The Ritz for Backpackers Reviews

169 Fitzroy Street, St. Kilda Beach, Melbourne, Australia

The staff was average due to the fact that they weren't really reliable, somewhat unorganized, would often refer me to someone else, & had miscommunication issues. The cleanliness was poor because the bathroom was cleaned enough, there were stains on the sheets/towels, and the bedroom floors weren't swept. Being that it was pretty cheap, I can say I that I received the value for my money. The facilities could also be improved along with the customer service.

• 10th Mar 2015

This place was in a great location in St Kilda, good tram access and close to the beach. Free WiFi and daily breakfast pancakes were great too. It did get a bit noisy at times but this was advertised as a party hostel so was to be expected. Lots of friendly people and helpful staff, I even got upgraded to a private room for most of my stay! I'd recommend it for those wanting to meet lots of backpackers and party.

A lot of the backpackers were living there for an extended amount of time and they didn't like to lock the doors of the room. I was worried people would go through my things. I locked up what ever I could in my tiny locker

Very noisy hotel even without the pub underneath. You hear everything in the hallways. My room was on the second floor above the 'courtyard'. People were loud out there and you had to shut the window to get any privacy. Also only one outlet for two plugs in the whole room. One was taken by the fridge and if you wanted the fan on because there's no aircon in the rooms and window was closed to have a little privacy. Then you couldn't plug in anything else.

A very young group, mostly backpackers. Can get quite loud and the noise really travels. Would be fun for people hoping to meet other backpackers, otherwise would not be a place for someone who wants peace and quiet. Location is convenient for those travelling along Fitzroy and St Kilda. Although transportation around Melbourne is probably the most convenient that I have ever come across. Decent enough. Needs more sinks.

• 29th Jan 2015

The fact that the ritz allows people to stay for several weeks or even months makes it uncomfortable and awkward for those who are only passing through for a few days. Their belongings are strewn everywhere throughout the rooms, taking up almost all the available space. Also the one British guy who checked me in (baldish, looks like a hobbit) was one of the most unfriendly and unhelpful hostel receptionists I've experienced in my life. He is worthless.

Cracking hostel. Good staff, clean rooms and bathrooms. Great people who are all up for a laugh, good atmosphere. Free pancakes for breakfast, printing, wifi, wine and cheese night, friday BBQ all make this a worthwhile place to stay and top value. Plus there is a pool table, PS4 and a nice communal area. Stay here!

Staff is nice. With the exception of maybe 2 residents they were very unwelcoming and made being in the hostel quite awkward.

I felt unwelcomed by most of the guests. as i was only staying 4 nights and most of the rest of the guests were at staying for 3 months (one guy for almost three years) or more I felt as though everyone already had their friends and were very unwilling to make more. All of the common areas closed at 10pm which made it very difficult to socialize with the few friends i did make past that point without going out. was clean, they had free lockers, and the wifi works well. Wound not recommend

• 19th Dec 2014

Too noisy, shower was always cold. We had no sleep for a week. Wifi connection was too slow and limited. Hostel was too overpriced . Would not recommend to anyone! WORST PLACE EVER!!!

• 13th Nov 2014
  • Estonia

An alright option for a night or two. The wifi is really good, showers are hot, and beds are comfy. Good location if you want to be in St Kilda, beach is just a short stroll away, next to lots of pubs and cafes, and the tram stop is nearby? Tram no.16 goes to and from the city in 15mins. The only downside was the other guests, mostly early twenties English long term stayers who treat the common area like it's their lounge room and are not very friendly.

Booked it last minute and got a really good deal on a private twin room - compared to hotels at crazy prices over the Melbourne cup weekend, it was perfect. Staff were friendly too when we were a bit late checking out the next day! :) Great location too - you prob want to be in party mode though and not looking for a tranquil location

love the double room with the fridge in it! Free wifi and pancakes at breakfast Chris and others staff member very kind

Too much parties, too noisy, bed was moving until 3 am with the loud music and basses. 2 Horribles nights.

• 24th Oct 2014
  • Belgium

The hostel was clean and comfortable, the room was nice but it was only the other guests letting it down, making noise, running up and down corridors and shouting all night. not somewhere I would recommend if you actually plan on trying to sleep at night...