The Schoolhouse Reviews

400 Route de L'Ecole, Chamonix, France

Awesome place to stay. Hilton and Leanne's hospitality was great. Thoroughly enjoyed coming back to the hostel to relax after days on the slopes. Would definitely stay again and recommend the place to others.

• 16th Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

Great hostel, a bit away from the main city, but a nice quiet location to play homebase for some time in Chamonix. Having a car would help immensely. Hilton and Leanne are wonderful and quite helpful. Free breakfast in the mornings is a great way to meet others in the hostel and potentially share adventure plans. Definitely worth it to check out the mountain for a few nights!

Overall a really good trip- I would put emphasis on having a car as our experience of the public transport (and the lodges distance from said public transport) A couple of thoughts/improvements - Honesty bar - Hot water was inconsistent - In general more places to hang gear etc in rooms All in all a really good trip, and we will be back.

• 27th Dec 2014

This is a lovely place to stay. It's like a home for travelers. The hosts could not be more nice and welcoming, and the house itself is well furnished and decorated. The hangout area upstairs was awesome with a TV and solid dvd collection, and we were also always welcome to hangout downstairs in the main living room. B.N. we never figured out which bus actually stopped in front of the house… its not the main bus service. otherwise you have to walk from the Taconnaz stop that's abt 15 min.

We loved staying here. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and make the house feel like home. It's got a great place to chill and visit with other travelers. It's the type of place people want to stay in long term to do outdoorsy stuff around Chamonix. It's a little ways away from the heart of Chamonix, so having a car is helpful. Otherwise, it's great!

Whist I am still a newcomer to travel, I had still spent 2 months at the time of my stay seeing Europe one hostel at a time. This was easily the best hostel I've stayed in. From the moment you walk in there is an atmosphere closer to a welcoming home than a hostel and you are immediately welcomed into the family. I would recommend this hostel to anybody and everybody. Thanks for having me Hilton and Leanne.

• 19th Oct 2014

I showed up in chamonix with two nights booked, immediately upon seeing the area and areiving at the beautiful schoolhouse i knew i was going to stay longer (ended up their for five nights!) The schoolhouse is very much a house more than a hostel with comfortable beds, great kitchens, and an awesome common area. This fostered a real community of cool people. Really affordable too! Hilton and Leanne have a great thing going here and i wholeheartedly would reccomend this to anyone and everyone.

• 4th Oct 2014

I've stayed in probably 70 hostels at this point and this is best hostel I've ever had the pleasure to stay in, hands down! Hilton is an amazing host, he makes you feel at home and is super helpful. the schoolhouse is beautiful and is really more like a bed and breakfast. I extended my stay because i loved it so much, and so did everyone else staying there too! if you have the slightest doubt about this hostel just click the book button, i promise you won't regret it!

Great combination of hostel and B

• 24th Sep 2014