The Phoenix Reviews

17 Yunnan (South) road, Shanghai, China

The staff were excellent, the management was not. There was construction work during my stay that I was not told about beforehand - no notice or announcement made before booking. The construction work was done throughout the night, including a fork lift outside my window, moving rubble all night, so that I could not sleep. I had to move rooms again, after initially moving because the internet never worked on the second floor. Was not given any compensation for lack of sleep. Very unimpressed

lacated in the middle of food street. Nearby has a number of good foodstuff.

The rooms were very clean and tidy but the bathrooms were pretty abysmal and could have done with a much more thorough clean. Great location and friendly staff, and loved the roof top bar. All in all great value for money.

A great hostel, booked 5 nights but stayed 8.Fantastic location, great staff, extremely clean.Very welcoming and joined in Chinese new year celebrations with everyone which was a fantastic experience, amazing food and company, really made me welcome ti join in as a lone traveller. Been backpacking china and staying in hostels for 5 months and this was definateky in my top 2 hostels. Single rooms like hotel but atmuspher, bar, staff are like a hostel.

i've stayed here many times, it's not far from the metro, never had problems. on my last stay i had to take my cat with me (was bringing him back to usa) and they let me keep him on the roof top bar for a night. just don't buy the map at the hostel, other places near by sell the map cheaper

Dorm was far too small and crampt and the ensuite was filthy, covered in mould. Shower curtain was disgusting. It would take 5 mins to put it through the wash. However, the roof top bar was lovely, staff were amazing and it kind of makes up for the horrible dorm.

I had excellent stay at phoenix but the wash room needs extra attention especially the toilet bowl.

• 6th Jan 2014
  • Malaysia

The AC did not work but when we told the staff to fix it they told us it works..

• 31st Dec 2013

I stayed at Phoenix hostel for 3 dáy 2 nights. The Phoenix hostel is quiet nice and clean. And it í located near a station. so I stayed there well. Actually there is a kind guy in a bar on the top. He and other staff are very kind and nice. If I have a chance to go to Shanghai again i go there again! haha

• 16th Dec 2013
  • South Korea

The staff at the rooftop bar were great! I had a great time learning how to gamble and getting travelling tips.

• 7th Dec 2013

Great location with the metro only a 5min walk away, staff were helpful and nice, rooms were nice, big and clean, no toilet paper though. The rooftop bar was a nice place to hangout and enjoy a few drinks.

Pretty good hostel. Mean bar on the roof, the guy that runs it is real helpful and speaks good english. If it wasn't for this place the whole hostel would be average. The staff at the front desk are ok, not hugely helpful giving directions, but gave us a heads up on tourist scams going around. Pretty good restaurant on the ground floor too. Not overpriced and good food. All up i'd recommend it, everything you need under one roof and close enough to a few tourist hot spots and the metro.

Atmosphere bit more like a hotel than like a hostel - missed a bit communal areas where to meet other travellers: there's only the open rooftop bar, which was mainly empty (since it was rainy& cold, people were either in their rooms or out - no living room in hostel). Other than that, nice clean rooms, good bathroom, good location

No closed bathrooms or commonroom so it was really cold. Average clean bathrooms, but clean beds. Im 183m and the bed was very comfy,not very stable, but nice linnens. The bar was amazing. Happy hour till 21.30hr.

The biggest Problem during my stay was the atmosphere. For meeting people only the rooftop bar is available. It's lovely and the bar owner is a great guy. But during my stay the weather got cold, and so it was not so easy to have a good time with a group on the rooftopbar. Another point was the rooms, they are run down. One night a stayed in a budget single room, where I killed two cockroaches in the shower. The other nights I was in a standard single room, the room was run down a bit...

Location to the bund takes a half hour by walk, which does not match the info. showed on the site. Single room is very small, if you open the window in the evening the terrible smell from restaurants of the street comes into the room : ( The next day we moved to another hostel much close to the beautiful bund, which is even cheaper and more comfortable. We will not recommend this hostel.

Great hostel. Clean dorm with ensuite. Dorm beds had their own power sockets. Location is great. On S. Yunnan st which has many cheap snd interesting restaurants serving shanghainese and provincial food. Close to People's park and a 25 minute walk to the bund. Also walking distance to nightclubs. Staff were friendly and helpful.

The room was basic, but very clean, which seems to be a rare find in China. Staff all spoke good English and hostel provided free drinking water, wifi, hair dryer. Very happy with this hostel and in good location too.

Location is good, it's pretty near to the metro and there is lot to see and eat within walking distance. Staff is very friendly and helpful and they even speak great english. Facilities are clean enough, for this low price it's all I expected. Our private room was not very private, since right outside the windows there is a balcony to some local's apartment. The restaurant attached to the hostel is fantastic.

Excellent place, perfect location, great staff, what else you need?