The Tropics Hotel and Hostel Reviews

1550 Collins Ave, Miami, USA

The location was great - the hostel was close to the beach, shops, and all sorts of things. The hostel had adequate facilities (kitchen, laundry etc), and it's cool they had a pool! My room and bathroom were cleaned daily which was great. Air-con was cold in my shared dorm, the option of a light blanket with the sheets would have been appreciated.

Great location, nice pool, you have everything just Around the corner.

• 30th Oct 2014
  • Spain

my bad was really uncomfortable and I had a back pain while trying to sleep on that mattress although I stayed in a private room! the pillows were not comfortable either!! the rooms are also extremely outdated. some improvement is needed in the bathrooms...

did not get to stay at this hostel, am a black america and did not have my passport with me, just m driver state government licence. was not aloud to stay there

Great place. Great location. Nice Pool and kitchen-dinner-place Great value for money. 2nd time there and will go back when in miami.

it must be cleaned everyday. the location is good. near the bus stop,the mall and the beach. but i stayed in a dorm. its a hostel. but there were so many old people. if u want to make some new young traveler. i dont recommed here.

Nice little hotel near the sea... The only thing i did not like was the girl at night evening reception. I had to make a phone call but i lost my adapter while travelling. When i askt her if i could use her adaptor she first told me she did not have one. When i told her it was the same one she was using on her tablet she told me a other excuse. When i left the reception to go buy a new adapter she immediately start playing games on her tablet again

Good price and an excellent location, everything else was kinda bad. Not only there was a homeless lady staying with us in the room. There was a disturbing percentage of gay people there. I'm not homophobic but if there's people asking me n my friend if we are partners everyday, yes, it is bugging me. And the last thing - our flight was cancelled (from Miami to Europe) and they didn't even let me use their phone.

My one small quibble with this hostel, as I have with most places in the USA, is the complete absence of any re-cycling facilities. Most people that use a hostel are used to this in other countries, it would be nice to have some here. Otherwise good value for money. The cooking facilities are very good.

• 9th Sep 2014

Tropics was a great stop in South Beach, The staff (Taey) were awseome, and the outdoor kitchen was a great hang out.

great location and fantastic price. the only issue is that the kitchen wasn't highly equipped. needs an oven and more kitchen ware at minimum. some more facilities like movies on a night or free walking tours might be good also

The pool is way nicer than the pictures show. You couldn't find a better location. Equal distance from bar areas, clubs and the beach. All within five minute walk. Staff was good especially Tay.

• 27th Aug 2014

Ok. Good. Good friends on the hostel.

• 11th Aug 2014
  • Mexico

Staff perfect, perfect location, pool, clean. The only one problem the noise after 10 pm.

• 1st Aug 2014

You could do with a toaster I the kitchen area. Also the bathroom window don’t open so air fresheners might be an idea. Otherwise great place. The staff were amazing. Especially with my boyfriend asking a million questions

Restroom needs to be cleaned at hostels daily... They need a printer, even if u sell the print-outs, its a basic thing to have....

This was a very good stay for a good price! Location, big rooms and funny and friendly staff.. If any comments they could do more to bring travelers togeather and staff should have more tourist info. But that is just extra points.. The Tropics gets my vote and i would stay there again! Love from Iceland to Miami Tropics staff!

• 19th Jul 2014
  • Iceland

Great location and friendly staff. The common areas are not very comfortable and they could use some tabletops/desk like areas. No lockers in room is a drawback. No way to print. Since travelers often need to print travel documents that is a big drawvack. Otherwise, friendly and clean. I'll be back.

Fantastic location! Right next to South beach and plenty of shops - only thing no supermarkets had to shop in pharmacies! Staff weren't overly helpful. If you want somewhere as a base and don't plan to be there all the time then go here! Good for a budget - we stayed in private double ensuite, very clean but basic :) shame the road works were outside - made no adjustments for accessibility so maybe ring ahead if you need help or have heavy bags. Overall: great!

The Tropics is a funny mixture of a hotel and a hostel and isn't quite either. We stayed in a private room, which was very clean, however the bed was uncomfortable and the walls were very thin, so we woke up a few times to noise in the night. On the other hand, the location is great (only a couple of blocks away from South Beach) and the staff were very helpful in fixing problems with our room, calling a taxi for us and recommending places to eat. Also, we loved the pool!