for us at all.

Exceptional! Staff was very personable. Having the subway station for quick access to downtown around the corner was a great amenity. The nearby strip of restaurants also offered a diverse menu that was easy on the wallet. The layout was neat, brilliantly colored, eclectically decorated and cozy.

A huge treat with this hostel is that if you're not down for their already yummy waffle breakfast, you can opt for a pasty and espresso beverage (a free breakfast of a delicious wild berry muffin and a dirty chai?? Seriously?!!) The staff is super kind and nice; the bar seems chill and thoughtful.

Room was a little cramped but overall was a great stay, good atmosphere and good people.

Great breakfast! Friendly staff although not all of them. Right next to the subway so you can get around easily. Suprisingly peaceful for a hostel above a bar. There was loud music but with earplugs it wasn't such a big problem. Dorms are clean and have air conditioning. They can get you a nice niagara falls tour with a discount. An annoying thing was that they only have 2 washrooms.

I went here last year and came back with a group this year. I always feel completely safe and the location can't be beat. Right next to the subway and in a neat area that's not over crowded. The staff and atmosphere are all you could hope for and more. They are friendly and keep the place beyond clean. The price is always right and the breakfast is honestly what I look forward to most when I visit. I will be returning next year and encourage anyone to make it a point to visit The Only!

• 27th Jun 2014

I always stay here when I am in Toronto. It's in Greek town so there's amazing food around, it's close to a major transit station (Pape), the hostel itself is very cool, clean and safe. The downstairs is a bar/café that serves free breakfast for the hostel guests. 'nough said!

This place was by far the best place I have stayed in a LONG TIME. The staff went out of their way to make sure check-in and my stay went smoothly. The place is very secure, beds are comfortable, plus you are right upstairs from a bar. Will definitely stay here again during my next visit to Toronto and will recommend to friends. Plus, just the breakfast is worth the $20 a night. Best breakfast I've had at any hostel or hotel.

• 21st Jun 2014

Not my first stay at this hostel. An extremely clean environment with friendly accessible staff. Complimentary waffle breakfast is amazing! Always a wonderful experience here.

• 5th Jun 2014

Absolutely loved my time here. The only hostel I've walked into and wanted to spend the rest of my life there. Above their amazing bar and cafe is this hostel filled with art, fun people and light. Includes waffle breakfast at the cafe, which is beautiful. Amazing selection of beers at the bar and good live music almost every night. Best for slightly alternative people but I can't imagine any hostel person not enjoying it.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Very convenient to subway. Clean and simple, all that we needed. Would definitely return sometime.

• 29th Apr 2014

good hostel - great waffle breakfast

Very nice colored kind like hippie hostel :)

Out of the way. Good bar downstairs. The breakfast makes it all worth it

This is a great place to crash in for a few nights, it is a little bit far from the downtown nut the subway is stesp away. there is a bar in the first floor and it can get noisy after 11 pm. the breakfast is wonderful. I would stay again!!The rooms are small and the heater doesn not work properly so it could be very cold in winter inside.....

• 22nd Jan 2014

The rooms are too small and the music in the pub downstairs makes difficult to sleep well. Best breakfast ever! and the guy who prepares it is great!

• 23rd Dec 2013

Quiet hour policy is pointless if the bar does not abide by the policy as well. i was unable to sleep because of the speed metal the bar staff was blasting til they closed at 2 am. I was able to hear the music in every single corner of the hostel. either ditch the hostel or the bar. 28 people can stay but there is only one bathroom and three showers. also if a problem arises during the evening, as did on mine, the staff is not allowed to come and help as they are busy at bar.

• 20th Dec 2013

Clean, good location and fun! The breakfast is perfect!

• 29th Nov 2013

Clean and friendly in a multi-ethnic strip of the Danforth and just around the corner from a Subway station. There's a bar and a coffee shop on the ground floor. In summer there's lots of outdoor terrace places to loaf or eat.

• 15th Nov 2013

Great bar, great breakfast, close to the Subway (although not close to downtown). Only problem was that on the first night I was there I had gone out and come back late to find someone in the bed I was assigned, which isn't great. It points to either poor organization or poor security. I managed to find someone that worked there who found me another bed, but that wasn't great.