The Phoenix Reviews

17 Yunnan (South) road, Shanghai, China

Very good location. The room are very good. We booked 3 beds in a dormitory of 4 but we finished in a double room. Good for the tranquillity and the privacy. So finally a good stay in this hostel who looks like more an hotel than an hostel. I recommand this hostel to you.

Excellent rate for the services provided. Beds are a bit hard for my liking. I feel like the staff could be a little more welcoming.

I decided to go to The Phoenix considering its reviews and pictures online. Thought the staff was quite poor with customer service. Not the friendliest, and not very knowledgable of recommendations of what to do to around Shanghai. Not necessarily a bad experience, just not great. Only bad thing was the key card they provided. Mine stopped working towards the end of the day, but then I tried to use the physical card to unlock the door between the gap, and it opened the lock. Unsafe!!

• 17th Dec 2015

I loved this hostel - amazing location just a few blocks from the heart of Shanghai where hotel rooms go for 5x as much. The area is "Old China" which is a great contrast to modern downtown. I had a private room with en suite bath. During one stay I had a single which was small but sufficient with a "wet" bathroom which I'm not a fan of but it's OK . The other times I had a double which was larger with a desk and chair and separate shower and toilet. Staff speaks English, always helpful/friendly

• 14th Dec 2015

I hope some of the receptionist can treat western and eastern people equally. Cause as a customer, we paid the same amount of money and I hope they shd not bias with the skin colour. I feel like some of the receptionist is racist and some are very good! This hostel is comfortable, value for money and hv a very good location.

good location

Overall, great experience! Great location and incredibly clean and up-to-date facilities. Staff was nice enough. Was more of a hotel atmosphere rather than hostel, though. Windows were a bit thin, so you could hear everything from on the street-may be an issue if you're a light sleeper.

Loved my stay here. Excellent location close to Metra stop plus easy to walk to so many attractions: People's Square, Nanjing Road, the Bund, Yuyuan Gardens, Old City. Once you understand how easy the Metra is you'll appreciate being only 2 blocks from a stop. From here you can go anywhere! I booked a private room with bath (I'm 52, I CAN stay in a dorm if I need to, but prefer a private room when it's available). Price was excellent and having the Rooftop Bar for morning coffee was great.

The location is conveniently located near Dashijie station and plenty of places to eat. The rooms themselves are located above a restaurant. That being said, it is a little loud due to the busy street. The facilities are very clean. Note that if you stay in a dorm style room, you will NOT be provided a towel. You will only be provided a towel if you stay in a private room. The staff is okay. Not very friendly.

Staff here were friendly and helpful. I stayed in the cheapest private room, which had no window so smelt a bit musty. If going back I'd pay a bit more for something better. But no complaints - it was great value for money. The downstairs restaurant does good meals at a reasonable price.

A great value for the money.. clean and well kept rooms

Best part- it is super clan. Worst part- It is located along side an active road, so you will hear some noise at night. Although, I don't think this is uncommon in Shanghai.

Nice hostel, location is good, subway is close by and just one stop to People Square where you can transfer to many different lines. You can walk to the French Concession. WiFi in the room is not good! WiFi at the rooftopbar is okay. Breakfast little expensive for what you get. Clean towels and flipflops everyday, thats nice.

The Hostel is fair and functional. No special complains, but it's not at all an excellent hostel, with a really friendly staff, outstanding atmosphere, good decoration, clean, and so on. Not at all.

Phoenix receives my highest rating for mainland China hostelling. The location was easy to find and close to major Shanghai attractions. Shower and toilet facilities were of western standards and clean. B bar is nice place to relax and socialize. Beds were clean. Lockable storage for luggage in the room. Phoenix is a solid choice for a Shanghai visit.

Good dormitory really clean but there is no common area or nothing to meet new people. Only a restaurant where you have to pay for stay or a rooftop bar but nothing like a chill place. As a solo backpacker, it was hard to meet people there. The staff is not helpful, but the price worth it especially in Shanghai

The staff was great!

Great location, the street on which it is located is amazing for food and drinks. Atmosphere is more like a hotel, though

A good clean central hostel. However ot feels more like a hotel than a hostel with little atmosphere even on the rooftop bar where your own food and drink are prohibited.

maybe hostel can provide mineral water for guests in room

• 14th Oct 2015