The Phoenix Reviews

17 Yunnan (South) road, Shanghai, China

This hostel is a wonderful place to have a quiet stay. The rooftop garden bar is very convenient and the staff is very friendly. The location is perfect. However, if you're looking for a backpcker's party atmosphere this may not be the place for you. But if you're looking for a quiet stay where you can see all of the sight's and meet some foreigners, this is a great choice. Very clean- if you rent a private room it's like a hotel with towels & toothbrushes included, but dorms also comfortable

Really helpful bar staff. The new rooms are very nice and the old rooms are still great. I made two reservations here. Great location and lots of restaurants near by. Night bus from Hongqiao airport stops next to the hostel and the hostel is also close to Dashijie metro station.

The room is really clean, and the inside of the hostel looks like a hotel ... The location is pretty nice because the subway station is pretty close and you can get everywhere really fast ... I really recommend this place!!! The only thing that bothered me was all the noise in the morning, it woke me up at around 7 i think because of the refurnishing your making .. Everything else was ok..

I stayed on the second floor, which was overrun with cockroaches, and had a strong odor of mold, rot, and who knows what. When I complained about the cockroaches, which kept me from going to SLEEP, I was told that there was nothing they could do, and that all of China has cockroaches. I will never go back to that disgusting place.

• 20th Jun 2014

This hostel is well located, however, I must have killed 8 cockroaches over the course of the night and there were fleas on the floor of the room! Pest inspection definitely a must!

Try to avoid getting a room in second floor...hat lots of bugs in my room and terrible smell everywhere. Fourth floor looked pretty nice though, seemed to be renovated recently.

We had a lovely clean twin room. Quite spacious, hardly any noise and the AC worked beautifully. We enjoyed our stay here and would happily come again.

This bacpack is quite good and has an excellent location. The staff is helpful as well. The bed are quite hard though and more important than that : every morning from 7 am a jackhammer was making a huge and infernal noise !! So the hotel itself is great but ask before if they are still doing renovation or not !

I should note that construction on the hostel is apparently still going on, but it was not disruptive to our stay. Our room had been recently renovated and was both spacious and clean. AC was functional. Overall it was a good value for the money.

The breakfast was over priced. Go out to the street for cheaper food or even the convenient store. The service was great though!

• 27th May 2014

The security was adequate; with lockable cupboards available in the dorm-style rooms to keep valuables safe. Yunnan Road, the street on which The Phoenix is located, is a very cultural place where it is easy to get good food at low costs, but the street has an unpleasant smell that is a motif in Shanghai. The staff at the front desk could be bristly at times, but they were helpful. The staff at the rooftop bar contributed to the atmosphere: they were fun and accommodating for drinks & breakfast.

• 26th May 2014