The Secret Garden Quito Reviews

Calle Antepara E4-60 y Los Rios, Sector San Blas, Quito, Ecuador

It would be good if there was a computer available for use in the hostel. The volunteers were very friendly, staff were nice enough but not very helpful at resolving problems.

The secret garden is a well run hostel centrally situated for sight seing in Quito. My partner and I have stayed here twice now on our travels and would defiantly recommend it.

the staff was very friendly, especially robert who was the fire tenderer. he was truly ' genuine!! we had the privelege of talking with the owner who made arrangements for us to visit his other hostel location in cotopaxi by giving us a room that had a broken fireplace, as it was full otherwise. my husband who is in EXPERT handyman, was able to find materials on the property and the tools and fixed the firebox so we stayed warm! crystal who is the biz manager was accomodating to our needs a

Thanks guys, we're glad to hear that you enjoyed your stays at both our hostels.

The best place to stay for travelers to Quito!

A good hostel, with a phenomenal view from the terrace. I would dispute it being 'the best hostel in Ecuador' - it definitely isn't - but it's still a really good stay, worth it for the view, the dinners (which promote a good atmosphere) an the travel agent downstairs - which IS the best I've come across... They're really helpful and will help you sort tours to many different places, including the jungle, cloud forest and volcano. Wifi is good - on the terrace it's turned off at 6pm.

Stayed here on and off for almost 10 nights. Would probably go back Upsides:Big dorms, very friendly and helpful staff, . Not all owners would be as responsive as this one. Well oiled operation, travel agent in hostel is the best I've used in South America. Very informative and the opposite of pushy Downsides: intermittently hot showers. All the stairs are a bit of a pain, dinner at the hostel is a bit small for the price I'd argue (by ecuador standards) but no complaints at all on quality

We did arrive at midnight. I did a confirmed reservation and a deposit with my credit card within hostelworld.com. At my arrival they don't had a clue who I am and told me I don't have a reservation. After more than 1 hour of terrible conversation I got a bed. The stuff wasn't able to organizing standardized things and didn't apologize at all. Up's: beautiful panoramic view at the terrace, good in house travel agency. I don't know why this place is high rated. There are better hostels in Quito

Our reservation system clearly shows that you checked into the hostel during the day, and that you had dinner on our terrace at 7pm and paid for this meal. The comments you have made in this review are clearly not all true. Our hostel was over 90% full during the time you stayed, with more than 70 guests per night. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the hostel as much as everyone else did and I thank you for your feedback.

Amazing view from the rooftop bar, lovely staff, good dinner and breakfast. The wifi isn't great but everything else is.

Terrace at the top is fantastic - amazing view. My dorm was smelly and the shower was ice cold so had to use another one adjacent to another dorm which was a pain. Speaking with a guy I met there said he'd asked to be moved from that dorm for the same reason . Old town in Quito can be a bit of challenge to get to if you are travelling by bus and haven't been there before. Make sure you work out your route and I wouldn't rely advice from the hostel as the advice I received was incorrect.

It is an average hostel, clean and beds are alright. Their staff is pretty slow, even when you are standing in front of them at reception they might notice you only 5 min later, way more attentive though when the owners are around. I found dinner pretty expensive for what you get. It is alright but next time I might check out a different hostel.

Very good stay, sad that the showers were freezing and the prices were quite dear at 3 bucks for a beer but very nice place with a great rooftop bar

A bit expensive for what you get,but overall a nice place.

This hostel has the potential to be sensational. Had a fantastic time there, great food, mostly great staff (one exception being the night shift guy, very unhelpful especially when checking in after hours). The major downside is the place shuts down at 11pm and Quito doesn't really have a great night life! No noise or the Gestapo night shift security dude will end you.

This place gets high points for its great view in the common area. Easy to meet other backpackers and I enjoyed fresh breakfast there each morning. I ranked this place average on cleanliness. FYI - double bed room with shared bath means a single bed that sleeps two and shares bath with another room. At least that's what I got. That part was confusing from the website. Would I recommend this place? Yes. Bring ear plugs though.

• 5th Apr 2014

Alright hostel. Expensive for what you get, but has comfy beds and a wonderful view of Quito.

Great stay at the Secret Garden! Good food, good company, and we absolutely loved the upstairs terrace. What a view!

Very friendly helpful place. They cared. The food was great I hasn't stayed in hostel for long time and did not feel out of place travelling with my 23 year old son. We had lovely suite of rooms 2 bed sitting room and bathroom for 68 dollars a night. Great introduction to hosteling in 21 century

Great place! I would definitely go again and recommend. Also go to their hostel in Cotopaxi: it is simply A M A Z I N G !!!

Have stayed at SG several times and am constantly impressed with the staff-hostel is very well run!

Secret Garden Hostel is a fabulous place to stay - absolutely a favorite of the 4 different hostels I stayed at while in Ecuador & Peru! View of Quito excellent, staff attentive, food delicious & love the terrace fire pit! I would highly recommend this hostel to others!

• 7th Mar 2014