The Student Hotel Amsterdam West Reviews

Jan van Galenstraat 335, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Majority of staff were really friendly and helpful, bathroom was nice but rooms are basic and kitchen facilities are only available if your stay is more than two weeks which we didn't know before we arrived. Location is poor (there is nothing around the hotel) but is very well connected to the city centre and the airport. If you're happy to eat out everyday and use public transport you'll like this hotel.

• 27th Mar 2015

Hi! Thanks for your review and the 4 stars! It’s good to know that you thought our staff were very friendly and helpful. The shared kitchen facilities are indeed only available if you book to stay here for two weeks or longer. Otherwise, booking a suite which has a private kitchen is always a possibility for guests. Another option is our onsite bar/restaurant for small bites, warm dinners or a late beer. We appreciate your review and would be happy to have you again! Carter Jones, Manager

This may sound strange and perhaps silly for someone who hasn't stayed at the hotel. The doors on the room although really heavy (so I assumed they would) did not shut all the way on their own when you left the room. With a normal house door you obviously lock it so you know it's shut, but as we left the room I thought the door would shut behind me. I came back after breakfast to find it was not fully shut.

nice relaxed place!good to chill and stay :)

• 6th Mar 2015

there is no heater inside, have to use the air conditioner.

The Student Hotel Amsterdam provided me and my companion with exactly what we wanted while we stayed in Amsterdam. It was nice being able to head downstairs for breakfast, lunch or dinner when we needed it. if we were feeling as though we wanted a lazy day we would play pool or ping pong downstairs. It was cheap enough to catch the tram into central Amsterdam plus the room provided us with a map of Amsterdam with things to do written on it. I would recommend this hotel to any student any day.

• 7th Jan 2015

Hi! I am very happy to see you fully enjoyed our hotel and its facilities! Thank you for sharing your positive experience among the HostelWorld community. We hope to welcome you back anytime soon! Thanks again, I wish you all the best for your next travels! Carter Jones, Manager

Upon arrival, we were told we had already paid on card via direct debit, rather than paying the remainder up front, like hostelword told us. Also, we were given a key card for a room which was already occupied and had other people's belongings in!!! Other than these bad points, the hotel staff were really friendly, the hotel is really modern, clean and the facilities look great, even though I didn't use them. This hotel doesn't accept cash! So remember to bring a card.

• 6th Jan 2015

A little pricy but you absolutely get what you pay for. Feels more like you're staying in a hotel rather than a hostel.

Was such good value for money and made a real change from the hostels I'm used to, but with with the same vibe. Transport links real easy from town. Really enjoyed my stay. Only draw back is the resterant and bar only take card, so as a traveler working in cash couldn't get anything there and because I was only staying a couple of days couldnt use the kitchens either. But there is a supermarket just accross the road that sorted that out. Ill deff be going back.

• 28th Dec 2014
  • South Africa

An excellent hotel, the room big and clean! It's as u can see it in pictures!A perfect choice for young persons.It's not in the city center but it's not far at all with the bus or metro...I definitely recommend it!

• 24th Dec 2014
  • Greece

I loved this hotel in general and would have rated it much higher if we didn't have such a terrible experience. One night we came back to the room and it looked like they had stopped halfway through cleaning the room. The bed was completely stripped with new (questionable) and old sheets and towels on a pile on the floor near the door and the stripped comforter and pillows pilled on top of the chair. The best the reception could do was say, "that's weird" and we made the bed ourselves. Gross.

Hi! Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you loved our hotel! Although it is an incredibly rare occurrence, your room being left improperly cleaned is absolutely unacceptable on our behalf. I can only sincerely apologise. Feel free to drop us a line if you ever decide to come back! I wish you all the best for your next travels! Carter Jones, Manager

This is a nice hotel, but it was not exactly what I was expecting. This is mostly my fault. It is not a hostel, but a hotel. I think booking it on hostelworld, and the name 'Student Hotel', confused me. I only stayed one night, which was plesant enough. I unbooked the rest of my stay before transfering to a hostel near the city center. The staff was very helpful and there was no problem to unbook. Restaurant has a nice vibe.

Great place, good atmosfare, good valio for the food. Definitely coming back again. )