The Ritz for Backpackers Reviews

169 Fitzroy Street, St. Kilda Beach, Melbourne, Australia

This hostel was a party hostel, with literally 24hrs party music on and an overwhelming smell of vodka everywhere. So if you don't mind that it's a great hostel. Other than that, stay away. I liked the free pancakes in the morning tho and the hostel itself is nicely furnished and quite neat.

• 2nd Apr 2015

The staff was average due to the fact that they weren't really reliable, somewhat unorganized, would often refer me to someone else, & had miscommunication issues. The cleanliness was poor because the bathroom was cleaned enough, there were stains on the sheets/towels, and the bedroom floors weren't swept. Being that it was pretty cheap, I can say I that I received the value for my money. The facilities could also be improved along with the customer service.

• 10th Mar 2015

This place was in a great location in St Kilda, good tram access and close to the beach. Free WiFi and daily breakfast pancakes were great too. It did get a bit noisy at times but this was advertised as a party hostel so was to be expected. Lots of friendly people and helpful staff, I even got upgraded to a private room for most of my stay! I'd recommend it for those wanting to meet lots of backpackers and party.

A lot of the backpackers were living there for an extended amount of time and they didn't like to lock the doors of the room. I was worried people would go through my things. I locked up what ever I could in my tiny locker

Very noisy hotel even without the pub underneath. You hear everything in the hallways. My room was on the second floor above the 'courtyard'. People were loud out there and you had to shut the window to get any privacy. Also only one outlet for two plugs in the whole room. One was taken by the fridge and if you wanted the fan on because there's no aircon in the rooms and window was closed to have a little privacy. Then you couldn't plug in anything else.

A very young group, mostly backpackers. Can get quite loud and the noise really travels. Would be fun for people hoping to meet other backpackers, otherwise would not be a place for someone who wants peace and quiet. Location is convenient for those travelling along Fitzroy and St Kilda. Although transportation around Melbourne is probably the most convenient that I have ever come across. Decent enough. Needs more sinks.

The fact that the ritz allows people to stay for several weeks or even months makes it uncomfortable and awkward for those who are only passing through for a few days. Their belongings are strewn everywhere throughout the rooms, taking up almost all the available space. Also the one British guy who checked me in (baldish, looks like a hobbit) was one of the most unfriendly and unhelpful hostel receptionists I've experienced in my life. He is worthless.

Cracking hostel. Good staff, clean rooms and bathrooms. Great people who are all up for a laugh, good atmosphere. Free pancakes for breakfast, printing, wifi, wine and cheese night, friday BBQ all make this a worthwhile place to stay and top value. Plus there is a pool table, PS4 and a nice communal area. Stay here!

Staff is nice. With the exception of maybe 2 residents they were very unwelcoming and made being in the hostel quite awkward.

I felt unwelcomed by most of the guests. as i was only staying 4 nights and most of the rest of the guests were at staying for 3 months (one guy for almost three years) or more I felt as though everyone already had their friends and were very unwilling to make more. All of the common areas closed at 10pm which made it very difficult to socialize with the few friends i did make past that point without going out. was clean, they had free lockers, and the wifi works well. Wound not recommend

• 19th Dec 2014