The Original Backpackers Hostel Reviews

162 Victoria Street, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

Rooms an absolute mess due to longtermers. On arrival discovered large dead bug in bathroom, and sheets from previous resident had not been removed from bed meaning I had to go back to reception to find out if there was even a space in that room. 'Spring clean' sign on door, but no clean was ever carried out. Closure of communal areas after 10 meant that people stayed up partying until midnight inside the room.

• 20th Nov 2015

The hostel and its staff were well organized and friendly, with a great location and good value for my room (4 person bunk), however two things detracted: 1) My room was very poorly ventilated, and on a hot Sydney summer night with 4 people I could barely sleep. A standing fan was provided, but didn't help on the top bunk. 2) It was clean enough for me, but could have been a bit cleaner and some people may be turned off. I think my room just happened to be bad from 3 other long-term guests

Overall this place was fab, always found it clean, safe and entertaining. My only issue would be to have a light in the area just passed the courtyard on the way to the bedrooms as it could be difficult to see at night!

The room was disgusting: dirty laundry, half empty beer bottles and other stuff (including food) all over the floor. I barely slept cause it was loud and smelled bad. I've stayed in many hostels all over the world and this was by far one of my worst experiences. I was happy that I only booked it for one night and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

Was checked in by a lovely French guy who was very helpful and even carried my case upstairs for me. Much appreciated! Room was clean and friendly. Location here is great, middle of Kings Cross with easy access to the station and a nice walk down to main CBD. Fairly large kitchen/outdoor area & seating out the front too. Overall a decent stay & would return.

I had a great stay at Originals and would definitely recommend this hostel. It's close to restaurants, bars nd clubs but not noisy.I just booked for 1 night but ended up to stay there my whole week I had in Sydney.The Staff was very friendly and helpful. I stayed in a 10 beddorm which was a huge room with an awesome balcony to hang out. The room had lockers and even a big frigde. I loved the outdoor area next to the kitchen. The only negative thing was that the kitchen is a bit too small.

• 24th Aug 2015

Awesome old mansion walking distance to every thing with helpful happy staff cool vibe happy people having fun and all the amenities I needed. Had a great time. Big thumbs up I'd recommend. Airport shuttle took us to the door for $10!!!

• 22nd Aug 2015

My preferred hostel in SYD, Kings X. We booked via hostelworld and as we arrived they said they're overbooked so they put us in a double/private dorm. And as we even wished to extend the friendly staff remained us for a dorm rate in the suite. Thank u for that great stay. Would always choose Originals.

• 15th Jul 2015

The staff is very frienly. And the hostel have good Services, but is very very noisy, even after midnight, people talking laúd, changing rooms,. And there is not any control or notes that remind you to keep the noise to a mínimum at lates hours. Our room smell smoke, so definetely people don't follow rules but i don't feel the hostel control that, and they should.

There is no smoking in rooms -if the room smelt of smoke it was the other guests clothes.This guest is complaining about people talking loudly-we don't allow loud shouting or swearing or music but we do allow conversation.Talking to other guests is one of the reasons most people stay at a hostel.

A nice place to stay right by Kings cross station. Staff are lovely and helpful. Wifi is good and the courtyard makes for a good place to socialise with plenty of people about.

Dirty messy kitchen full of young people who did not seem to know what tidiness is. Found people smoking in the premise. Staff is nice and helpful, though.

We clean the kitchen twice daily, and spend four hours, on two nights doing a spring clean of the Kitchen. There are times when the Kitchen can get crowded particularly betwee 6.30 and 830 pm at night. There is a designated smoking area in the hostel where guests can smoke. We do not allow smoking inside the building. We have a 24 hour reception team. Most of our guests are European Backpackers. We pride ourselves on being a very clean and frinedly Hoste, regards Danny and the team.

all good...