The Phoenix Reviews

17 Yunnan (South) road, Shanghai, China

The location is really close to the center. The sandwhiches on the rooftop bar are the best in town!!

Awesome place to stay. No complaints whatsoever!!

• 19th Feb 2015

Fantastic location right beside the bund and peoples square. Very easy to find too. Staff were all welcoming and provided information when I asked. Great value also so would definitely recommend.

Great location since it's at Peoples Square. Several rooms were smelling very bad and the problem seem to be a drainage problem. The staff does not communicate problems with each other when they change shift so if you have an issue, be sure to get it sorted immediately. I hate the fact that the elevator wouldn't close without a room key because it's inconvenient when multiple people stay in 1 room

Great place, great people. Go to the bar on the top to start your night in Shanghai.

• 18th Feb 2015

it is a great hostel , new decoration,clean room,nice rooftop bar ,had a good time with the staff there, Jason, the manager there is the best.

The room was very nice. So was the roof terrace. Also the bath was also very clean and modern, though sometimes there was a strange smell coming from the bath. The mattress of the bed was very thin and hard. Staff was also very nice, but toilet paper was never replaced and I always had to ask for new paper, which then was delivered immediately.

Hostel was nice, but the staff when we arrived were not friendly. I would be more likely to stay here again if I could check in with a computer, and not need to interact with the nighttime staff.

The quality of the room was one of the best I've ever stayed in for a hostel and the location is great. Only downside is that the common space is on the roof upstairs - not ideal in the winter, although Shanghai itself isn't the best place to go in the winter.

I really liked this place. My private room was really cool (the first one wasn't because it smelled but then they changed room for me). It is right beside a metro and within walking distance of the bund. It also has a cute roof terrace serving beer during the night and breakfast in the morning. Was well impressed.

We are quite happy with this hostel the room is quite clean also staff very friendly.

What time does the rooftop bar close? or is it closed during winter?

Restaurant downstairs was good, helpful staff, very clean rooms. Only complaint was that some twin rooms had transparent bathrooms, which was slightly awkward.

I loved this hostel. Great location - walking distance to People's Square, the Bund, Nanjing Road etc etc. The rooftop bar is great and the staff are all really friendly. I would definitely recommend this place.

Stayed here for one night with a few friends so that we could all have a night out in Shanghai without needing to worry about getting transport back to our apartments on the edge of the city. The hostel is located as close to the centre of Shanghai as you can probably find, and only a 5 minute walk from the nearest metro station too! The rooms were clean, the beds comfortable, and the lockers very generously sized. The people in the rooms helped to create a fantastic atmosphere. Loved it!

I had a great stay, no issues. The hostel was very conveniently located to get anywhere in the city. The room was clean and comfortable.

Great location, really nice and tidy room, helpful staff, nice restaurant at the bottom floor and amazingly worm water in the bathroom :) nobody warn me about tea house cheaters and hustlers tho ;]

One of the best hostels I have ever been. The onliest negative aspect is, that there is only one toilet and one shower fo 8 people and there are no public toilets.

Robbings in the area are frequent.

wonderful stay, good facilities and great value for money in the 8-person dorm