The Strand Hotel Reviews

99 William St, Darlinghurst, Sydney, Australia

Quiet but nice hostel, very friendly staff, stayed in 2 bed/4 bed and 6 bed dorm and they were all in good conditions and not stinky at all! Good Price!

Hostel was disgusting. Didn't even use the blankets or sheets, slept on my towel. No AC and no screens on windows so you bake at night. No common room so hard to meet people. Staff was not very friendly. Would not recommend unless you need a private room very cheap.

• 19th Jan 2016

I arrived and the staff were friendly, I got up into my room and it was a mess, the people who stay there are working so it's not great for the average backpacker. The men's bathrooms, there are only 2 with 1 toilet in each, no urinal, so if your waiting for someone then good luck! 2 showers in each bathroom though... Still not a pleasant place to wash. The kitchen was hell!! All of the cupboards were empty because they were disgusting! If you asked me, I'd tell you to go somewhere else! Peace

Good hostel above a café, nice facilities and several kitchens. Big rooftop, which is always a plus. Staff was ok, however the men in the café on the groundfloor seems like they don't like to help guests from the hostel.. After all we would stay here again.

Stayed in a private room for one night. Pretty basic but given the price it seemed reasonable. Location was pretty central as well

The location was pretty good and the pub downstairs have really good but cheap food and drinks! nevertheless we weren't able to look any toilets (girls) and it wasn't very clean, but for 40$ over NYE alright. It is a cheap accommodation and for just a few nights ok if you ok with microwave food or going out.

• 29th Dec 2015

We stayed here just before New year, we'd been to the pub downstairs before which does brilliant food and cheap beer. The rest of the building is not so nice! We stayed in room 11, which was very musty smelling. There were very large cracks in the wall and chunks of plaster missing. The bed was very old and the sheets were stained and old also. The entire room was very run down and depressing. Otherwise the bathrooms were pretty clean and much nicer than the room and the staff were friendly too.

First place in my life ever had no TV

• 3rd Dec 2015

GOOD- Shower gel in showers Nice kitchen with oven Liked having a radio in kitchen They had freezers My room had a fridge Loved the balcony Lockers BAD Rooftop was closed so there weren't many communal areas to meet people Wifi didn't work Barely any toilets Toilets didn't have locks Not all bathroom facilities worked Not enough plugs Run down interior

Run down! Poor customer service! DANGER DO NOT ENTER! Also watch out for the ginger "ladies" man matlow working the bar! Thank god I was only there for 2 days

• 23rd Nov 2015

The kitchen is small and not well equipped. There are no common areas. Few of the men's showers so not work

It's okay but staff were quite rude and had to put a deposit down to have plates and cooking utensils and then they ran out . Shower is basically a tap and our room had a big hole in the wall.

• 17th Nov 2015

Good value for money and had a good atmosphere. However the cleanliness was poor and the hostel seemed to always be in a state of disrepair. Power and water both turned off for some time.

This place is definitely not for everyone I reckon: the vibe is that of an English pub, complete with pub food and obviously Brits. It's hard to judge the rooms because there were 5/6 long term stayers who had their stuff everywhere but that's obviously not on the hostel. Bathrooms seen better days but they were at least kept clean fairly well.

This was THE WORST HOSTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED AT. We had to check in at the bar which was a bit confusing, No elevator, and the room was DISGUSTING. Dirt and cracks all over the walls, stains on the carpet, dirt and sand on the carpet, dirt and sand in the lockers. They only provided a fitted sheet which had holes in it. Large stains on the pillows, and brown spots all over the curtains. Lastly, I stepped on a dead cockroach. We checked out after one night and got a refund.

• 6th Nov 2015

Had to wait an hour to check in as the hotel had one staff member working.

• 31st Oct 2015

No lockers in my room, they should advise that you need to take your own lock to be prepared. besides that it was good for the price

• 30th Oct 2015
  • Mexico

The staff and the bar downstairs are lovely and the food there is really good. The hostel itself is an average hostel but the kitchens are awful so wouldn't recommend if are planning on doing a lot of your own cooking.

• 29th Oct 2015
  • Scotland

Got a bit confused with reception (it's at the bar so check in with the people at the bar). Staff weren't very welcoming to be honest. I'm pretty sure there's only one toilet (with no toilet paper!) and two shower cubicles per level (although I stayed in the 4 bed dorm so no idea if the private rooms have their own ensuite? Wifi didn't work, luckily I only booked a night because a hostel without wifi is just not cool, especially for a traveler.

On an overall we were very happy to stay here. The hostel was near empty when we were there so there was hardly anyone in the kitchen and no noise. Kitchen was great as well, it felt just like a home.