The Riverhouse Backpackers Reviews

59 Fitzhamon Embankment, Cardiff, Wales

2012 Total Reviews

To be completly honnest I had such a wonderful time in Cardiff that I barely passed time with people in the hostel, but the few I had in the room was perfect for me. For the rest what can I say that was awesome, the emplacement great, the building beautiful, the kitchen full of charm and the cherry on the top was the breakfast, oh my, for a gluttonous as I am it was a great way to start a long day of discoveries

Very nice place, good location, friendly staff. Recommend 100%. The only drawback is that the hostel is quite small, like the common area and the rooms.

Amazing , loved the house atmosphere here

Absurdly great hostel. Nice rooms, exclusive facilities (yeah exclusive, even though it is a hostel) and an amazing breakfast. The location is great as well. They certainly deserve the title as the best hostel in the UK.

We had such a great time at the hostel, rooms were cleaned, the place was really nice and the breakfast....yummy. I love that they offer free cider on saturday night, what give you the chance to meet up another backpackers, GREAT IDEA! The only bad point is that the showers can not be regulated, normally the water is either cold or too hot. But it is a little detail

• 10th Apr 2015
  • Spain

Been to Cardiff a few times and the best hostel we have stayed in by far! Amazing value for money, already planning next trip back.

Location was perfect if you rent a car. We were able to park, which is surprisingly difficult to do in Cardiff, and walk to everything we wanted to see. 5 minutes yo Cardiff castle, 10 minutes from the center of the city. Felt very safe in the hostel and walking at night. The staff were incredibly friendly and very helpful. The shower was malfunctioning when we were, there, it was stuck on unbearably hot, but aside from that this was one of the very best hostels I've ever been to!

• 6th Apr 2015

This was an excellent hostel! It had a vibrant, social atmosphere, clean kitchen and bathroom facilities and friendly staff. We made the most of several free offers, that were great opportunities to meet and get to know our fellow guests - free cider and snacks one night, free belgian waffles and ice cream another. The complimentary breakfast was also of a high standard (one suggestion - gluten free bread!).

• 27th Mar 2015

Great hostel, one of the best I stayed in! Comfortable common area as living room, dining room and kitchen. Huge private bathrooms on each floor. Free breakfast that is really good. The staff is very nice and helpfull. Only down side is the size of the room which is really small (no space for the luggage/backpack as the beds took all the space available). The ladder of the metallic bunk bed is very noisy when you clim up/down.

It was the best hostel I've ever stayed in! It was like living in a house with a bunch of people rather than a hotel or hostel. Everyone was really lovely and we had a very pleasant time. It is also close to a lo of things in Cardiff and we felt very safe.

• 15th Mar 2015

Very nice staff and AMAZING free breakfast!

Staff were lovely, made me feel very welcome and the facilities are charming.

really nice place, clean quiet and nice staff. and this is the first hostel that i have ever lived offer FREE breakfast which is quite delicious. the bed and pillow are really soft and comfortable as well. 5 mins walking to the central train station and 10 mins to the castle. and there is a lovely cat, mew

My stay was amazing, the owners are so nice and helpful and it almost feels being at someone's house rather then a hostel. The breakfast is great, a real boost for the day! Very clean bathrooms and bedrooms and overall, a nice, quiet and friendly place to be. I definetely recommend it!

Great place to stay. My only critique, if you can call it that was the shower water pressure was low. Everything else completely exceeded my expectations.

• 19th Feb 2015

An excellent place to stay overnight! Good bed, great food and everything is awesome :D

• 15th Feb 2015
  • Thailand

Very nice place, clean and excellent staff . I highly recommend it.

I loved my stay here! Charlie and Abi are so sweet and super helpful. They give you lists of things to do within walking distance and are knowledgeable on how to get anywhere in Cardiff. Also, they have cute events almost every night like free cider and chips or free chocolate cake, and the breakfast is amazing. The only issue I ha was that I couldn't turn the heat on the shower down- it was too hot (and really, is that even an issue?) Highly recommend staying here!!

This is the best hostel I have ever stayed in. It's a home away from home for travellers. It's really a cozy place, comfortable, clean and very friendly! The breakfast it's amazing and in the evenings there are sometimes free cakes or 1/2 pound dinners on offer. Also the two owners (Abbi and Charlie) are really nice, friendly and helpful! I have nothing to complain about! The Riverside Backpackers is what every hostel should be like!!

I honestly have no complaints. They're conveniently located with many Cardiff attractions and the city center being just a 10 minute walk away. The whole place (rooms/bathrooms/community areas) are kept clean and the community area is a great place to just hang out, meet new people, etc. Charlie and Abi (the owners/receptionists) are so great, personable, and super friendly. They plan activities almost every evening to meet new people and the free breakfasts are great. This is a great place!

• 7th Feb 2015