The Raging Elk International Hostel Fernie

Very Good 231 Total Reviews

• New Zealand, Female, 41+
5th Mar 2017
6.9

Well situated on corner of quiet street about 5-10min walk from centre of Fernie and supermarket. Squeaky Mattresses covered in plastic, bunks creaky so a bit noisy but nothing earplugs won't fix. Rooms are old but adequate and have lockers. If you like a quiet night sleep, I suggest you don't get a room over the bar. It's not always busy and if you're in the bar making the noise it won't matter though. Its old/tired and would look fantastic with a reno. Staff during my staff were fantastic.

• Germany, Female, 41+
25th Feb 2017

Excellent

• Canada, Couple, 31-40
10th Feb 2017
6.0

We cancelled our stay because of the price. Watch carefully when you book. The website run by Hostel World shows what you assume is the total price because is says "Total". However in tiny grey letters underneath is details fees not included in the "Total". I didn't see the true price until I got my confirmation email. When I canceled 5 minutes after making the booking, I had to pay a $20 cancellation fee. I'm sure the hostel in Fernie is just fine but I will not do business with Hostel World.

• Chile, Male, 31-40
6th Feb 2017
4.3

hello everyone! canada has been an amazing experience, great skiing all over the place. im travelling pursuing my acmg ski guide cert. and i must say the only bad note about this month long trip was staying at the ranging elk. I experienced racism from one australian guy who works as a bar tender. he was very agressive and insulted me with the f word because i wasnt tiping! the next day hanging out with my colegues he aproached the table to offend me again. so i left and never go back again

I am glad that you have been enjoying your trip across Canada. I did a thorough investigation after receiving your complaint which involves speaking to the staff and checking our security camera footage and Unfortunately you were quite clearly asked to leave the bar because you were intoxicated and abusive towards 3 different staff members on a very busy night.Since then I have noticed you have come back to our bar on two different occassions and the staff have been nothing but polite and professional towards you. Our staff come from 6 different countries and I can guarantee that they pride themselves in their customer service and are not racist. This is in fact the first complaint I have ever received about them. I am sorry about this very unfortunate incident

• Canada, Male, 25-30
4th Feb 2017
6.9

All was great and on point. Dorm room matterss were great if you like sleeping on a bed of roots. Matterss' were awful, tough to snowboard 3 days and try to get some decent rest.

• Canada, Male, 31-40
3rd Feb 2017
6.3

A note in the hallway our room was in read, 'please tip toe after 11pm as people are sleeping'. Meanwhile you can hear loud music and people cheering from the bar 1 floor directly below us until 1230am. Not fun when you're tired from skiing for 7 hours earlier that day and going to do it again tomorrow. The beds are pure garbage can't get a good sleep here. Staff is friendly at least.

• Australia, Couple, 25-30
2nd Feb 2017
5.1

Rooms quite small, minimal hanging space. Very loud bar downstairs until 1am on a good night. Some staff were great, some couldn't tell you the time. Basic pancake breaky included, good pancakes but long wait. Parking free and very limited and the staff can advise you of parking the car over a km away.. their only suggestion when the limited parking is full. Kitchen facilities were good (the parts that worked). Good atmosphere. Close to hockey and that is it!

• USA, Male, 41+
29th Jan 2017
8.0

The hostel is a good one and the staff were fantastic and friendly and knowledgeable: Liz gave me tips about where to stay in Nelson later and suggested taking the ferry (which I did! it was great!). The only downside: I'm 53, and--at least when I was there--this hostel definitely caters to the noisy 20something bro crowd, a great deal more than other hostels I stayed at this trip in Revelstoke, Golden, and Lake Louise.

• Australia, Male, 25-30
27th Jan 2017
2.6

The facility is old and out dated, there seems to be no standard throughout Canada. Kitchen and bedrooms for the price paid are not value for money, could stay in a hotel with better standards for just a little more. Also they take a $200 Secuity fee which I'm still to get back, even though they told me it would be back in my account that afternoon, and still no joy!

Hi Scott, I am sorry you did not enjoy our facilities. With regards to the security fee it is a standard fee we do charge because we have just repainted all of our family rooms, as well as put in new flooring and bed linens. When you alerted me this afternoon that your deposit was not cleared. I cleared it with monairs straight away and I requested a receipt to confirm that this was done.. If you feel it still has not been cleared on your end I can forward you a copy of this receipt.

• Canada, Female, 41+
19th Jan 2017
6.0

It was the wrong place for me. I'm not 20 anymore and not a skiier. The bar in the place should have been a warning for me. But I drove far enough that day and the rain was turning to ice. The 1 wool army blanket wasn't enought to keep me warm and something in the bed made me icthy all night. The bathrooms were clear though. The hostel in Golden was much nicer. I think I'll spend a bit more and get a motel room next time.