The Secret Garden Quito Reviews

Calle Antepara E4-60 y Los Rios, Sector San Blas, Quito, Ecuador

Join the top roof terrace, enjoy the magnificent view and meet people from all over the world!

Love the terrace but other communal areas are a bit basic. Room was comfortable but a bit noisy. Breakfasts good, think they should be included in price like at other hostels.

• 12th Jul 2014

Great roof deck with super friendly/helpful staff and fun atmosphere. Perfect place to plan excursions to other parts of Ecuador and to explore Old Town Quito.

Loved it! Good location between Old Town and Mariscal and in walking distance to both. Although it´s not close to nightlife there is a laundrette and internet cafe and some inexpensive restaurants on the road and bars and clubs are only a short taxi ride away. Breakfast is good (at the extra cost of $2.50) and if you opt in for dinner before 10am you get a free drink! The staff are extremely helpful and speak good English. Best thing about this place though is the sociable rooftop terrace!

• 6th Jul 2014

Fantastic atmosphere and great place to meet people. Clean, secure and friendly. Roof top terrace is good but closes really early. On one night I was ordered to go to bed by the security guard at 11.30pm, an order that I obviously didn't follow as he wasn't my father and I wasn't a child! As is often the case with hostels the volunteers that work there are awesome and some of the paid staff are moody and uninterested. All up though a great hostel and a good place to hang out for a few days.

• 4th Jul 2014

This was the most expensive hostel we stayed at during our trip in Ecuador, but I think that's just because it's Quito. Breakfast was delicious and cheap.

I can hardly describe how awesome Secret Garden is. The owners let us lock our stuff up here during our jungle excursion, we went out on the town with the staff, and many memories were made on the rooftop.

• 26th Jun 2014

Absolutely amazing! The facilities are incredible and it has a really safe and friendly atmosphere to it. Great place to meet people from all over the world and also it provides many different excursion opportunities around Quito. Really can't rate it highly enough.

• 18th Jun 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the secret garden. The food was excellent and the views from the rooftop were worth staying here alone. The bathrooms and beds were clean but it was rather noisy at night. I think this also depends on who is staying at the hostel. The staff was really friendly and great about calling cabs. My friends and I had a great time here!

• 13th Jun 2014

the staff were not very friendly. Unlike other hostels I have stayed at, there was no warm comforting environment. When i arrived my luggage was lost and I was freezing and they had me wait hours for a room with no condolesence. When i ordered the veggie dinner they told Me they ran out and gave me the meat option and also ran out of salad. the free coffee

• 1st Jun 2014

We only stayed here one night, got in late and left quite early. When we got there, I think the night guard was sleeping, because it took some time before he opened the door. Not what you want when you are in a new town in the middle of the night, tired after a flight. When he filly opened, he seemed unhappy and not very friendly. The room, however, was nice! Clean and cosy. We stayed in a private room. The atmosphere in the hostel is good, I could easily stayed here for a day or two more.

The rooftop terrace overlooking the city is incredible!

• 30th May 2014

Nice hostel, beautiful view of the city. Didn't spent much time there so didn't experience much from the hostel, but the staff was friendly and it was easy to meet people.

Hostel Wasn't that good ..... But pretty social place .....

Great atmosphere easy to meet people on the rooftop. Only compliant is the wifi didn't work in the room.

Bad points...The internet didnt work properly most of the time which was a big incovenience for us travelers. The water pressure and the temperature was weak. The staff was ok, the security guy was helpless. Good points..gabi the tour guide was amazing, sweet

We work hard to create great facilities for our guests and recently upgraded our wifi systems to cope with the increased demand. We can only apologise for the inconvenience this caused. Despite a few complications, we were always able to offer guests good wifi 24/7 in at least some parts of the building, and we now have a better system in all parts of the hostel.

The hostel was OK. Rooms quite basic, shared bathrooms small. There was hot water eventually if you ran both the shower and tap in the sink at the same time. Our double room was on the ground floor next to the front door which would get quite noisy at time, especially late at night with people ringing the door bell to get in. No wifi in the bedroom which was a bit of a bind as it meant heaving to climb 4 flights of stairs to the reception area - which was hard work!! Great view from reception.

• 15th May 2014

Overall I liked this hostel. When I decided at the last minute to take a trip into the Amazon they were very understanding (even though I left one night earlier). However, there are no kitchen facilities. You have to buy breakfast/ dinner there (which are quite average), or eat out. At the same time though there is free tea/ coffee/ filtered water all day long. The staff are helpful and the on-site travel agency is really good. The location is also ok, about a 10 minute walk from the old town.

There are at least a dozen places to eat within 100 metres of the hostel, but we still find that more than half our guests have more than half their meals at our terrace restaurant. Guests tell us that they enjoy eating on our terrace not just for the good food at fair prices, but also the fun, friendly atmosphere and the spectacular views over the Old Town. We're sorry that you did not enjoy some of your meals, but glad to hear that enjoyed everything else about The Secret Garden.

I loved this hostel - really friendly atmosphere - the roof terrace serves dinner and drinks every night, which is a great space for people to socialise. I went out to the Secret Garden Cotopaxi sister hostel, which is amazing. The tour company downstairs is also very good.

Private rooms are within dorm rooms which isn't ideal when you are paying for privacy with a private room. Terrace was a great area but they turned off wifi in the evenings making it difficult to access the internet in a comfortable environment. Wouldn't stay here again.

• 12th May 2014

All of our private rooms are private with locked doors etc and only one of our many rooms, a twin room, requires guests to pass through a dorm to access their room. This room is actually very popular due to the nice views it has. After 6pm, ther is no wifi on the terrace and guests spend the evening chatting, making new friends, socialising. Most guests really enjoy this time and we have received many positive reviews of this policy. There is still wifi 24/7 throughout the rest of the hostel.

« first « Prev 1 2 3