The Secret Garden Quito Reviews

Calle Antepara E4-60 y Los Rios, Sector San Blas, Quito, Ecuador

Reception should probably be on the ground floor!

Nice place to stay with a beautiful view. Breakfast and dinner delicious. A bit noisy sometimes because there is a 24h check in (people arrive in your dorm in the middle of the night).

Everything about Secret Garden Quito was fabulous! We had a great stay there and really enjoyed the hostel. I would absolutely recommend staying there to anyone!

• 27th Aug 2014

Comfortable beds. Good Cheap breakfast and dinner options. Wi-fi only in common areas. Travel desk which were helpful. I took the transfer from the airport and was collected by really nice lady who was waiting for me in arrivals.

Depending on the room you get and what you're looking for, this place can be good or awful. First time I stayed, I had a quiet room and found the hostel to be quite social and accommodating. Second time, I got a room right by the entrance with no windows and got woken up every hour of the night. After several days of hiking I was just wanting to chill this time, and they don't really cater to that in the evenings: loud music, crowded, busy. Not sure how this was rated the best hostel in Ecuador.

No security, the staff do very little to help the guests, the location is ok but you can find better, we shared a bathroom with 11 other people and it was never cleaned for our whole 3 nights stay (same toothpaste marks on the basin) cold showers for all 6 showers I had!

Unsure about "no security" - The Secret Garden has 24 hour reception with night guards, security cameras, and lockers in every room and for every dorm bed, plus free safe storage and free locked baggage storage. We have a bathroom to guest ratio of 1:6 and the bathrooms are claened 3 times per day. Sorry to hear there were some things you didn't like but we note that you returned to the hostel and stayed on a number of different nights so it can't have been too bad. Thanks for your comments.

The place itself and staff are amazing. The downside are probably the price of the extras like breakfast, dinner and drinks. There is no possibility to bring your own food and drink or use the kitchen, which is not great for budget travellers. Also room prices are quite high compared to other hostels of the area of which I can not judge the facilities, though. I still had a great time here and if my budget allows, would definitely come back some day!

It's so loud ... The wooden planks and people entering there at night with the help of the security guard are a big minus to the hostel which offers a solid performance beyond that. Prices and staff assistance are reasonable.

Located up on the hill in the south side of Quito, this hostel gives you great views of the city from the rooftop terrace bar. It's a trek to get up their 5 floors to use the wifi every time you want to connect, but the atmosphere on the top is really great. They also offer a daily breakfast and dinner which you can sign up for, and there is a travel agency on the first floor that organizes a number of the day trips for the hostel. It's truly special.

In a big, confusing, awesome building in a great location this place has a roof terrace with a million dollar view. Staff are helpful and friendly and serve up the best hostel breakfast I've seen in ages. They also help with tours and there's usually something fun happening every night.

A lot of miscommunication and troubles. I had many email confirmations that a car would be at the airport to pick us up and there wasn't. A guy with the hostel was there for another group so he called for backup, which was a broken down taxi. Then they didn't have the rooms I had booked available. The following day they moved part of our group and charged us the price of the cheaper room. I still wasn't happy about any of it. I stayed here before and haven't had problems so this was a first.

• 31st Jul 2014

The hostel should tell people to bring locks because they don't supply them.

• 31st Jul 2014

I booked a room for 5 people. We were intitally split up but once I complained about the situation, the staff were helpful to get all 5 of us into one room. The free tea, coffee, and water was a giant plus. The only downside to this hostel is the noise leve. Pack earplugs!

Glad to hear that our staff were friendly and able to accommodate you all in the same dorm. This was actually an online reservation for 5 dorm beds, not a room for 5 people. Our hostel sleeps around 100 guests, and we are extremely busy, but that is no excuse for our staff not being careful enough to place you all in the same dorm in the first place. We can only apologise for that. Our terrace restaurant/bar and common areas close at 11pm and this generally keeps nightime noise to a minimum.

Since reception is at the upper for there are no one to see who comes and goes. But there were lockers in the room. The shower barely had any water coming out if you wanted hot water.

No need to worry - the travel agancy is right next to the front door, and the laundry is also on the ground floor, so those staff all watch who is coming and going during the day. We also have security cameras and a night guard from 6pm to 7am, and as you said there are lockers and lock boxes in all dorms and private rooms. The Secret Garden has expanded recently. We are currently upgrading the hot water system to cope with this higher demand - apologies for any inconvenience during your stay.

Amazing terrace, in the best part of Quito. Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Definitely a good place to make new friends :)

Join the top roof terrace, enjoy the magnificent view and meet people from all over the world!

Love this hostel, great atmosphere, the terrace is beautiful to hang out on

I found this to be a really good hostel. The rooftop terrace provides magnificent views of the city and allows you to meet fellow travellers over a few drinks. I'd recently lost my passport and the staff allowed me to contact the relevant authorities using their telephone for no extra charge. The breakfast and dinners provided were cheap and very good. Definitely consider this hostel when you're in Quito.

very friendly efficient and helpful staff, room, though colourful, had no window, which is a severe drawback. Very good breakfast.

• 15th Jul 2014

Love the terrace but other communal areas are a bit basic. Room was comfortable but a bit noisy. Breakfasts good, think they should be included in price like at other hostels.

• 12th Jul 2014