The Phoenix Reviews

17 Yunnan (South) road, Shanghai, China

First time for idle age lady o stay in hostel and a dorm type!! It was good feeling after I saw one girl in my 8 bed dorm!! There should have a curtain on each bed for more privacy. A/C wasn't cold at all but understand that it supposed to run all the time because it's a shared room with people come and go any time!! I definitely will recommend to friends for private room if there is a choice.

• 31st Jul 2015

The staff was really helpful and smiley, a rarity in my trips through China. 谢谢你们!

Wifi never worked the whole time I was staying there. Beds were a think foam sheet of about 1.5cm depth and very uncomfortable. Because I couldn't get online to book tickets I asked staff to help me with their computer but only offered to help if they charged an extra 10% commission from your ticket price. Even though it was there poor wifi facilities that caused the problem. Staff seemed uninterested in helping you.

Cheaper than other places I stayed in Beijing, but with the same or even better standards. The fact that the staff speaks good english and they are always willing to help you is such a big plus. Also very good location.

Very nice room and perfect location in Shanghai. The only downside is that there isnt really a common area to hang out. Shanghai has lots to offer, so it isn't really that big of a problem, but if you want to hang out and meet other backpackers it might not be very suitable. Bathroom was great, big shower and nice facilities.

Although this was a hostel it felt more like a hotel. Great location, good sized rooms, well staffed and the rooftop bar was a great place to end the day.

• 15th Jul 2015

It is good value for money. Rooms are OK. The only problem was that the POS terminal didn't work so we couldn't pay via credit card.

• 10th Jul 2015
  • Poland

the staff is amazing, great location, the best atmosphere as well, they have a roof bar where the drinks are cheap the only problem is that close really early, the wifi work properly and the rooms are clean, I stayed in different hostels in shanghai and definitely this is the best!

I was very happy with the size of the room (private) but didnt quite like that the bathroom and shower had glass walls. Also, the activities offered (as said in hostelworld) are non-existant, no one knew what we were talking about.

• 8th Jul 2015

The Phoenix is very clean, friendly and easy to live at. We had a private room, and it almost felt like a hotel with cleaning every day. The rooftop is also nice for both breakfast and drinks. The staff was also helpful with driving us to the airport for a very good price, even though we had to leave very early in the morning. I would gladly recommend this hostel and stay there again.

The Pheonix hotel has been the best hostel that we have stayed in so far during our trip to China. Amazing value for the money. I booked a dorm room for me and five of my friends and I used their shuttle bus to take us to the airport on our last day there and it all went so smoothly. The staff was so kind and willing to help with anything. I highly recommend staying in this hostel, the value of this hotel definitely exceeds what you paid for it.

The hostel is in a very good location, near Nanjing Road and People Square, the dorms are ok, with A/C and ensuite bathroom. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the breakfast is great!!

The best thing about this hostel is the excellent location. Saying that, not all the staff are informative and one was even shouting at us when we complained on a flood in the bathroombathroom (?!). There is no real common area, unless you buy a drink in the roof bar (first and second floors are restaurant). Quiet nights were a bonus though, bed was comfy and the shower was strong. But I wouldn't go back there.

The staff is very helpful.

• 28th Jun 2015

People usually stay at hostels because we travel on budgets. When you have your bar charge 150% increases on their products, you become no better than the 5 star hotels. The prices are silly for a hostel.

• 26th Jun 2015
  • Couple, 41+

The photos look nothing like the actual hostel. The actual hostel is very dated, and old. The 'deluxe' dorm was no different to the normal dorms, it just had less beds in it and was closer to the facilities.

The hostel was very clean and spacious. It was located very near the metro. The room was beautiful-- the only downside was that the entire bathroom (toilet included) had a glass wall facing into the room.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Excellent restaurant with English picture menu no western food. We stayed in four bed dorm as a family no towels or flip flops provided as in other hostels though you did get them if you booked a double room. 10 Yuan per towel. T.V. in room which was goods as lads watched soccer and basketball

I stayed in the dormitory. The hostel is very clean and has a good location. Great value.

Quite a nice location, the only negative was that the bathroom is shared by the whole floor, and there are only two showers in it.

• 7th Jun 2015