The Pickled Frog Reviews

281 Liverpool St, Tasmania, Hobart, Australia

cool atmosphere. bar, hammocks, pool table and DVD/TV lounge all great facilities. would stay again!

When! the staff is cleaning the rooms, you should tell people (doesn't matter who long the stay) they can't throw their staff everywhere. We couldn't even open the door when we arrived. This hostel have a parking area (around 10 paces) but the give everybody a pass to stay there. So if you come back from a trip it is not sure that you can get your spot again.

I love the firework, ghitar and singing time in the evening of the backpackers around lounge. I stayed there 5 days and I absolutely loved the cosy atmosphere and friendly people. The free trips are a saving on my travel budget. Coffee and drink were cheaper than anywhere else. However, the building and facilities are old. In general, I still highly recommend this place to any travelers who like to have free tours and meet interesting people along the way.

• 5th Nov 2014
  • Vietnam

Kitchen is far too small for the size of the hostel, and is always very dirty. We stayed for three nights and had to eat out every night. They also advertise a car park, but again is far too small for the size of the hostel and we only managed to get a space once. The toilets are horrible and dirty. We booked a double room and were given a bunk bed. When we arrived a female member of staff told us to wait for the other member of staff to check us in, as she couldn't be bothered to do it.

• 3rd Nov 2014

Great place with a nice atmosphere and helpful staff, well located near the CBD and buses. Room was on the small side but adequate, and there was just the odd occasion where floors and washrooms could have been a wee bit cleaner, but overall it was absolutely fine. Recommended!

Great atmosphere, really cool hostel!

Everything is great here. One of the best hostels I have stayed in. Dorms quiet at night for sleeping. Good social common area. Good location. Clean place. Nothing I don't like about it.

The Pickled Frog was really great. It's very cozy and nice. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Free wifi and free trips to Mt Wellington and a few other places are a big plus. Nice selection of very cheap drinks. Really nice atmosphere. I loved my stay here! I highly recommend it!

I had a great stay, it has a great dual kind of style/atmosphere with a great little bar area at the front and a homely type area round the back. So I could feel happy if in the mood for tea and reading or for a beer and a chat. I felt comfortable and the staff were lovely.

• 19th Sep 2014

The hostel was good, but there were not many people. Only a couple of older Asian people and no other backpackers. Therefor the atmosfere is poor. But I think when you are in high season with a lot of backpackers, than it's so much better. All the other things were really good!

The Pickled Frog is a great base for a trip to Hobart. It's centrally located, just a few minutes walk from the town centre shops, restaurants and the harbour. The bus station is also just a 5 minute walk away, with easy access to the airport. The twin room itself was perfectly fine with comfy beds and a sink. The common room is large with comfy couches and lots of DVDs to use. It was a little noisy one of the nights, but overall a good experience.

We enjoyed out stay there. The doors are not the best for keeping out the sound, I'd recommend ear plugs. The bathrooms weren't the best in the world but they were grand.

• 11th Sep 2014

The hostel is a old building so bare that in mine that its cold and not that clean but as far as atmosphere/staff this is the place to go! Very cosy hostel with a fireplace and beanbags ...perfect way to chill in the sleepy town that is Hobart. Hostel also does free shuttle bus to Mt Wellington which is a most do! Perfect views of the whole city.

Great location in the city. couldn't ask for better. The attached bar was very cheap and great to sit in. would not hesitate to come back.

That so much for your awesome review - what a legend! Catch you next time...

Dude, so good. Really great atmosphere, chill people; I was there only one night and had a blast! Free trips to Mt Wellington among other places. Highly recommend!

Dude! It's so good to get positive feedback such as this. We're so happy we could help you have a a grand old time in Hobart

Lovely hostel. Log fires, large comfortable communal areas, clean dorms. Cheap beers and wines at reception, plus very nice coffees. Easy reach of just about everything plus some little free tours are a nice touch :)

• 16th Aug 2014

Great free trips, including one to Mt Wellington. Well equipped kitchen, good, free wifi, lots of comfy space

Thanks so much for your kind words. We're very glad to hear you had such a nice stay at The Frog :)

The hostel was not particularly clean. The kitchen was messy. A lot of utensils were broken or unusable. One of the female bathroom downstairs cannot be locked. The shower hooks were very high. No hooks at the toilet upstairs.

• 10th Aug 2014

Awesome atmosphere, really nice staff, close to town. Awesome place!! :)

• 5th Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

I absolutely hated this hostel, very cold, no heaters, electricity power points work one time on ten...

• 29th Jul 2014

Bonjor Pierre. I'm very sorry to hear you didn't have the best time at our lovely hostel. As with most things in life - if you let someone know there is a problem they can more often than not fix it for you. If you had let us know about any of the above issues we could certainly have made your stay a lot more to your liking - we have a a whole room of heaters available whenever people ask for them and if we'd been told about any electrical problems we could've fixed that too; problems solved.