The Phoenix Reviews

17 Yunnan (South) road, Shanghai, China

The Pheonix hotel has been the best hostel that we have stayed in so far during our trip to China. Amazing value for the money. I booked a dorm room for me and five of my friends and I used their shuttle bus to take us to the airport on our last day there and it all went so smoothly. The staff was so kind and willing to help with anything. I highly recommend staying in this hostel, the value of this hotel definitely exceeds what you paid for it.

The hostel is in a very good location, near Nanjing Road and People Square, the dorms are ok, with A/C and ensuite bathroom. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the breakfast is great!!

The best thing about this hostel is the excellent location. Saying that, not all the staff are informative and one was even shouting at us when we complained on a flood in the bathroombathroom (?!). There is no real common area, unless you buy a drink in the roof bar (first and second floors are restaurant). Quiet nights were a bonus though, bed was comfy and the shower was strong. But I wouldn't go back there.

The staff is very helpful.

• 28th Jun 2015

People usually stay at hostels because we travel on budgets. When you have your bar charge 150% increases on their products, you become no better than the 5 star hotels. The prices are silly for a hostel.

• 26th Jun 2015
  • Couple, 41+

The photos look nothing like the actual hostel. The actual hostel is very dated, and old. The 'deluxe' dorm was no different to the normal dorms, it just had less beds in it and was closer to the facilities.

The hostel was very clean and spacious. It was located very near the metro. The room was beautiful-- the only downside was that the entire bathroom (toilet included) had a glass wall facing into the room.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Excellent restaurant with English picture menu no western food. We stayed in four bed dorm as a family no towels or flip flops provided as in other hostels though you did get them if you booked a double room. 10 Yuan per towel. T.V. in room which was goods as lads watched soccer and basketball

I stayed in the dormitory. The hostel is very clean and has a good location. Great value.

Quite a nice location, the only negative was that the bathroom is shared by the whole floor, and there are only two showers in it.

• 7th Jun 2015