The Phoenix Reviews

17 Yunnan (South) road, Shanghai, China

In general a decent place to stay. Location is excellent. My only gripe was that the staff were very impersonal. They weren't rude but they seemed to lack personality and were uninterested in us as guests. I've stayed in some hostels where I've been made to feel very welcome by the staff. Here I felt like they didn't really care about us and it was just a job for them. To be honest though, most hostels in Shanghai are like this.

Definitwly not a bad place to stay but aurely there is space for improvement.

This is my absolute favorite hostel in China! Their staff is so helpfull, friendly and over all nice. The roof top bar is one of my favorite places in shanghai.

• 29th Oct 2014
  • Iceland

Very comfortable hostel, almost hotel-like. We did not get the room we reserved for our first night but had to move after one night what I did not appreciate. Honor reservations or do not have any. Also, the toilets are in the same room as the bed and only separated by glass what I find a strange design. Bar was a little quite but we met some nice people. Great location and good value for money.

We stayed in a private double room, a high quality room, the glass doored ensuite will not be to everyone's taste. Location is good, 2 minutes from the metro or you can walk to a lot of sights too. Staff helpful, we booked the acrobatics show which was incredible. Rooftop bar is nice with good coffee. Would recommend.

The location of this Hostel is just perfect!! The staff is very friendly and can give you great discounts on Domestic flights. One thing is a bit weird with the toilets which are like a wall in the room. The doors are 100% transparant. This means that if you want to empty yourself, your roommates can enjoy themselves with all their 5 senses. For the rest I can recommend this place.

The location is awesome, if you want to you can explore all the major sights by foot. The staff is always friendly and helpfull and the interior is really nice. Only at night it can get really noisy from the street, but I guess thats a problem all over Shanghai. If you got your Oropax it shouldn't be a worry

I stayed only one night but loved it. The bar on the roof is really nice :) If you arrive at the airport take the metro to get there. It is easy and so much cheaper than taxi (costs 20-30 times more).

• 17th Oct 2014

This place is very clean and has a great location!

Nice location. Very close to the food street and the metro station. The mixed dorm is clean, wide and comfortable. Highly recommended.

Perfect location. Nice and spacious double room. Clean place. Recommended.

Had an issue with payment, which was solved. Had an issue with bugs, which was remedied. Great location and nice rooftop bar.

The hostel was very clean which is very important. The shower room was also great. Being given mini shampoos and towels everyday was a nice touch. The only problem was that when leaving the air-con on over night there was a noise coming from it which meant that you would have to turn it off to get back to sleep

Every dorm had it's own bathroom and was extremely clean. The rooftop bar would be a good place to hang out with a group and meet people (unfortunately empty when I stayed here). The staff is super nice and helped me book a train ticket.

Great location,only 1 minute from closest subway.Hostel rooms are great,very clean and modern. Staff speak basic English and aren't really willing to go above and beyond, bring a guide book as they have no maps in English.

There is a really good restaurant downstairs that has an English menu and vegetarian options. I wish I could have stayed longer.

They upgraded my sister to a double so that her room was next to ours. Nice room. Bit small for a deluxe but clean and tidy. The frosted glass toilet and shower is a bit, er, intimate! Nice bar. Ace location. Hostel undergoing renovations and hasnt done its common area yet. One is needed as not quite the hostel feel. Local restaurant on grpundfloor.

Bathroom in every dorm not a shared hall bathroom. Very clean. Staff was extremely nice and helpful. Booked a train ticket for me. Didn't use the rooftop bar but it is cool if there are many people in the hostel (not full at the time). Good location

Really good location, but it was not clean at all. The staff was just ok, and the facilities too. The "Single Private Ensuite" was definitely too small and the aircon didn't work really well. Would need to be refurbished to achieve an average standard. I will just recommend it to people only interested in being well located to move around Shanghai. If you're looking for a beautiful, all-serviced room, then this is not your place.

• 16th Sep 2014
  • Spain

Each dorm room has one bathroom... that could be inconvenient in an 8-persom dorm room.