The Strand Hotel Reviews

99 William St, Darlinghurst, Sydney, Australia

Broken kitchen with no cutlery or cups/mugs. People hang out in the biggest dorm only. No fun to be had sorry used to be better years ago.

• 16th Mar 2015
  • Finland

Awfull hostel! Everything was really dirty. You can't even close the window and curtains so a lot of noise and light. The long term guests are out of control and they have no bounderies. They let a friend of them stay in our room for 1 night, he was sleeping on the floor. We also saw one of the guys pie in the shower. The room was very small and didn't even have enough lockers. The fan above my head was disgusting, so was the kitchen. We didn't feel safe and you can't lock toilet or shower!

• 13th Mar 2015
  • Belgium

You get what you pay for!! The bottle shop is a bit terrible but the rooms are okay and everything is clean. The brekky is fantastic and they serve PINTS!

• 27th Feb 2015

The laundry room inconveniently closed at midnight, sometimes earlier, and sometimes I needed to pick up or wash my clothes after then. If the hostel just didn't want people on the rooftop too late, couldn't the laundry room have its own separate door or entrance? Also, I didn't know what to do when I first arrived until the housekeeper chanced by and told me the reception desk was, oddly enough, at the bar. Every time I needed the receptionist, I had to wait for them to serve the bar customers.

• 24th Feb 2015

sorry but this ist the worst Hostel i've ever stayed. rats in the dorm was the top of it. Please invest money in cleaning. Travelers are also human beings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 17th Feb 2015

canceled my reservation on arrival date!!! it was made 3 weeks before!!! they said that they are full.... after 2,5 months still no money back.... never again " HostelWorld.com"

• 7th Feb 2015

As me and my back packing friend checked in at 10pm we were assured from another guest in the room that the hostel would bring us sheets, but when we returned from our night out we were left to sleep on a bare mattress. Not only did we not have a pillow but if it hadn't been for another guest taking down the curtain and putting it over me we would of had no cover either. their was no staff to ask for bedding from and we couldn't use the bathroom alone as it didn't lock. You get what you pay for.

• 7th Feb 2015
  • Scotland

I pay for a week at the end, but when i realized of everything was too late. They have two kitchens but any of them works at all. Most of the fridges dosn´t works as well and the free wifi doesn´t work at all. I spend more time in front of the backpackers inside of the supermarket for using internet and sort my stuff done than actualy inside of the backpackers. The rooftop area where you can drink and chill is full of cockroach, the hostel is dirty the only good thing is the bar downstairs.

• 11th Jan 2015

the room didn't close as well as all the bathroom/toilets etc the ladies bathroom at the second floor was dirty the room was dusty and too hot (with an old fan) staff were not very nice and seemed to be bored But the hotel is well located and not very expensive so I didn't expected an awesome thing

Do not stay here! There were holes in the walls, plasters in the showers that weren't cleaned for the whole 5 night stay! Smells damp and of urine in the hallway, our door didn't shut properly and the lockers were all broken! The kitchen facility's were abismal. Did not feel safe at all would not recommend especially to young females.

• 3rd Jan 2015

The hostel was the cheapest we could get at short notice but the rooms were minimal and the carpets are stained and sticky. We were able to leave our bags for the day but it was in a cleaning closet so not the safest.

The toilets were absolutely filthy and in the three days only one time more or less clean. We can't even lock the door from both toilets in stage 3 and 2. The carpet in the room was also dirty. But the food and the atmosphere were good. And the bed was confortable.

• 31st Dec 2014
  • Switzerland

There was no working locks on toilet doors and the hostel could have been cleaner. Otherwise a nice hostel, good location and a good price.

Disgusting place!

• 28th Dec 2014
  • Switzerland

No common room, very tiny dirty kitchen. Wifi is connected only in the smelly 10 people dorm...

The staff was unfriendly as hell and the athmosphere is terrible. Nobody speaks a word to each other, not even a simple "Hi" when meeting in the stairway... there are Bettler hostels for less money in Sydney!

I am "only" a backpacker, but I also have the right of a clean lifestyle. Everything was so dirty with mold and broken-down. I think the floor has never seen a vacuum cleaner, I noticed as I tried to walk barefoot. In the shared kitchen are a lot of signs, that you have to clean after yourself, but no one did. Not enough fridges for all people in the house and the kitchen on the rooftop closes at 10pm, so it wasn't usable for late working people. It was not possible to lock any toilet. :( :(

• 25th Nov 2014

The location is excellent, just 5 minutes to Kings Cross and 10 to George St. There's limited facilities, only 2 or 3 showers for girls and none of the toilet doors had locks! The kitchen area was flithy, the plates/cutlery set I rented was dirty when I got it and the oven/hob barely worked. It was a nice atmosphere because of the people staying but the staff were rude and unhelpful. You do get free wifi which was a bonus!

it was not all that bad especially if you want to save a dime in $idn€¥. When I checked in and went to see my room, there was a guy humping a girl. My appearance didn't seem to bother them. Later I found out that the girl wasn't a guest at all but selling her body for a free place to sleep. The kitchen/roof terrace basically had fridges and kitchen sinks, ah gee it wouldn't kill you to invest in a kettle and microwave. Fan in the room is welcome but a bit noisy (when you got the top bunk)

Nice staff. Bad British roommate.