The Tropics Hotel and Hostel Reviews

1550 Collins Ave, Miami, USA

The walls were so paper thin that it was really hard to sleep, even at 4 in the morning. The pool seemed pretty dirty and I did not see anyone go in it while we were there. The location in Miami Beach was good, but overall, it felt like we were staying in a sleazy motel.

The Location is, without a doubt, perfect. Very close to the Beach and on Collins Ave...what else do you want? OK, it could be cleaner, the rooms could need a good refurbishment and the staff could be a little more attentive and friendly but if you're just staying for a short period or anyway out all day, its ok.

We stayed in a private room. The value for money of this hostel/hotel is far better than that of other hotels in the area. Tropics is right in rhe city centre, one block away from the beach and the rooms and absolutely comfortable, spacious and quiet. The only two things I'd complain about are that there were not enough mugs at breakfast and that although we had written our name, room and date of departure on the papar bag, our bag with food disappeared from the fridge twice.

Pathetic, Unprofessional and Rude hostel. I book a bed in a dormitory, and they forced me to take a private room and pay extra. Probably they oversold their beds, instead of compensating me for their mistake, the front desk lady rudely said "Either pay the full price of a private room or go and find any other hostel". I explained that I have done a booking and have already paid the amount for the bed and she said that she doesn't care.

Your staff did not know much of anything. I have special medical needs to stay in the lower bunk and they did nothing. Besides, they need to learn to explain to guests that hostels are different than hotel. One tenant went to sleep early--7 pm. I arrived at 11:45pm. I had to turn the light on, unpack, etc. The first tenant DID NOT allow me to turn the light on.....Goodness! I explained to your staff and the young gentleman did nothing....Perhaps this issue--guest conduct needs to be clear

• 9th Jan 2016

A very clean and tidy hostel/ hotel, a bit outdated, needs a good refurb! You need lockers in the shared rooms for valuables! Could use a lamp so that the main light doesn't need to be turned on everytome someone enters, or curtains around the beds to block light! The staff were friendly and helpful and very efficient! Could use a hand soap in the toilet of the shared room! Not a bad stay overall!

This is not a hostel just a cheap rundown hotel. The staff weren't very friendly. They scan your Passport too be kept on file without your knowledge or authorisation, they retain your passport on file forever which is open to fraudulent activity. They have No Atmosphere.. What So Ever!!.. No Activities Either .. No security anyone can come & go as they please. No Parking No Lockers No Blankets No Security The best part of the hotel was a cute cat that lays out & a pool.. Thats it!!!

• 6th Jan 2016

One bathroom for eight people wasn't great - needed separate communal ones. Bathroom was filthy. No lockers at all, just tiny safety deposit boxes at reception (didn't even fit a camera). All you get for your bed is a thin sheet. Staff are relatively unhelpful.

Spacious and quiet 4-bed dorm with robust beds. Major drawback: no lockers or any place within the rooms to secure stuff!!

Tay was efficient, informative and helpful! Great pool area!

Location is fantastic, easy to walk around south beach. Good facilities only in my room internet wasn't working but it was in the lobby. Cleanliness not good

We stayed here for just one night and it was good. The hotel is outdated, but the location is perfect and the room was spacious and clean.

The general impression was good: clean, perfect location, good price.....The only thing that I have to complain is about the staff. The guy who was at the desk wasn't very nice. At least with us. In spite of this, I would repeat if I come back to Miami Beach.

• 23rd Dec 2015
  • Spain

Everything is perfect.

The only good thing about this spot is where it is and its cheap enough. But its painted like mental hospital The kichen where u store your food was full of ants which ment when we went back to our food it was full of ants and we had to throw it out also cockroches about 2inchs were in the kitchen too.the walls were paper thin as well. Wifi only in the lounge area. The beds were comfortable enough anyhow. Good laundry facilities.

I stayed there a couple of nights, and the hostel has a very good location and it cheap. I stayed in a room with 4 beds, everything was cleaning.

Wifi in rooms is a must instead of just the lobby.

Great value for money! Easy walk to Ocean blvd and the staff are extremely helpful. Rooms are clean as well as bathrooms. Only problem- no blankets. If you are a cold person like me, bring your own blankets.

• 24th Oct 2015
  • South Africa

Excellent place! Could use better lichen and cooking. Everyone was cooperative.

• 22nd Oct 2015

I work in the hotel industry for many years and staying at Tropics made me feel a little disappointed with the treatment, specially from the management. I have stayed in many hotels and hostels in several countries and I've never been treated so bad as in this. I was behind the the pool area looking for some different plants when the manager came to me and said: "Get out of here! This is not a place for guests." The education makes the difference everywhere! Here, Taey makes the difference!

• 20th Oct 2015