The Original Backpackers Hostel Reviews

162 Victoria Street, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

Everything was very good

• 4th Feb 2016

- relatively loud on Friday night - about 80% of guests seemed to be from Germany, so it feels a bit like having booked into a Youth Hostel in Germany

Something has to be done to improve the kitchen area. You can't get in and cook a meal without bumping into someone (or them into you) with hot pots. No one cleans up after themselves and its infested with ants all over the kitchen and eating areas. The rooms (doubles) were clean and roomy enough - but don't expect to sleep in as the garbage/recycling/street sweepers went by every morning at 7:00 and woke me up for the day.

• 7th Jan 2016
  • Mixed Group, 41+

hostels should be able to get one thing right, that is, providing one half of a decent bunk bed for you to rest your head when you arrive late at night. On this basic level this hostel only had beds where you would have to be 5'8" to comfortably stretch out and sleep at night... the beds are short, very short.

Lovely chilled spot in a great location for touring around.

• 18th Dec 2015

Full of Germans, no atmosphere and no air con. Awful!

Great location, easy access to trains and landmarks. Downside- apparently there is some sort of connection with a German organization so 90% of the guests speak German and if you can't, it can be hard to meet people. Not much going on in terms of helping people meet one another or activities to do each night. Good price though and safe. If you're looking to meet solo travelers though, I'd look elsewhere.

Not a bad place. Good for the location right next too all the clubs and close to the trains. If you wanna stay up late and party at the hostel it's not an option as you have too be out of the downstairs area at 930 pm. But we drank in our room. Would stay again! Thanks too the people we met. Staff were alright too!!

Staff were very friendly and helpful, the rooms were well sized and many have balconies that are chill hangout spots. The wifi isn't the best deal, and the bathrooms sure aren't very clean but other than that it's good facilities. Everyone seems to know each other and hang out at night, though it seems like 70% of the people are men. If you're looking to improve your English this might not be the best place to do it; you're more likely to hear German or French spoken than English.

Everything was okay with the hostel, the only downside was the internet. You are given only 100mb of data/day which in reality isn't enough to stay updated, connect with friends and families. If you have to buy extra internet it will cost you a lot of money. I wouldn't stay in this hostel again even though I didn't have major issues unless they offer unlimited internet for a good value for money. it is always worth contacting them first and enquiry as you might be disappointed afterwards.

Rooms an absolute mess due to longtermers. On arrival discovered large dead bug in bathroom, and sheets from previous resident had not been removed from bed meaning I had to go back to reception to find out if there was even a space in that room. 'Spring clean' sign on door, but no clean was ever carried out. Closure of communal areas after 10 meant that people stayed up partying until midnight inside the room.

I was originally put in an awful room that was incredibly small with people who had set up their x-box in the room and constantly had many people in there playing Fifa at all hours. After 2 nights I asked to move rooms. The staff were excellent, they completely understood that the situation was making me feel uncomfortable and moved me to a lovely room with people who respected the fact that occasionally humans need sleep. Would have been great to have a safe in the room, but fantastic overall.

• 19th Nov 2015

The hostel and its staff were well organized and friendly, with a great location and good value for my room (4 person bunk), however two things detracted: 1) My room was very poorly ventilated, and on a hot Sydney summer night with 4 people I could barely sleep. A standing fan was provided, but didn't help on the top bunk. 2) It was clean enough for me, but could have been a bit cleaner and some people may be turned off. I think my room just happened to be bad from 3 other long-term guests

Overall this place was fab, always found it clean, safe and entertaining. My only issue would be to have a light in the area just passed the courtyard on the way to the bedrooms as it could be difficult to see at night!

The room was disgusting: dirty laundry, half empty beer bottles and other stuff (including food) all over the floor. I barely slept cause it was loud and smelled bad. I've stayed in many hostels all over the world and this was by far one of my worst experiences. I was happy that I only booked it for one night and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

Was checked in by a lovely French guy who was very helpful and even carried my case upstairs for me. Much appreciated! Room was clean and friendly. Location here is great, middle of Kings Cross with easy access to the station and a nice walk down to main CBD. Fairly large kitchen/outdoor area & seating out the front too. Overall a decent stay & would return.

I had a great stay at Originals and would definitely recommend this hostel. It's close to restaurants, bars nd clubs but not noisy.I just booked for 1 night but ended up to stay there my whole week I had in Sydney.The Staff was very friendly and helpful. I stayed in a 10 beddorm which was a huge room with an awesome balcony to hang out. The room had lockers and even a big frigde. I loved the outdoor area next to the kitchen. The only negative thing was that the kitchen is a bit too small.

• 24th Aug 2015

Awesome old mansion walking distance to every thing with helpful happy staff cool vibe happy people having fun and all the amenities I needed. Had a great time. Big thumbs up I'd recommend. Airport shuttle took us to the door for $10!!!

• 22nd Aug 2015