The Venice Beach Hostel Reviews

716 Washington Boulevard, Venice, CA 90291, Los Angeles, USA

Great hostel, lovely, helpful people. Perfect stay. Many thanks

• 16th Jan 2015

The bathrooms have no lock, there were only locks for the toylet part. I was not wake for the rush hours of the bathroom, but I think that it would not be enough. We even got the private room with bathroom, with consists of one big room with one toylet and one tub, no doors separating anything, no shower.

I liked this place so much the first time around, that when I had to go back to LA, I decided to stay here again. That pretty much says everything about the hostel.

The Hostel doesn't have a Reception Area, no Towels for free, no paper or towel to dry hands in the bathrooms, no heater in the dorms and hostel (which is bad during the winter), no living room to play games. The hostel is far from the beach. No cool and cheap places to go near the hostel. The staff is weird. They don't like to do the things with technology and they have non sense rules.

• 2nd Jan 2015

Only one bathroom with one toilet for an apartment for 10 guests can be pretty difficult. Its been also damn cold in the rooms, because you cant really close all windows. Ok, maybe california in december isnt such a good idea, but anyway, freezing at night with a paid roof over the head is sad. But to be fair: the furniture and location is pretty good :)

• 29th Dec 2014

Sorry that it was so cold, you just happened to visit during the coldest few days in 20 yrs These buildings are not really designed for cold weather but 80 f is forecast for Tuesday !

It's a really good hostel, it's like family house. The location is perfect for that people that want to visit venice beach and santa monica. The staff is nice, the help you in all you need and the treat you in a really friendly way. I had a good experience in this hostel so I recommend it to every traveler

• 25th Dec 2014
  • Spain

Staff were lovely and it's a real cosy place to stay. It's 15 minutes away from the beach (there's another one nearer to the beach but we were put up here instead because the other one was full) and close to a grocery store and bars.

Fantastic atmosphere, nice personel. Had a great time!

This place has two addresses most likely you will not be able to check in with the listed address. Make sure to check your emails!! Staff were helpful and the area is good and it's easy to get to the airport!

We had our problems even in finding the hostel reception because the room was in a different building, half a mile away. They provide free parking, but it's the 2-hour-parking next to the street (we had a ticket after). The price is much too high for this shabby room (very small and unheatened). The bathroom was dirty with a carpet soaked up with water. When we talked to the employees there, they were not at all reasonable. A very bad deal (we are long term travellers and saw a lot of hostels).

The parking was 24/7 during your stay except for Monday when they street clean 7.30am to 9.30am - you parked directly below the sign informing you of the cleaning times _ we are sorry you got a ticket but you are responsible for your vehicle.

The kitchen is terribly dirty, microwave has 3 years worth of food in it. I had to change arrival dates and this angered the Hostel owner, I could understand that if the Hostel was at capacity, but it was empty. Not a pleasant experience.

• 19th Nov 2014

Changing the dates was not a problem - it was the hourly e-mails received for 3 days constantly changing dates which was very time consuming and that we are a hostel & not a hotel as we tried to explain.

When I stayed here, hot shower was broken!! So I could use only cold shower;(. But the staff is kind:). This is a nice hostel.

• 8th Nov 2014
  • Japan

Some people might not like it but I think that the fact that the hostel is set in what it looks like a big house makes it really cozy and welcoming. Staff is very helpful and kind and I didn't have any issues with dirt or anything like that. My stay was very pleasant and I made some really nice traveling memories there. The breakfast is good and the laundry machines have a fair price. I recommend it to anyone!

Hostel has a very great and relaxed atmosphere, and it's wonderfully located just a 10 minute walk away from Venice Beach.

The staff is outstanding and very welcoming! The way they have greeted me and went out of their way to show me the highlights of the surrounding, can definitely make a difference when staying in a new city! Thanks for that...

• 25th Oct 2014

The hostel was great everything you need and more with breakfast and friendly staff. Iain the boss was great very funny English man, I had a great stay !!! See you guys soon

• 22nd Oct 2014

I bought one privete room with privete bath, and the room has no shower and the sanitare vase in the midle of the room. Totaly digusting!!!! I had to transpass into the other room to reach my room!!! Is this private????? Very bad!!!!

• 21st Oct 2014

Very cosy place. Like a small house where good people meet and hang out:-) slept both in the private room in the main house and in the dorm. Decided to have a few days extra there since the place was so good. Really friendly staff as well. Recommended:)

• 19th Oct 2014
  • Sweden

Location was not as expected. The room was very tiny and not value that price. The kitchen was well equiped but in total the place was pretty used. It was far away from the beach. They also run two facilities, so you have to run from one to another to get breakfast or to get Access to the laundry. Before Booking try to make sure the room is in yale ave because regarding the facilities it's the More convenient one, but it's more far to the beach. You have Pay an extra Charge for Credit Card.

• 17th Oct 2014

The hostel is in a good location, close to a grocery store, several restaurants and car rentals. The bathroom and kitchen were okay and kept clean. The laundry room was also functional. To use the washing machine it cost $2 and the dryer $1.5 which is not too bad. The only negative thing to say, is that the owner is phishy. He seems friendly, but he rips off travelers and blames Hostelworld. After paying the deposit online, he demands full payment though you have paid a sum already.

• 11th Oct 2014
  • Sweden

As explained - all prices exclude tax !