The Phoenix West Princes Street (ALL SINGLE BEDS) Reviews

8 Shandwick Place, Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland

Excellent location and helpful staff

• 9th Sep 2014
  • China

The website states that they don't believe in bunk beds, if only they did it would mean so much more room for guests. Cramming 14 single beds into one large room does not make for a comfortable experience. It would be fine it it weren't expensive for what you're getting. Staff very friendly and facilities all fine, a clean and friendly hostel. I just feel that bunk beds are actually a great idea, now that I've stayed at a hostel that doesn't have the room NOT to have them.

• 5th Sep 2014

Nice hostel !! Very clean and good location. I stayed for one week and I recommend it.

This Hostel is adorable. The staff is really kind and helps you a lot. It was a lovely familiar atmosphere with nice people and reminded me of my home living room then a hostel. I would recommend this place to all people who are looking for a warm and cosy atmosphere. Thank you Phoenix, I will come back. Super gemütliches Hostel. Super Personal mit denen man auch den Tag über quatschen kann. Die Lage ist ebenfalls super, alles sehr gut zu erreichen. Lukas

• 2nd Sep 2014

Great location for a hostel. It's a relatively short walk from some of the great sights in Edinburgh, and some great coffee shops! (I.e. Wellington Coffee, Fortitude, etc..) Key card for access into the hostel, and the rooms. Beds are very comfortable with a locker at the bedside. Toilet facilities are good. Common space is comfortable, though I didn't see many people when I was around, this is likely due to the timing. Definitely a great place to stay if you're looking for more low key!

The hostel is quite new and the common areas are quite good. Yes it's great that there are single beds in the room but it's at the sake of space- there just isn't enough room to put your bags anywhere. It was lucky that the room wasn't full and there was a spare bed to sit bags on. It all felt very cramped.

There is literally no space at all in the room to put something anywhere as there is just one bed too much in the room. No hooks for towels, no space to store a luggage. There is a little locker to be fair to store your rucksack but that's pretty much it. Apart from that it's clean and the location is quiet good.

IS a home away from home... really friendly and helpful people...

• 31st Jul 2014

This accommodation is really one out of the box which is why we have given such a high rating.The Phoenix is a really great place to stay.Comfortable beds, plenty of food for the breakfasts (make your own) and cooking equipment and the proprietors really care that you are happy . Would be a brilliant place for a family reunion or company weekend away-would need to book early!

• 30th Jul 2014
  • New Zealand
  • Couple, 41+

Thank you very much !

One of the best hostels I've stayed at. Everything was excellent, the beds were comfy and spacious, the staff were helpful - it is a great value for the price you pay. It was a bit tricky finding where it was located (maybe better mark the door) but it's in a great spot in New Town.

Really pleasant, friendly staff. Well maintained rooms and bathrooms. Could do with soap available for arrival in the bathrooms.

• 28th Jul 2014

I can honestly say that this is the best hostel I have ever stayed in. FULL STOP! Hidden gem! At the bottom of Princes Street - cost me£18!! Wasn't difficult to find by building number. Was greeted by a nice friendly chap on arrival. Stayed in a 5 bed female room with a proper shower. Very comfortable bed and common room with a lovely fresh 'help yourself' breakfast. Males welcome but it is also an ideal girly retreat. Loved the mahogany bar, glam decor, breakfast treats and pink SMEG fridge!

Very nice words - thankyou , thankyou, thankyou.

I have been on the road travelling for 4 months in and out of hostels, this would have to be the best of my trip so far. Diefently worth a visit.

• 27th Jul 2014

Thanks fella much appreciated - good luck in Slovenia

I've stayed during the week. Excellent location, comfortable and clean. Free tea, coffee, milk, cereal and bread for breakfast. Very kind staff. I recommend it, no doubts.

• 8th Jul 2014
  • Argentina

We were 3 girls and had a 5 beds room with a private bathroom. The staff was really nice. The location was good, too. The only thing that could've been better was the breakfast, we would have liked some toast instead of just cereal :)

• 25th Jun 2014

Surprising entry but excellent in the inside

• 19th Jun 2014
  • Switzerland

The apartments were amazing! The location was perfect

• 19th Jun 2014
  • Scotland

A very nice B&B type of hostel. Very nicely renovated and decorated. Very quiet during the week, but apparently they have quite a lot partying groups on weekends. They have many rooms and they filled them so that everyone would have their peace and quietness and wouldn't have to share a room if there weren't too may guests staying. Breakfast included. All doors had keycard locks. Reception only open during the day (not in the morning), but once you get checked in, you can come and go as you like

I had the pleasure of staying here last week and I must say you cant beat the location. Right in the heart of the West End with restaurants & shops close-by, with a lovely view of Princes Street. A warm greeting by staff, nothing was too much bother. Comfortable bed. Clean bathroom & kitchen area. Free tea, toast, cereal & coffee! Quick WiFi. After reading a previous review I was apprehensive about my stay here but one foot in the door and I knew Id made the right choice to stay here.

• 10th Jun 2014

Hostel is in an excellent location, right at the outskirts of the city street and located opposite the air-link busstop. The room was clean and comfortable with everything that we needed. Ian was such a nice host, giving us a free upgrade to a private room since it was less crowded on a weekday. Thank you so much for the lovely experience and we hope to visit Edinburgh again :)

• 9th Jun 2014