The Palace Hostel Reviews

666 Calle Suau, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Staff was very friendly and accommodating. The location was a bit sketchy, but workable. No hot water to speak of. A/C was great to have! Good value for the cost overall.

Totally friendly atmosphere!

• 24th May 2014

I had an amazing time here!! I was traveling with a friend and we got the private bunk near the bathroom. All off the staff were so helpful and friendly. One of the best things about this hostel is that when you first meet people it is hard to tell who is staff and who is staying there. Everyone is so friendly, social and willing to share. I felt very welcome and made many new friends. I would go back!!! -Mikayla and Erica

I originally booked two days in case it did not work out. I ended up booking the rest of the week and even fighting myself to leave Palace and come back to Los Angeles! I saw scared because this was my first hostel and I am a lone female traveller. The atmosphere there is SO friendly. I literally made friends for life. I had the most amazing and fun/ny experiences ever! Ryan, who works the front desk, showed us all around San Juan and was one of my best memories there! Perfect central location!

• 13th May 2014

A small hostel with very friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere. Public transportation nearby.

It was exactly how I expected a hostel in Puerto Rico to look like. It wasn't fancy but it worked for what we needed it to. I was a little disappointed that our private room did not have a window that allowed light or air in, but overall it wasn't that big of a deal. The staff was really friendly and was very interested in the things you were going to do or see, and always had great suggestions.

The hostel was fairly average, and I noticed the staff members cleaning bathrooms and replacing hand towels in the washrooms daily. Staff were generally exceptionally helpful and ready to chat about traveling. They were ready to hang out on their off days, and were passionate about travel and work. That being said, the hostel has areas infectiously covered in ants (upstairs bathroom/fridge). Also witnessed staff temper tantrums.That being said, my stay was a positive experience. would go back!

• 24th Apr 2014

Thank you for your comment! We are very glad that your overall stay was positive. We apologize for the ants, the recent rain storms drove them indoors and into our courtyard. We have since done what we can to eradicate them from the property. With respect to the staff issue, it has been addressed and will not occur again in the future. Take care and safe travels!

Very friendly and helpful staff. Good wifi connection. Kitchen was stocked with dishes and cups to use which was nice. Had a freezer and AC that worked well also.

Shared dorm is a little tight for space but given the value its fair. Location is good - first impressions of neighborhood was that it wasn't the best but it is actually a nice residential street and the walk to Condado is quick and easy.

• 2nd Apr 2014
  • Scotland

the staff were extremely nice and all very interesting. but the rooms are too old. air conditioning sounds terrible. generally everything was great and we had a good time.

We are glad that you had a good time and enjoyed your stay. It was a pleasure for us to host you. We apologize for the air conditioning. In the room that you stayed, we are trying to figure out how to fix it and have already contacted maintenance people several times. Lamentably, they are slower to respond than we would like. We hope to fix it soon. Additionally, we have plans to update and repaint rooms within the near future.

This hostel is one that has definitely had some wear and tear over the years - but oh, if those walls could talk I bet we would have some good stories. It was clean and the beds were comfortable - which is all I ask for when traveling! :) The location is about a 20 minute walk from a beach - and out of the super touristy area which is great when searching for local places to eat! There are some homeless people in the area but I am a 26 yr. old solo female traveler and didn't feel scared once.

This was my first Hostel experience and it exceeded my expectations. I've heard a lot of bad experiences so I wasn't expecting very much at all. I arrived at the end of the day-literally, but luckily the Hostel manager was still there and was very welcoming. He is knowledgeable of the area and was able to suggest a few places to go. The bed was quite comfortable. More comfortable than the Disney World resort hotel I stayed at right before this. Overall, I felt safe and got to sleep comfortably.

• 13th Mar 2014

Had the best time ever! Missing my times over there already. Thanks for everything!

• 4th Mar 2014

It is a great place where you can meat a lot of international people. Very pleasant with a balcony and a patio, sometimes you just want to stay at the hotel tout rest and speak with people on the balcony. It is only five minutes bus from the old San juan and there is a super market at five minutes walking and first beaches at only 15 minutes walking.

• 3rd Mar 2014

Had an amazing stay at the Palace Hostel. It is out of the way from Old San Juan but near Condado beach. The location is really good, there are a few stores nearby to get groceries for your stay and it is a quiet neighborhood. The staff are not only really friendly but they are very knowledgeable on the area and things to do while you are there. They will even travel with you and show you some cool places you might not have thought to go to! Amazing place already planning my return trip!

Wish you the best Andy with spreading the will of cultural immersion to all your guests, backpacking diplomacy should be the only kind of diplomacy in the world!

What an amaing place! I've stayed in dozens of hostels around the world and The Palace is by far one of my favorites. They have everything you could want. Friendly and knowledgeable staff, comfy beds, a great layout, clean facilities, and all in a great location. Multiple private bathrooms. lockers plus secure storage for larger bags. Staff was ready and willing to help with any questions from navigating the streets of San Juan to discussing the history of Puerto Rico. Special thanks to Andy