The Purple House International Backpackers' Hostel Reviews

Avenida Sexta Oesta y Calle C Sur, atras de la Camara de Comercio, David City, Panama

I just stayed in the Purple House one night, in between bus rides, and it was a very decent place to do so. The hostel was clean and comfortable, and Andrea is a welcoming host. She was also very responsive when I told here there was a problem with the dorm's bathroom -- took care of it that same morning. All in all, a good bang for your buck.

Andrea was very helpful and even gave me a free room upgrade from a private without a TV to one that had one after I shared my plan to just relax all day. Also she shared with me some bananas from the tree outside that had just ripened_ delicious!! Be aware of the fine print for the private rooms as ac is available, but not included in the price!

great little hostel. has a big shopping centre very close, including a 24-hour supermarket. you pay $1 extra for a hot shower but this is one town we didn't need one of those! host was super friendly and lots of information to offer. down side was no breakfast incl which was kinda inconvenient if you're only there 1 night (but you do get coffee), and its a decent walk from the bus station, especially in the heat with a heavy pack but apparently its only a couple of $ for a taxi.would recommend

This hostel was an ok value for the money. However, the space felt claustrophobic, wasn't very clean, and smelled like dog.

We really appreciate you mentioning the good value for the money. A message from Cute-si, "I'm so sorry and embarrassed that my bad odor made you think the hostel was dirty! I was having a strange allergic reaction to a new brand of food, and it made my skin and fur smell terrible for about 2 weeks (even though my owners were giving me frequent baths). My doctor said the problem was systemic, so we just had to wait it out. Now I have new food and I smell great! (for a dog...). PH is clean!

Nice place. Andrea was very helpful. It doesn't have AC and it is very hot in David so be prepared for that.

Hi Tim, thanks for the kind words. Just for your information, our private rooms all have AC and in about 3-4 months we will be installing air-conditioning in one of our dorms. Come back soon!

Hope you like the color purple! :P This place was a nice place to spend the night... Peaceful, which was good, because the only reason I was in David was to catch a bus early the next morning. That's what this hostel was was just a peaceful place to stay. The staff was nice enough, and the house was nice enough and clean. But don't expect a party here!

Well, the hostel gods of PEACE and QUIET must have been shining their countenance upon you because things can get pretty loud and crazy here too, at times we have quite the party crowd! Happy you got your good night sleep when you needed it!

Great location love the purple

We just have stayed there for one night on our way to Boquete and the Hostel "Mama" was very friendly and shared a lot of information about what we should do in Boquete. The Hostel is a 5min taxi ride from the bus station and the next super market is 5 minutes on foot.

Hostel is fairly basic, but has good wifi. You need to pay extra for hot showers and air conditioning, but for the price of the rooms that's not too big a slap in the face. Middle of the road sort of place, not bad, but not great either.

THE reason to come to David! Hostel owners should be learning from Andrea, the owner, how to run their hostels! I've seen 55 countries and perhaps at least 200 hostels but none like this before first of all because of the unique personal touch by the owner. It makes the entire experience when there's someone to genuinely help you in a foreign country. The hostel is highest metaphysical color of purple and I loved it it was sooo good all I'm going to say is I really love this place!

This is a good place for a short stay in David. The interior of the hostel looks a bit tired but the dorms are comfortable and the bathrooms are clean. The owner is knowledgeable and has lots of info on the surrounding area. There is a computer for guest use (a bit unreliable), a kitchen and free coffee available all day. The hostel is about a 15 minute walk from downtown David but there is a handy supermarket nearby. There is also a courtyard and hammocks outside which are nice for chilling.

Thanks for your review! We have spruced up the interior of the hostel with new furniture and a PURPLE paint job. Come visit!

Purple House is not for long term stays, alright for a night or 2 but that's it. The staff are helpful & courteous & the cost is reasonable but it is definitely showing every day of it's 11 yr. history & could really use an upgrade or makeover if you will: our bathroom was unusual, the toilet is so close to the wall that our knees hit the wall when we sat down. (I am 5'9" & my wife is 5'5") On the plus side the bus Station is a $2 taxi ride away, the Airport $5 and a large Supermarket is close.

Hi Steve! We appreciate your comments and we couldn't agree more, The Purple House is NOT for long term stays. We are a budget-conscious hostel for backpackers and travelers who are interested in finding a clean, safe, comfortable, well located place to spend a few nights (we normally set a 1 week limit). We also agree that the bathroom in your room wasn't designed well by the original owners of this house. Due to our limited budget, we have been unable to over-haul it. So we sit sideways! :)

The Purple House is an ok place to stay

We stayed in the six bed dorm room. Although our room and beds were fairly clean, the common areas are in need of some attention. The chair covers in the living room area needed a wash. We found the hostel dog asleep in these chairs a number of times. I think if hostels have dogs in these common areas it should be stated on their website. Dog food was also stored in the guest fridge in the common kitchen during our stay.

Although we are constantly working to keep the hostel neat, it's a challenge to "deep" clean the common areas every single day because guests are hanging out there. Photos and comments about our dog Cute-si are on several pages of our website. Some of our dog-loving guests invite her up to sit on the furniture, so we lost that battle years ago. Yes, we keep a small bag of her dry food in a drawer (labeled private) in the big shared refrigerator. It's never been reported as a problem before.

Very pleasant and friendly as always. For a few dollars more (to quote an old Western!) Room D with the private bathroom is worth the extra, and it's also away from the noise of the traffic.

Friendly, comfortable and a good place to meet other people.

Had a great time at The Purple House. Andrea (owner/manager) and staff are super friendly and helpful. Great location in a safe neighborhood, only three blocks from a nice market, restaurants, and buses to the central terminal. Very laid back atmosphere - made tons of great friends! \When the hostel is full, the two bathrooms can be pretty busy. An optimal place for backpackers looking to make friends and save money at the same time. Not ideal for travelers looking for a lot of privacy.

• 18th Jan 2013

Thanks so much for the kind comments and it was a pleasure to have you here also. Just for the record...there is actually a total of 5 bathrooms in the hostel...4 of them have public access, the other one is in a private room.

This is a hostel where people go between transit. The owner is very helpful. we enjoyed using the kitchen! Very cozy environment and intimateness.

Knows what the independant traveller needs - and gives it with "No fuss, No frills, No nonsense".Great !

Clean, well kept. Friendly staff, very accomidating.

« first « Prev 1 2 3