The Secret Garden Quito Reviews

Calle Antepara E4-60 y Los Rios, Sector San Blas, Quito, Ecuador

Overall I liked this hostel. When I decided at the last minute to take a trip into the Amazon they were very understanding (even though I left one night earlier). However, there are no kitchen facilities. You have to buy breakfast/ dinner there (which are quite average), or eat out. At the same time though there is free tea/ coffee/ filtered water all day long. The staff are helpful and the on-site travel agency is really good. The location is also ok, about a 10 minute walk from the old town.

There are at least a dozen places to eat within 100 metres of the hostel, but we still find that more than half our guests have more than half their meals at our terrace restaurant. Guests tell us that they enjoy eating on our terrace not just for the good food at fair prices, but also the fun, friendly atmosphere and the spectacular views over the Old Town. We're sorry that you did not enjoy some of your meals, but glad to hear that enjoyed everything else about The Secret Garden.

I loved this hostel - really friendly atmosphere - the roof terrace serves dinner and drinks every night, which is a great space for people to socialise. I went out to the Secret Garden Cotopaxi sister hostel, which is amazing. The tour company downstairs is also very good.

Private rooms are within dorm rooms which isn't ideal when you are paying for privacy with a private room. Terrace was a great area but they turned off wifi in the evenings making it difficult to access the internet in a comfortable environment. Wouldn't stay here again.

• 12th May 2014

All of our private rooms are private with locked doors etc and only one of our many rooms, a twin room, requires guests to pass through a dorm to access their room. This room is actually very popular due to the nice views it has. After 6pm, ther is no wifi on the terrace and guests spend the evening chatting, making new friends, socialising. Most guests really enjoy this time and we have received many positive reviews of this policy. There is still wifi 24/7 throughout the rest of the hostel.

It's obvious the hostel staff really take care to maintain their standards and ensure people have a good experience. The views are stunning on the rooftop common area and it's in a nice area of town.

Great location for the old town - stunning views over the city from the roof top terrace. I got a double room for the same cost as a dorm bed due to them overbooking the dorm, which was great for me! Only 20 minute walk from Mariscal in the day (take a taxi at night)

glad you enjoyed your stay, and yes we do sometimes give free upgrades if all 44 dorm beds are full, and this seems to be happening quite a lot!! Happy Travels.

They should get better lockers

• 4th May 2014

The Secret Garden has safe boxes in private rooms, lockers in the dorms, free safe storage and baggage storage, a licenced night guard and security cameras. We think it is a bit unfair to rate our security as "very poor". We have only had one theft from lockers in 12 years, but that was one too much for us, so we have now further reinforced the dorm lockers. We work hard to create not just the friendliest but also the safest most secure hostel in Quito.

Poor security and lockers, had my locker broken into easily by two Colombians who just walked out of the hostel without checking out. Passport iPad everything gone and other people's stuff. Staff were very helpful. But better security needs to provided I would not recommend anyone stay here as the security is so poor.

Enjoyed our stay here and the dinners are really yum and good value for money! It's a bit weird having reception on the top floor but there is a security guard at night so you feel safe. Close to main old town attractions and having a tour agency onsite is great- would definitely recommend the free walking tour!

Thanks for the positive feedback, our chefs work hard to create great food and its always nice to enjoy a meal with beautiful views over the city, getting to know your fellow travelers. Yes, there are few stairs to reach our terrace reception, but we think its worth it for the views once you get there!

Nice Hostel, in the old part of the city which is good to walk around the sights during the day! Nice rooftop terrace, bad WiFi which is alright (talk to each other!) if yo don't have to book things online... Busstations either north or south are quite far away..it's just because it's a big city!

It would be good if there was a computer available for use in the hostel. The volunteers were very friendly, staff were nice enough but not very helpful at resolving problems.

The secret garden is a well run hostel centrally situated for sight seing in Quito. My partner and I have stayed here twice now on our travels and would defiantly recommend it.

the staff was very friendly, especially robert who was the fire tenderer. he was truly ' genuine!! we had the privelege of talking with the owner who made arrangements for us to visit his other hostel location in cotopaxi by giving us a room that had a broken fireplace, as it was full otherwise. my husband who is in EXPERT handyman, was able to find materials on the property and the tools and fixed the firebox so we stayed warm! crystal who is the biz manager was accomodating to our needs a

Thanks guys, we're glad to hear that you enjoyed your stays at both our hostels.

The best place to stay for travelers to Quito!

A good hostel, with a phenomenal view from the terrace. I would dispute it being 'the best hostel in Ecuador' - it definitely isn't - but it's still a really good stay, worth it for the view, the dinners (which promote a good atmosphere) an the travel agent downstairs - which IS the best I've come across... They're really helpful and will help you sort tours to many different places, including the jungle, cloud forest and volcano. Wifi is good - on the terrace it's turned off at 6pm.

Stayed here on and off for almost 10 nights. Would probably go back Upsides:Big dorms, very friendly and helpful staff, . Not all owners would be as responsive as this one. Well oiled operation, travel agent in hostel is the best I've used in South America. Very informative and the opposite of pushy Downsides: intermittently hot showers. All the stairs are a bit of a pain, dinner at the hostel is a bit small for the price I'd argue (by ecuador standards) but no complaints at all on quality

We did arrive at midnight. I did a confirmed reservation and a deposit with my credit card within hostelworld.com. At my arrival they don't had a clue who I am and told me I don't have a reservation. After more than 1 hour of terrible conversation I got a bed. The stuff wasn't able to organizing standardized things and didn't apologize at all. Up's: beautiful panoramic view at the terrace, good in house travel agency. I don't know why this place is high rated. There are better hostels in Quito

Our reservation system clearly shows that you checked into the hostel during the day, and that you had dinner on our terrace at 7pm and paid for this meal. The comments you have made in this review are clearly not all true. Our hostel was over 90% full during the time you stayed, with more than 70 guests per night. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the hostel as much as everyone else did and I thank you for your feedback.

Amazing view from the rooftop bar, lovely staff, good dinner and breakfast. The wifi isn't great but everything else is.

Terrace at the top is fantastic - amazing view. My dorm was smelly and the shower was ice cold so had to use another one adjacent to another dorm which was a pain. Speaking with a guy I met there said he'd asked to be moved from that dorm for the same reason . Old town in Quito can be a bit of challenge to get to if you are travelling by bus and haven't been there before. Make sure you work out your route and I wouldn't rely advice from the hostel as the advice I received was incorrect.

It is an average hostel, clean and beds are alright. Their staff is pretty slow, even when you are standing in front of them at reception they might notice you only 5 min later, way more attentive though when the owners are around. I found dinner pretty expensive for what you get. It is alright but next time I might check out a different hostel.

Very good stay, sad that the showers were freezing and the prices were quite dear at 3 bucks for a beer but very nice place with a great rooftop bar