The Phoenix Reviews

17 Yunnan (South) road, Shanghai, China

Great hostel in a good position for a boy like me!i was in vacation and all i needed i found! Close to people square(in the heart of shanghai) and 5 minutes on foot at the subway metrostation! Good. Andrea

I was not very impressed with my stay at the Phoenix. The staff were not helpful and did not offer any guidance on what to do in the area. The bed was uncomfortable and the bathroom was not clean when we arrived. I have been travelling Asia for 9 weeks and this hostel by far had the worst staff. I encourage the staff to buy new mattresses and become more friendly and helpful. Our stay would have been better had they had been more helpful.

• 12th Aug 2015
  • Northern Ireland

Everything about our stay was a hassle. We made our reservations 5 months in advance. When we arrived, they said they didn't have our room because they were overbooked. They ended up putting us in 3 separate rooms. The next night it seemed was still an inconvenience as we still didn't get the room we booked. Also, there were bugs in all 3 bathroom. The staff remained completely unprofessional the entire time, including knowing nothing about local sights and attractions. It was a bad experience.

We have returned to Phoenix over 10 times and have sent dozen of friends there. Marcel from California

The entire stay was a hassle. We booked 5 months in advance to have a private room,and when we arrived they told us they'd over booked and we'd be in a 6 bed dorm. The staff was extremely unprofessional, and seemed to know almost nothing about the city and local sights. The only help we got was writing our next destination in Chinese for us. The bathrooms had bugs, and the beds were rock hard since they are just a wood frame with very thin mattress. Overall bad experience.

We liked the neighbourhood a lot - good food available all day long :)

The Pheonix was a great hostel, I preferred the Mingtown one just down the street that I stayed at a week earlier. But this one had everything you could expect from a good hostel, clean room, bathroom and helpful staff.

We had a twin room. What they fail to mention on here is that there is no door to the toilet and shower - just glass, so no privacy! So you are going to need to be very close with the person you are sharing this room with!

First time for idle age lady o stay in hostel and a dorm type!! It was good feeling after I saw one girl in my 8 bed dorm!! There should have a curtain on each bed for more privacy. A/C wasn't cold at all but understand that it supposed to run all the time because it's a shared room with people come and go any time!! I definitely will recommend to friends for private room if there is a choice.

• 31st Jul 2015

The hostel is very very clean and the staff are very friendly. The only negative thing is the wifi was spotty in the room, but it worked well on the rooftop. Also some rooms have a clear glass wall to the bathroom, but we requested a solid wall and they were very accomodating. The location is amazing with a subway stop 1 minute away. It is also walking distance to the bund. A must see at night and during the day!

Really nice hostel, good location. The bathroom is not really clean though. But really nice courtyard outside. There is no ac in the room which made it very hot. The staff is really helpful and friendly.

Extremely slow wifi.

The staff was really helpful and smiley, a rarity in my trips through China. 谢谢你们!

Wifi never worked the whole time I was staying there. Beds were a think foam sheet of about 1.5cm depth and very uncomfortable. Because I couldn't get online to book tickets I asked staff to help me with their computer but only offered to help if they charged an extra 10% commission from your ticket price. Even though it was there poor wifi facilities that caused the problem. Staff seemed uninterested in helping you.

Cheaper than other places I stayed in Beijing, but with the same or even better standards. The fact that the staff speaks good english and they are always willing to help you is such a big plus. Also very good location.

Very nice room and perfect location in Shanghai. The only downside is that there isnt really a common area to hang out. Shanghai has lots to offer, so it isn't really that big of a problem, but if you want to hang out and meet other backpackers it might not be very suitable. Bathroom was great, big shower and nice facilities.

Although this was a hostel it felt more like a hotel. Great location, good sized rooms, well staffed and the rooftop bar was a great place to end the day.

• 15th Jul 2015

It is good value for money. Rooms are OK. The only problem was that the POS terminal didn't work so we couldn't pay via credit card.

• 10th Jul 2015
  • Poland

the staff is amazing, great location, the best atmosphere as well, they have a roof bar where the drinks are cheap the only problem is that close really early, the wifi work properly and the rooms are clean, I stayed in different hostels in shanghai and definitely this is the best!

I was very happy with the size of the room (private) but didnt quite like that the bathroom and shower had glass walls. Also, the activities offered (as said in hostelworld) are non-existant, no one knew what we were talking about.

• 8th Jul 2015