The Secret Garden Quito Reviews

Calle Antepara E4-60 y Los Rios, Sector San Blas, Quito, Ecuador

Nice hostel with a great view onto the old town of Quito and the surrounding mountains from its roof terrace. Dorms are nice and spacey and beds are quite comfortable. Smart lockers with power points inside. Staff was unfortunately rather unfriendly and showers were cold most of the time even though stated otherwise. All in all a great place to stay in Quito.

Excellent bar and evening food

An excellent place to stay in Quito. We stayed a week and were able to pick up Spanish lessons. It's a short walk to the sights of Old Town and a slightly longer available walk to New Town. The breakfast is great and they do a reasonably priced dinner option (with a free drink if booked before 10am!). The airport pick up was very smooth even though our flight was late. A place with a social balcony too, great to meet other travellers. The travel agents CarpeDM is also fab.

• 18th Jul 2015

This place is a real gem - awesome communal areas, the fifth floor terrace is brilliant for meeting people over food and drinks with amazing views of the city. Highly recommend

• 18th Jul 2015

Great hostel and very friendly staff. The shower should be hotter.

Mu room was the "new dorm" on the first floor and it didn't has keys. At day, the door of the hostel stay open. Because of that, some guys on my room were robed. Their money INSIDE THE LOCKER was taken. The thief just take cash, so TAKE CARE YOUR CASH THERE! The hostel asministration took a day to do something about it (just call the police) Another thing is that you can't cook there and the food and drinks on the hostel are expensive! Defenitely, PREPARE YOUR POCKET to stay there!!!!

Tue aosphere really depends on who is coming to stay here but I felt really comfortable sitting and talking with others.

• 8th Jul 2015

The Secret Garden Quito is a lovely gem for the weary traveler. I am saddened that I did not get to experience your other location in Cotopaxi, however your hospitality in Quito makes me want to ensure that my next visit to Ecuador includes a stopover there. Thank you for allowing me to have one last night of rest prior to my return home.

• 7th Jul 2015

The reception is 5 floors up, at the bar - awful system. Having to climb 5 floors to check in, then go back down to get bags and then back to, it's ridiculous! Staff were very average. Nothing special at all. Location is in old Quito, there's a good walking tour. But if you want restaurants and bars this is not the place to stay as you have to take cabs everywhere. Breakfast not included which makes the $12 seem like quite a lot... The bathrooms seem to always stink as well...

Loved this hostel and the gorgeous views from the rooftop. Great company and so much fun hanging and going out with other travelers staying at Secret Garden. Walking distance to many sites. Very good restaurant and bar on rooftop as well. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Comfortable bed and hot shower. Highly recommend this hostel for those visiting Quito!

We enjoyed the company and friendliness of the voluntary staff! They made our stay memorable. Joe, Katie, Rueben and Anushka were great. The travel agency were helpful and friendly, and we had a great stay.

• 1st Jul 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Great place to meet people, and the rooftop bar/restaurant has a great view of the city. Having a travel agency on the ground floor is also very convenient!

This hostal lives off of the CarpeDM's reputation. The rooms are small and very uncomfortable with a prison-like feel. It is very noisy and the bathrooms can get very dirty. On the plus side, there is hot water and they keep your luggages for free We definitely don't recommend it.

• 29th Jun 2015

I had a great experience with the Secret Garden Quito however there are some improvements that could be made to make guests feel more secure and taken care of. It would be much safer if there were a locking front door which required guests to buzz in. As it is now anyone can walk in and out during the day and access rooms. When the hostel is full bathrooms should be cleaned multiple times a day. All bathrooms and showers should have locks and doors for safety purposes.

• 28th Jun 2015

A solid hostel with great staff, food, atmosphere, location, beds and pretty much everything went well here . They're very well organized too. Keep up the good work guys!

Great staff, great breakfast, and great location. The only problems are that almost anyone can walk in and out, no problem, and it is definitely more on the side of a party hostel. If you are trying to get sleep, this might not be the most relaxing hostel.

Had a great time at secret garden and met some really cool people. The terrace is great! The staff however wasn't so great. Upon arriving it took me forever to even find the reception and once I did the guy showed me to my room and left without explaining where the bathrooms where, how anything worked, what time checkout was. I had to ask the others in my room and they said they dealt with the same thing when they got there. Besides that I really enjoyed the hostel.

A great place to base yourself in Quito. Great location. Fabulous roof terrace bar with views over the city. There's good value dinner prepared each evening so you don't have to venture out alone. Very friendly and sociable. Thanks so much. I'll be back tomorrow the night before I fly home. I know it'll be a great end to my trip :)

• 26th Jun 2015
  • All Female Group, 41+

Great set up - amazing staff, excellent security on bag and valuables storage and great happy hour and food offers! We've used this as our base for most of Ecuador. Love coming back here to this rooftop. 6 dorm room is very spacious.

the food was great. fab view from the balcony.