The Secret Garden Quito Reviews

Calle Antepara E4-60 y Los Rios, Sector San Blas, Quito, Ecuador

The place itself and staff are amazing. The downside are probably the price of the extras like breakfast, dinner and drinks. There is no possibility to bring your own food and drink or use the kitchen, which is not great for budget travellers. Also room prices are quite high compared to other hostels of the area of which I can not judge the facilities, though. I still had a great time here and if my budget allows, would definitely come back some day!

In a big, confusing, awesome building in a great location this place has a roof terrace with a million dollar view. Staff are helpful and friendly and serve up the best hostel breakfast I've seen in ages. They also help with tours and there's usually something fun happening every night.

A lot of miscommunication and troubles. I had many email confirmations that a car would be at the airport to pick us up and there wasn't. A guy with the hostel was there for another group so he called for backup, which was a broken down taxi. Then they didn't have the rooms I had booked available. The following day they moved part of our group and charged us the price of the cheaper room. I still wasn't happy about any of it. I stayed here before and haven't had problems so this was a first.

• 31st Jul 2014

The hostel should tell people to bring locks because they don't supply them.

• 31st Jul 2014

I booked a room for 5 people. We were intitally split up but once I complained about the situation, the staff were helpful to get all 5 of us into one room. The free tea, coffee, and water was a giant plus. The only downside to this hostel is the noise leve. Pack earplugs!

Glad to hear that our staff were friendly and able to accommodate you all in the same dorm. This was actually an online reservation for 5 dorm beds, not a room for 5 people. Our hostel sleeps around 100 guests, and we are extremely busy, but that is no excuse for our staff not being careful enough to place you all in the same dorm in the first place. We can only apologise for that. Our terrace restaurant/bar and common areas close at 11pm and this generally keeps nightime noise to a minimum.

Since reception is at the upper for there are no one to see who comes and goes. But there were lockers in the room. The shower barely had any water coming out if you wanted hot water.

No need to worry - the travel agancy is right next to the front door, and the laundry is also on the ground floor, so those staff all watch who is coming and going during the day. We also have security cameras and a night guard from 6pm to 7am, and as you said there are lockers and lock boxes in all dorms and private rooms. The Secret Garden has expanded recently. We are currently upgrading the hot water system to cope with this higher demand - apologies for any inconvenience during your stay.

Join the top roof terrace, enjoy the magnificent view and meet people from all over the world!

Love this hostel, great atmosphere, the terrace is beautiful to hang out on

I found this to be a really good hostel. The rooftop terrace provides magnificent views of the city and allows you to meet fellow travellers over a few drinks. I'd recently lost my passport and the staff allowed me to contact the relevant authorities using their telephone for no extra charge. The breakfast and dinners provided were cheap and very good. Definitely consider this hostel when you're in Quito.

very friendly efficient and helpful staff, room, though colourful, had no window, which is a severe drawback. Very good breakfast.

• 15th Jul 2014

Love the terrace but other communal areas are a bit basic. Room was comfortable but a bit noisy. Breakfasts good, think they should be included in price like at other hostels.

• 12th Jul 2014

Great roof deck with super friendly/helpful staff and fun atmosphere. Perfect place to plan excursions to other parts of Ecuador and to explore Old Town Quito.

Loved it! Good location between Old Town and Mariscal and in walking distance to both. Although it´s not close to nightlife there is a laundrette and internet cafe and some inexpensive restaurants on the road and bars and clubs are only a short taxi ride away. Breakfast is good (at the extra cost of $2.50) and if you opt in for dinner before 10am you get a free drink! The staff are extremely helpful and speak good English. Best thing about this place though is the sociable rooftop terrace!

• 6th Jul 2014

Fantastic atmosphere and great place to meet people. Clean, secure and friendly. Roof top terrace is good but closes really early. On one night I was ordered to go to bed by the security guard at 11.30pm, an order that I obviously didn't follow as he wasn't my father and I wasn't a child! As is often the case with hostels the volunteers that work there are awesome and some of the paid staff are moody and uninterested. All up though a great hostel and a good place to hang out for a few days.

• 4th Jul 2014

This was the most expensive hostel we stayed at during our trip in Ecuador, but I think that's just because it's Quito. Breakfast was delicious and cheap.

I can hardly describe how awesome Secret Garden is. The owners let us lock our stuff up here during our jungle excursion, we went out on the town with the staff, and many memories were made on the rooftop.

• 26th Jun 2014

Great hostel! Very easy to meet people

Absolutely amazing! The facilities are incredible and it has a really safe and friendly atmosphere to it. Great place to meet people from all over the world and also it provides many different excursion opportunities around Quito. Really can't rate it highly enough.

• 18th Jun 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the secret garden. The food was excellent and the views from the rooftop were worth staying here alone. The bathrooms and beds were clean but it was rather noisy at night. I think this also depends on who is staying at the hostel. The staff was really friendly and great about calling cabs. My friends and I had a great time here!

• 13th Jun 2014

the staff were not very friendly. Unlike other hostels I have stayed at, there was no warm comforting environment. When i arrived my luggage was lost and I was freezing and they had me wait hours for a room with no condolesence. When i ordered the veggie dinner they told Me they ran out and gave me the meat option and also ran out of salad. the free coffee

• 1st Jun 2014