The Secret Garden Quito Reviews

Calle Antepara E4-60 y Los Rios, Sector San Blas, Quito, Ecuador

Terrace at the top is fantastic - amazing view. My dorm was smelly and the shower was ice cold so had to use another one adjacent to another dorm which was a pain. Speaking with a guy I met there said he'd asked to be moved from that dorm for the same reason . Old town in Quito can be a bit of challenge to get to if you are travelling by bus and haven't been there before. Make sure you work out your route and I wouldn't rely advice from the hostel as the advice I received was incorrect.

This place gets high points for its great view in the common area. Easy to meet other backpackers and I enjoyed fresh breakfast there each morning. I ranked this place average on cleanliness. FYI - double bed room with shared bath means a single bed that sleeps two and shares bath with another room. At least that's what I got. That part was confusing from the website. Would I recommend this place? Yes. Bring ear plugs though.

• 5th Apr 2014

Alright hostel. Expensive for what you get, but has comfy beds and a wonderful view of Quito.

Great stay at the Secret Garden! Good food, good company, and we absolutely loved the upstairs terrace. What a view!

Very friendly helpful place. They cared. The food was great I hasn't stayed in hostel for long time and did not feel out of place travelling with my 23 year old son. We had lovely suite of rooms 2 bed sitting room and bathroom for 68 dollars a night. Great introduction to hosteling in 21 century

Have stayed at SG several times and am constantly impressed with the staff-hostel is very well run!

Rooftop restaurant/lounge has great views of Old Quito, good place to hang out and meet fellow travellers. Trips from Quito offered by both the hostel and the excellent travel agency on the ground floor. Good location but busy area so traffic noise to be expected.

The staff is helpfull and the cleaning team looks really efficient, but one of the two guys (ecadorian style) I have seen at the desk on the terrasse seemed bored.... I felt he gave me what i needed no more, not even a smile. I also stayed at the Cotopaxi secret garden... Only good things to say, very nice... Staff, scenery, food, dormatory, people....very nice..... Thanks

• 4th Mar 2014

Nice hostal with friendly staff. A few more toilets and showers wouldn't be bad. Otherwise an excelent choice. A good travel agency in the hostal. A terrace with a nice view, bonfire and music

• 28th Feb 2014

Loved the owners who were super nice, as were all of the other guests. Stunning balcony view. Definitely recommend!

• 25th Feb 2014

Although I only booked for 2 nights, I stayed for 9. I was particularly impressed by how thoroughly the housekeeping staff maintained our room. Except for the climb up to the terrace, where reception is located, and the squeaky wooden floor in our room, there were no surprises. Some would say that those items are part of the charm. The Secret Garden has its act together, both in action as well as attitude. I will likely stay there again on my next trip to Quito.

Cosy hostel with a great chilled out atmosphere. Amazing views of the city on the roof top terrace

They need to get a coffee pot and tea pot that actually makes the coffee and hot water hot. They were always look warm. The best thing about this place is the terrace and if your traveling alone then it's a wonderful way to meet other cool travelers. The other wonderful thing about this place is the travel agency downstairs. Carpe Diem is great. I loved Gabby and Dorian.

Beautiful rooftop restaurant/bar with affordable meals and amazing to watch the sunrise/sunset over Quito. They also provide free tea/coffee on the rooftop all day!!! Free WiFi in the entire hostel. Amazing travel agency on the ground floor and the staff there are extremely helpful in planning activities especially Gabby. The only negative is that the hostel is slightly on the pricy side, especially because their private rooms have shared bathrooms. Otherwise great stay!

The women in the Carpe Diem tour office (ground floor) were extremely helpful and forthcoming with information; however, staff in the hostel itself weren´t particularly helpful or knowledgeable (with the exception of Remi). It was interesting that they became much more attentive, however, once the owner (their boss) returned from his vacation.

They were having change of management when we were there and no one really made us feel welcome . Showers were poor and dangerous . If you want to go and have a drink out and about try a hostal closer to the mariscal district if you want to be close to old town give it a go as they were sorting out there management problems

I loved this hostel! Lovely atmosphere and a great place to meet people. You can sign up for breakfast and dinner in the hostel if you don't feel like going out. The staff on reception and the travel desk are very helpful.

Decent location and very comfortable beds. The staff, however, was a bit rude and this one guy had no idea what was going on ever. A little pricey for no breakfast. Too many stairs and a really strange layout. I am sure there is much better in Quito.

beautiful view and best staff ever!

View from upstairs is awesome! Pretty cool hostel, with so many interesting aspects to it. Great tours and information, other people from other hostels were coming to ours because of the customer service etc. in terms of tours and information. A comfortable room and nice atmosphere. Would definitely recommend!