The Riverhouse Backpackers Reviews

59 Fitzhamon Embankment, Cardiff, Wales

1951 Total Reviews

A real home away from home. Loved it here.

This is an excellent hostel. The location is ideal, on the river opposite the Millennium Stadium. Being a converted house, it is slightly cramped, however this is more than offset by excellent quality facilities, especially the kitchen and bathrooms, The breakfast is excellent. The Manager and staff are first rate. It is an exceptionally well run hostel.

I surely wanted to stay with you there but sorry not to stay because my kid was under 18 years old, so I was very sorry that I should move another hostel for only one night. Also I must stay in a hotel for two more days. Anyway all staffs were so kind.

this is the best hostel I ever stayed. I love everything there. the staff are very friendly, and the food is very delicious. it is very quiet to stay. very good sleep. very good facing the river.

Honestly, this was my favorite place that I have ever been. I really loved it. Charlie made me feel really at home and like I could ask him anything, I was not afraid to ask for things I needed. He greeted me upon entering and said good bye when I was leaving, it was a very personal experience. The TV is also a luxury I really enjoyed because it was nice to sort of catch up on news on BBC or watch a TV show in the evening when I was coming home and tired. The breakfast was the greatest.

very helpfull and nice staff, my family and I had a lovely stay, felt like at home I recomend it and if I need to go back I'll go back there for sure !

I only stayed one night at The Riverhouse Backpackers but was almost disappointed I was only in Cardiff for one night as the hostel was so lovely. It felt so cosy - as if you were staying in someone's home. The owners were incredibly nice and helpful. Breakfast was probably the best I've ever had in a hostel - amazing selection! All of the facilities you need in a hostel were there. Only negative - no lift, which is never fun with a heavy suitcase.

a really nice place to stay in Cardiff, very good breakfast and friendly atmosphere

We very much enjoyed our stay with you. Everybody was very lovely, helpful and friendly, breakfast was fab and we could really see the effort and love that is put into running the hostel, we'll sure visit again! :-)

• 2nd Aug 2014

My friend and I spent two nights there and it was a really good week-end. The house is pretty, the facilities great, and the breakfast awesome. You're just a 5 minutes walk from the station and not even 10 minutes from the city center and Castle.

• 1st Aug 2014

The staff/owners were exceptionally welcoming and I really got the sense that they would go out of their way to be helpful. The location is perfect - the train, bus and coach stations are all within walking distance, as are the major tourist attractions and the city centre. The atmosphere was well-balanced and friendly. Possibly my only minor gripes would be that the rugs on the landings looked like they could just do with a go in the washing machine, and my locker door jammed quite easily.

The host abi n Charlie are super nice n helpful. That have various events in the evening in the kitchen which is cosy n intimate and it guarantees that u will get to know someone interesting. Serves very good breakfast. Strongly recommend. (From Hk)

i stay he for 3 nights thoughly enjoyed this place staff were more than helpful and freindly offer free apple pie i night and then also 1 pound for dish of curry chicken and nan bread the place was close to the castle in fact only 5 minute walk and also in to town i diffentley recommend this place.

We loved this hostel!!!! staff was great all the time, very clean, organized, quiet, good decorated, loved the kitchen and the atmosphere... Loved the Breakfast!! very varied... definitely will be back to this place next time... my husband never wants to stay in hostel, but after this one he would change his mind! Lovely place.

Hearing so much about this place, I did expect a little more but it was quite nice and cosy. Just someone's house, so a little small and poky and nothing special (or award winning) but did have a homely feel to it. Kitchen was tiny and had to maneuver around for breakfast with everyone else. I was up in the attic, had to heave my big bag up there and the wifi didn't work at all. Good lounge room to watch movies in and awesomely close to the city centre! That's what steals the show!

Such a nice hostel with very nice staff. Encourage everyone that visits Cardiff to stay here!

The one-pound dinner is brilliant, as we cannot get this anywhere else in the UK. Furthermore we had not thought of having free dessert on one of the three evenings.

Amazing work RiverHouse backpacker! You all deserve our respect! Please keep it up and show everyone the beautiful dnd vivid Cardiff city. I would like to thank you all for ur dedication and hard work!

• 25th Jul 2014
  • Hong Kong

An excellent hostel in the UK, which is rare enough in itself. Really close to the train station and all the major attractions.

Great hostel!!