The Phoenix Reviews

17 Yunnan (South) road, Shanghai, China

I really enjoyed my stay at The Phoenix. The staff was friendly, my room was clean. I was only there for one evening - but I felt very comfortable. My only complaint is that the wifi signal wasn't as strong in my room. But it was just fine in the cafe/near reception. I felt very happy with my stay!

• 11th Dec 2014

I only spebd there one night. But what I saw was very good. Clean, confortable and just for my purpose.

Lovely clean hostel in a great location. Would highly recommend, the only negatives were that there wasn't toilet paper, noisy pipes in the room and we got ripped off for laundry. Even with this I would still stay here again though

Good location and clean, but... ...a terrible musty smell in the toilets invades the room every time we opened the door. No toilet paper and I had to ask it twice. They sell some Shanghai maps, but it is a free map provided by the city of Shanghai. I saw it after, so they stole me and it is very dishonest for an hostel.

Good Hostel. Helpful Staff. No Complaints !! Location is very close to metro.

Best hostel experience I've had in Shanghai, and I've been to a few over the last few years.

Nice place to stay in Shanghai. But the hot water in the shower took a very long time to come (almost the lenght of a whole shower !). I also encoutered a bug on the ground just before checking out but I guess that was because of the humid weather in Shanghai and the open window.

DIRTY! i happened to be sleeping during cleaning hours of my room for two of the days and each time the cleaning ladies only made the new beds. they never cleaned the bathroom and only once took out the stinking trash. the front desk staff were not helpful, they knew little about the area and at times were downright condecending. i asked for laundry, they sent me to a dry cleaning place that wanted RMB250 for a load. when i asked them to do my laundry they said it'd take 2-3 days! ridiculous!

sorry i'm not your babysitter,please grow up!

Hostel has big lockers, . It is located close to all attractions. One minute walk to Metro Station. Restaurant on premises. Many restaurants on the street to choose from. Nice roof top bar and meeting place for guests. It is clean and affordable. Every dorm room has its own western bathroom.

• 27th Nov 2014

I stayed in the deluxe private room which I chose because I read reviews on Hostelworld.com that it was more like a hotel than a hostel. I definitely agree! The room was very clean and comfortable, toiletries/towels were provided, and the staff cleaned the room each day. I left all my personal belongings such as mobile phone and money on the table which was never stolen. The staff at the rooftop bar were lovely and it was a perfect place to sit in the sun and drink coffee in the mornings.

• 26th Nov 2014

Stayed in an 8 person dorm but there were actually 9 people. Was full all 3 nights I was there. Very cramped for so many people. No decent maps at the hostel so go to yu yuan where they have tourist info centers and get maps.location excellent- walking distance to nanjing road,yu yuan mart,and the bund if you're willing to walk a bit more.metro is around the corner. Cleanliness is decent-buy toilet paper in case there's none.you need your own tissues around china.restaurant downstairs is decent.

Really good location, really clean room, helpful staff and good for the money.

Really liked this hostel, great location, lovely roof top bar and fantastic showers.

Stayed at a twin private room. Very clean and new. But I didn't like the see-through toilet and thin wall which makes less privacy.

The hostel is in a good location, but I recommend staying somewhere at or near the Bund instead. If you stay at the Pheonix and are troaveling alone I recommend staying in a room with others because the single room is a bad decision for the amount of yuans I had to pay for three days and two nights (around 440 yuans). The room was stuffy unless I kep the air conditioning on or window open. There were bugs and there are no drawers or closets. It is a very small room.

Great location in Shanghai, in a popular street with great food. The staff was very kind , I recommend this hotel

Perfect location, 10 minutes walking disctance to Nanjing Road, 15minutes to the Bund. Only the WIFI sucks and the hostel restaurant is not more than average. Still very recommendable!

• 20th Nov 2014

Amazing hostel, took me a while to find but its in a great location, staff are so helpful and the restaurant on the ground floor is very useful especially for the first night! Great staff, great value, great hostel.

My room faced the back lane and it was noisy until late at night, presumably from the shop or restaurant at the back. The noise started again very early in the morning when the premise opened for business the next day. I could also hear footsteps from the next room. Not much of a hostel feel; the lift to the rooms was located in a restaurant & I didn't meet any other travelers. Location was perfect though, just a short walk from a subway station and the neighbourhood has many restaurants.

The dorm room was nice. Nice large lockers provided with locks. Nice hot showers. There was no real common lounge area except roof top bar/restaurant and didn't provide well for meeting other travelers.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5