The Phoenix Reviews

17 Yunnan (South) road, Shanghai, China

Great hostel in great location, with lots of food nearby and two subway lines in walking distance. My dorm room had been renovated recently and was absolutely spotless. Everyone gets a key card. The wifi worked as well as wifi works in China. The breakfast sandwiches were pretty good. My only complaint is that there's no large air conditioned common space, so you just have to hang out in your room, until it cools off enough to enjoy the rooftop bar.

Construction at Pheonix is done and the place is very clean (no cockroaches). It's located right next to Dashije train station and a 20min walk to the bund ferry entrance (just taxi or mtr it). The street it's on is lively and has great street food. Weekends are a bit loud. Staff speaks English well.

Located right next to Dashije train station, but not really walking distance from the main area of the Bund (like the Star Ferry starting point). It is located in a lively street with delicious street food/restaurants. This place is no longer under construction and is now clean (no cockroaches). Stayed 3 nights in a dorm on 3rd floor which was a bit loud during weekend. Staff speaks GREAT english, but conveniently forget to return my key deposit. Definitely recommend it.

Clean rooms, helpful staff, good food in hostel-restaurant and a really cool rooftop-bar :-)

Location was excellent, rooms very modern and clean. Roof top terrace was nice addition too. Would happily return.

Very good location near People Square ! A lot of restaurants in the area ! I stayed in a dorm, it wast just new. Everything was clean, huge place to put your stuff in the locker. I had the impression to be in a hotel ! Amazing roofbar and excellent restaurant downstairs . Thank you !

Exceptional location, easy to get to. Friendly and helpful staff. Good base for exploring the city. Not a particularly sociable hostel by global standards. Relatively spartan rooms but comparable to most hostels.

it was a very nice, clean and comfortable place to stay, close to the subway. I loved the bar on the roof, it's amazing to spend some time there in the evening. Plus they have a very good breakfast. The only issue was that there weren't any lockers in the room. Still I totally recommend it.

• 9th Jul 2014
  • Russia

I found the staff very helpful and obliging. They were very friendly and welcoming.. Snow was so helpful that he helping me with my bag to the near by subway. He went beyond the call of duty. I cannot thank him enough. I loved the birds outside on the a nearby window sill. They sang beautifully.

We had a double with private bathroom, the toilet was right next to the bed with a glass door... Quite awkward... Only go there if you are really intimate... Nice rooftop bar though.

Big hostel with really convenient position. Clean and safe, with great bathroom and shower even in the 8 people dormitory. Not particular warming atmosphere compared to other smaller hostels, but don't miss the terrace for a cold beer and a chat!

Stayed here 4 years ago and came back for a couple of nights. As always it didn't disappoint. It has been renovated since my last stay and is immaculate with good facilities. I'll be going back for 1 night next month...

Great hostel in a great location, clean, friendly, helpful and relaxed. My suggestion would be to promote to local restaurants, there is so much great authentic food in the same street. In my emailed conformation of my booking there were two sets of directions to get to the hostel from the metro. I suggest that you only use the directions for the station that is a block away (Dashijie). It's so easy to find the hostel from there and having two sets of directions makes things confusing.

• 3rd Jul 2014

This hostel is a wonderful place to have a quiet stay. The rooftop garden bar is very convenient and the staff is very friendly. The location is perfect. However, if you're looking for a backpcker's party atmosphere this may not be the place for you. But if you're looking for a quiet stay where you can see all of the sight's and meet some foreigners, this is a great choice. Very clean- if you rent a private room it's like a hotel with towels & toothbrushes included, but dorms also comfortable

Really helpful bar staff. The new rooms are very nice and the old rooms are still great. I made two reservations here. Great location and lots of restaurants near by. Night bus from Hongqiao airport stops next to the hostel and the hostel is also close to Dashijie metro station.

The room is really clean, and the inside of the hostel looks like a hotel ... The location is pretty nice because the subway station is pretty close and you can get everywhere really fast ... I really recommend this place!!! The only thing that bothered me was all the noise in the morning, it woke me up at around 7 i think because of the refurnishing your making .. Everything else was ok..

I stayed on the second floor, which was overrun with cockroaches, and had a strong odor of mold, rot, and who knows what. When I complained about the cockroaches, which kept me from going to SLEEP, I was told that there was nothing they could do, and that all of China has cockroaches. I will never go back to that disgusting place.

• 20th Jun 2014

This hostel is well located, however, I must have killed 8 cockroaches over the course of the night and there were fleas on the floor of the room! Pest inspection definitely a must!

Try to avoid getting a room in second floor...hat lots of bugs in my room and terrible smell everywhere. Fourth floor looked pretty nice though, seemed to be renovated recently.

We had a lovely clean twin room. Quite spacious, hardly any noise and the AC worked beautifully. We enjoyed our stay here and would happily come again.