The Phoenix Reviews

17 Yunnan (South) road, Shanghai, China

Really clean facilities and rooms; excellent location; fun rooftop bar, and tasty restaurant adjacent. Only con would be it took ~30 minutes of running water to get a hot shower. Definitely will stay again when I come back to Shanghai!

• 4th Jan 2015

The washing service was way to expensive. On ground floor there is a good and cheap restaurant

• 27th Dec 2014

I stayed in the mixed dorm and it was a good experience. I like how everything is clean and new. the beds do not creak, and are quite stable. They provide lockers and keycards, so it was pretty safe and convenient. (Took a peek at the private rooms and they were good too.) I like the location too. There are lots of restaurants and convenience stores in the area. Dashijie station is less than 5 mins away. Yu yuan and the museum are pretty close too!

• 27th Dec 2014
  • tanyaloyola2631
  • Philippines

This place was nice. The rooms were a good size and there were free lockers so I felt my things were safe. The staff was friendly and helpful when approached but seemed a bit indifferent about their guests otherwise. The location is nice, not too far from the subway and towards the center of the city.

It's hard to believe u can find such a good & cheap hostel in the central Shanghai! The hostel is very close to the MRT Dashijie大世界 station. The dorm I stayed was really warm. Except that I don't know where to hang my clothes after laundry.

• 26th Dec 2014
  • Supermanda
  • China

cool hostel with a cool rooftop bar with english speaking. 30 min away from the Bund by walk, but around the hostel is a bank, conveniece stroe and several cheap good restatuarents around.

Good stay. Comfy beds. Nice restaurant beside hostel. Needs better ventilation in bathroom.

AMAZING Location. Decent hostel. Shower takes some time to warmup. Free lock offered. Clean. It is a hotel that has some dorm rooms.

I really enjoyed my stay at The Phoenix. The staff was friendly, my room was clean. I was only there for one evening - but I felt very comfortable. My only complaint is that the wifi signal wasn't as strong in my room. But it was just fine in the cafe/near reception. I felt very happy with my stay!

I only spebd there one night. But what I saw was very good. Clean, confortable and just for my purpose.

Room was fine. Stayed in the mixed dorm. Staff was helpful. Not a great space for meeting people but perhaps it was just the time of the year

Lovely clean hostel in a great location. Would highly recommend, the only negatives were that there wasn't toilet paper, noisy pipes in the room and we got ripped off for laundry. Even with this I would still stay here again though

Good location and clean, but... ...a terrible musty smell in the toilets invades the room every time we opened the door. No toilet paper and I had to ask it twice. They sell some Shanghai maps, but it is a free map provided by the city of Shanghai. I saw it after, so they stole me and it is very dishonest for an hostel.

Good Hostel. Helpful Staff. No Complaints !! Location is very close to metro.

I stayed here for 2 nights, the first night I arrived on a very delayed flight and to my surprise there was someone there and they bumped me up to a basic private room. The second night I stayed in the dorms which had awesome showers. Easily within walking distance of the Underground and M&S Shanghai.

Best hostel experience I've had in Shanghai, and I've been to a few over the last few years.

Nice place to stay in Shanghai. But the hot water in the shower took a very long time to come (almost the lenght of a whole shower !). I also encoutered a bug on the ground just before checking out but I guess that was because of the humid weather in Shanghai and the open window.

DIRTY! i happened to be sleeping during cleaning hours of my room for two of the days and each time the cleaning ladies only made the new beds. they never cleaned the bathroom and only once took out the stinking trash. the front desk staff were not helpful, they knew little about the area and at times were downright condecending. i asked for laundry, they sent me to a dry cleaning place that wanted RMB250 for a load. when i asked them to do my laundry they said it'd take 2-3 days! ridiculous!

sorry i'm not your babysitter,please grow up!

Hostel has big lockers, . It is located close to all attractions. One minute walk to Metro Station. Restaurant on premises. Many restaurants on the street to choose from. Nice roof top bar and meeting place for guests. It is clean and affordable. Every dorm room has its own western bathroom.

• 27th Nov 2014

I stayed in the deluxe private room which I chose because I read reviews on Hostelworld.com that it was more like a hotel than a hostel. I definitely agree! The room was very clean and comfortable, toiletries/towels were provided, and the staff cleaned the room each day. I left all my personal belongings such as mobile phone and money on the table which was never stolen. The staff at the rooftop bar were lovely and it was a perfect place to sit in the sun and drink coffee in the mornings.

• 26th Nov 2014