The Phoenix Reviews

17 Yunnan (South) road, Shanghai, China

Overall, excellent hostel. I'll definitely come back next time I'm in Shanghai.

This is the best hostel I stayed in during my three weeks in China. I stayed several nights in different kinds of rooms starting from a fourbed dorm and ending in an eight bed dorm, also staying in the two kinds of single rooms. All were excellent. The staff here are really helpful and the food at their restaurant is cheap and really good. The location is eely convenient, two minutes from a metro station and just ten minutes from the People's Square. Next time I'm in Shanghai, I'll be back.

Great experience at the Phoenix! The location was incredible, extremely close to all the must sees but also not too touristy of a street where you can get authentic street food. The bartender/barista was very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and new. I would definitely stay there again!

• 9th May 2015

I can only speak for the shared dorm, but the bathroom wasn't cleaned or restocked in the three days I was there. Someone used the cardboard toilet roll to wipe their arse and then left it in the bin, and the room smelled pretty bad. Also, my bed didn't have a charging socket next to it but all the others in the room did. For me, a charging socket by the bed is pretty fundamental. Location is great though, and the bar was nice as well.

The hostel is located at the center of the city. It's easy to get to the subway station. But hard for taxis to find the way. I had a nice single room with a toilet and shower, which was clean. Only bad thing was probably noisy in the morning, but not on the account of the hostel, rather than the surrounding area.

• 4th May 2015

Great staff and location!

The cleanest accommodation I have bin to in China. Also the location is awesome. Many restaurants and shops nearby and the subway just 3 min walk away and very close to peoples square. Additionally the hostel has a very nice rooftop bar with a view on the park at peoples square. They serve a good sandwich with a very strong, get you started coffee. I definitely recommend this place. I have been to three different hostels in Shanghai and liked this the best so far.

• 1st May 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

4th floor is like new, good restaurant downstairs. Some staff are better than others. Perfect location for walking through Shanghai.

I was on crutches with a broken foot and Mason and his main co worker during the day were patient and gave clear directions to the different activities I still wanted to find on my own via the metro. Restaurant staff were prompt and the lady driver who picked me up at the airport was very friendly and kind and was often smiling and laughing. The location is excellent, close to metro and good cheap eating and sleep quality was unexpectedly good.

• 27th Apr 2015

Great central location, very clean, large, bright rooms (we had a standard private double with bathroom) and staff were very accommodating and helpful.

Good hostel with a short walk to metro. Private rooms are newly renovated and are great, dorms are great also. Food drink and laundry service all expensive.

At this price you're not going to do better. great location, very nice room for this price point, very helpful staff. Minor detail is i could hear the people in the room next to me a bit, but it wasn't a problem.

• 22nd Apr 2015

Great location close to a major metro hub, and nice large, eight bed dorms. The staff, however was unfriendly and did not speak English very well.

Decent place for a fair price in a good location. Very helpful staff!

Great hostel, very central and nearby to the subway station. Staff was very friendly. The hostel has a rooftop bar with cheap cocktails.

My partner and I really enjoyed our stay in the Phoenix. The rooms were to a high standard with a great view of the tv tower and the neighborhood was very lively.

One of the worst hostels during my 6-hostel trip. The night staff barely spoke english and were not helpful in dealing with a cab driver, who took me for a bit of a ride and was asking too much money. Would not book a shuttle from the airport for me, forcing me into the 50min taxi cue. Also, could not book bus tickets ahead of my arrival. The hostel itself is ok, but the services and staff definitely need to be improved.

The location is perfect which very near to train station n the bund for exploring. The bar is just nice for chilling with variety of drinks for selection.

Great hostel the newly renovated private rooms upstairs are great. Good location, bar upstairs is very expensive though

The bathroom could be cleaned better.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5