The Original Backpackers Hostel Reviews

162 Victoria Street, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

I only stayed one night. They had reliable, cheap shuttle connection to airport. Bed was comfortable. It is true not any great places to hang, except the kitchen and a nice patio behind the kitchen or and the porch. I appreciated the 11 pm quiet curfew, but some might not. The staff was great!! I had made the reservation for the wrong night and they were able to find me a bed, simple switch. The people staying there seemed to have been there a while, but all were friendly. beautiful property!

loved this hostel, the ensuite room is big enough, hot water running at any hour and fridge available inside the room. the location was just perfect, 2 minutes from the subway station and right in the middle of kings cross area, which is awesome for the night life. the hostel is really beautiful, with a little terrace and a big kitchen, plus a patio where you can have your lunch or dinner. common rooms very comfortable, amazing prices. will definitely come back!

Really liked the atmosphere at the hostel, was just a great place to meet other people, constantly got to know some people in my dorm when I checked in and people overall seemed friendly and open to talk to you . Liked the fact that the hostel has some sort of activity going on every night, great way to get to know others. Friday was clubbing in Kings Cross and Saturday was partybus to Sydneys largest club "home" at Darling Harbour , you did get some really good deals with these outings as well!

Stayed for three nights at this hostel; we arrived in late at night from the airport after a long flight, staff were very helpful and we got a good nights sleep with no disturbances. We stayed in a twin room which probably helped the hostel itself is remarkably quiet after 10 pm because all the communicable areas ( bar the tv room) kitchen and outside areas are closed to keep the noise down; this suited us very well! Lots of pubs and clubs nearby, very clean; friendly and helpful staff

• 5th Jun 2014

I recommend, slightly. Owners were friendly, but woofing staff were rude (hey, it happens). Had some beers stolen from the fridge, so that sucked. Definitely a younger 'party' hostel, some general irresponsibility going on. Facilities were pretty solid, especially the showers. Kitchen was tiny, not suited for the number of people there.

Very helpful and nice staff. Free wifi in all common areas. Some rooms have balcony and fridge which is really nice. Over all a great location in the middle of kings Cross, great place if you want to party and have a good time.

• 3rd May 2014
  • Sweden

Overall a good experience but the fact that we aren't allowed to play/listen music at the bbq area is really frustrating. I thought the idea of backpacking in about the exchange. I saw a german complaining about people chatting 'too loudly'. WTF? Thanks, Antoine

• 20th Apr 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

We keep the hostel quiet after 10 at night so our guests can sleep-those that want to party are taken out to local bars by our entertainment staff where they get free entry,free drink on arrival and cheap drinks all night.The previous review said we were too noisy,this review says we are too quiet-we think we have the balance about right!

Unclean, unkept -had to go through the court yard, loads of stairs, &laundry to get to the room &once in the room one of the walls was not a wall, rather an opening to another room that was blocked by large doors just placed. The noise was loud - literally like a frat house and party.Oh, and the bathroom-every couple minutes the lights would turn off since they are on a movement sensory system..unfortunately they don't sense in the shower. Had to step out every 2 min to get the lights to turn on

Guest had a ground floor room so had to go up 3 steps into the courtyard and down 3 steps on the other side- this was not having to climb Mount Everest!This a quiet hostel- this review says we are too noisy,the next review says we are too quiet,We think the balance is good.But the guest was correct about the bathroom lights-the faulty sensor has been replaced.

all good, great staff, location, building. JUst didn't like the light in the shower who wentoff each 5 minutes :(

The faulty light sensor has been replaced- it should have stayed on for 20 minutes.

A good value hostel but facilities should refreshed.

staff quite rude when I arrived, I stayed here at the end of my 2 years in Australia and my first ever case of bed bugs, it was disgusting

• 8th Mar 2014

It was ok. We booked a twin room which was in the old part of the building and it was quite old fashioned, the bed frames had rust on them, you could hear everything that was happening outside. But then management surprised us and upgraded us to a double en suite which was on the newest part of the building and was much better! Felt like a hotel room and was very clean. Kitchen was ok but crowded most of the time. Didn't feel safe in kings cross at all, but the hostel itself was nice enough.

Middle aged novice reviewers!!Our rooms "felt like a hotel room" and were "very clean"-hostel was "nice" but we still got a poor percentage.Real backpackers love being upgraded and realise what a great hostel the Original Backpackers is.

our room was very nice, but the cleanliness in the kitchen area could be better.

I picked this hostel coz as much as I once loved to party- im not 21 anymore!! - so chose Original as it seemed online to be more quiet and serene than other nearby hostels! In kings cross however- there is no escaping the young party atmosphere!! Still was a beautiful and cozy place, in a beautiful leafy street, but wana point out for others like me- if u want some peace, don't stay in the cross!!

This place is lively from the minute you walk in the staff are welcoming and the location is prefect! Close enough to nightlife but not so close you can't sleep. The facalities were great shower and bathrooms clean rooms clean, can't ask fr more really! Would stay again for sure

• 21st Feb 2014
  • New Zealand

Large hostel with areas to meet others. Free Wi-Fi with 100 Mb data per day. Very clean and good location in King's Cross. Very helpful staff.

The hostel is quite average, no big complaints here but there are nicer hostels just next door for cheaper price and also breakfast included. The bathrooms and showers are really clean and good in Originals though.