The Phoenix Reviews

17 Yunnan (South) road, Shanghai, China

Great Location, in walking distance of the People's Square and Nanjing Rd./The Bund. Restaurants and supermarkets/shops all around. But Internet was barely working(really slow), so no Skype or VPN. Also no soap in the bathrooms and warm water only occasionally... Furthermore the laundry-service is overpriced and clothes were not folded. But the beds are good and since you're probably in Shanghai for sightseeing (and not for spending your time in the hostel) this hostel is OK.

The bed is very hard. Thin thin matrix on a wood board I guess. The water has to wait for a long time to get hot. And the sound - proofing was bad too. I was woke up by some two men talking on the hallway at 2:00am

• 14th Jan 2015
  • Taiwan

Wifi poor. Rooms very small (2008) . needed to be cleaned properly. Bathroom was not very clean and smelt of urine. Only good thing was location, but everything else was very poor standard.

Great stay would definitely recommend. We felt comfortable leaving valuables in the room. Good restaurant downstairs, and really close to other restaurants and local attractions. Right by the metro. WiFi in room was ok, not perfect. Good hot showers.

Snow is amazing! We would not have been able to book a bunch of our train/plane tickets without his help. There was mold around the windows. Nice street with lots of fruit stalls and restaurants.

Good location and it is worth you money overall. Although there was a Chinese restaurant on the first floor and anyone can find their way up the stairs where the rooms are located.

The room was clean and the bed was fine.. but I stayed at the phoenix for two nights together with my boyfriend and the first night we couldn't sleep because of some kind of pump that made a lot of noise. This was coming from the bar according to the staff. When I went down at 3 am I was promised another room for the second night. The second night in our new room there was a big ventilator next to the window making at least as much noise as the pump the night before. I slept very badly again.

• 5th Jan 2015

Really clean facilities and rooms; excellent location; fun rooftop bar, and tasty restaurant adjacent. Only con would be it took ~30 minutes of running water to get a hot shower. Definitely will stay again when I come back to Shanghai!

• 4th Jan 2015

The washing service was way to expensive. On ground floor there is a good and cheap restaurant

• 27th Dec 2014

I stayed in the mixed dorm and it was a good experience. I like how everything is clean and new. the beds do not creak, and are quite stable. They provide lockers and keycards, so it was pretty safe and convenient. (Took a peek at the private rooms and they were good too.) I like the location too. There are lots of restaurants and convenience stores in the area. Dashijie station is less than 5 mins away. Yu yuan and the museum are pretty close too!

• 27th Dec 2014
  • tanyaloyola2631
  • Philippines

This place was nice. The rooms were a good size and there were free lockers so I felt my things were safe. The staff was friendly and helpful when approached but seemed a bit indifferent about their guests otherwise. The location is nice, not too far from the subway and towards the center of the city.

It's hard to believe u can find such a good & cheap hostel in the central Shanghai! The hostel is very close to the MRT Dashijie大世界 station. The dorm I stayed was really warm. Except that I don't know where to hang my clothes after laundry.

• 26th Dec 2014
  • Supermanda
  • China

cool hostel with a cool rooftop bar with english speaking. 30 min away from the Bund by walk, but around the hostel is a bank, conveniece stroe and several cheap good restatuarents around.

Good stay. Comfy beds. Nice restaurant beside hostel. Needs better ventilation in bathroom.

AMAZING Location. Decent hostel. Shower takes some time to warmup. Free lock offered. Clean. It is a hotel that has some dorm rooms.

I really enjoyed my stay at The Phoenix. The staff was friendly, my room was clean. I was only there for one evening - but I felt very comfortable. My only complaint is that the wifi signal wasn't as strong in my room. But it was just fine in the cafe/near reception. I felt very happy with my stay!

I only spebd there one night. But what I saw was very good. Clean, confortable and just for my purpose.

Room was fine. Stayed in the mixed dorm. Staff was helpful. Not a great space for meeting people but perhaps it was just the time of the year

Lovely clean hostel in a great location. Would highly recommend, the only negatives were that there wasn't toilet paper, noisy pipes in the room and we got ripped off for laundry. Even with this I would still stay here again though

Good location and clean, but... ...a terrible musty smell in the toilets invades the room every time we opened the door. No toilet paper and I had to ask it twice. They sell some Shanghai maps, but it is a free map provided by the city of Shanghai. I saw it after, so they stole me and it is very dishonest for an hostel.