The Strand Hotel Reviews

99 William St, Darlinghurst, Sydney, Australia

I pay for a week at the end, but when i realized of everything was too late. They have two kitchens but any of them works at all. Most of the fridges dosn´t works as well and the free wifi doesn´t work at all. I spend more time in front of the backpackers inside of the supermarket for using internet and sort my stuff done than actualy inside of the backpackers. The rooftop area where you can drink and chill is full of cockroach, the hostel is dirty the only good thing is the bar downstairs.

• 11th Jan 2015

the room didn't close as well as all the bathroom/toilets etc the ladies bathroom at the second floor was dirty the room was dusty and too hot (with an old fan) staff were not very nice and seemed to be bored But the hotel is well located and not very expensive so I didn't expected an awesome thing

Do not stay here! There were holes in the walls, plasters in the showers that weren't cleaned for the whole 5 night stay! Smells damp and of urine in the hallway, our door didn't shut properly and the lockers were all broken! The kitchen facility's were abismal. Did not feel safe at all would not recommend especially to young females.

• 3rd Jan 2015

The hostel was the cheapest we could get at short notice but the rooms were minimal and the carpets are stained and sticky. We were able to leave our bags for the day but it was in a cleaning closet so not the safest.

The toilets were absolutely filthy and in the three days only one time more or less clean. We can't even lock the door from both toilets in stage 3 and 2. The carpet in the room was also dirty. But the food and the atmosphere were good. And the bed was confortable.

• 31st Dec 2014
  • Switzerland

There was no working locks on toilet doors and the hostel could have been cleaner. Otherwise a nice hostel, good location and a good price.

Disgusting place!

• 28th Dec 2014
  • Switzerland

No common room, very tiny dirty kitchen. Wifi is connected only in the smelly 10 people dorm...

The staff was unfriendly as hell and the athmosphere is terrible. Nobody speaks a word to each other, not even a simple "Hi" when meeting in the stairway... there are Bettler hostels for less money in Sydney!

I am "only" a backpacker, but I also have the right of a clean lifestyle. Everything was so dirty with mold and broken-down. I think the floor has never seen a vacuum cleaner, I noticed as I tried to walk barefoot. In the shared kitchen are a lot of signs, that you have to clean after yourself, but no one did. Not enough fridges for all people in the house and the kitchen on the rooftop closes at 10pm, so it wasn't usable for late working people. It was not possible to lock any toilet. :( :(

• 25th Nov 2014

The location is excellent, just 5 minutes to Kings Cross and 10 to George St. There's limited facilities, only 2 or 3 showers for girls and none of the toilet doors had locks! The kitchen area was flithy, the plates/cutlery set I rented was dirty when I got it and the oven/hob barely worked. It was a nice atmosphere because of the people staying but the staff were rude and unhelpful. You do get free wifi which was a bonus!

it was not all that bad especially if you want to save a dime in $idn€¥. When I checked in and went to see my room, there was a guy humping a girl. My appearance didn't seem to bother them. Later I found out that the girl wasn't a guest at all but selling her body for a free place to sleep. The kitchen/roof terrace basically had fridges and kitchen sinks, ah gee it wouldn't kill you to invest in a kettle and microwave. Fan in the room is welcome but a bit noisy (when you got the top bunk)

Nice staff. Bad British roommate.

I stayed in the 10 beds dorm full of nice and friendly people with lots of room for the luggage. The bathrooms are clean, the staff really friendly and the view from the rooftop just great! I really enjoyed my stay!

Our door didn't lock, kitchen not equipment

• 9th Aug 2014