The Schoolhouse Reviews

400 Route de L'Ecole, Chamonix, France

We loved staying here. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and make the house feel like home. It's got a great place to chill and visit with other travelers. It's the type of place people want to stay in long term to do outdoorsy stuff around Chamonix. It's a little ways away from the heart of Chamonix, so having a car is helpful. Otherwise, it's great!

Whist I am still a newcomer to travel, I had still spent 2 months at the time of my stay seeing Europe one hostel at a time. This was easily the best hostel I've stayed in. From the moment you walk in there is an atmosphere closer to a welcoming home than a hostel and you are immediately welcomed into the family. I would recommend this hostel to anybody and everybody. Thanks for having me Hilton and Leanne.

• 19th Oct 2014

I showed up in chamonix with two nights booked, immediately upon seeing the area and areiving at the beautiful schoolhouse i knew i was going to stay longer (ended up their for five nights!) The schoolhouse is very much a house more than a hostel with comfortable beds, great kitchens, and an awesome common area. This fostered a real community of cool people. Really affordable too! Hilton and Leanne have a great thing going here and i wholeheartedly would reccomend this to anyone and everyone.

• 4th Oct 2014

I've stayed in probably 70 hostels at this point and this is best hostel I've ever had the pleasure to stay in, hands down! Hilton is an amazing host, he makes you feel at home and is super helpful. the schoolhouse is beautiful and is really more like a bed and breakfast. I extended my stay because i loved it so much, and so did everyone else staying there too! if you have the slightest doubt about this hostel just click the book button, i promise you won't regret it!

Great combination of hostel and B

• 24th Sep 2014

Well I went through older comments and there are already some obvious things. My comments - the atmosphere of The Schoolhouse is really nice, charming building and guests are usually quite nice and friendly. I actually thing that one can not really call this a hostel, it´s rather the guesthouse. We liked our room and the kitchen, pretty cosy. There should be some sign outside, hostel is open 24/7 (security?) and yes, I saw the housekeeper for like 40 min in total.Clean the mildew in our room plz

Thank you so much for such a wonderful stay. We truly had a great two nights here and it was lovely coming back to such a warm and friendly place after a long day of activities. There was always someone very nice and interesting to chat to and thank you so much for the lovely hiking advice and dinners. Leanne, you are truly awesome!! :)

• 15th Aug 2014

Hostel staff is not helpful at all. It looks like the staff only appears in the morning and evening. During my 3 nights stay, I only saw the staff once about 20 min. Lack of appearance also means less hostipility and cleanness in the house. Bathroom, restroom, bed room, kitchen are usually not clean. The front door is broken and no body fixed it.

Great place !! Location is out of Chamonix but got perfect bus and train connection for only € 1.80 (train) / € 1.50 (bus). Owner Leanne is a real darling ! Place is greatest you can get. Like a real mountain house were you share the bedroom with travellers all over te world. And share expierences in the mountain or go together on great adventures. Chamonix is quit expensive and this place is like a heaven. Full equiped kitchen where you can make your own meal. And great wifi all over the place.

Loved this place. Such good vibes! Leanne was wonderful, and helped us pick some stellar hikes. Great cozy and communal feel to the place. Can't wait to come back sometime.

Great place, the school house had a great vibe to it. It is a bit of a distance from everything but it was still a great place to base myself to explore the chamonix area.

• 22nd Jul 2014

Staff are very welcoming, helpful and can give hiking advice which helps customers make the most of their stay. It's a hostel that I really enjoyed and would stay in again!

Why is there no sign at the front? Seemed sketchy. I haven't stayed in too many hostels, but it was off-putting to have NO ONE who works there around. Allegedly they were going to be available in the a.ms, but I never saw them (only there for 2) and ended up leaving my payment on my pillow. There was not enough food for all the people staying for breakfast. However the kitchen was pretty swell and well stocked with cooking tools. The other folks staying for 1+weeks seemed happy.

• 18th Jul 2014

Great place to stay with nice atmoshere!

• 18th Jul 2014
  • Finland

Simply one of the best guesthouses I have ever stayed in. You'd expect a no-frills operation at this price point, especially in a place such as Chamonix but everything was beyond my expectations. There is a fully equipped kitchen, large dining table, a generous breakfast, washing machine, a large area to dry your clothes, and ample parking space if you drive. The communal area has a very warm and friendly atmosphere great for having conversations. They'll even lend you gear if you need FOC!

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Indonesia

This is my best hostel experience ever. Leanne was super helpful and The Schoolhouse felt more like home than hostel. I didn't want to leave! Didn't get much sleep cos was having so much fun every evening. Thanks so much Leanne. You're tops.

This hostel was one of the best ones I stayed at. I gave it low rankings for security because there really is no security and it really isn't needed. The area is very safe and the other visitors had no interest in stealing each others stuff. People would leave valuables around; and not only would they be left alone,people would literally hand them to you. Breakfast is available every morning and is great. The staff was very accommodating.