The Phoenix Reviews

17 Yunnan (South) road, Shanghai, China

Nice place, liked it a lot. The rooftop bar is great.

clean room, good facilities and quite good location

Great hostel - we absolutely loved the rooftop bar, spacious 10 bed dorm and cleanliness of bathrooms. The staff were very helpful booking our domestic flights (for a small fee) and recommending places to visit around the city. The restaurants at the bottom and directly opposite the hostel also have great dishes for reasonable prices. Only thing that was a little upsetting was how the staff treated their two rabbits caged on the roof.

Personally we had some problems because we reserved a 4 bed room and when we arrived they told us they do not assure to stay in the same room and we had to discuss and complain to get a solution. I have a complaint because I reserved a "Deluxe 4 bed room" and when I arrived I found four "beds" without mattress, only a kind of foam of two centimeters on top of a wood table. I was in 12 different hostels in my trip to China and this was the most uncomfortable from the point of view of the beds.

Great location to explore the city. Staff were wery nice and helpful. I've booked mixed 4 bed dorm for 3 nights, but when i arrived a was told that there are 3 men living in the dorm, so i was offered to check in in 6 bed dorm (which was all to myself for 1 night, 2nd night i shared it with another girl). Also this room turned out to be even much better as it was recenly renowated (the whole floor acually was)

Overall, excellent hostel. I'll definitely come back next time I'm in Shanghai.

I liked this place very much the first time I stayed so I was very keen to return after a couple of days away from Shanghai. This time I booked a standard single, thougn was upgraded to the much nicer single for the first night, then as singles were full, found myself in a very good eight bed dorm one night before returning to a single. All were excellent.

This is the best hostel I stayed in during my three weeks in China. I stayed several nights in different kinds of rooms starting from a fourbed dorm and ending in an eight bed dorm, also staying in the two kinds of single rooms. All were excellent. The staff here are really helpful and the food at their restaurant is cheap and really good. The location is eely convenient, two minutes from a metro station and just ten minutes from the People's Square. Next time I'm in Shanghai, I'll be back.

Great experience at the Phoenix! The location was incredible, extremely close to all the must sees but also not too touristy of a street where you can get authentic street food. The bartender/barista was very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and new. I would definitely stay there again!

• 9th May 2015

I can only speak for the shared dorm, but the bathroom wasn't cleaned or restocked in the three days I was there. Someone used the cardboard toilet roll to wipe their arse and then left it in the bin, and the room smelled pretty bad. Also, my bed didn't have a charging socket next to it but all the others in the room did. For me, a charging socket by the bed is pretty fundamental. Location is great though, and the bar was nice as well.

The hostel is located at the center of the city. It's easy to get to the subway station. But hard for taxis to find the way. I had a nice single room with a toilet and shower, which was clean. Only bad thing was probably noisy in the morning, but not on the account of the hostel, rather than the surrounding area.

• 4th May 2015

Great staff and location!

It's located really close to People's Square. There are many restaurants outside of the hostel. The subway is also just a 1 minute walk away from the hostel. The room are really spacious and clean. Just an all in all wonderful experience.

Good stay. They let me store mu lugadge for few days. Rooms could be cleaner.

The cleanest accommodation I have bin to in China. Also the location is awesome. Many restaurants and shops nearby and the subway just 3 min walk away and very close to peoples square. Additionally the hostel has a very nice rooftop bar with a view on the park at peoples square. They serve a good sandwich with a very strong, get you started coffee. I definitely recommend this place. I have been to three different hostels in Shanghai and liked this the best so far.

4th floor is like new, good restaurant downstairs. Some staff are better than others. Perfect location for walking through Shanghai.

I was on crutches with a broken foot and Mason and his main co worker during the day were patient and gave clear directions to the different activities I still wanted to find on my own via the metro. Restaurant staff were prompt and the lady driver who picked me up at the airport was very friendly and kind and was often smiling and laughing. The location is excellent, close to metro and good cheap eating and sleep quality was unexpectedly good.

• 27th Apr 2015

Great central location, very clean, large, bright rooms (we had a standard private double with bathroom) and staff were very accommodating and helpful.

Really great location! Very helpful staff , fabulous restaurant located downstairs which was great value for money and amazing food. Rooftop bar is great, tad overpriced for budget travellers , but really lovely stay

• 22nd Apr 2015

Good hostel with a short walk to metro. Private rooms are newly renovated and are great, dorms are great also. Food drink and laundry service all expensive.