The Palace Hostel Reviews

666 Calle Suau, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Ran into the Palace Hostel after having a bad time at a different hostel hostel in the San Juan area... I gotta say , it's the definitely the place to be ! Super close to the beach and a really nice market called "La Hacienda " . Had a nice time hanging out with guests from all over the world and the palace staff ... Shout out to my friend Axel from Massachusetts and Iman from Germany ! I hope I can come back to Puerto Rico and stay at the palace once again...cheers!

The hostel was about 10 minutes from the city center and the neighborhood had a cool, local vibe. The hostel itself was nice & mellow, and the staff was really cool & helpful. It was my first time in San Juan & I really felt at home at the Palace. Will definitely stay here again on my next visit.

The palace hostel proved to be a great place to stay. My first impression was being greeted by good staff and great accomadation. The rooms, bathrooms, and common areas were clean and nice. The staff were friendly and helped out with anything i asked. This place was amazing.

Diego is great!

• 7th Jan 2015

Fixed my booking problems promptly, amazing.

Places is dangerous and the atmosphere is toxic because of an unhappy manager named Diego. No one likes him who stays there because he mistreats them. All of the other staff are incredible and amazing people. Saw some wild stuff go down there. The manager Diego left no one on shifts at times and some of us came back to find a girl in the bathtub naked, passed out drunk with puke all over her, and the shower had been running for who knows how long. Plus there was even a broken bottle in there....

We made an additional 4 day reservation and one of the workers cancelled the reservation on us without us telling them to do so. So when we went to check in they told us that our reservation has been cancelled very disappointing!

• 28th Dec 2014
  • Mexico

Dirty, a lot of rusted stuff, super bad administration, not helpful staff, expensive for what you get. 55$ per night for a private room with a shared bathroom. The usual reaction I get from some people when I say I will stay in a hostel is usually a bad one, mainly with hygene concerns. I have stayed in around 8 different hostels in other countries and never had a problem. But for the first time, I felt bad and uncorfortable, this place really gives a bad reputation to the concept of a hostel.

It was a first time in a Hostel for me and I really enjoyed my stay at Palace. Meeting new people, clean linens and knowledgeable staff made for a great time in San Juan.

• 23rd Dec 2014

Horrible staff, very immature and I found a pedophile masterbating in my room at 0600 in the morning!

• 22nd Dec 2014

Dear guest, We sorry to hear of your experience at our hostel. For the comfort of other guests, troublesome guests are removed from our property in the unlikely situation of difficulties. Our guests comfort is of utmost importance to us. For this reason we abide by common hostel rules, setting age limit, and a strict no drugs policy.

My friend and I booked private room for one night. We were missing clothes, new shoes, hair straightener, headphones, asthma inhaler, and a bag of bathroom supplies by the time we left. Some of those things I had never taken out of my bag so I knew someone had to go through my bag to find it. After telling the staff they did not seem to care; i do know they are not responsible for missing things but we had a private room so even if we had left it in the room someone had to have cleaned it up.

The hostel itself was fine and had great areas fr meeting people. It was located close to bus stop and not far from the old San Juan and easy to get To on a bus. There were a few things this hostel could really work on however. The staff is rarely ever at the hostel. Several cases at check in no one was there for hours and had to wait or come back. Same for check out no one was there so couldn't get the key deposit back. At one point Someone arrived after midnight we had to find them a bed.

If I could rate this place lower than 20% I would give it a zero. Everything was just absolutely horrible. All rooms, beds, sofas, and etc had spiders, cockroaches, and other nasty stuff. There was no air conditioner as well as no air circulation.

It was very dirty, and the smell in the (rather packed) room was unbarable. I decided to leave and cancel the rest of my stay (3 nights more), which should be possible according to hostelworld policy. They gave me the most weird story and excuses why it wasnt possible to cancel, said my card had already been charged (very uncommon + also not true) and would ask the manager via email. I then already knew I was being lied to and yes, a few days after I left, my card got charged for 4 nights.

It's a bit unethical to overbook the rooms. Please plan on accepting only as many bookings as there are available beds. In addition, the 10-bed room flooded a bit when it rained. Please fix the ceiling or provide a warning to guests.

• 13th Dec 2014

Awesome staff. They are very nice, friendly, and helpful. Good location, easy access to all attractions, quiet neighborhood. Comfortable beds. Very fun hostel, great atmosphere. Highly recommended. I'd go back for sure.

• 11th Dec 2014

I had a great time at the hostel. The staff were friendly. Ryan, Axel, Diego and John showed me around the city, took me to the beach and even showed me how to snorkel. I met the nicest people there. I would definitely recommend the Palace to anyone who wants to experience a more relaxed, less touristy San Juan.

• 1st Dec 2014

Hey guys, Staff here are amazing!! Fun, nice, chill, they totally make this place. Highly, highly highly recommended for travelers looking to have fun I San Juan. Super social crew that keep the good times rolling. Came back repeatedly over my 17 days in PR.

• 20th Nov 2014

I liked the hostel overall. The one thing I noted was that there weren't enough hooks (for hanging clothing/towels) in the rooms and there were no shelves or cubbies in the rooms so that things could be stored off of the floor.

• 16th Nov 2014

2nd time staying here - still a great place. Extremely friendly staff, clean rooms, location is great - 20 min walk to the beach, 5 min to super market, 10 to a walmart. This is the best hostel to meet people if you are traveling alone.