The Phoenix Reviews

17 Yunnan (South) road, Shanghai, China

Really helpful bar staff. The new rooms are very nice and the old rooms are still great. I made two reservations here. Great location and lots of restaurants near by. Night bus from Hongqiao airport stops next to the hostel and the hostel is also close to Dashijie metro station.

The room is really clean, and the inside of the hostel looks like a hotel ... The location is pretty nice because the subway station is pretty close and you can get everywhere really fast ... I really recommend this place!!! The only thing that bothered me was all the noise in the morning, it woke me up at around 7 i think because of the refurnishing your making .. Everything else was ok..

I stayed on the second floor, which was overrun with cockroaches, and had a strong odor of mold, rot, and who knows what. When I complained about the cockroaches, which kept me from going to SLEEP, I was told that there was nothing they could do, and that all of China has cockroaches. I will never go back to that disgusting place.

• 20th Jun 2014

This hostel is well located, however, I must have killed 8 cockroaches over the course of the night and there were fleas on the floor of the room! Pest inspection definitely a must!

Try to avoid getting a room in second floor...hat lots of bugs in my room and terrible smell everywhere. Fourth floor looked pretty nice though, seemed to be renovated recently.

We had a lovely clean twin room. Quite spacious, hardly any noise and the AC worked beautifully. We enjoyed our stay here and would happily come again.

This bacpack is quite good and has an excellent location. The staff is helpful as well. The bed are quite hard though and more important than that : every morning from 7 am a jackhammer was making a huge and infernal noise !! So the hotel itself is great but ask before if they are still doing renovation or not !

I should note that construction on the hostel is apparently still going on, but it was not disruptive to our stay. Our room had been recently renovated and was both spacious and clean. AC was functional. Overall it was a good value for the money.

The breakfast was over priced. Go out to the street for cheaper food or even the convenient store. The service was great though!

• 27th May 2014

The security was adequate; with lockable cupboards available in the dorm-style rooms to keep valuables safe. Yunnan Road, the street on which The Phoenix is located, is a very cultural place where it is easy to get good food at low costs, but the street has an unpleasant smell that is a motif in Shanghai. The staff at the front desk could be bristly at times, but they were helpful. The staff at the rooftop bar contributed to the atmosphere: they were fun and accommodating for drinks & breakfast.

• 26th May 2014

This hostel was slightly lower on the ranking but upon reading the reviews I noticed this was because the poor reviews were from pre renevation. I was in one of the newly renovated rooms and it was clean, cold and fantastic. At the same cheap price as pre construction. Value for money and location can not be better in a city of this size. 2 min from subway stop, and only 2 subway stops from central. Nice people always looking to help and a quaint rooftop bar. Highly reccomended

It was an extremely nice experience of my stay with the Phoenix. Fantastic location which you can reach most of the popular attractions of Shanghai in walking distance. And only 2mins to the MRT station by foot. The hostel just finished the renovation, all the facilities in the room are brand new. Bathroom in my 8 beds dorm is clean, I've got a private locker to store my stuff. The staff are friendly and helpful, especially "Snow" at the reception. He helped me a lot. Bar on the roof is good .

• 10th May 2014
  • China

The hostel just finished rennovation so the room was totally new. Clean bathroom with hot shower. Strong wifi in room. In walking distance to Metro, People Square and local restaurants. Staff are very friendly and supportive. This is definitely our first choice in Shanghai.

Great staff, good Chinese restaurant on ground floor, I switched from single room to double and was impressed with what a little extra got!

Great location, helpful staff and recently updated rooms. We stayed during in-house renovations, which meant a bit of noise - but no major complaints. South Yunnan Road, on which the hostel is situated, is a local foodie mecca - some of the best-value eats in town, especially from the duck and dumpling place on the corner. Close to the subway and People's Square, the cultural and administrative centre, and walking distance to the Bund. There's also a restaurant and bar attached to the hostel.

This is a good hostel. Great location! Very conveniently located by the MRT and people square. The roof terrace is great to hang out and meet people. They are undergoing renovation now, but as soon as they are done this is going to be a great backpacker hostel. Staff is nice. Wifi on every floor. New bathrooms and showers are more convenient than most hostels.

Staff are very friendly and supportive. Double room is very new and comfortable. Good hot pot restaurants and local food stands are next door. 5 mins walking to People Square and shopping centers. We very much enjoyed our stay here. Highly recommended.

The hostel was very nice and Easy to get to and from by taxi and train. Roof top bar was good for drinking and breakfast as well as the resturaunt on the first floor with cheap and tasty meals. I would def Recommend and re book anytime. Thanks snow for putting up with our noise !!🍻💵

• 16th Apr 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

It's hard to review this hostel as they were renovating whole floors while I was there. I think there were only a few rooms open at the time so it was very quiet. All I can say is it was clean and comfortable. The staff were nice though some of their English was poor. There's a cool bar/cafe on the rooftop. It's reasonably central, The Bund or Nanjing Rd are about a 20 minute walk each which was ok for me though there's a subway close by. I think it'd be great when it's fully finished

The staff were excellent, the management was not. There was construction work during my stay that I was not told about beforehand - no notice or announcement made before booking. The construction work was done throughout the night, including a fork lift outside my window, moving rubble all night, so that I could not sleep. I had to move rooms again, after initially moving because the internet never worked on the second floor. Was not given any compensation for lack of sleep. Very unimpressed

1 2 Next » last »