The Phoenix Reviews

17 Yunnan (South) road, Shanghai, China

I was very happy with the size of the room (private) but didnt quite like that the bathroom and shower had glass walls. Also, the activities offered (as said in hostelworld) are non-existant, no one knew what we were talking about.

• 8th Jul 2015

The Phoenix is very clean, friendly and easy to live at. We had a private room, and it almost felt like a hotel with cleaning every day. The rooftop is also nice for both breakfast and drinks. The staff was also helpful with driving us to the airport for a very good price, even though we had to leave very early in the morning. I would gladly recommend this hostel and stay there again.

The Pheonix hotel has been the best hostel that we have stayed in so far during our trip to China. Amazing value for the money. I booked a dorm room for me and five of my friends and I used their shuttle bus to take us to the airport on our last day there and it all went so smoothly. The staff was so kind and willing to help with anything. I highly recommend staying in this hostel, the value of this hotel definitely exceeds what you paid for it.

The hostel is in a very good location, near Nanjing Road and People Square, the dorms are ok, with A/C and ensuite bathroom. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the breakfast is great!!

The best thing about this hostel is the excellent location. Saying that, not all the staff are informative and one was even shouting at us when we complained on a flood in the bathroombathroom (?!). There is no real common area, unless you buy a drink in the roof bar (first and second floors are restaurant). Quiet nights were a bonus though, bed was comfy and the shower was strong. But I wouldn't go back there.

The staff is very helpful.

• 28th Jun 2015

People usually stay at hostels because we travel on budgets. When you have your bar charge 150% increases on their products, you become no better than the 5 star hotels. The prices are silly for a hostel.

• 26th Jun 2015
  • Couple, 41+

The photos look nothing like the actual hostel. The actual hostel is very dated, and old. The 'deluxe' dorm was no different to the normal dorms, it just had less beds in it and was closer to the facilities.

The hostel was very clean and spacious. It was located very near the metro. The room was beautiful-- the only downside was that the entire bathroom (toilet included) had a glass wall facing into the room.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Excellent restaurant with English picture menu no western food. We stayed in four bed dorm as a family no towels or flip flops provided as in other hostels though you did get them if you booked a double room. 10 Yuan per towel. T.V. in room which was goods as lads watched soccer and basketball

I stayed in the dormitory. The hostel is very clean and has a good location. Great value.

Quite a nice location, the only negative was that the bathroom is shared by the whole floor, and there are only two showers in it.

• 7th Jun 2015

Good hostel in a good location. Very social staff and residents. Good rooftop. I had a great time here. Highly recommend!

Excellent location, it is located nearby DaShiJie Subway. Taking the subway can easily bring you to the tourist attractions. If you just have 1 day in Shanghai, a good way to travel around is to start from nearby Museum > YuYuan Garden > Bund > East Nanjing Road.

Nice place, liked it a lot. The rooftop bar is great.

clean room, good facilities and quite good location

Great hostel - we absolutely loved the rooftop bar, spacious 10 bed dorm and cleanliness of bathrooms. The staff were very helpful booking our domestic flights (for a small fee) and recommending places to visit around the city. The restaurants at the bottom and directly opposite the hostel also have great dishes for reasonable prices. Only thing that was a little upsetting was how the staff treated their two rabbits caged on the roof.

No doubt we would come back!

Personally we had some problems because we reserved a 4 bed room and when we arrived they told us they do not assure to stay in the same room and we had to discuss and complain to get a solution. I have a complaint because I reserved a "Deluxe 4 bed room" and when I arrived I found four "beds" without mattress, only a kind of foam of two centimeters on top of a wood table. I was in 12 different hostels in my trip to China and this was the most uncomfortable from the point of view of the beds.

Great location to explore the city. Staff were wery nice and helpful. I've booked mixed 4 bed dorm for 3 nights, but when i arrived a was told that there are 3 men living in the dorm, so i was offered to check in in 6 bed dorm (which was all to myself for 1 night, 2nd night i shared it with another girl). Also this room turned out to be even much better as it was recenly renowated (the whole floor acually was)