The Phoenix Reviews

17 Yunnan (South) road, Shanghai, China

The best thing about this hostel is the excellent location. Saying that, not all the staff are informative and one was even shouting at us when we complained on a flood in the bathroombathroom (?!). There is no real common area, unless you buy a drink in the roof bar (first and second floors are restaurant). Quiet nights were a bonus though, bed was comfy and the shower was strong. But I wouldn't go back there.

The staff is very helpful.

• 28th Jun 2015

People usually stay at hostels because we travel on budgets. When you have your bar charge 150% increases on their products, you become no better than the 5 star hotels. The prices are silly for a hostel.

• 26th Jun 2015
  • Couple, 41+

The photos look nothing like the actual hostel. The actual hostel is very dated, and old. The 'deluxe' dorm was no different to the normal dorms, it just had less beds in it and was closer to the facilities.

The hostel was very clean and spacious. It was located very near the metro. The room was beautiful-- the only downside was that the entire bathroom (toilet included) had a glass wall facing into the room.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Excellent restaurant with English picture menu no western food. We stayed in four bed dorm as a family no towels or flip flops provided as in other hostels though you did get them if you booked a double room. 10 Yuan per towel. T.V. in room which was goods as lads watched soccer and basketball

I stayed in the dormitory. The hostel is very clean and has a good location. Great value.

Good hostel in a good location. Very social staff and residents. Good rooftop. I had a great time here. Highly recommend!

Excellent location, it is located nearby DaShiJie Subway. Taking the subway can easily bring you to the tourist attractions. If you just have 1 day in Shanghai, a good way to travel around is to start from nearby Museum > YuYuan Garden > Bund > East Nanjing Road.

Nice place, liked it a lot. The rooftop bar is great.

clean room, good facilities and quite good location

Great hostel - we absolutely loved the rooftop bar, spacious 10 bed dorm and cleanliness of bathrooms. The staff were very helpful booking our domestic flights (for a small fee) and recommending places to visit around the city. The restaurants at the bottom and directly opposite the hostel also have great dishes for reasonable prices. Only thing that was a little upsetting was how the staff treated their two rabbits caged on the roof.

Personally we had some problems because we reserved a 4 bed room and when we arrived they told us they do not assure to stay in the same room and we had to discuss and complain to get a solution. I have a complaint because I reserved a "Deluxe 4 bed room" and when I arrived I found four "beds" without mattress, only a kind of foam of two centimeters on top of a wood table. I was in 12 different hostels in my trip to China and this was the most uncomfortable from the point of view of the beds.

Overall, excellent hostel. I'll definitely come back next time I'm in Shanghai.

I liked this place very much the first time I stayed so I was very keen to return after a couple of days away from Shanghai. This time I booked a standard single, thougn was upgraded to the much nicer single for the first night, then as singles were full, found myself in a very good eight bed dorm one night before returning to a single. All were excellent.

This is the best hostel I stayed in during my three weeks in China. I stayed several nights in different kinds of rooms starting from a fourbed dorm and ending in an eight bed dorm, also staying in the two kinds of single rooms. All were excellent. The staff here are really helpful and the food at their restaurant is cheap and really good. The location is eely convenient, two minutes from a metro station and just ten minutes from the People's Square. Next time I'm in Shanghai, I'll be back.

Great experience at the Phoenix! The location was incredible, extremely close to all the must sees but also not too touristy of a street where you can get authentic street food. The bartender/barista was very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and new. I would definitely stay there again!

• 9th May 2015

I can only speak for the shared dorm, but the bathroom wasn't cleaned or restocked in the three days I was there. Someone used the cardboard toilet roll to wipe their arse and then left it in the bin, and the room smelled pretty bad. Also, my bed didn't have a charging socket next to it but all the others in the room did. For me, a charging socket by the bed is pretty fundamental. Location is great though, and the bar was nice as well.

The hostel is located at the center of the city. It's easy to get to the subway station. But hard for taxis to find the way. I had a nice single room with a toilet and shower, which was clean. Only bad thing was probably noisy in the morning, but not on the account of the hostel, rather than the surrounding area.

• 4th May 2015

Great staff and location!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5