The Riverhouse Backpackers Reviews

59 Fitzhamon Embankment, Cardiff, Wales

1926 Total Reviews

This hostel was awesome! I think it is the first one ever to which I give full marks. They won my heart with cheesecake, they really did, and I had never had such a great breakfast in a hostel as I did here. The staff was soooo nice, the atmosphere was cool and their recommendations for places to visit were spot on. I have to say I expected something more modern but in the end, the cozy feeling in this hostel made my experience in Cardiff great.

Very clean, nice accommodations, good continental breakfast, secure facilities, nice bathrooms, and good location. Would stay here again if I return to Cardiff.

• 2nd Oct 2014

The hostel is well kept, great location near the Cardiff Castle, the High st, and train station. They had group dinners, and free desert nights which made for a great atmosphere. The staff was friendly and helpful. Great time.

Wonderful hostel. Warm welcome, bit weak on events within the hostel which was a shame but then again they were mostly students so that would get old quick. Love that the bathrooms were always clean and the offer of it being cleaned if it wasn't; up to scratch was appreciated. Great TV room too.

We had an absolutely lovely stay here. The staff was very friendly, the room was spacious and clean (we got a private bedroom), and there were plenty of bathrooms, so you never had to wait long. (Although watch out, the water gets VERY hot.) Breakfast in the morning was nice and filling, and the location was absolutely perfect. We would love to stay here again, should we find ourselves in Wales.

• 24th Sep 2014

Amazing hostel. Great community feel, very clean and the guys running it were really cool. Definitely check it out if you're in Cardiff.

Situated within a quintessential Victorian home, located literally a stones throw across the River Taff from the iconic Millennium Stadium and a mere five minute stroll over the bridge to the heart of central Cardiff, The Riverhouse Backpackers sets the stage for a cozy, comfortable, clean, and convenient visit to one of the friendliest capital cities in the UK and Europe. Above all, owners Abi & Charlie, sister and brother, spoil guests with the warmth of true Welsh hospitality.

Hands down, The Riverhouse is the best hostel I've ever stayed in. Great location to Cardiff's center, lockers, fast wifi, £1 dinner nights, river views, and great common areas, and I can't say enough great things about Charlie and Abi. They go over and above to make you feel at home. I extended my stay twenty minutes after I checked in. The Riverhouse made it so hard for me to leave Cardiff, but it will definitely be the place I stay when I visit again!

It was a beautiful spot, close to the river and right in the center of town. Also it was really close to the train station.

A great place to stay within walking distance of Cardiff city centre nice breakfast staff friendly and knowledgable

Awesome Hostel best i have ever stayed needs more showers

• 16th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Very clean and lovely staff! Did not expect such an enjoyable stay for this low price!

• 15th Sep 2014

Good and clean.

Location is so central and the staff could not be nicer! Very helpful will definitely stay there again!

• 12th Sep 2014

Awesome hostel! the owners are so nice and the breakfast is excellent!! Many nights a week there is some free food or drink served in the kitchen, it's a great way to get everyone together and meet new people. Really a fun and quiet place to stay. When I was there, it was mostly students staying there, so it was very quiet.

Bathrooms could do with more regular cleaning, and would benefit from shower mats on the floor. Also, one of the showers only dispenses boiling water - this should probably be looked at.

• 1st Sep 2014

Love everything about this hostel! Abi and Charlie are so nice and welcoming, the rooms and bathrooms were exceptionally clean, security was excellent, great location, incredible breakfast, free WiFi, and nice a relaxed! In addition, they have special nights with free dessert or £1 dinners. Although I didn't take advantage of it, they also have lots of books, games, and television for a night in. Highly recommend!!!

I had a good stay at the hostel, free use of computer/wi-fi, nice rooms and a good breakfast

• 28th Aug 2014

Probably one of favourite hostels over the last three months of traveling. Amazing dinners for £1, breakfast was the best we have had all trip. Can't commend the sister and brother team any more, nothing was an issue and the information sheet on arrival pointed out places we did even knew existed. Showers were a bit hard with no bathmat etc and the request of trying to keep the floor dry. Thank you for an awesome stay!

The stuff are very nice! Food is tasty! Room is very clean! Perfect!!!