The Ritz for Backpackers Reviews

169 Fitzroy Street, St. Kilda Beach, Melbourne, Australia

Zero security. Door always left open. Dirty. Made one of us sleep in an un made bed. Over all bad hostel

I was disappointed. The hostel was dirty, staff unhelpful, many of the facilities listed were not available. A major issue was no air conditioning. It was the strangest hostel I've ever stayed in as there are so many long term guests, no one speaks to each other. Yes, it's a great location and a fair enough price but if I was going back to the area, I wouldn't stay here.

• 17th Jan 2016
  • Scotland

Booked for one night but they cancelled at the last moment saying that there had been a bed mix up. I was there long enough to see that its location is good and staff seemed friendly. But I really can't comment on much else :(

You must have more plugls maaaaaan

The staff and atmosphere were nice, but there was a lack of respect of people trying to sleep. People screamed around into very late hours and didn't care at all about others. Maybe signs advertising for silence after a certain time would make people a bit more conscious about this.

• 1st Jan 2016

One of the better hostels I've stayed in. Wish I booked more time there. Every time I check it's fully booked :( The room I as in was great. The beds are good. The staff are nice. The internet actually works. Someone needs to go through the fridges more often though. They're all in need of a proper clean out. You could probably use another too.

Terrible. Hostel full of long termers so you feel like you're staying unwelcome in someone's house. Level of cleanliness is one of the worst I have seen and I've spent the past 3 months travelling remote regions in Asia. The used condom under the bed topped it off! I've noticed with hostels that employ residents as cleaners really suffer. I'm sure you can get better value for money somewhere else in St Kilda.

• 28th Dec 2015

The Staff were very helpful,the Wi Fi was also great,they also have 2 great common areas,I would recommend,and stay here again

This hostel is FULL of long termers that want nothing to do with newbies. They make you feel so out of place! If you plan on staying at this hostel you won't be sleeping as there are live bands in the pub downstairs until 3am. No one has any consideration for others and people walk in and out your room constantly. The dorm rooms are never locked, they don't provide lockers and there isn't a free breakfast! Only good thing location & the 500mb free wifi per day. Don't stay here waste of money

Really good hostel for people who are working. We weren't still had a great time everyone was very welcoming but had to be cautious of walking people up when coming in.

• 1st Dec 2015

Loved this hostel! Couldn't ask for a better location to stay in Melbourne! Staff are great, really helpful! I found the place to be spacious and user friendly, had s really good vibe to the place. Comfy bed and very clean room and bathrooms which are very important. Would recommend definitely

Had a great stay here would definitely come back the free pan cakes in the morning a nice touch

The rooms in this hostel look cozy and you get kind of a "homefeeling", even though it's untidy very often. It's mostly a longterm Hostel full of longtermers.. Almost everyone is from the UK and quite cliquey. As a new person on your own you feel ignored. The longterm people act like they own the place and are really inconsiderate. Moreover I had to change rooms a lot of times because they are not well organized and often booked out at this time of the year.

• 10th Nov 2015

Great Staff, great service. The room where I stayed had some unidentified stuff in the corners, but thats my only complaint.

Great hostel and very nice staff who make sure you have a great stay. The room was very confortable and beds are very good (2 pillows per bed). Free pancakes for the morning breakfast, but we ask some people for that and they didn't know about the free breakfast and was surprising, so maybe a little lack of communication from the staff. Anyway this is one of the best hostels among the 7 we went in in Melbourne.

• 9th Nov 2015

I booked the hostel. When I arrived there, the hostel was a house party. The staff were drunk and said that my booking was not valid and didn't give any room

The fridges need monitored for food that's gone of in the kitchen.

• 23rd Oct 2015
  • New Zealand

Stay here only if you dont have any other option cause it is really noisy (bar downstairs and party in) so its difficult to rest/sleep even if ur drunk