The Secret Garden Cotopaxi Reviews

Via El Pedregal, Cotopaxi National Park, Ecuador

Beautiful location, all meals were included, loved the dogs there. Could have been a bit more description about what the waterfall hike involved eg. climbing across slippery rocks. Also would have loved to have electricity in the dorms. Nonetheless had a great time!!

I enjoyed staying here and the scenery is beautiful. There may be too much pressure to sign up for hikes and I feel that the staff doesn't properly describe the difficulty of each - it did feel a little bit like they were just trying to bring in additional money. But overall, the food was good and the showers were nice and hot. And the scenery is absolutely beautiful. I would recommend this for a day or two.

Excellent location and friendly staff. I was a bit disappointed that there was no need to practice my Spanish (as nearly everyone spoke English). Food was good, almost too much provided at some meals, especially for high altitude. Would like to see coca tea as a drink option. Appreciate that gear (including rubber boots) is provided for hikes, etc.

• 19th May 2014

I really loved my time at the Secret Garden Cotopaxi. So great, I stayed longer than planned!

Loved it! Can´t wait to go back.

One of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. Awesome location, people, and treks! There is a jacuzzi...and 3 cute dogs.

A really beautiful location, absolutely out in the middle of nowhere with views of the Volcanoes (on a clear day) and Llamas outside. Staff were really helpful and the communal dinners create a good atmosphere. We had our own cabin with an upstairs bedroom which was also beautiful.

Beautiful place in a great location, great views of Cotopaxi and other mountains when the clouds clear. Dorm was very clean, beds comfortable, wood stove kept it nice and warm. Main lodge was a great place to relax and warm up after hiking, also a good place to meet other travellers (especially since there is no internet). Staff were very helpful, organized hiking trips and knowledgeable about what to do in the area. Food was good (lots of it), overall a great place to stay!

Sophie, in particular, was very friendly & helpful (and deserves a raise :-). The food was good and plentiful, and the staff always seemed to be working, yet laughing, too, which enhanced the atmosphere. Lockers would be nice, although we never felt insecure, as would hooks and mirrors in the dorm. The ladders to the upper bunks should be secured, though, as it almost fell away as I was climbing down it.

While there were things I loved about here such as location and tranquility, the volunteers I did not. The local staff were great and our guide when we did the Cotopaxi glacier hike was awesome (Carlos), however the volunteers were such a let down. One complained a lot and the guy who took us on the Pachachoa hike didn't so much guide us but walk 1k ahead of everyone and give sarcastic responses when asked questions. Food was also a let down on occasion (especially lunches). Beds were comfy.

We stayed in the tents they are very comfy and warm . Views are stunning food is excellent . Horse ridding your was amazing . Be carful while using the mountains bikes as my wife got bitten by a dog while cycling through the village hostal said it was the first time which was true but once a dog bits once ! The volunteer (Alicia ) at the hostel was not that helpfull, she liked to sleep a lot and did not have much interest in her surroundings but I can imagine she won't last .

Thanks guys, it's great to hear such positive comments about our hostel. We've recently had a change of management that has affected both of our hostels. I'm sorry that this has affected your experience. Alicia is actually doing a great job, you must have just caught her on a bad day, we all have those occasionally. Enjoy the rest of your travels, Tarquin owner.

View all Cotopaxi National Park Hostels