The Secret Garden Quito Reviews

Calle Antepara E4-60 y Los Rios, Sector San Blas, Quito, Ecuador

I loved staying here and especially enjoying their amazing terrace overlooked the old city... Almost felt like I didn't need to do any site seeing as I could feel the vibe of the city from the terrace. Is a lovely hostel with everyone ready to help you with any questions. I also liked that they worked closely with the travel agency at the hostel. Very fair prices. Lovely base for your travel around Ecuador.

Great spot to stay in Quito! Beautiful rooftop deck where you eat breakfast and grab drinks at night. Very lovely staff. Would definitely recommend!

Good hostel in a good location in Quito. The rooftop bar has an awesome view over Quito, great place for a beer. The beds are comfortable, hot showers. The travel agency downstairs is super helpful and went above and beyond to help organise an Amazon trip for us.

Very nice hostel located in a very central area. Short walking distance to the main sights of the city. The atmosphere is quite active and young. The staff is really helpful and attentive. I loved their terrace with amazing views of the whole city, simply relaxing and charming. I definitely recommend this hostel! Wifi connection works well and the facilities are good, with clean bathrooms and good hot water system, however I missed windows facing the street. They have a travel agency and taxis!

So much love for this hostel, had an amazing stay. The staff were very friendly, and the rooftop bar is a great place for socializing. Really easy to meet people if you're travelling alone, great atmosphere!

Really amazing place to meet people and have fun. I loved the dinner evenings but the beers should not be 3dollars for a brahma when they're bought for a dollar at the shop. Also the terrace is great but can get cold so maybe it'd be a good idea to get heat lamps that can be turned on when people get cold.

Good things: Great staff, rooftop with a incredible view of the historical center and a great environment to meet people, good options for breakfast (not included) and a different option for dinner every night. Bad things: a loooot of stairs, expensive bar (specially the beer), can't go in with your own drinks, no kitchen you can use.

Having previously stayed in a different hostel in Quito, decided to go for a change and stopped here for one night between the Galapagos and Baños. We wish we'd stayed longer! The roof terrace is undoubtedly the highlight of he secret garden, filled with social guests and very friendly staff. Dinner for less than $5 was delicious and we were delighted to find some tasty coffee on offer from a hostel. Can't recommend it highly enough.

This place has some pretty weird policies. At 11 you will literally get kicked out of the public spaces. They will just turn the lights of and say it's closed. They even turned off the wifi once to get people out. So you basically have to sleep at 11. You are not allowed to bring your own beer either. Overpriced tours are promoted everywhere. No fridge or kitchen, so you have to buy their expensive food. Dorms may be cheap, but they want your cash! The showers gave me an electrical shock. Weird

The staff is awesome, with smiles and any assistance needed. Breakfast and dinner are available on site, great meals on the 5th floor open balcony with views all around! Dinner cooked by Leticia, a real chef!!! Best hostal I´ve ever been in!

• 23rd Oct 2015

Nice roof top bar

What an amazing hostel! The food was delicious and the staff so helpful. It is centrally located and very easy to organise day trips and use the SG as a base. The roof terrace is such fun and a fantastic way to meet fellow travellers. My favourite hostel of South America so far !

The secret garden is a lovely home away from home. The room was very comfortable. The staff were also lovely and helpful. The staff connected us with a taxi (Hugo was our driver) who took us to the Telefrico and then on the middle of the earth tour. Hugo was very friendly, helpful with my continued Spanish lessons and all at a very reasonable price for his time (6 hours!).

• 12th Oct 2015

The room had lowered the price at the time we got there, It was $28 instead of $34 but as I had booked before, they charged me $34 anyway. That already left me with a bad sensation. After that, we asked for a taxi to pick us up to go to the airport which had a fixed tariff of $10 while we knew it was around $6. Taxi driver said that was the owner of SG's arrangement with him. If at least they would have let us know in advance before booking it. So they stole $10 total from us. Great terrace.

Yes, we are offering great deals on some room prices right now. However, like anywhere in the world, our reservation system recorded the room rate at the time you booked.. If you had just mentioned the discrepancy to our receptionist, they would have gladly deducted the difference. Our certified approved safe taxis have fixed fares, and these are clearly displayed throughout the hostel. There is absolutely no obligation to use the safe taxis - guests are welcome to take any taxi they wish.

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed at.

• 10th Oct 2015

Thanks very much - we get a lot of people telling us things like this - it's even nicer to see it in writing :)

Best view of Quito from there rooftop bar. Great way to arrive and see the city, although the reception being on the 3rd floor is a bit of a pain. Nice place for food and drink and a decent place if you want to go out partying also. Rooms we're ok. Nothing special. Good stay overall.

I loved the terrace in this hostel. It is the place to socialize also thanks to their no-wifi policy after 6PM (you can stay connected in your room). Superbe view of the city and nice breakfasts.

Great party hostel. If you're looking for people to meet in Quito, head here. Hostel looks great and is set up great. Only problem is the 11 o clock curfew, which is annoying when you want to chill out on the roof or sofas.

It's a big party place. Good to meet other travellers. Thus it's also noisy.

Thanks for the great review. We're glad that you had such a fun time and that you met lots of other travellers. We accept that the hostel can be a bit busy/noisy when there are a lot of people on the terrace - this is the reason that we close the bar at 11pm. People who want to sleep can still get a good nights sleep and we arrange the party bus or taxis for people who want to keep partying. Thanks again - enjoy the rest of your travels.

Had a great stay here. Staff were great and has a great rooftop bar with good food options. Rooms were comfortable & spacious. Good social rule with wifi in the bar off after 6. This is a problem if you are in the yellow room like me however and avoiding alcohol on any night because the non bar wifi doesn't reach here. Needs sorting. Also try and get to the Cotopaxi hostel, its pretty awesome and worth the extra dollars.