The Phoenix Reviews

17 Yunnan (South) road, Shanghai, China

Stayed in an 8 person dorm but there were actually 9 people. Was full all 3 nights I was there. Very cramped for so many people. No decent maps at the hostel so go to yu yuan where they have tourist info centers and get maps.location excellent- walking distance to nanjing road,yu yuan mart,and the bund if you're willing to walk a bit more.metro is around the corner. Cleanliness is decent-buy toilet paper in case there's none.you need your own tissues around china.restaurant downstairs is decent.

Really good location, really clean room, helpful staff and good for the money.

Really liked this hostel, great location, lovely roof top bar and fantastic showers.

Stayed at a twin private room. Very clean and new. But I didn't like the see-through toilet and thin wall which makes less privacy.

The hostel is in a good location, but I recommend staying somewhere at or near the Bund instead. If you stay at the Pheonix and are troaveling alone I recommend staying in a room with others because the single room is a bad decision for the amount of yuans I had to pay for three days and two nights (around 440 yuans). The room was stuffy unless I kep the air conditioning on or window open. There were bugs and there are no drawers or closets. It is a very small room.

Great location in Shanghai, in a popular street with great food. The staff was very kind , I recommend this hotel

Perfect location, 10 minutes walking disctance to Nanjing Road, 15minutes to the Bund. Only the WIFI sucks and the hostel restaurant is not more than average. Still very recommendable!

Amazing hostel, took me a while to find but its in a great location, staff are so helpful and the restaurant on the ground floor is very useful especially for the first night! Great staff, great value, great hostel.

My room faced the back lane and it was noisy until late at night, presumably from the shop or restaurant at the back. The noise started again very early in the morning when the premise opened for business the next day. I could also hear footsteps from the next room. Not much of a hostel feel; the lift to the rooms was located in a restaurant & I didn't meet any other travelers. Location was perfect though, just a short walk from a subway station and the neighbourhood has many restaurants.

The dorm room was nice. Nice large lockers provided with locks. Nice hot showers. There was no real common lounge area except roof top bar/restaurant and didn't provide well for meeting other travelers.

If you're getting a single room, ask for a room on the 4th floor; rooms on the 2nd floor are not updated. Manager was nice and knowledgable. Location was perfect, 1 block to subway and easy walk to Peoples Square. Atop a restaurant with great pork and shrimp dumplings! Fresh towels daily, shampoo, and body wash. Loud hallway, but not an issue.

Very nice hostel, with a human touch and ideally located (10 minute walk to the Shanghai Museum, concert hall, shopping district, ..). The staff was more than efficient and friendly. To boot, the restaurant served excellent food.

• 9th Nov 2014
  • Belgium
  • Couple, 41+

Bathroom and toilet's door are transparent. Not really comfortable.

stayed in a private twin that was small but very modern and clean. The roof bar was very nice and the staff there very friendly and helpful. Location was good, close to peoples park and subway. Loads of restaurants very close by and convenience store next door. The whole place looks like it has just been revamped. The restaurant downstairs has tasty food but the staff were a bit rude. One night they ran out of a few dishes, including rice!

Great hostel if you are looking for a very central and clean place with good facilities. We stayed in a Deluxe Double Bed Private Ensuite. The room was very nice & clean and felt more like a hotel than a hostel. Comfortable king size bed, tv, towels etc provided. Only negative point is the toilet & shower which are see-through, which can be kind of awkward. Location is awesome close to People Sqare and subway stop. Staff was friendly but not really interested in the guests.

This is an excellent hostel. I stayed in the 8 bed dorm and it was great with comfy beds, full size lockers, power and reading lights at each bunk, a very nice bathroom and even stairs up to the top bunk instead of a ladder. The rooftop bar was also very nice but another common area besides the bar would be nice. As well a kettle in the dorm would make it even better.

In general a decent place to stay. Location is excellent. My only gripe was that the staff were very impersonal. They weren't rude but they seemed to lack personality and were uninterested in us as guests. I've stayed in some hostels where I've been made to feel very welcome by the staff. Here I felt like they didn't really care about us and it was just a job for them. To be honest though, most hostels in Shanghai are like this.

Definitwly not a bad place to stay but aurely there is space for improvement.

This is my absolute favorite hostel in China! Their staff is so helpfull, friendly and over all nice. The roof top bar is one of my favorite places in shanghai.

• 29th Oct 2014
  • Iceland

Very comfortable hostel, almost hotel-like. We did not get the room we reserved for our first night but had to move after one night what I did not appreciate. Honor reservations or do not have any. Also, the toilets are in the same room as the bed and only separated by glass what I find a strange design. Bar was a little quite but we met some nice people. Great location and good value for money.