The Venice Beach Hostel Reviews

716 Washington Boulevard, Venice, CA 90291, Los Angeles, USA

You can not even lock the shower as it just has a curtain. There were not ladders to the top bunk.

• 9th May 2015

Little unfair Kiralee, you were picked up from the airport saving you $25 in a taxi, the shower has a nice door as you are aware & you chose a top bunk when many other beds were available !!

good breakfast, nice staff

• 1st May 2015

Great location - 10 min walk to Venice Beach. Double room was extremely simple and located in the other building on Washington (main bld is on Yale). This location is less crowded so probably cleaner and quieter, but the main house feels more "homey", also the majority of the guests stay there so more people to hang out with. Breakfast is great and the bike rental is very cheap. Ian the owner is super cool and kind. Overall great atmosphere but expensive for what you get with the double room.

• 27th Apr 2015

Had a wonderful stay. Got picked up straight from the airport! It's in a great location, there are 2 Venice Beach Hostels which can be a bit confusing- that's my only criticism. The people are so friendly and helpful. Thanks Ian for answering all our questions! There are lockers (bring your own lock) and in terms of security I felt safe in the hostel. Kitchen is all you expect and the free breakfast is very nice. Big shared bathroom, good price, would stay again. Sarah and Loretta

• 19th Apr 2015

Nice, but basic hostel. Not that close to the sea.

• 18th Apr 2015

Great stay, 10 minute walk to the venice beach awesome bars and shops close by, great kitchen for cooking for your self. Ian the owner is very helpful and great chat. Definitely recomend to anyone looking to fully enjoy their time in LA

• 5th Apr 2015

Attention: This hostel is not at the Venice Beach!! When I booked and checked on Google maps it showed it would be right next to the beach. In addition to that they just transfered me to another hostel (first they said it would only be for check in) which turned out to be in a calm neighbourhood, about 30 minutes walk to the beach (the hostel staff kept saying 15 minutes which is absolutely not true, I talked to other people in the hostel). I wouldn't recommend this hostel honestly.

• 19th Mar 2015
  • Switzerland

We do not claim to be on the beach & our address if you google it is a 15 min walk to Venice Pier !!

The hostel was one of the worst we've ever been. The address mentioned on the website of hostelword.com was not possible to find. We drove around more than 2 hours. After we had the right address they did not have all our reservations. They gave us additional mattresses but no blankets. It was a joke. In the morning, we found the most terrible bathroom. The shower was for men and women but no key to close the door. And the shower curtain was grey from dirt. JUST TERRIBLE! DONT GO THERE!!!!

• 14th Mar 2015
  • Switzerland

It took me four hours to find this hostel - inc. 2 buses &2 taxis - 1 taxi gave up trying to find the hostel. The address on website doesn't exist. When I checked in although it was 2am the hostel employee was drunk. He didn't have my booking despite me showing my hostelworld reservation. He told me the hostel was full and "made me a spot" which was a very thin foam mattress with a sheet over it on the bare floor under a staircase and charged me $30.The lady working in morning was very rude.

Perhaps you should have telephoned with the free number & we could have helped you find us. As per the website the last check in is midnight, if you have not arrived or advised us of a late arrival we are allowed to sell the bed which we did. The staff member did a good job in creating an emergency bed for you, you were actually quite fortunate !

Despite airport pick up advertised this was not available on our stay which was disappointing. We booked a private double with ensuite which turned out to be 2 camp beds with a bathtub and toilet in the same room - not what we were expecting! Staff not particularly friendly or helpful - unable to provide recommendations. Also location wise, at least a 25 min walk to venice beach and not too much around the hostel itself. Wouldn't recommend.

Apologies for the absence of the pick up, you came during a week when the regular staff where away on vacation that week & we were running a temporary staff.

Friendly staff . Hosel In a convenient and safe location

• 5th Mar 2015
  • Wales

A great place! Very welcoming, nice staff, feels like home (:

• 25th Feb 2015
  • Israel

Lovely staff and other people there. This place is cozy and has a nice setup to encourage folks to chat with each other.

• 21st Feb 2015

Ian, the host, is a great guy. The location is all right, not right on the beach, but close enough. On the other hand, if you're a US citizen (not "international"), they're not sure if they want you. It does explain that on their site, but it's fine print. Also, as others have mentioned, the address is confusing. In the GPS, the place is Marina del Rey, not Venice Beach. But regardless, it's a great place and as I say, Ian is first rate.

Welcome was the worst of stay,with reservation I got message to check-in at another site,later we also had to sleep there!No keys for rooms!Hard to find sites-no signs that make you recognize that these are "hostels".Also in afternoon there was nobody to welcome us.Breakfast is ok,but all sites are not of common standard-price-performance ratio=really bad! Also charged us more than said in hostelworld email!! Sorry but do not understand who made the other comments here on hostelworld!

The staff of this hostel is one of the best I've ever seen. They are helpful, really kind and they make you feel at home. This hostel is more like an old house, so that gives something special to the atmosphere, it's nice. The furniture is quite old, especially the beds/mattresses. They should really think about new matesses, because it's not good for your back. The breakfast is nice and the neighbourhood is nice, it's safe to go outside (also at night).

It is not a real hostel, It is a old house with a place to sleep. The private room is inside tha bathroom. To be very honest, It is expensive for what it is. Just for sleep is OK.

Nice, relaxing hostel in a great area! The staff are great, very helpful.

• 22nd Jan 2015

The hostel is pretty nice. It's a big house that now is a hostel. The location is very good to. The staff were friendly. I had a great stay there. The mattress could be a little more comfortable, but it was ok.

15-20 min from the beach, clean, but crowded room and only two showers and toilets Breakfast alright, kitchen and living room nice Too expensive for what you get, old beds and uncomfortable mattresses, little weird that the staff sleeps in same room deposit actually a fee (so you still have to pay the whole amount when you arrive, unless you already have paid a deposit to hostelworld...)