The Venice Beach Hostel Reviews

716 Washington Boulevard, Venice, CA 90291, Los Angeles, USA

The hostel was one of the worst we've ever been. The address mentioned on the website of hostelword.com was not possible to find. We drove around more than 2 hours. After we had the right address they did not have all our reservations. They gave us additional mattresses but no blankets. It was a joke. In the morning, we found the most terrible bathroom. The shower was for men and women but no key to close the door. And the shower curtain was grey from dirt. JUST TERRIBLE! DONT GO THERE!!!!

• 14th Mar 2015
  • Switzerland

It took me four hours to find this hostel - inc. 2 buses &2 taxis - 1 taxi gave up trying to find the hostel. The address on website doesn't exist. When I checked in although it was 2am the hostel employee was drunk. He didn't have my booking despite me showing my hostelworld reservation. He told me the hostel was full and "made me a spot" which was a very thin foam mattress with a sheet over it on the bare floor under a staircase and charged me $30.The lady working in morning was very rude.

Perhaps you should have telephoned with the free number & we could have helped you find us. As per the website the last check in is midnight, if you have not arrived or advised us of a late arrival we are allowed to sell the bed which we did. The staff member did a good job in creating an emergency bed for you, you were actually quite fortunate !

Despite airport pick up advertised this was not available on our stay which was disappointing. We booked a private double with ensuite which turned out to be 2 camp beds with a bathtub and toilet in the same room - not what we were expecting! Staff not particularly friendly or helpful - unable to provide recommendations. Also location wise, at least a 25 min walk to venice beach and not too much around the hostel itself. Wouldn't recommend.

Apologies for the absence of the pick up, you came during a week when the regular staff where away on vacation that week & we were running a temporary staff.

Friendly staff . Hosel In a convenient and safe location

• 5th Mar 2015
  • Wales

A great place! Very welcoming, nice staff, feels like home (:

• 25th Feb 2015
  • Israel

Lovely staff and other people there. This place is cozy and has a nice setup to encourage folks to chat with each other.

• 21st Feb 2015

Ian, the host, is a great guy. The location is all right, not right on the beach, but close enough. On the other hand, if you're a US citizen (not "international"), they're not sure if they want you. It does explain that on their site, but it's fine print. Also, as others have mentioned, the address is confusing. In the GPS, the place is Marina del Rey, not Venice Beach. But regardless, it's a great place and as I say, Ian is first rate.

Welcome was the worst of stay,with reservation I got message to check-in at another site,later we also had to sleep there!No keys for rooms!Hard to find sites-no signs that make you recognize that these are "hostels".Also in afternoon there was nobody to welcome us.Breakfast is ok,but all sites are not of common standard-price-performance ratio=really bad! Also charged us more than said in hostelworld email!! Sorry but do not understand who made the other comments here on hostelworld!

The staff of this hostel is one of the best I've ever seen. They are helpful, really kind and they make you feel at home. This hostel is more like an old house, so that gives something special to the atmosphere, it's nice. The furniture is quite old, especially the beds/mattresses. They should really think about new matesses, because it's not good for your back. The breakfast is nice and the neighbourhood is nice, it's safe to go outside (also at night).

It is not a real hostel, It is a old house with a place to sleep. The private room is inside tha bathroom. To be very honest, It is expensive for what it is. Just for sleep is OK.

Nice, relaxing hostel in a great area! The staff are great, very helpful.

• 22nd Jan 2015

The hostel is pretty nice. It's a big house that now is a hostel. The location is very good to. The staff were friendly. I had a great stay there. The mattress could be a little more comfortable, but it was ok.

15-20 min from the beach, clean, but crowded room and only two showers and toilets Breakfast alright, kitchen and living room nice Too expensive for what you get, old beds and uncomfortable mattresses, little weird that the staff sleeps in same room deposit actually a fee (so you still have to pay the whole amount when you arrive, unless you already have paid a deposit to hostelworld...)

Great hostel, lovely, helpful people. Perfect stay. Many thanks

• 16th Jan 2015

The bathrooms have no lock, there were only locks for the toylet part. I was not wake for the rush hours of the bathroom, but I think that it would not be enough. We even got the private room with bathroom, with consists of one big room with one toylet and one tub, no doors separating anything, no shower.

I liked this place so much the first time around, that when I had to go back to LA, I decided to stay here again. That pretty much says everything about the hostel.

The Hostel doesn't have a Reception Area, no Towels for free, no paper or towel to dry hands in the bathrooms, no heater in the dorms and hostel (which is bad during the winter), no living room to play games. The hostel is far from the beach. No cool and cheap places to go near the hostel. The staff is weird. They don't like to do the things with technology and they have non sense rules.

• 2nd Jan 2015

Only one bathroom with one toilet for an apartment for 10 guests can be pretty difficult. Its been also damn cold in the rooms, because you cant really close all windows. Ok, maybe california in december isnt such a good idea, but anyway, freezing at night with a paid roof over the head is sad. But to be fair: the furniture and location is pretty good :)

• 29th Dec 2014

Sorry that it was so cold, you just happened to visit during the coldest few days in 20 yrs These buildings are not really designed for cold weather but 80 f is forecast for Tuesday !

It's a really good hostel, it's like family house. The location is perfect for that people that want to visit venice beach and santa monica. The staff is nice, the help you in all you need and the treat you in a really friendly way. I had a good experience in this hostel so I recommend it to every traveler

• 25th Dec 2014
  • Spain

Staff were lovely and it's a real cosy place to stay. It's 15 minutes away from the beach (there's another one nearer to the beach but we were put up here instead because the other one was full) and close to a grocery store and bars.