The Palace Hostel Reviews

666 Calle Suau, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Shared dorm is a little tight for space but given the value its fair. Location is good - first impressions of neighborhood was that it wasn't the best but it is actually a nice residential street and the walk to Condado is quick and easy.

• 2nd Apr 2014
  • Scotland

the staff were extremely nice and all very interesting. but the rooms are too old. air conditioning sounds terrible. generally everything was great and we had a good time.

We are glad that you had a good time and enjoyed your stay. It was a pleasure for us to host you. We apologize for the air conditioning. In the room that you stayed, we are trying to figure out how to fix it and have already contacted maintenance people several times. Lamentably, they are slower to respond than we would like. We hope to fix it soon. Additionally, we have plans to update and repaint rooms within the near future.

This hostel is one that has definitely had some wear and tear over the years - but oh, if those walls could talk I bet we would have some good stories. It was clean and the beds were comfortable - which is all I ask for when traveling! :) The location is about a 20 minute walk from a beach - and out of the super touristy area which is great when searching for local places to eat! There are some homeless people in the area but I am a 26 yr. old solo female traveler and didn't feel scared once.

This was my first Hostel experience and it exceeded my expectations. I've heard a lot of bad experiences so I wasn't expecting very much at all. I arrived at the end of the day-literally, but luckily the Hostel manager was still there and was very welcoming. He is knowledgeable of the area and was able to suggest a few places to go. The bed was quite comfortable. More comfortable than the Disney World resort hotel I stayed at right before this. Overall, I felt safe and got to sleep comfortably.

• 13th Mar 2014
  • triavaj

Had the best time ever! Missing my times over there already. Thanks for everything!

• 4th Mar 2014

It is a great place where you can meat a lot of international people. Very pleasant with a balcony and a patio, sometimes you just want to stay at the hotel tout rest and speak with people on the balcony. It is only five minutes bus from the old San juan and there is a super market at five minutes walking and first beaches at only 15 minutes walking.

• 3rd Mar 2014

Had an amazing stay at the Palace Hostel. It is out of the way from Old San Juan but near Condado beach. The location is really good, there are a few stores nearby to get groceries for your stay and it is a quiet neighborhood. The staff are not only really friendly but they are very knowledgeable on the area and things to do while you are there. They will even travel with you and show you some cool places you might not have thought to go to! Amazing place already planning my return trip!

Wish you the best Andy with spreading the will of cultural immersion to all your guests, backpacking diplomacy should be the only kind of diplomacy in the world!

What an amaing place! I've stayed in dozens of hostels around the world and The Palace is by far one of my favorites. They have everything you could want. Friendly and knowledgeable staff, comfy beds, a great layout, clean facilities, and all in a great location. Multiple private bathrooms. lockers plus secure storage for larger bags. Staff was ready and willing to help with any questions from navigating the streets of San Juan to discussing the history of Puerto Rico. Special thanks to Andy

We had the hostel booked for 2 nights and ended up staying for nearly a week. The hostel is located off the tourist sides but everything is super easy to reach by foot (beach; 15 min walk) or bus( old San Juan 10min). The stuff is extremely nice and helpful and the atmosphere at the hostel is warm and open. We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to everyone who is looking for a nice stay offsite the tourist places.

• 26th Jan 2014

Staff are awesome, location is convenient and overall it does the the job.

• 24th Jan 2014

Great atmosphere - the small size means it's easy to meet people. Helpful staff.

• 22nd Jan 2014

Great hostel, best value you will find in San Juan I think. The people are great and the hostel is really nice. I have no complaints. The location isn't great but could be much worse. The beach is walking distance and some nightlife too. The vibe here is good and you are sure to meet people.

This was a really neat hostel. I especially liked the fact that the neighborhood was really artistic. The staff walked me through some of the nearby streets to show me graffiti. The staff was helpful and was able to teach me some tips about seeing the real Puerto Rico. The hostel is not perfect as it is an old building, but it is very spacious with hang out areas to meet other people.

• 11th Jan 2014
  • Tajikistan

I had a great time staying in this Hostel! I stayed here for bit over two weeks, and learn to know the staff really well. They are now good friends of mine. I felt welcomed as soon as I arrived. I wouldn't have nearly as good time in Puerto RIco if I had stayed anywhere else! I loved it here, and I wish to come come back one day! Hostel is located at local neighbourhood, far away enough from all the rush from the hotels but easy to get around everywhere. Hostel defenitely worth staying at!

• 7th Jan 2014
  • Finland

One of the worst hostels I've ever stayed in and expensive! The staff didn't have our room ready (at 5pm) and seemed to be confused about a lot of things. The room smelled and the showers were terrible. They were dirty and had luke warm water. The location was downtown and kinda sketchy. For just a few dollars more I would urge you to stay at Posada! It was amazing in every aspect.

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay here. On the date that you came we were experiencing a staff change. We had just hired a new crew on the 3rd of January. Plus, we had been waiting for a part to come in for our dryer so were relying strictly on sheets to dry by sun, which takes time unfortunately. The staff was being trained then and is now up to speed, which should explain concerns that you had. Many people come to our neighborhood to experience the real Puerto Rico & art here.

I think the Hoster is a great value for money. We stayed there for a week in january for rock climbing in bayamon. There is not much to see in the surrounding but it's a good place to stay if you have a car. It is right in the middle of a rich neighbour and a poor one. We felt safe walking every night. The basic cleaning is well done every day but good deep yearly cleaning of some things is needed (in the kitchens for instance) . The owner are young and cool so they will learn. It is quiet.

Dear Guest, Thank you for your candid comment. We took your suggestions into consideration and spent a full day deep cleaning the hostel. (The kitchens have been cleaned and organized better). We have additionally made plans to make small renovations and improvements to the hostel over the coming few weeks. We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay here, we hope to see you next time!

I stayed at The Palace Hostel my first two nights in Puerto Rico. It was a perfect transition to become accustomed to the region. The staff is friendly, welcoming, and knowledgeable about the area. Also, free coffee and pancakes in the morning!

• 2nd Jan 2014

Very nice atmosphere to chill out and meet new people, convinient location, easy to get around, staff is very helpfull and very nice. I stayed for about 10 days over january and had a great time! Definately recommend it.

• 31st Dec 2013

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms had air conditioning, which was great! since the temperature was around 30°C each day. They were even training new staff while I was there and this did not disrupt the quality of service.

• 25th Dec 2013